The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I love the additional footage, part 2 is a difficult watch for me as it always feels neutered. And now finally it's got its balls back.

NaturesMistake and indrid13 like this.
  2. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Quote of the day.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 14TH:

49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest" (HBO Max) - I guess I spoke too soon in wondering if they were going to wrap things up on account of the season being cut short. Episode 14 solves both of the season-long mysteries of who killed Lucy and Tiffany, and it wraps everything up quite nicely. It would have made for a strong season finale, although there are still four episodes left. Anyway, episode 13 was the "dream" episode I feared it would be. I hate when TV shows do that. Fortunately, it isn't the entire episode. Episode 14 is my favorite episode of the season so far, solving the big mysteries and leaving us with a tiny cliffhanger. Curious to see what the remaining four episodes will contain...

LOVECRAFT.png

50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost" (DVR / HBO) - Episode 3 switches genres yet again, delivering another strong episode, this time a self-contained haunted house story. Leti buys an old house to share with her sister, unaware it is haunted by the ghosts of 8 dead black people. If that wasn't enough, the white neighbors aren't especially welcoming. This takes a familiar haunted house story and twists it in a really unique way, telling it through a perspective we haven't really seen before. The evil haunting the house might not be what Leti and the audience thinks it is, and it uses the familiar haunted house tropes to misdirect. The Blair Witch style opening text and the Amityville Horror "Day x" titles were maybe a bit silly, but it worked for me. Like the previous episodes, the haunted house story here is entirely contained to this episode, while keeping the through-line of these characters. Curious to see what genre episode 4 will tackle. Great show so far!

NIGHT TERROR.png

51.) Night Terror (1989) (DVD) - This is a late '80s horror anthology that slipped under my radar until the recent DVD release from Massacre Video. As far as '80s horror anthologies go, this one is pretty low-rent, down there with Screamtime. That's not to say it doesn't have its charms though. We get three stories here, with the wraparound suggesting they are the "night terrors" of a mental patient. Up first, there's a sleazy and misogynistic guy who ends up at a Halloween party with the wrong woman. The second was probably my least favorite, and involves a scummy corporate type who plans to demolish an amusement park to build a mall, then finds himself haunted by a mysterious carnival barker. Finally, three criminals kill a toy shop owner, forcing his toys (which also happen to sing catchy jingles) to take revenge. I'd say this one is for '80s horror completests only. It's fun in spurts, but overall it's nothing special.

MORTUARY.png

52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019) (SHUDDER) - Wasn't planning on doing two horror anthologies in a row, but this one got added to SHUDDER before I went to bed last night, so I figured why not. This was a pleasant surprise for me. The title is silly and I wasn't expecting much, but as far as horror anthologies go, I thought it was quite strong. The wraparound concerns an inquisitive girl being told stories by the local mortician (Clancy Brown). The first is a quick little five minute thing that isn't even worth mentioning, but the others are quite substantial and good. The second story is twisted and fun, concerning a sleazy frat boy who finds himself pregnant after having unprotected sex with a girl, despite her insistence he wear a condom. It sounds really silly, and it is, but it's surprisingly effective and well-done. Up next, we have a husband who finally decides his comatose wife has become too much of a burden, resulting in an extremely macabre comedy of errors when he decides to poison her. Finally, they saved the best for last, as we get the tale of a babysitter (played by the same inquisitive teen from the wraparound) who is being stalked on the job by an escaped child murderer. This is a really great little slasher tale. There's even a movie within a movie element where they're watching a fake-movie called The Babysitter Murders, and even that looks fun. If I had a complaint about the movie, it would be that it's maybe a little too long. I thought it was great fun though. Very entertaining and highly recommended.
    Bit of trivia: The Mortuary in the movie is the Flavel House Museum in Astoria, Oregon, also featured briefly in The Goonies.

OCTOBER 15TH:

MEMORIAL.png

53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (aka Memorial Day) (1989) (Blu-ray) - I had this on DVD as part of a multi-movie set, where the transfer was incredibly soft and made it look like a SOV movie. Having seen it like that before, it's stunning how good this Vinegar Syndrome transfer looks. As far as slasher movies go, this is a pretty silly one. Maybe the goofiest looking killer the genre has to offer (worth mentioning, the actor went on to play Leonardo in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies). The body count doesn't kick in until the final third of the movie (at which point it does rack up quite the body count), but this one manages to coast for most of the running time on charm alone. It's incredibly '80s and incredibly fun. Fans of movies like Moonstalker or Vinegar Syndrome's own Berserker should love it. I'd almost say they should have saved it as a surprise title for their annual Memorial Day sale, but I'm just happy to have this beautiful 4K restoration of this silly little '80s slasher.

GOOSEBUMPS.png

54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also includes episodes: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster) (DVD) - Another Goosebumps DVD, this time with 4 episodes, since Monster Blood is a 2-parter. Monster Blood is a green growing slime that young Evan finds in a forbidden upstairs room when he goes to visit his bizarre great aunt. In the follow-up episode More Monster Blood, the growing green goo follows Evan on his plane ride home to Atlanta. In How To Kill A Monster, written and directed by Prom Night 2 / 3 scribe Ron Oliver, newly minted step-siblings arrive at their grandparent's house in the swamp to find it full of monsters and gumbo. Finally, we come to one of the classic Goosebumps episodes, The Girl Who Cried Monster, where nobody believes monster-obsessed teenager Lucy when she discovers that the local librarian is a real-life monster. This episode has quite the memorable twist ending, and is often cited as a fan favorite. Overall, another very entertaining batch of episodes.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 15th: Fantasy Island, season 3, espisode 23 (Eagleman/Children of Mentu)

Mann Korr.png

I remember seeing a TV spot for this episode as a kid and being frightened by the disfigured tribal warrior. It's about a young aspiring reporter out to find out what happened to a doctor who disappared in the jungle years ago. She finds him quite easily, only to learn that he is in voluntary exile, trying to right a wrong. See, 30 years before he had invested in a company that exploited the indigenous population. A native boy, Mann Korr, was horribly disfigured by having a torch thrust into his face or something. Mann Korr now leads a group of outcasts and seeks revenge against the doctor. The shock value of disfigurement may not be politically correct these days, but finding the episode some three decades later, I can see why it left an impression on me. The story could have been fleshed out more (heck, this could have been worked into an awesome Italian cannibal movie), but as this is Fantasy Island, it's kept short to make room for the second story about a father who tries to bond with his young son by dressing up as his favourite super hero.

October 15th: Prophecy

Prophecy.png

Environmental horror. Yes, the one with the mutant bear. The bear has often been ridiculed, but to me, it's perfectly acceptable as a B-movie monster. I will admit, though, that the head of the second mutant bear we see at the very end of the movie looks much more frightening - almost corpse-like, with the skin peeled off to reveal the underlying tissue and bone. Of course, it did have a 12 million dollar budget, so you might argue that it should have had a better bear, but there are also plenty of big, impressive shots, the complete demolishing of a cabin (the bear rips off the roof, which is pretty awesome), and a fine cast. In fact, I think my favourite moment is when the doctor has figured out what has been causing the various mutations in the area. He yabbers on and on about mercury being a mutagen that jumps the placental barrier, going all the way up through the food chain via the fish, causing freakism even in the local population. And there sits his wife, listening to him, trying to work up the courage to tell him she's pregnant. And that she's eaten local freaky fish. And you just wanna yell at him, "shut up, you insensitive klutz!"

October 16th: War of the Worlds (1953)

War of the Worlds.png

I remember watching The Thing from Another World last year. These movies are like a time capsule. One thing that really amused me was how when the men were busy trying to solve the problem, the women were busy making coffee for the men. Maybe so that the men would have the energy to solve the problem? Anyway, the roles were clearly defined. War of the Worlds features one such scene where, in a moment of crisis, the heroine is right there with a fresh pot for the men. It made me chuckle. That said, this is a classic, and even if the effects are of their time, plenty of excitement is generated when the Martian machines vaporise and blow up people, military vehicles, and even huge buildings. The climax, with Los Angeles burning and looters resorting to violence to highjack every vehicle they can find is frighteningly realistic and dramatically satisfying. Of course, this is the 50's, so our scientist protagonist is a square-jawed hunk, and the heroine's hair is perfect even after one plane crash and two buildings collapsing on her.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHA

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I remember absolutely nothing about that film, save Rhona Mitra in that scene. Yowza.

NaturesMistake and indrid13 like this.
  7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

21. Black Magic Rites (Renato Polselli, 1973)

[​IMG]

Absolutely incomprehensible. I struggled to watch this over the course of 3 nights. I would repeatedly fall asleep, wake up not understanding what was going on, then rewind it a bit, assuming I had missed portions of the plot. I hadn't. After reading some online synopses, it appears that everyone else was just as confused as I was. At some point in the past a witch is burned at the stake. Modern day disciples plan to resurrect her using various female body parts. A swinging party ensues, and various people have sex and are killed. And that's it. What little plot there might be is undermined further by the horrific editing. Flashback scenes (often just frames) are inter-cut with the contemporary story with such frenetic violence as to be seizure-inducing. It makes it impossible to follow whats going on or where anyone is in relation to anyone else.

The only redeeming qualities are the visuals. The setting is beautiful, an old castle surrounding by striking mountain vistas. The many actresses (also beautiful) spend most of the film in various stages of undress. And there is some great Bava-esque use of colourful lights. So at least it is occasionally engaging to look at. Terrible, terrible film, though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 15th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

36) Tales from the Hood 3: Trying to elude an unseen evil, six-year-old Brooklyn tells elderly William four scary stories as danger looms. I’ve never been a huge fan of this franchise, and this entry didn’t really change my opinion. I will say this was a step above the previous film, with a slightly better selection of stories and higher budget, but it’s not anything special. The real standouts are segment two, featuring Cooper Huckabee as a delusion, racist militia man, and segment four, where a young thief finds himself at the mercy of a voodoo curse. The first and third segments are by no means bad, but they are beyond predictable. It was also good to see Tony Todd in the wrap arounds – he never disappoints – serving as a menacing lead villain of sorts. Check it out if you like the series, just don’t expect anything exceptional or original. (5/10)

37) 10/31: A collection of five short stories that take place on Halloween. I went in with no expectations and ended up sitting through a complete train wreck. I personally believe horror anthologies succeed when they keep the stories as simple and straight forward as possible, and this film does the opposite. All the segments feel like feature length films condensed into 20-minute shorts, making for confusing plot elements and nonsensical character motivations. The cinematography is some of the worst I’ve seen, giving the film a flat, dull, and lifeless feel. Segment three in particular was underexposed and foggy, making the majority of it uneasy on the eyes. The acting is something else too, making me think the majority of the cast was friends/family members of the filmmakers. If I can give this any compliments, it does have a pretty decent synth score, and the special effects – for the most part – are solid considering the budget. A waste of time and one of the worst horror anthologies I’ve ever seen. (2/10)

** "Tales from the Hood 3" is available on VOD. "10/31" is available on Amazon Prime.

9. indrid13

She's really gorgeous in that movie.

NaturesMistake and dave13 like this.
  10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #19:
    The Monolith Monsters (1957)
    Rewatch (Universal's Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection DVD)
    *** (out of 5)

Outside the box monster movie eschews the usual man in suit for an unstoppable alien rock that grows and multiplies when it gets wet. Wish it had stronger characters, but definitely a unique standout in the Universal horror pantheon.

[​IMG]
    Movie #20:
    Master of the World (1961)
    First Time Viewing (Scream Factory's Vincent Price Collection III Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    13. OPEN SOAR: This one should focus on flying or aviation somehow.

You'd think Vincent Price vs. Charles Bronson on a futuristic flying whatsit would be more exciting.

[​IMG]
    Movie #21:
    I Married a Witch (1942)
    First Time Viewing (HBO Max)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)

Was thinking this felt more like a standard sitcom than a classic screwball comedy for the first act. But then I got pulled away from the movie and when I restarted it a few hours later, I was cracking up. Its magic rubbed off on me.

[​IMG]
    Movie #22:
    Maximum Overdrive (1986)
    Rewatch (Vestron Video Collector's Series Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    14. THE MONSTER MILE: One about cars or racing.

Over-the-top kills keep it entertaining as the over-the-top characters grate.

[​IMG]
    Movie #23:
    Eye of the Cat (1969)
    First Time Viewing (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    *** (out of 5)
    15. HELL ON FOUR WHEELS: Must involve characters in wheelchairs.

Features a scene like the one in Arachnophobia where the lead recalls his paralyzing fear developing as a helpless child. But here it's a story about a cat crawling up a baby so it just sounds adorable.

[​IMG]
    Movie #24:
    Monster on the Campus (1958)
    First Time Viewing (Universal's Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection DVD)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

The monster being a guy in an ill-fitting mask ain't great, but then he throws an axe in a dude's face so I'm really torn on this one.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Yeah, I call shenanigans. I bought a pack of those "add water and the rocks grow" Monolith Monsters as a kid.

[​IMG]

They just sat in the jar and collapsed when my sister bumped the table. Not once did they demolish the school, or petrify the neighbor's dog.

If you can't believe 50s movie science and novelty store clearance sales, then what can you believe?

12. indrid13

[​IMG]

Day 15. HELL ON FOUR WHEELS: Must involve characters in wheelchairs.

Movie # 29
    Silver Bullet (1985) (DVD)

I've seen this one so many times over the years. A great film to just chill out with. Gary Busey really is the mvp of this movie.

[​IMG]

Movie # 30
    Wish Upon (2017) (Bluray)

Best dollar I've ever spent on a bluray. This movie is ridiculous in the best way. I laughed my ass off. Ryan Phillippe as a saxophone playing, professional garbage picker single dad. In what feels like a a horror movie made for the Ion Channel written by old people who think they know what hip is.

baggio, Colin, Kim Bruun and 7 others like this.
  13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight's viewing

The Mortuary Collection

On the cusp of retirement, an eccentric mortician recounts several of the strangest stories he's encountered in his long career, but things take a turn for the phantasmagorical when he learns that the final story - is his own.

If you have shudder you have to watch this a superb anthology movie, there are 4 stories and they are all great. I had a grin from the beginning to the end. One of my favorite movies of 2020!

Never hike in the snow - friday 13th fan film

3 months prior to the events ofNever Hike Alone (2017) that follows the strange disappearance of Mark Hill, a Crystal Lake resident who went for a hike in the dead of winter and never came home.

It's only 30 mins log but it was enjoyable, nicely shot, a couple nice gores scenes and great to see Tommy again. Well worth a visit.

14. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

October 12
    Nightbeast (Blu):

This film is utterly hilarious. It's literally just an alien crash landing and going on a killing spree with his laser gun, and then his claws. It's terrible, but a good time, and there is some decent gore for the budget.
    98F54535-7A80-48F4-BECD-8781500A830E.jpeg

October 13th
    Chrystal Lake Memories (DVD):

This documentary was an excellent compliment to the book. I watched the material on films 1-4, it's crazy that the tape regarding Part 2's missing footage was mentioned here all those years ago, and because of this mention by Greg Nicotaro, I always hoped the footage would be found.
    478699FD-1D01-43FC-AC25-C61731BC9C81.jpeg

October 14th
    Friday the 13th Part II (Blu):

I always loved part II and it is one of my favorites in the series and ended up being the first I popped in after opening my new set (though the first is still the best). This was always the scariest representation of Jason, and it had the most likeable characters.

Regarding the missing gore, I never noticed that a clue to what was missing during Alice's death was always in the film! If you freeze frame before the cutaway, you can see the ice pick effect poking out ever so slightly from her nose. All of these years, and nobody even had a clue about her extended death when it was right in front of our own noses!

Also, a youtuber MFMT did an awesome recut of the kills that need to be seen.

I enjoy the film more now having seen what was missing. It's silly, but it's like a childhood dream come true to see the these storied effects. To date, we only now have two Friday films left to unearth footage for (parts 3 and 5)... Oh how far we've come in the last 20 years.

5D91B6EE-BD6D-4038-BADB-393925D7A6F8.jpeg
    DBDA21B0-6190-4162-9193-AE4C772F24E0.jpeg

15. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 16

66. Just Before Dawn (1981) Blu - Second time I have watched this one about a group of friends who head to the back country to claim property and end up being stalked by a killer. I think I liked this one better the second time. Maybe I was a bit more focused. Really liked the location as well. Beautiful country that I believe was Silver Falls State Park in Oregon.

67. The Cabin In The Woods (2011) Blu - Crazy movie that feels like The Evil Dead at first and then just goes apeshit eventually. The first time I watched it years ago, just didn't like it. I think I watched it last year and my who perception changed. Now I find it fun and just batshit crazy.

68. Friday The 13th Part III (1982) Blu - Watched this tonight in 3D. With the minor issue that the film has early on with the 3D aside, this movie looks amazing. The transfer looks good and the rest of the 3D really popped out. I did check out my tin box version of this with the anaglyph version and the opening credits popped the same way, never really leaving the screen, but having lots of depth within the screen. I guess it is a difference from the version in theaters. Never saw it that way, so I rely on those who have. The new version overall looks much better than that in the tin. Even though not the best film of the bunch, I still enjoyed it as it looked so good. Can't wait to get the replacement with the fix and check it out.

69. The Evil (1978) Blu - I watched this last year for the first time. I remembered seeing the VHS in the rental stores all of the time, but never really checked it out. I had to chase a copy down on ebay as I missed it when it was released. The story is about a doctor that buys a Civil War era mansion and has friends come to help fix it up. Things are not what they seem as the story goes on. Decent enough movie with an interesting story.

~Rocker10

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 16th: Massage Parlor Murders

A detective is assigned to a case involving the murder of his favorite prostitute. He also has a wife, but she's no fun. More prostitutes are murdered, and his partner falls in love with a massage parlor girl, who claims she isn't a prostitute. Sounds like fun, right? Well... with a title like that, you better deliver on the sex and violence. And in that regard, Massage Parlor Murders is a bit tame. It tries to make up for it with a car chase where the cop (the good-looking one of the detective duo, fortunately), wears nothing but a towel. But come on, the title is Massage Parlor Murders, not Massage Parlor Car Chase. Much like Don't Answer the Phone! and the underrated Killer's Delight, there is a lot of focus on the police procedural, but it's not very well done here. In fact, the two detectives ultimately play no role in the resolution of the plot:

Via an improbable realization, one cop figures out where the next murder will take place. But they arrive too late. The intended victim, who we've only seen once before in the movie, has already splashed alcohol on the serial killer and set him on fire.

Massage Parlor Murders does feature Sandra Peabody as the good-looking detective's love interest, and Brother Theodore, who gets rough-handled by one of the other detective simply for being an oddball. Horror fans will recognise Brother Theodore's voice from the trailers for The House by the Cemetery, Mad Doctor of Blood Island, and Superstition. He induces some of the same madness here, but overall, Massage Parlor Murders is a bit on the dry side.

17. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Haunt DVD
    The Houses That October Built BD

Haunt is a great modern day Horror film. Set during Halloween and in a haunted house attraction, this film delivers with some good kills and atmosphere. The same goes for The Houses That October Built, only done in a found footage style. I enjoy watching this film every Halloween season. The sequel not so much.

Bats Prime
    Vampires Prime

I haven't seen Bats since renting it on VHS years ago. Saw that this was on Prime and decided to give it a go. I have to admit that I really enjoyed watching this again. It's just mindless campy fun from the late nineties that cuts to the chase and delivers the cheese. I decided to pair this up with another late nineties Horror film, John Carpenter's Vampires. A solid Carpenter film and a good Vampire movie as well. James Woods is great in it.

Fear Dot Com Prime
    Thir13en Ghosts BD

First time watching Fear Dot Com and while I thought the film was a bit of a mess, I still somehow quite enjoyed it. Part crime drama, part sci fi thriller, part ghost movie, part torture porn, part whatever. This movie was all over the place. I guess it was trying to be like Seven or 8MM wrapped in early 2000's Horror. Either way, I kinda liked the dark rainy look of the film so I'll give it a pass. Thir13en Ghosts may not be one of the best Horror remakes out there, but it did have a couple great gory kills. The story was interesting but still found the movie a bit boring. Shannon Elizabeth was nice to look at though.

Tales From The Darkside vol. 1 LD
    Tales From The Darkside: The Movie BD
    From Beyond The Grave BD

I decided to whip out the ol' Laserdisc of Tales From The Darkside vol. 1 and give it a spin before I watched the new Scream Factory bluray of the movie. There are four episodes of the TV series on the disc - Word Processor Of The Gods, Slippage, Djin No Caser and Anniversary Dinner. All the episodes were fun my favorite one being Djin No Chaser. About a couple who buys a magic lamp with a genie who doesn't want to grant wishes but instead harasses them. I love all three stories in Tales From The Darkside: The Movie. The wraparound was great as well. I watched this movie a lot growing up and it stills holds up. One of my favorite anthology films. From Beyond The Grave is an anthology film from Amicus that I think should get more love. I enjoyed all the stories and the wraparound. Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence and the rest of the actors were all great in it. Plus it has one of the best movie poster artwork ever.

Salem's Lot (1979) VHS
    A Return To Salem's Lot VHS

I know that Salem's Lot is a TV mini-series, but I still think it's one of the best Vampire films. Definitely in my top five. The tone of the film is very eerie and the look of the Vampires are very demonic. It also has one of my all time favorite scenes in Horror films. The scene with David Soul in a hospital room with a dead body laying on a metal gurney covered with a white sheet. That scene is so effective it gives me chills every time I watch it. Creepy. A Return To Salem's Lot on the other hand, is quite different. Gone is the eerie tone and atmosphere of the original and replaced with more of a campy quirky feel. The Vampires look like normal people and the main Vampire looks like he's wearing a store bought latex Halloween mask and gloves. The rest of the makeup effects are very subpar and not scary at all. I don't know, maybe this film wasn't supposed to be taken seriously (it's a Larry Cohen film after all) but I just could never get into this film.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #25:
    Alice, Sweet Alice (1976)
    Rewatch (Arrow Blu-ray)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    16. MASKS ARE REQUIRED: You guessed it, at least one character has to wear a mask for the entire movie.

Thought I was pretty hot shit when I realized halfway through that this was a working class riff on Don't Look Now, but then I looked at the back of the Arrow Blu-ray and every person I follow on Letterboxd and saw the same comparison being made ad nauseum.

[​IMG]
    Movie #26:
    Gog (1954)
    First Time Viewing (Kino Lorber Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    17. VIDEO STORE DAY: (10th anniversary!!) This is the big one. Watch something physically rented or bought from an actual video store. If you don’t have access to one of these sacred archival treasures then watch a movie with a video store scene in it at least. #vivaphysicalmedia

Starts with a fun kill in a freezing chamber, then slows to a crawl as we see the ins and outs of an underground facility building the first space station. Picks up in the back 20 when the culprits are finally revealed to be goofy robots.

Don't forget to tune in today from 12 PM-8 PM Pacific for Scarecrow Video's first ever virtual Video Store Day: http://blog.scarecrow.com/virtual-international-independent-video-store-day-2020/

19. indrid13

[​IMG]

Day 16. MASKS ARE REQUIRED: You guessed it, at least one character has to wear a mask for the entire movie.

Movie # 31:
    Mr. Sardonicus (1961) (DVD)

I remember being fascinated with William Castle's Mr. Sardonicus years before ever seeing it. There was an old 80's crime show called Wiseguy. One of the story arcs involved a character obsessed with the film. Going so far as to have a reenactment of scenes during it.
    If you dig Castle's other films or Gothic 60's chillers, you can't go wrong with Sardonicus.

20. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 16th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

38) Impetigore: A young woman, looking to gain a large inheritance, returns to her childhood village unaware of the impeding danger that awaits her. A unique mixture of supernatural horror and evil cults that takes its time to cultivate its own lore. The cult in this film was incredibly original and their mythology is very refreshing. The story does drag its feet in the second act, slowing down to an unnecessary crawl, but it did keep me interested. If there is one thing this film didn’t need it was the silly ghost children that popped up occasionally. They didn’t do a whole lot to create any good scares, nor were they particularly intricate to the plot. Some of the visual aesthetics weren’t cumbersome either, with a lot of low, dime light that made for some aggravating moments. The special effects were good – those skinless people were creepy as fuck – but good god, the ending to this film is beyond silly and laugh out loud. Recommended if you want a slow burn, Indonesian “Wicker Man” type film. (6/10)

39) The Cleansing Hour: Producers of an online webseries, that conduct live “exorcisms”, find themselves having to unwittingly exercise a woman possessed by a real demon. This is one of those films that is more interesting in concept than execution. “The Cleansing Hour” suffers from an inconsistent tone – wanting to be a serious, creepy exorcism film one minute, and a silly horror satire the next – and it clashes with the story and overall presentation. It becomes quite frustrating before long, because it does have its share of cleaver and even disturbing moments, but the constant attempts to shoehorn in satirical commentary on social media and internet fame is annoying and unoriginal (nor is it clever, even though the filmmakers defiantly thought it was). The film offers up some good practical effects, but too many of the digital effects were suspect. Throw in some plot convince, silliness about losing one’s faith in God, and one of the more absurd and stupid endings to a film I’ve seen in a while and the final product is underwhelming. (5/10)

**Both films are available on Shudder.