The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 21

90. Shivers (1975) Blu - Cronenberg's first film I guess. This is a pretty crazy movie, especially for '75. Parasites that infect and cause the infected to be sexual crazies. Fairly raw movie and a first time watch for me.

91. Little Monsters (1989) Blu - I cracked open both new Vestron titles. This movie gives new meaning to monsters under the bed. Good concept, but found myself a bit bored with this one. It felt geared to audiences that would like The Goonies, but not near as fun. It's the OCD over the number on the spine. I still have all of the Vestron titles at this point.

92. Young Frankenstein (1974) Blu - Everyone knows this movie. Great comedy that has a great cast and the whole Frankenstein retelling was fun. Been way too long since I took this one in.

93. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) Blu - I tend to agree with the comments mention by others on this one. I thought I liked this one more than I did tonight. I would have liked a lot less boat and more Manhattan. The things they could have done with that. Feels like they missed an opportunity.

~Rocker10

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

27. The Outer Limits S01E15: The Mice (Alan Crosland Jr., 1964)

[​IMG]

This was a fantastic episode. Scientists communicating with an alien species have developed a teleportation device with the goal of exchanging "ambassadors" of a sort - one of theirs will come here, and one of ours will go there. Of course, we elect to send a convicted murderer as our guinea pig (or mouse, hence the title)...it's never considered that the aliens might do the same. Not sure how we'd feel if they sent us a horrible example of their own kind. And I don't know why the scientists would elect a violent prisoner as the one to represent our species to an extraterrestrial intelligence. In any case, it's a moot point, because (lucky for us) they send one of their top scientists. Who still turns out to be a jellyfish monster with claw hands who likes to play with bread dough. Henry Silva plays the convict "volunteer" (they're not even offering him time off his sentence? damn) and it was great to see him in a much better episode than the previous Tourist Attraction. The ending isn't pitch perfect, with the moral philosophizing coming in a little weak, but on the whole it's one of the best I've seen.

3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 21st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm now at that point in the month were I start digging through my collection. Per usual, I started out with "Waxwork" which is fun love letter to horror. Englund's "976-Evil" is very much an understated classic and a true outlier of late 1980's horror schlock, and "Popcorn" fits the Halloween seasons perfectly with costumes and an all night horror movie marathon (sans the white boy reggae music that is peppered throughout).

52) Waxwork

53) 976-Evil

54) Popcorn

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #35:
    Bug (1975)
    First Time Viewing (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    21. MURDER SHE ROACH: One about pesky varmints, pests or creepy crawlies.

This took the lead character on a journey I was not expecting when I put on the "roaches that light people on fire" movie. I definitely preferred the more traditional first half.

[​IMG]
    Movie #36:
    Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020)
    First Time Viewing (Netflix)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

First of the series to be an improvement on its immediate predecessor. Best of the new sequels that started in 2015.

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Okay, so obviously, I just got my September shipment from Vinegar Syndrome...

October 21st: Killing Birds

Zombie 5.png

I absolutely loved the over-the-top Zombi 3 and found Zombi 4: After Death enjoyable enough, so Zombi 5: Killing Birds was an easy choice for me. So how did it measure up? I'll start out by saying that this one has the fewest number of zombies in the franchise yet. There are echoes of The Fog, especially in one particular scene which has them advancing slowly towards a van that just won't start. Much like with The Fog, we never get a good, clear look at the zombies. There is more restraint on display than the two sequels that came before it, and more discipline than in the clumsy After Death. Nevertheless, the climax is fairly harrowing, even with the rather anonymous cast. I will say that the birds could could easily have been left out with no impact on the story. They're pretty to look at, though.

October 22nd: Ladrones de Tumbas

Ladrones.png

A beefy Mexican hunk attempts to get a virgin pregnant with the spawn of Satan but is stopped by the Inquisition. Centuries later, some bumbling grave robbers disturb his tomb, and he wakes up to finish the job. This was my second viewing of Grave Robbers, and I think my reaction to it has been the same on both occasions. It's diverting enough but falls a wee bit short is the scare department. Director Rubén Galindo Jr. never manages a successful jump scare, and he likewise fails to exploit his chase scenes. Still, the undead killer looks decent - kinda like a Templar from Tombs of the Blind Dead by way of Jason from Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood. Of course, I liked him better in his muscular, living form, though, but enough about that. :p There's also lots of gore, and considering that the director did it himself (he talks about it in the interview on the disc), it's pretty good - we get chopped off limbs, decapitations, ripped out guts, crushed faces... I enjoyed it enough to still be excited about Cemetery of Terror. One odd thing: There's an editing/continuity error in the climax. The hero jumps onto the killer's back. Cut to him standing on the floor and looking at the action. Cut to him jumping from the killer's back. It's probably an error in the print, but I haven't checked my DVD to see if this flub happens there as well. Anyone else notice it?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I noticed this as well. It's on the previous releases, so it comes from the source.

OCTOBER 20TH:

THE FUNHOUSE.png

74.) The Funhouse (1981) (Blu-ray) - This is often just lumped in with the teen slashers of the time, but there's a lot more going on here than that. It may be a polished studio production from Universal Studios, but in a lot of ways it packs a similar potency as Hooper's earlier Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There is slasher stuff that comes into play in the last half-hour, but prior to that this one is oppressively moody and atmospheric. This is a movie about four clean attractive suburban teens who go out into the night, and all the dangers that are out there waiting for them. All night long, these teens are passively confronted by danger, whether it's the religious fanatic in the bathroom or the pervert behind the peep-show tent. Even the little brother sneaks out of the house, and some guy in a truck rolls up and pulls a shotgun on him. We've all been to the carnival and are familiarized enough with it to make it feel normal, but the way this movie presents it really accentuates how bizarre this whole carnival ritual really is. Like with Texas Chainsaw Massacre, this isn't your typical teen horror fare, and for me it easily ranks up there among Hooper's best.

CAMP NIGHTMARE.png

75.) Goosebumps: One Day At Horrorland (also includes episode: Welcome To Camp Nightmare) (DVD) - This was perhaps the wrong choice of Goosebumps DVD for immediately after The Funhouse. One Day At Horrorland is a fun little episode, but as far as carnival horror goes, Hooper's film is a tough act to follow. William Fruet directed this double-length episode, which offers a really nice little set-up that devolves into an obnoxiously silly game-show finale in the second half. The better episode is hiding in the second half of this disc, which is the Ron Oliver directed Welcome To Camp Nightmare. Another double-parter, this episode follows teenager Billy at Camp Nightmoon, where campers are warned to stay away from the forbidden cabin and a werewolf creature named Saber roams the woods at night. I'm partial to summer camp horror, so this one is a personal favorite. The twist ending is pretty crazy too.

OCTOBER 21ST:

THEY LIVE INSIDE.png

76.) They Live Inside Us (2020) (VOD) - This is a low budget Halloween set indie from Utah that is fairly well-made for its budget and gets off to a pretty engaging start, but then it just goes on... and on... and on... The plot involves a father and daughter who move into a notoriously haunted house, with the father being a horror writer hoping to get inspiration. He writes a few ideas, but quickly discards them all before they go anywhere. We get to see these stories as little anthology segments throughout the movie, and they're the highlight here, but they're all too brief and sparse to save the movie. Most of the movie is just the father and daughter sitting around the house with nothing happening, and while this should have been a brief 80 minute movie, it takes up a presumptuous 1 hr 43 mins. Apparently this originated as a 30 min segment in a horror anthology called The Witching Hour, and it should have been left as that. Boring.

77.) Rebecca (2020) (NetFlix) - Surprisingly, I didn't hate this, but it probably helps that it has been years since I've seen Hitchcock's version. I find Ben Wheatley in general to be wildly overrated, except for Sightseers which is wickedly brilliant, so this might be his second best film? It didn't bring anything to the table that Hitchcock didn't, but the actors were fine, it was well-made, and the movie itself is entirely serviceable. It's more or less what you'd expect from a big-budget mainstream newly-made version of Rebecca. I wish I had more to say, but the movie is exactly what it looks like: nothing more, nothing less. Not exactly recommended, but it is what it is.

[​IMG]

78.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) (Blu-ray) - I had been eagerly awaiting this October's viewing with antici... pation. So fun, so out there, there's nothing else like it. It's the rare musical where every song is gold. I'm at a loss of what else to say about a movie that has been discussed and dissected to death.
    I was somewhat distressed that at two or three points early in the movie, the image briefly pixelated for a fraction of a second. It didn't freeze or anything, it played straight through it, but leads me to believe this disc might be on the way out. Early Fox and LionsGate blu-rays used a crummy pressing plant, and a lot of their releases circa 2006 - 2011 are prone to failure over time. This was the 35th Anniversary blu-ray from 2010, so Rocky Horror may be another victim of Fox's incompetence. For now, it still works, but I may have to pick up the newly released 45th Anniversary blu-ray in the not too distant future...

DUMMY.png

79.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy III (DVD) - I already watched the other two Living Dummy episodes this month, so all that was left is this two-parter. Easily the best of the Slappy episodes, this one takes place at a remote family house where cousin Zane (a very young Hayden Christensen) comes to visit, who is afraid of everything, especially dad's creepy dummy collection. This one is a bit different than the other Living Dummy episodes, offering a nice twist half-way through and a much darker atmosphere. Christensen's 'fraidy cat character is fun to see, as he'd go onto the Star Wars franchise five years later. This episode was directed by Timothy Bond, one of the screenwriters of Happy Birthday To Me, as well as director of the little seen early '80s Easter slasher Till Death Do Us Part. I love this show's Canadian horror pedigree.

OCTOBER 22ND:

LOVECRAFT.png

80.) Lovecraft Country Episode 7 "I Am." (DVR / HBO) - After the previous standalone episode, we pick back up with the ending of episode 5, and for the first half of the episode we get to catch up with our main cast. This week's primary plot doesn't really kick off until the halfway point, when we follow Hippolyta (Aunjanue Ellis, who is the star of the week) on her journey to find out what happened to her husband, which sends her on a bit of a supernatural journey to find her own strength. This was another strong episode, with much of the heavy lifting given to Ellis, but it's also pretty heavy-handed at times, even to the extent where the writers have Hippolyta flat out verbalizing that "she'd like to kill white people" in order to give the character strength. It's also a complicated choice to have the series lead Atticus throwing around homophobic slurs. As dense as this show can be at times, the scenes of Hippolyta dancing in Paris with Josephine Baker are delightful.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7
    61.) Titicut Follies (1967)
    62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew"
    63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence"
    64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989)
    65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also: Stay Out Of The Basement)
    66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11
    67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting"
    68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case"
    69.) Spellcaster (1988)
    70.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 4 Episodes 12 - 15
    71.) Lovecraft Country Episode 6 "Meet Me In Daegu"
    72.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    73.) The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975)

7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 21. MURDER SHE ROACH: One about pesky varmints, pests or creepy crawlies.

Movie # 43:
    They Nest (2000) (DVD)

I remember way back in 2001, caught this on Sci-Fi Channel or USA just after moving into a new apartment. A few months before 9/11 happened and the world changed. So I have some nostalgia for this one. It's a fun little killer bug flick with a good cast and not too terrible CGI bug effects. Reminds me of the trashy killer bug paperbacks I used to read in high school.

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Friday the 13th part 6

I’m still torn on this. It’s definitley the slickest one to date, it also was the first to blatantly feature self-aware humor. The cast is good, CJ is good as Jason but it feels too filed-down and toothless for its own good, too commercial.

f0t0z00m, CPT HOOK, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  9. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 22

94. Don't Let Them In (2020) Prime - A couple of social workers call upon a client and then realize something's not right. This movie felt one way for a bit then has a twist in it. The movie was okay. You've probably seen this type of thing done better elsewhere.

95. The Stalker (2020) Prime - Not sure what to even say about this one. After her husband lets an employee go to fatten up his own finances, a lady accidentally kills a meter reader after thinking he was a stalker who had been making calls, sending threats etc. The real stalker continues his pursuit. This was very amateurish and short. The running time at just over an hour was about right because they didn't have many ideas to begin with. Can't recommend this one.

96. Death Valley (1982) Blu - A boy, his mom and boyfriend take a trip to Death Valley and run into a local serial killer. This is the movie that features Peter Billingsly who most know from A Christmas Story. It's a fun story and I usually catch this one about once a year.

97. The Mad Ghoul (1943) Blu - A university chemistry professor experiments with an ancient Mayan gas on a medical student, turning the would-be surgeon into a murdering ghoul. This one was part of the Universal Horror collection volume 2. I enjoy that set and this movie. I was noticing once again how good this movie looked for it's age.

~Rocker10

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

House (1977) (Criterion Blu-Ray) - If there's a more batshit crazy movie out there, I haven't seen it. But what do you expect from a nation where you can buy used schoolgirls' panties in vending machines? Speaking of schoolgirls, this movie is about seven of them (each with a name that describes their personalities; the pretty one is called Gorgeous, the smart one is Prof, the athletic one is Kung-fu, the overeater is Mac, you get the idea) who spend their summer vacation at the home of Gorgeous' aunt. Soon the girls begin disappearing one by one, or eaten up by something (or someone) in the house. There's crazy optical effects, exceedingly bizarre set pieces, just weird on top of weird. With a little more weird added in just to be sure. This is a good one if you have any friends who don't have the stomach for real scares or gore, but you don't want to watch a PG-rated kids' movie either. Criterion put out a wonderful Blu-Ray of this crazy hour and a half of Japanese horror, and it belongs in every horror fan's collection.

11. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Caught up again, let's see how long that lasts. Ratings are out of ****.

10/19/20 - The Girl Next Door (2007) ***
    A twisted, bitter mother with an unhealthily familiar relationship with the neighborhood boys reacts with jealousy and contempt to two orphaned nieces that are left in her care.

Starting with a foreboding introductory narrative, the story switches with a flashback to the "simpler times" decades prior. There two young girls dealt a raw deal by life are about to find things become much worse, a confused and anguished boy the ineffectual witness to their plight.

The dread meter quickly maxes out as interpersonal tensions rise and allegations of cruelty are confessed. Then the plot stops dancing subtle and starts stomping overt, with shocking and escalating torment and torture. First the mother, then the family, then the neighborhood kids join in the abhorrent sadism. With other adults refusing to recognize the hints of things they'd rather not know.

The lead actress is distractingly too old for the part, most likely for legal reasons (several decidedly non-erotic nude scenes). It’s almost easy to ignore, as her performance is authentically innocent and heartbreakingly sympathetic, even though such simple and earnest child-like behavior wouldn't come from someone of that maturity.

The result is nasty, depressing, demoralizing, and soul draining viewing. The kind that makes you despise your species, because this is something that has and continues to happen, and most people would rather not be reminded of it than be obligated to act. This statement on the depths of human cruelty was loosely based on the tragedy of Sylvia Likens, and in some ways (in particular, how little justice was done, an aftermath the film doesn't visit) truth was worse than fiction.

10/20/20 - Vampyr (1932) ***
    An occult researcher lodges at a remote French inn, where he quickly notices strange happenings and nefarious characters in the village.

[​IMG]

Although a vampire film, there is a definite Lovecraft vibe here. Quiet dread, sinister connotations, suggestive glimpses, and inferred threats. The lead even has a passing likeness to Howard Phillips Lovecraft, and his inquisitive but timid demeanor makes him more witness than participant as the plot plays out.

[​IMG]

At its core, the story is a loose retelling of the plight of Mina and Lucy, brief historical references to a deceased local fiend replacing the elaborate establishing plot of the vampire.

The vampire rarely appears, and isn't even a primary character. When it does, it is old, decrepit, furtive, and apprehensive. It’s an opportunistic parasite, not an intimidating predator.

[​IMG]

Much more devious and scheming is the traitorous doctor, who looks like a cross between Albert Einstein and Mark Twain, with a moustache so big it should have had its own screen credits. Most of the film's misdeeds are by his hand, and it reserves both its most sinister moments and vindictive attention for him.

A product of the just post silent film era, the fixation on the evocative potency of a distinctive still image is in full force. Shots suitable for canvas and gilded wood, intriguingly clever shadow plays, grandiose exaggerations of motion and mechanism, it’s all a feast for the eyes and shouts a tale without a sound. Definitely must experience viewing for those that appreciate such, and if this admitted partial restoration ever gets a Metropolis style discovery of missing material it will be well worth revisiting.

10/21/20 - The Freakmaker (1974) **1/2
    A professor of genetics conducts mutation experiments on unwilling human subjects, resulting in freaks he discards at a local carnival.

Most of the film is dialog and set showing, with minimal action until the final act. There are evocative scenes of the bizarre botanical lab, a side plot with actual carnival freaks making an intentional connection to the 1932 film, an intended to be frightening but instead hilariously silly chase by waddling dwarves, way over-used time lapse plant growth footage, and a carnival side attraction shock reveal treading on the Sssssss precedent. Played to a soundtrack of discordant horns and strings.

[​IMG]

Most of the evil doing is not by mutant, but stalking by an aggrieved misfit seeking normalcy. Tom Baker plays the heavy, loaded down with deformity facial make-up and wearing a remarkably familiar hat and coat. Donald Pleasence is the amoral doctor, conniving his way into keeping his experiments going at all costs, certain his pitiful failed transformation of a rat into a chia pet a decade prior means promise of success on humans. Michael Dunn, best known for an episode of the original Star Trek and getting posthumous credit here, is the carnival manager who re-discovers his conscience.

[​IMG]

Its makes for eerie, bizarre, and rather scattershot viewing. It’s not a great film, but it’s a worthy curiosity in the lengthy catalog of 70s mutant movies.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

[​IMG]

Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020):
    Well after the last one, I wasn't expecting much from this, but I was still pretty excited for it. I'm always looking forward to the next installment of Burt Gummer battles Graboids in whichever exotic location they choose to plunk him down in. Burt and the Graboids have been in my life for a long time, it's like getting to see an old friend.

And the movie is decent too. It kind of ran out of steam for me towards the end, but I really enjoyed the build up, especially anytime Burt and Richard Brake's character are on screen together. That stuff is golden!!!

John Heder didn't have much to do and disappeared for long stretches, they really could've joined his character with Jackie Cruz because they're basically having similar relationships with Burt, first half is Jackie Cruz, second John Heder. But this is the Burt Gummer vs Graboids show (with an able assist from Richard Brake). None of the other characters really amount to much. But they get splattered by graboid and shrieker guts so that's fine.

For part 7 of a series, I'm shocked by how much fun I had with this. Loved the Thailand locations as well.

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I read Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door several years ago. The emotions you describe are spot on. What a depressing, miserable story. I remember feeling so disgusted with humanity reading that thing.

indrid13, maskull and KGBRadioMoskow like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 22nd
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Four personal favorites of mine that I manage to squeeze in every October. Not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but all four are gold standards for doing horror/comedy right.

55) Killer Klowns from Outer Space

56) Fright Night (1985)

57) Monster Squad

58) Night of the Creeps

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The film An American Crime is also worthy of a viewing.

One thing you should NOT do is go to Wikipedia and read all the details of the Sylvia Likens case.

16. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Concur, and I own it and rated it similarly to the more fictionalized film. Would not recommend watching them back to back, unless you're looking for motivation to slit your wrists.

indrid13 and maskull like this.
  17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I read the book a while back too. I've never been able to bring myself to watch either version of the story on film.

dave13 and indrid13 like this.
  18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #37:
    The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
    Rewatch (Warner Blu-ray)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    22. MURKIN’: Something underwater or ocean related. “It sure is dark down there, what was that?”

Friday the 13th to King Kong's Halloween. Everyone calls Kong the granddaddy of kaiju flicks, but the template set up here is what Godzilla and others would copy for the next several decades.

[​IMG]
    Movie #38:
    Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971)
    First Time Viewing (Twilight Time Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    23. A REST IN THE PIECE IS ANOTHER WAY OF SAYING DRAMATIC PAUSE: Morricone soundtracks only.

I know it's a tenet of the giallo subgenre, but for whatever reason the films with long crazy titles end up being the ones I enjoy the least.

19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 22. MURKIN’: Something underwater or ocean related. “It sure is dark down there, what was that?”

Movie # 44:
    The Meg (2018) (DVD)

I was really expecting to like this one a lot more then I did. I think the nearly two hour runtime hurts the film. It really feels like a drag sometimes. Way too much time is spent with characters that could have been interesting if they'd been developed more. The cast is good and are obviously having fun which is great. The effects look good. There's just not enough of the Megalodon going on a rampage, when it does it's a bit tamed down for that PG-13 rating.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

28. One Missed Call (Takashi Miike, 2003)

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed watching the Ring films when Arrow put them out a few years ago, so I decided to pick up their release of this other J-horror franchise during one of their recent sales. It was a lot of fun, even if it's no Ring. There was some genuinely creepy imagery, and some pretty grisly, intense stuff that happens. The remakes were all such neutered PG-13 cash grabs, it's easy to forget that the originals had some edge to them. Although this one was maybe 20 minutes overlong, with a surprise reveal that wasn't all that surprising, it was still a pretty effective ghost story.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020