The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Here its already almost crisp enough to keep a cadaver. The skies are bleak, the rain runs through the roof a little, the grapes and elderberries are in from the yard and jellied or dried for tea, and the trees are just beginning to lose their fall leaves and become chiarascuro sticks against the cloudy night skies. The bears are rampant so thumps of things tipping over halt the late night howlings of the coy dogs in the preserve and the fireplace candleholders get lit early in the evening now and I am more inclined to use hot cocoa mix in my instant coffee to make white trash cappucinos. Its a bit clammier than usual here, but that soon passes into frost on the lawns, and the nights are long enough now that i have to keep both rechargeable lamps plugged in as i dont use the house lights after darkness. Thoroughly glad summer is over, and looking forward to gathering black walnuts for dye in case I want to take my grey out, but due to masking I now wear a full head balaclava bear photoprint hood with a mask underneath and my black leather duster and black motocross style boots for fall if I must go out at all. Just thought people in warmer climes might appreciate how fall goes around here. In sept I always catch up on my exploitation, as oct is my horror time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Colin, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  3. scott71670

Thank you. I'm flattered as ol' Rihanna Meathook (my horror "drag" name) is usually considered worth around ten.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    indrid13 likes this.
  4. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Always dig this thread every year. About to discover more stuff I wasn't aware of. Lets do this!

~Rocker10

indrid13 and Natas like this.
  5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

as always, I tried to fast in September and failed. It started getting cooler and I just couldn't help myself. Plus, I just started back to work (thank god) so I won't be able to watch 2-3 movies per day like I did a few months ago.

indrid13 likes this.
  6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Yeah this year I probably won't be taking any time off for October like I usually do. I was out for 4 months so I don't feel like I can ask for time off again. Thankfully Halloween is on a Saturday this year.

indrid13 likes this.
  7. maskull

October 01:

[​IMG]

Movie #1: Silver Bullet (1985):
    My usual movie to start off the October Marathon. I have so much nostalgia for it (and Megan Follows). Still drives me nuts that a dude on a tractor can hear Corey Haim's squeaky voice yelling for help over his engine, but oh well, this is a classic for me. Even though I'm pretty sure it takes place in September, it feels October.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 1ST:

Kicked off at midnight last night and squeezed in two movies before bed.

CABIN BY THE LAKE.png

1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000) (DVD) - Judd Nelson plays a horror screenwriter, working on his latest script Garden Of Flesh at a cabin in the woods where he researches by abducting and murdering women, using their corpses to make an underwater garden. When one of his victims (Hedy Burress) manages to escape, she teams up with a local cop (NCIS's Michael Weatherly) and a trio of horror special effects artists to catch her abductor. It had been a long time since I'd seen this one, and I loved seeing it again. It's very macabre, darkly funny, and wildly entertaining. It's also quite stylish, as the underwater corpse garden gives it a bit of a giallo aesthetic. I completely adore this movie, and even though it has nothing to do with Halloween or October, it was the perfect return to the genre after my brief fast.

PET SEM.png

2.) Pet Sematary (1989) (Blu-ray) - It's a little more difficult for me to write about movies like this, because what is left to say? Great movie. I forgot there was even a little bit of Halloween in it, as Ellie removes a pumpkin decoration to replace it with a Thanksgiving one. It certainly looks like autumn. There are so many memorable creepy bits in this movie (Zelda, Pascow, Missy's suicide, etc) that I always forget what a slow-burn it is. By slow-burn, I don't mean boring, just that it builds up in a really effective way. Sitting through the end credits (the Ramones song commands that you stay through them), I noticed that Jonathan Brandis and Stacy Keach Sr were both credited with ADR/looping. Found that interesting.

Anyway, good stuff, both of my October 1st after-midnight kick-off movies turned out to be just what I was in the mood for.

Going forward, I will count days as when I wake up to when I go to bed. So this morning's matinee was:

MERCY BLACK.png

3.) Mercy Black (2019) (NetFlix) - This is a Blumhouse movie on NetFlix, basically their version of Slender Man. I actually kind of enjoyed Sony's Slender Man movie, it had decent atmosphere, but this one was pretty bland and vanilla. The most interesting thing about it is that it was filmed in the same house from Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation and featured a small role from one of the Pen15 kids (which I had recently finished on Hulu). It also had Janeane Garofalo as a psychiatrist. But yeah, not much to say about this one, pretty much the typical bland modern horror that is littering the streaming services. Skip it.

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I REALLY wish it wasn't 97 fucking degrees here right now. The last thing I wanna do is sit on the couch, fanning myself, trying to pay attention to a horror movie.

Gore Lunatic, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  10. maskull

Just watch a movie that takes place in a desert.

Gore Lunatic, indrid13 and Colin like this.
  11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

1st October:

1, Dead mine -The legend of Yamashita's Gold lures a treasure hunter and his group deep into the Indonesian jungle. Once they are trapped in an abandoned World War II Japanese bunker, they face the terrifying reality that the only way out is to go further in.

Not a great start, fairly boring movie, unlikeable characters, poor acting, little gore. It was a chore to get through.

2, Cat people (1982j -A young woman's sexual awakening brings horror when she discovers her urges transform her into a monstrous black leopard.

This was a revisit for me, I'd seen it as a kid and didn't like it so as I've done with a lot of old movies I didn't like I've given it another chance.

Well I can understand why a younger me didn't like it! The story is bat shit crazy and it didn't have the transformations a younger me in the howling/American werewolf/ thing world would be expecting.

I have to say I really enjoyed it, as noted the story is bat shit, I doubt it would get made today, but boy that's part of its charm! It oozes style, it's wonderfully shot, the music is great and there were some nice moments of grue and some great effects, yes they are not up to the 3 films mentioned earlier but they hold their own well enough. And after seeing the Kinski transformation make up in the extras they were wise to use this sparingly.

My favourite part was the ending, I loved it and it's kudos to Schrader for going this route. He notes in the extras the original scripted ending was the usual generic kill the monster ending and he wanted something different and he certainly achieved that!

For anyone interested in this movie I must recommended the UK dual disc release, it's got all the shout factory extras on the blu and all the original extras from the universal release on the DVD. Definitely worth owning. I'm glad I picked this up.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Does a NY Jets' game count as a horror movie?

f0t0z00m and indrid13 like this.
  13. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

That's funny, Maskull, Silver Bullet has always been an October kick off movie for me too, because it has those late Summer vibes.

I Started with something different this year though...

October 1: Shivers (BLU)

Watched David Cronenberg's first flick, Shivers. For those that may have also missed it, the film is about an apartment complex that has an outbreak of an infectious slug like parasite (like Night of the Creeps), that turns its host into a sex crazed zombie. There are more than a few similarities to Night of the Living Dead, albeit much sleazier. I had never seen this one, and it has some cool low budget effects (including lots of old school bladder effects) and a couple of fairly creepy scenes. It has a decent pace and it's very 70's. Some of the implied stuff involving minors was gross in the wrong way though, and takes it down a notch in my book.

A543173C-12A2-44D9-B546-6F5366D8C58C.gif 54D179FE-6E33-4A4C-8C9C-D6361F93904B.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    CPT HOOK, Colin, indrid13 and 7 others like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It was 56 here. We could split the difference.

Svengoolie did a pre-show for a Bears/Vikings Halloween game. I counted that. :cool:

indrid13 likes this.
  15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Ah, Shivers is a favorite. Next time you watch it (and it definitely improves on repeated viewings), the "commercial" over the opening credits takes on a much more sinister tone. As for the stuff with minors, I think Dave was just showing us that the parasite unleashed everyones sexuality that they were normally too afraid to act on, including the abberant forms. If it creeped you out, then it did its job.

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    October 1: SHIVERS the latest blu ray from Vestron

17. Rocker10

I feel your pain. Where I live we can't seem to leave the 100's. Getting really old. Waiting for that chill in the air.

~Rocker10

indrid13 likes this.
  18. Rocker10

Day 1

1. Bog (1979) Prime - Was digging around Amazon Prime for older stuff that I hadn't seen before. Grabbed this one for a view. Fairly typical monster in the swamp type stuff. Fairly low budget but had some entertainment value due to some of the nostalgic things you see in the movie that don't really exist today. I enjoy seeing this kind of stuff in older movies as it brings back memories.

2. Trucks (1997) Prime - I knew this one would be a bit odd after reading the write up on Amazon. It's a Stephen King short story adaption that is a little too close for comfort to Maximum Overdrive. Some sleight differences in the story, but it felt like a re-hash with the best elements missing. I would just go with Maximum Overdrive over this one. I hadn't seen it before, and probably won't re-visit anytime soon.

3. The McPherson Tape (1989) Blu - I had not heard of this one before seeing release press some time back. It sounded interesting enough so I picked it up on a Vinegar Syndrome sale. I watched the original version this time but will probably go back later and watch the directors cut. Enjoyed it for what it was. The mom cracked me up the most. She has a lot of attitude and don't know how she dealt with the whiny nature of the sons.

4. Silver Bullet (1985) Blu - I had seen this before, but probably back when it was new. I hadn't owned it yet, but did grab Shout's release sometime back. It had been so long between viewings that it felt new again to me and was definitely the highlight of the day.

~Rocker10

19. scott71670

I caught Cat People at a rainy drive in with American Werewolf in London (so I guess that wet night was raining cats n dogs!). I had always heard it was originally supposed to be Snake People (hence the iconic Nastassja and the Snake photo by Scavullo) and Alan Ormsby was involved in the script...? It has been decades since I saw it, but I still have my Bowie 45 of the theme song.

20. maskull

Every year I think about watching something different, but every year I end up watching Silver Bullet at midnight.

Shivers and Rabid were my first two Cronenberg movies that I ever watched. I loved that they felt so unsafe. Anything could happen and anyone could die. Where I live, they were shown semi regularly on TV, around Halloween, along with many other Canuck Horror classics.