The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 23RD:

SATAN'S LITTLE HELPER.png

87.) Satan's Little Helper (2004) (DVD) - I really enjoy this movie, but don't watch it very often. Which in this case is good, because it keeps it fresh. It may be a bit cheap and rough around the edges, but it makes up for it with a darkly comic and fairly clever script. The plot follows young trick-or-treater Dougie, whose favorite video game "Satan's Little Helper" comes to life one Halloween evening when he encounters a mean-spirited person in a devil's costume who he believes is this video game character. What young Dougie doesn't realize is this person is a serial killer who has been wreaking havoc all over town, and Dougie's just brought this killer home to meet his mom and sister. The movie works, as the person under the mask is essentially the "Hitchcock bomb-under-the-table" device. It also serves up quite a bit of dark humor that is often times far from politically correct. I will say the movie somewhat stumbles during its finale, offering about five different endings where they repeatedly think they've killed the killer, but it turns out to be the wrong person. This isn't a spoiler, as it is always set-up to be the wrong person before they are killed. Warts and all though, this is an incredibly fun little Halloween gem.

LIVID.png

88.) Livid (2011) (DVD) - I've had this UK DVD for quite a while, but for whatever reason never got around to watching it. Possibly because I found Inside to be kind of silly and dull, although I did see the filmmaker's later movies Among The Living and Leatherface. Anyway, I recently saw Livid on a list of movies set on Halloween, and decided now might be the time. Although the movie is set on Halloween, the extent of the Halloween aesthetics are a tiny jack-o-lantern in the bar and a brief cameo from a trio of trick-or-treaters wearing Silver Shamrock masks. Anyway, as for the movie, it was fine I guess but not really my thing. The set-up is almost identical to Don't Breathe, not just in plot but also in the look and tone. The biggest difference is Livid has a somewhat likable character with Lucy, while everyone in Don't Breathe is despicable. Where the two movies part ways is in regards to what (or who) they find in the house. Considering it's plastered on the DVD cover, I don't think it's a spoiler to say vampire ballerinas. I appreciated the weirdness, and like with Among The Living there are effective sequences throughout, but as a whole the movie didn't really work for me.

OCTOBER 24TH:

89.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 5 Episodes 16 - 19 (DVD) - The final four episodes of the short lived children's horror series. The Loyal Order Of Corn is a sort of Elk's Lodge that lures in Marshall's father. Zombies In PJs is a commentary on consumerism, as a mysterious figure rolls through town and hypnotizes the residents of Eerie into buying as much as possible. Reality Takes A Holiday is one of the more interesting episodes of the series, as Marshall finds himself on the set of a TV series called Eerie, Indiana, where everyone is calling him Omri (the actor's name in real life is Omri Katz) and all of our series regulars are playing themselves. However, the recent re-write involves Omri being killed off for good! This episode gives us a fun fictionalized behind-the-scenes of the series, including a look at the sets. Joe Dante appears in the episode as himself, directing the episode. If you don't blink, you might spot Denise Richards as an extra. This episode served as the broadcast series finale, and rightfully so. It's a perfect ending to the series. However, this DVD set contains one additional episode with The Broken Record. This episode never aired during the original run, and only premiered later when the show entered syndication. It involves a young boy Tod who gets into heavy metal, much to the chagrin of his father. Unfortunately, the DVD set presents this as the series finale, and it doesn't really work as such at all. Good to have it included though, even if most of the regular cast is put on the back burner. This concludes the series Eerie, Indiana.

PRIMAL RAGE.png

90.) Primal Rage (1988) (Blu-ray) - Lots of people like and remember Welcome To Spring Break aka Nightmare Beach, but for whatever reason this one isn't remembered as fondly. It was made by the same filmmakers around the same time, with both movies featuring actress Sarah Buxton and the loud '80s ballad "Say The Word" (which makes 3 appearances in this movie, playing the song in it's entirety every time). This piece of Florida-filmed Italian teen terror involves a zombie outbreak on a college campus, kicking off when a college journalist breaks into a science lab and releases a monkey. The movie can be a bit clunky at times, but stay with it, as it all culminates with three zombie jocks infiltrating the campus Halloween dance and slaughtering the costumed patrons. The whole finale is silly, bloody, and spectacular. Did I mention Bo Svenson and his ponytail? This is a very entertaining piece of '80s horror that is much more underrated than it should be.
    The blu-ray features a rather bizarre extra titled "William J. Immerman Talks Primal Rage", as whatever movie he is talking about, it's not Primal Rage. I don't believe he ever mentions the title, but he's talking about shooting it in Canada in 1979. Primal Rage was filmed in Miami in the late '80s. Via on screen text over film footage, it also claims that star Patrick Lowe (also from Slumber Party Massacre II) is Rob Lowe's brother, but I could find nothing confirming that online.

NOTD.png

91.) Night Of The Demons (2009) (Blu-ray) - I decided to watch this one instead of the originals (which I may still watch, time pending), only because I've seen those countless times and I've only seen this maybe three times? I don't consider this to be a very good Night Of The Demons movie, namely for the omission of Hull House. The mansion here is beautiful, clean, and not even remotely scary (although I went by it while I was in New Orleans, and it's located right next to a cemetery). That said, I do think it's a solid Halloween party movie. Nice aesthetics, fun cast, rockabilly soundtrack, and some cool practical effects and gore. It does run out of steam in the second half, once the surviving characters hole themselves up in an upstairs bedroom. The first half is a lot of fun though. It won't be for everyone, and the tone and feel are wildly different from the original series, but it's still a solid little B-movie.

GOOSEBUMPS.png

92.) Goosebumps: Welcome To Dead House (DVD) - This two-part episode gets its own disc. Welcome To Dead House was the very first Goosebumps book, but they didn't adapt it until late into season two. As for the episode, it gets off to a bit of a slow start, but the finale is one of the creepier that Goosebumps has to offer. The episode follows the Benson family, who move into an old creepy house in the small town of Dark Falls. The daughter starts seeing menacing figures in the house, and the family meet the strange pale neighbors who seem to be allergic to sunlight. When they learn about a chemical plant accident that happened years earlier, they start to realize the townsfolk are keeping some dark secrets. The whole reveal is pretty creepy, and the final act is very suspenseful for a kid's show. Really great episode, if a bit of a slow burn.

OCTOBER 25TH:

93.) Lovecraft Country Episode 9 "Rewind 1921" (DVR / HBO) - Our leads time travel back to the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre in order to retrieve a supernatural text. Obviously this book is important to the overall plot, but in a lot of ways, this penultimate episode of the season feels a bit like filler rather than pumping up the intensity. It could just be the time travel element, as the characters are going backwards instead of progressing forward. Outside of the time travel element, the depiction of 1921 Tulsa is very matter-of-fact, which makes for very heavy subject matter. I feel like the show lured audiences in with fun episodes of haunted houses, creatures in the woods, bizarre cults, and body horror, but as the season progresses, the stories become aggressively more straight-forward, bleak, heavy-handed, and steeped in real-life tragedies. The subtext was always there, but it's becoming increasingly less clever with it and less interested in actually using these sub-genres in its exploration of relevant themes. They're just spelling it out for the viewer. It's still a strong show, easily the best genre show on TV right now, but these last few episodes haven't been as strong as the first 6 episodes were.

94.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 4 - 6 "The Way It Came" & "The Altar Of The Dead" & "The Jolly Corner" (NetFlix) - Similar in structure to The Haunting Of Hill House, each episode is giving us the backstory of one of the major characters. In The Way It Came, we get Dani's story and find out who the strange ghost in glasses is. In The Altar Of The Dead, which is the best episode of the series so far, we learn secrets about housekeeper Hannah's past and present. In The Jolly Corner, we get Henry's story and learn the truth about Flora. While these character episodes took up the first 5 episodes of Hill House, in Bly Manor they've extended them to at least episode 6. With only 3 episodes left, I'm ready for this show to really kick into gear.
    I can't remember if I mentioned this last time, but the Bly Manor location is actually the same mansion used in Stephen King's Rose Red. Which makes since, since Mike Flanagan has adapted King's novels Doctor Sleep and Gerald's Game.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7
    61.) Titicut Follies (1967)
    62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew"
    63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence"
    64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989)
    65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also: Stay Out Of The Basement)
    66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11
    67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting"
    68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case"
    69.) Spellcaster (1988)
    70.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 4 Episodes 12 - 15
    71.) Lovecraft Country Episode 6 "Meet Me In Daegu"
    72.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    73.) The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975)
    74.) The Funhouse (1981)
    75.) Goosebumps: One Day At Horrorland (also: Welcome To Camp Nightmare)
    76.) They Live Inside Us (2020)
    77.) Rebecca (2020)
    78.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    79.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy III
    80.) Lovecraft Country Episode 7 "I Am."
    81.) The Witches (2020)
    82.) Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2 Episodes 1 - 3 "Washington Insider Murder" & "A Death In Oslo" & "Death Row Fugitive"
    83.) Bad Hair (2020)
    84.) The Dark (1993)
    85.) Lovecraft Country Episode 8 "Jig-a-Bobo"
    86.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 1 - 3 "The Great Good Place" & "The Pupil" & "The Two Faces, Part One"

2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 25th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Two of the more batshit crazy horror films of the 1980's, and two of the best HD transfers of any other films from the time period. "From Beyond" and its trifecta of Combs, Crampton and Foree and some great practical effects makes this Lovecraft adaption worthwhile. And lest we not forget Bava's "Demons" featuring quirky characters, over the top gore, and that bitchin' heavy metal soundtrack. You don't happen to own either on Blu-Ray, you're doing yourself a giant disservice.

64) From Beyond

65) Demons

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/20/2020

HOUSE OF THE DEVIL (2009)

[​IMG]

Went away for several days on a much needed mini-vacation. Watched this just before leaving & now got around to writing this up.

College student Samantha Hughes (Jocelin Donahue) really needs to find an apartment as the dorm living situation with her roommate worsens. She finds an apartment to her liking and a landlady (Dee Wallace) nice enough to waive the security deposit. With a lease agreement signed, $300.00 for one month's rent is required in the coming days. Pocket change by today's standards, but a hefty sum in the early 80's for a financially struggling student. Samantha learns of a babysitting job and finally gets to meet the parents, after some awkward phone communication screening. During the in-person interview, Mr. Ulman (Tom Noonan) lets her know that they don't have any children and that she would be looking after the elderly mother of his wife (Mary Woronov). Plenty of details concerning the gig just don't sit well, but the Ulmans are willing to up their offer and pay $400.00 for just several hours of work. Some extra cash is left for pizza, a delivery service highly recommended by the employers.

We were fortunate to catch this in its very limited theatrical run. Satanic panic was very much a product of the 80's and so many pieces come together to create a retro horror themed time capsule. Dime-a-dozen pizzerias, walkman players with oversized headphones, 80's pop radio hits (including an opening theme that rips off "Moving in Stereo" by The Cars), and worn-in fashion sense all do their part. Many people criticized House of the Devil when it was newer for sluggish pacing more than anything. Never bothered me as this slow burn approach works with much of the running time spent in a dark old Victorian home way out in the country during a lunar eclipse. The spooky atmosphere has a growing sense of dread that just keeps building until a finale that while disturbing, does feel a little rushed. Noonan already proved himself in Manhunter (1986) as an effective heavy and once again knows how to get under your skin. Woronov is an old pro in the genre and makes the most of her screen time. Lead actress Jocelin Donahue gets a purple heart for all of the abuse she endures.

Thus far I have seen 3 films from director Ti West. House of the Devil would be my favorite. The Sacrament (2013) is the only one I did not enjoy. The Innkeepers (2011) is underrated, but just not on the level of quality seen here.

4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

This might be a controversial opinion, but I always preferred "Innkeepers" to "House of the Devil". The second act of "House..." is way too drawn out and lacks tension - which is the one thing that film desperately needed - where "Innkeepers" had a lot more to offer in that category. I also loved to the chemistry between Sara Paxton and Pat Healy and the scares have better pay off.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #39:
    Hack-O-Lantern (1988)
    First Time Viewing (Joe Bob's Halloween Hideaway on Shudder)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

Was trending lower, but then a couple of solid twists in the final minutes bumped it up.

[​IMG]
    Movie #40:
    The Dungeonmaster (1984)
    First Time Viewing (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    24. AT THE GIG: Something with live band scenes.

Watched for the W.A.S.P. performance, but also got a fantasy/post-apocalypse/slasher WTF.

[​IMG]
    Movie #41:
    The Wicker Man (1973)
    Rewatch (StudioCanal UK Blu-ray)
    ****1/2 (out of 5)
    25. HEY BABY, CAN YOU DANCE TO IT?: This one has to have at least one substantial dancing scene in it.

Watched the theatrical version. I prefer the buildup to Christopher Lee's first tête-à-tête with Edward Woodward here as opposed to him being glimpsed earlier through a window in the director's and final cuts. The opening in those versions with Sergeant Howie on the mainland also raises more questions about the reach of the cult than the theatrical version, which begins with him flying to the island.

[​IMG]
    Movie #42:
    Haunt (2019)
    First Time Viewing (Joe Bob's Halloween Hideaway on Shudder)
    **1/2 (out of 5)

I guess John Krasinki was the element that made A Quiet Place as successful as it was?

[​IMG]

I also watched the 6 latest episodes of the new Unsolved Mysteries. It was all mysterious deaths/disappearances except for one episode about tsunami ghosts. Pretty disappointing as the original series was always 50% true crime, 50% paranormal. These all kept my attention, but I may just start only watching the paranormal stories in future seasons. At least here we get some recreations that show the ghosts in that supernatural episode, was very disappointed when the first 6 dropped and the UFO episode only showed a light with no attempt to visualize a UFO or alien.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Odd, growing up in the 70s and 80s, I always considered it to be definite product of the 70s. The Omen, The Exorcist, The Sentinel. And a slew of others. Not to mention that related genre, witchcraft.

In the 70s, housewives thought there were Satanic relics at the bottom of cereal boxes and witch covens at their PTA meetings. Newspapers headlined on the subject without an ounce of incredulity. People openly believed their political leaders had signed pacts in blood - and not necessarily their own blood.

By the time the 80s hit, the hysteria was mostly lampoon fodder. As a movie subject, I think it was more likely at that point to get a film rejected than green lit.

indrid13 and satans-sadists like this.
  7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I much more prefer the satanic cinema of the 70's over the 80's any day in terms of quantity & quality. Having grown up in the 80's, I do remember reading a lot of paranoid articles about Satanism - not to mention TV specials & documentaries. As a young metalhead at the time, it felt like all parents were against us. Another thing to consider is that I suffered through 12 years of Catholic school (1st grade through 12th). For me, the entire decade of the 80's was framed by religious education, nuns, & priests. They used to rant about Satanic panic propaganda very frequently.

indrid13 and wago70 like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I enjoy both films very much. Part of my extra love for House of the Devil is probably due to nostalgia. We got to see it in the theater and also where we were living at the time was extra special. The film had barely any theatrical distribution when it was a new release.

Colin and indrid13 like this.
  9. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Day 25. HEY BABY, CAN YOU DANCE TO IT?: This one has to have at least one substantial dancing scene in it.

Movie # 49:
    Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) (DVD)

A guilty pleasure of mine. I remember staying up real late to catch it on cable growing up. I've always liked this sleazy ass and underrated entry in the series. I don't mind Fakeson at all. I really enjoy the characters and the dialogue is often hilarious. Unlike a lot of the Friday films, the kids are mostly likable. Violet is my spirit animal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  10. KGBRadioMoskow

It was still lingering, but we mostly laughed at it by then. Like the frequent knocks on Dungeons and Dragons as being Satanic. Driven by religious fundies who were already in the tinfoil brigade, picked up by mass media because they were too lazy to do any research. Same crap before and since, particularly in relation to kids and young adults that parents just don't "get". Then it was Satanic games. Before it was horror comics. Now its creative writing stories being touted as terrorism plans. Anything that doesn't conform is rejected, anything that is new is suspicious, both get cast into whatever recognizable fear bucket is vogue.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]

KGBRadioMoskow and indrid13 like this.
  12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

So glad you said this. I think horror fans always salivate at the term "director's cut", thinking we'll see all the stuff the studio was "too afraid" to release. And yes, sometimes that's true. Or, the studio wants a shorter run time and will remove all the background and backstory that makes the movie a true piece of art and not merely a hack-em-up slasher. So yes, I do gravitate towards director's cuts more often than not.

But not always.

In The Wicker Man, opening with Sgt. Howie flying to Summerisle, the residents not really wanting him there, and there seemingly is nothing wrong anyway really works in the film's favor. Seeing him on the mainland first (director's cut) and getting the note to go to Summerisle already makes it a little suspicious. The theatrical cut is so much more a gut punch when things start going away from dances around the May Day pole and bawdy pub songs.

indrid13 and fattyjoe37 like this.
  13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Friday the 13th part 8

Terrible. More like “Jason Takes a Vancouver Cruise”. None of it makes sense. Why does Rennie have hallucinations of young Jason? Why is Jason set on getting her after they get to NYC? You only get 15 minutes in NYC. No gore and doesn’t feel authentic.

indrid13, CPT HOOK, Colin and 2 others like this.
  14. KGBRadioMoskow

Raise you one, here in San Jose we elected her mayor.

[​IMG]

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Umm...no further comment needed.

indrid13 and KGBRadioMoskow like this.
  16. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 26

115. The Nail Gun Massacre (1985) Blu - Never heard of this one until a few months back. After a woman is gang raped by some construction workers, someone seeks vengeance by way of a nail gun. Corny as hell movie with bad acting and the whole premise, but in it's own way it was kind of fun.

116. Alien Covenant (2017) Blu - More from the Alien universe. This time it revolves around the ship Covenant and the effort to move colonists to a new planet. The ships captain picks up a message from a region and decides to investigate which turns out to be a big mistake. This one started off feeling like it was closely following the formula of the 1979 Alien movie and then finds its own ground. I thought it was entertaining and it was cool to have another Alien movie. In my opinion, nothing has beaten the first movie though.

117. Witchboard (1986) Blu - Tawny Kitaen stars in this Ouija oriented movie where she gets obsessed with communicating with the spirit and her boyfriend and his childhood friend team up to try to fix the problem. I remember watching this movie for the first time a few years back and hadn't revisited. I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first.

118. Invaders From Mars (1986) Blu - A boy tries to stop aliens who have taken over his town and are attempting to brainwash its inhabitants. I had not seen this one since it was actually new to home video years ago. Remembered it vaguely and enjoyed it.

119. Witchboard 2 (1993) Blu - Made it a two-fer with these movies today. A lot of similarities between the two. Girl gets obsessed with using board, dresses more seductive, uses curse words more, etc. I've never seen the third movie, but enjoy the first two equally. It also reminded me how much I loved women in Guess jeans. Those were the days....

~Rocker10

17. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

The Final Girls -

final girls.jpg

This started out pretty good. One of the actresses from American Horror Story or Scream Queens is the lead. But perhaps I was mislead or expecting something else from the movie. After a while and at the end, the movie reminded me of another movie other than Friday the 13th. That movie is
    Back to the Future. I was hoping that Malin Akerman's character would come back.

It was like the people behind Final Girls came up with a good premise and cool shots but didn't realize that they had the elements for something even better. I was hoping that there was a sequel. But not yet.

Final Girls is funny in parts and worth a watch for horror and Friday the 13th fans. Still I just wish for a little bit more. It's not a movie I would own unless they made that sequel. And it needs and there is no excuse for not having a sequel going by the ending.

18. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m New Member

Yeah Part 8 is my least favorite of the series, Jason X felt more like a Friday movie than this and he was in space ship instead of a cruise ship.

Angelman and indrid13 like this.
  19. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 26th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It’s been a better part of a decade since I last watched either film in the much besmirched – and now forgotten – films that are the “Grindhouse” double feature. “Planet Terror” is still one of the best examples of how to mix action and horror, and boasts an amazing cast, practical effects and dozens of quotable lines (I was surprised at just how many I remembered). “Death Proof” which is defiantly one of the weaker films in Tarantino’s cannon, is still a lot fun too. Kurt Russell as the cunning, psychopathic Stunt Man Mike is one of my favorite performances of his, and one of the best in cinema from that decade in my opinion. And good God, that car crash sequence towards the midway point is still brutal. The second act does suffer from a lot of retread, but the climax is so memorable.

66) Planet Terror

67) Death Proof

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Tonight's viewing

10/31

An anthology movie but with no wraparound story. It consisted of 5 stories and non are great to be honest, it all fells quite amateurish with the roller rink story being a particular low point. If your looking for an anthology movie look else where.