The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread -- 2020!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 21, 2020.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah xtro 2 is bad, I had it on DVD and there was a great extra which was an interview with the director. He knew how bad it was and was happy to ridicule the movie, but the most interesting and fun info revolves around Jan Michael Vincent. Apparently he was a knob and a pain and was always pissed on set! If you go back and watch some of his scenes you can hear him slurring. It at least adds a bit of value to proceedings!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    indrid13, Rocker10 and fattyjoe37 like this.
  2. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 29th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A night of modern horror/comedy classics. "Severance" and "Behind the Mask" are criminally underrated in my book and deserve more love, "Cabin in the Woods" is a great, meta satire, and "What We do in the Shadows" is one of the best mockumentaries ever made.

76) Severance

77) Cabin in the Woods

78) Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

79) What We Do in the Shadows

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

(and yes, that's a photo from my home, the very room I'm in right now typing this)

Hell Night (Scream Factory Blu Ray) - Ah, an 80s classic in every sense of the word. When I started this movie last night, I almost considered holding off and waiting till Halloween in a couple of days, it's just such a perfect movie for that night. Glad I went through with it though, I really do love this movie, despite a few faults (the "looking glass" prank, despite the clever payoff with the line about Quaaludes, seems a little far-fetched....was Peter just going to sit there until someone finally decided to look in that particular mirror??). As often as I spin this movie, it's not enough. Now, a quick word about the controversial Scream Factory transfer. It has ups and downs. As they openly admit, it was sourced from a 35mm print, and it shows. For good and bad. Sometimes it really looks like film and not HD video, and I like that. Some of the print damage like the green lines give it a little character. But damn, there's some rough spots, that's for sure. The choppiness in some scenes, and the overall murkiness of it really detracts. I'll always keep this edition, but I hope that someone eventually creates an HD master from a negative at some point. Arrow? You listening?

Twins of Evil (Synapse Blu Ray) - This was discussed a few days ago in this thread, in regards to the degree of nudity. And backing up what I said then (because honestly, I wasn't 100% sure in my comments), there's not a lot of breasts bared in this late Hammer film, just two scenes by my count. Cleavage though? Yeah, that's present in damn near every scene, so if that's your particular fetish then this is the film for you. A pair of recently orphaned twin sisters are sent to a remote village to live with their aunt and uncle, the uncle a pious and austere witch hunter played by Peter Cushing. But it's not witches that threaten the village, it's vampires from the Karnstein castle above. Count Karnstein takes a liking to the more rebellious of the twins, while the schoolteacher (David Warbeck, of Fulci's The Beyond) is interested in the more prim and proper one. Who will survive and how long before someone's ample bosoms spill out of their incredibly low cut tops? Seriously, despite the emphasis on the mammary glands of the female cast, this is a really good Hammer production. Lush photography, wonderful sets, more realistic blood than in their 60s films, and a brisk pace. I like Hammer films, but they can be really talky sometimes (AV Club this week posted a review of The Curse of Frankenstein, and while they praised it highly, they also admitted the creature is not re-animated until over an hour into the 82 minute film) and Twins of Evil keeps it to a minimum. I probably haven't watched this in like 3-4 years, so I didn't remember much of it, but I'll try to spin it more often in the future.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I wish I could do something like that, but unless you got one of those Men in Black flashy things to erase the knowledge that WNUF is fake, I'll never get to experience it. That said, I think I would have been tipped off by the fake TV shows they were advertising. Not the commercials though, because some of them (the rug commercial especially) looked genuine as hell.

Oh, and if you needed any more incentive to watch Special Bulletin, the lead villain is played by David Clennon (Palmer in John Carpenter's The Thing)

Gore Lunatic, indrid13 and X-human like this.
  5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Wait. That is the title, and it doesn't have boobies? That's just false advertising.

indrid13 and hots4 like this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Apparently those weren't the "twins" the title refers to.

It's a good movie, and definitely a lot racier than most Hammer films, but a little bit of a letdown in the overall skin department. You had twin actresses who posed for Playboy for fuck's sake, and only one of them gets all nuded up.

dave13 and indrid13 like this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 29TH:

SPACED.png

110.) Spaced Invaders (1990) (Blu-ray) - I'm sure I had seen this one sometime in my childhood, but couldn't remember a thing about it. Set in the freshly minted small town of Big Bean, Illinois on Halloween night, a group of aliens land in town to cause mischief when they overhear the famous Orson Welles "War Of The Worlds" being rebroadcast by the local radio station and mistake it for a real Earth invasion. I had a really difficult time getting into this movie. The movie is jumping between about 10 different storylines, and none of them are fleshed out enough to be interesting. There are occasional bursts of charm throughout, but I just didn't care about what was going on. Kino Lorber put a lot of work into the extras though, which was nice, but I couldn't help but wish they'd instead gotten Patrick Read Johnson and Ariana Richards on a special edition blu-ray of one of my all-time favorite teen movies: Angus.

111.) Franky And His Pals (1991) (DVD) - I've seen WNUF mentioned many times in this thread, which I found to be near unwatchable. This doesn't have the Halloween aesthetics, but could probably work in a similar fashion, only with authenticity. There's not much of a plot to follow, which makes it a movie you could turn on in the background, and when you look at the TV every so often, there's likely to be something crazy or silly going on. Five classic horror movie monsters (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, and Humper (the hunchback, named for his hump)) are trapped in a cave, but manage to escape when Frankenstein lets out an explosive fart. From here, they descend upon the town of French Gulch on Halloween night, crashing the local costume party. Shenanagins, aerobics, and juvenile humor ensue. This will probably be a tough sit for some people, but I found it charming. I also thought the extras on the disc were incredibly endearing, as for most of these actors this was their one and only claim to fame (if you can even call it that). I'm happy to add this one to the collection, but I can't guarantee anyone else in the world will feel the same. I had to laugh, someone on IMDB submitted the budget as an estimated $0.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

112.) Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask (also episode: The Cuckoo Clock Of Doom) (NetFlix) - So, Fox's release strategy for Goosebumps on DVD was a strange one. They would release a couple DVDs every October, each with a random assortment of 2 or 3 episodes each. Over the years, they managed to get most of the series out on disc, but stopped releasing them with only five episodes to go. This block consists of three of the five missing episodes, which also happen to be the first three episodes of the series. The two-part episode The Haunted Mask is one of the series' Halloween episodes, and might be the biggest fan favorite of the series. It's a fun episode, but I don't think it has aged very well. Scaredy cat Carly Beth decides she wants revenge this Halloween and buys a scary mask from a mysterious costume shop. Unfortunately, this mask is haunted, and begins melding with her face and affecting her personality. I guess the mask is supposed to make her evil, but honestly, she was kind of a brat before she even put it on. The Cuckoo Clock Of Doom also deals with a revenge plot, as Michael decides to get revenge on his terror of a little sister by framing her for breaking their father's prized cuckoo clock, only for the clock to send him back in time. This is a fun yet straight-forward episode with a delightfully mean-spirited twist ending. These are good nostalgia, and fortunately the entire series is on NetFlix (for now anyway) so that the five missing episodes are still accessible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

113.) Halloween (2018) (Blu-ray) - My plan had been to go with Halloween 4 & 5 this year and save the Jamie Lee entries for next year when they release Halloween Kills. However, with the little teaser for Halloween Kills yesterday, I changed my mind and went with this one instead, considering that it's the Halloween movie I have seen the least (twice in the theater and once on blu-ray). I figure I'll go through the entire series next October leading up to the release of Kills. So as for viewing four of '18... now that the high of seeing Michael back on the big screen has settled, there's a lot of warts and strange choices in this one. Like, let's interrupt the climax of the movie so the cops can go on a lengthy diatribe on banh mi sandwiches? People hate on the clown shoe cops in Halloween 5 (possibly my favorite of the sequels) and give these guys a pass? I don't care about the podcasters, I don't care about the doctor, I don't care about the little boy who just wants to dance. Their running time could have been given to Vicky, who kind of steals the movie despite having very limited screen time. Or better yet, Laurie, who is made to be a secondary character in her own story. Also, why does Laurie own a dollhouse of the Myers house? Warts and all though, it's a Halloween movie, so it will never be disposable to me. Hell, I've probably seen Curse Of Michael Myers and Resurrection more times than I've seen some movies I genuinely love. I'm just grateful they're still making them.

OCTOBER 30TH:

TEENAGE.png

114.) I Was A Teenage Zombie (1987) (DVR / TCM) - I guess the thesis of this movie is that New York is so polluted, you can throw a dead body in the river and bring it back to life. In this very low-rent and low-budget little movie, a group of six high-school friends go on the hunt for weed, only to piss off the Mexican drug dealer, who they kill and throw into the river. As mentioned, the river is polluted, bringing the drug dealer back to life to terrorize them. The only solution is to throw the dead body of one of their own into the river, bringing him back as a good zombie to take out the evil Mexican drug dealer zombie. Probably not the most PC plot of all time. This one is pretty rough around the edges, but not without it's charms. The soundtrack is surprising given how low-budget the movie is, including "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses. I don't know if I'd recommend it, but it's a fair TCM oddity. Interestingly, this airing had the Criterion / Janus Films logo before it, but I can't imagine Criterion themselves releasing it on disc.

Previous Entries:
    1.) Cabin By The Lake (2000)
    2.) Pet Sematary (1989)
    3.) Mercy Black (2019)
    4.) Nancy Drew Episodes 1 & 2 "Pilot" & "The Secret Of The Old Morgue"
    5.) Scare Me (2020)
    6.) Return To Cabin By The Lake (2001)
    7.) Monsterland Episodes 1 & 2 "Port Fourchon, Louisiana" & "Eugene, Oregon"
    8.) 12 Hour Shift (2020)
    9.) Nancy Drew Episodes 3 & 4 "The Curse Of The Dark Storm" & "The Haunted Ring"
    10.) Halloween Party (2019)
    11.) Let's Scare Julie (2020)
    12.) The Night Brings Charlie (1990)
    13.) Death Of Me (2020)
    14.) Vampires Vs. The Bronx (2020)
    15.) Nancy Drew Episodes 5 & 6 "The Case Of The Wayward Spirit" & "The Mystery Of Blackwood Lodge"
    16.) Do Not Reply (2019)
    17.) Halloween Pussy Trap Kill! Kill! (2017)
    18.) The Clown At Midnight (1998)
    19.) Monsterland Episodes 3 & 4 "New Orleans, Louisiana" & "New York, New York"
    20.) Nancy Drew Episodes 7 & 8 "The Tale Of The Fallen Sea Queen" & "The Path Of Shadows"
    21.) Lovecraft Country Episode 1 "Sundown"
    22.) The Dead Ones (2019)
    23.) Possession: Until Death Do You Part (1987)
    24.) Monsterland Episodes 5 & 6 "Plainfield, Illinois" & "Palacios, Texas"
    25.) Hosts (2020)
    26.) Phantom Of Death (1988)
    27.) The Walking Dead Season 10 Episode 16 "A Certain Doom"
    28.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episode 1 "Brave"
    29.) Spontaneous (2020)
    30.) Tales From The Hood 3 (2020)
    31.) Eerie, Indiana Disc One Episodes 1 - 3
    32.) Nancy Drew Episodes 9 & 10 "The Hidden Staircase" & "The Mark Of The Poisoner's Pearl"
    33.) The Masque Of The Red Death (1989)
    34.) The Locals (2003)
    35.) Books Of Blood (2020)
    36.) The Wolf Of Snow Hollow (2020)
    37.) Hubie Halloween (2020)
    38.) Monsterland Episodes 7 & 8 "Iron River, Michigan" & "Newark, New Jersey"
    39.) Eli Roth's History Of Horror Season 2 Episode 1 "Houses Of Hell"
    40.) The Cleansing Hour (2019)
    41.) Alone (2020)
    42.) Save Yourselves! (2020)
    43.) Nancy Drew Episodes 11 & 12 "The Phantom Of Bonny Scot" & "The Lady Of Larkspur Lane"
    44.) Lovecraft Country Episode 2 "Whitey's On The Moon"
    45.) Never Hike In The Snow (2020) + Here Comes The Night (2019)
    46.) Broil (2020)
    47.) Goosebumps: The Blob That Ate Everyone (also: Piano Lessons Can Be Murder & My Hairiest Adventure)
    48.) Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo! (2020)
    49.) Nancy Drew Episodes 13 & 14 "The Whisper Box" & "The Sign Of The Uninvited Guest"
    50.) Lovecraft Country Episode 3 "Holy Ghost"
    51.) Night Terror (1989)
    52.) The Mortuary Collection (2019)
    53.) Memorial Valley Massacre (1989)
    54.) Goosebumps: Monster Blood (also: How To Kill A Monster & The Girl Who Cried Monster)
    55.) Welcome To The Blumhouse: Nocturne (2020)
    56.) Love And Monsters (2020)
    57.) Amusement (2008)
    58.) School Killer (2001)
    59.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy (includes: Night Of The Living Dummy II & Bride Of The Living Dummy)
    60.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 2 Episodes 4 - 7
    61.) Titicut Follies (1967)
    62.) Nancy Drew Episodes 15 & 16 "The Terror Of Horseshoe Bay" & "The Haunting Of Nancy Drew"
    63.) Lovecraft Country Episode 4 "A History Of Violence"
    64.) Grave Robbers (aka Ladrones De Tumbas) (1989)
    65.) Goosebumps: A Night In Terror Tower (also: Stay Out Of The Basement)
    66.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 3 Episodes 8 - 11
    67.) Nancy Drew Episodes 17 & 18 "The Girl In The Locket" & "The Clue In The Captain's Painting"
    68.) Lovecraft Country Episode 5 "Strange Case"
    69.) Spellcaster (1988)
    70.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 4 Episodes 12 - 15
    71.) Lovecraft Country Episode 6 "Meet Me In Daegu"
    72.) Pet Sematary II (1992)
    73.) The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975)
    74.) The Funhouse (1981)
    75.) Goosebumps: One Day At Horrorland (also: Welcome To Camp Nightmare)
    76.) They Live Inside Us (2020)
    77.) Rebecca (2020)
    78.) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
    79.) Goosebumps: Night Of The Living Dummy III
    80.) Lovecraft Country Episode 7 "I Am."
    81.) The Witches (2020)
    82.) Unsolved Mysteries: Volume 2 Episodes 1 - 3 "Washington Insider Murder" & "A Death In Oslo" & "Death Row Fugitive"
    83.) Bad Hair (2020)
    84.) The Dark (1993)
    85.) Lovecraft Country Episode 8 "Jig-a-Bobo"
    86.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 1 - 3 "The Great Good Place" & "The Pupil" & "The Two Faces, Part One"
    87.) Satan's Little Helper (2004)
    88.) Livid (2011)
    89.) Eerie, Indiana Disc 5 Episodes 16 - 19
    90.) Primal Rage (1988)
    91.) Night Of The Demons (2009)
    92.) Goosebumps: Welcome To Dead House
    93.) Lovecraft Country Episode 9 "Rewind 1921"
    94.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 4 - 6 "The Way It Came" & "The Altar Of The Dead" & "The Jolly Corner"
    95.) The Barn (2016)
    96.) Goosebumps: Attack Of The Jack-O'-Lanterns (also: Vampire Breath & Let's Get Invisible)
    97.) The Walking Dead: World Beyond Episodes 2 - 4 "The Blaze Of Gory" & "The Tyger And The Lamb" & "The Wrong End Of A Telescope"
    98.) Unsolved Mysteries Volume 2 Episodes 4 - 6 "Tsunami Spirits" & "Lady In The Lake" & "Stolen Kids"
    99.) House Of The Witch (2017)
    100.) Lightning Bug (2004)
    101.) Goosebumps: The Headless Ghost (also: Awesome Ants & Teacher's Pet)
    102.) Lovecraft Country Episode 10 "Full Circle"
    103.) The Haunting Of Bly Manor Episodes 7 - 9 "The Two Faces, Part Two" & "The Romance Of Certain Old Clothes" & "The Beast In The Jungle"
    104.) A Babysitter's Guide To Monster Hunting (2020)
    105.) Goosebumps: The Werewolf Of Fever Swamp
    106.) Fun Size (2012)
    107.) The Craft: Legacy (2020)
    108.) Come Play (2020)
    109.) Nobody Sleeps In The Woods Tonight (2020)

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You said two instances and I can't remember another one so it's surprisingly unmemorable to me. So yeah, the biggest let down of Twins of Evil is that you have twin Playboy playmates but you don't get much and they are not together when they do bare it (as I recall) which is something of the point. Why pay up for identical twins that are willing to go topless together but then not do it? I don't know if they were worried about censors concerned about incest or were just too cheap to literally pay for it (wanting only the marketing angle), but yes it's hard not to feel gypped after watching it.

I don't know if that just soured me on the whole thing, but I recall otherwise being disappointed in it. It has some rich environments and Cushing gets to be the heavy which is a rare treat but even still I found it lack luster. It's been a few years though so perhaps I can revisit it with fresh eyes.

The Vampire Lovers on the other hand, c'est magnifique.

indrid13 likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I got that one at a Shout sale back in spring and haven't watched it yet. But that sure sounds like a ringing endorsement.

As for Twins, yeah it's a let down if you're looking for a Skinemax-type movie. But considering how so many classic Hammer films would tease the sexuality but never actually deliver, even the two brief nude scenes are welcome (FYI, one of the scenes is early on, the sacrifice, the other is near the end when the "bad" twin is pretending to be her sister and trying to seduce her suitor).

I swear, talking about this I feel like Jon Lovitz in Tales of Ribaldry.

[​IMG]

But the movie itself, I think part of the reason I like it is that rather than another vampire threatening a small village, they add in the witchcraft angle. I dig movies with witch trials, burnings at the stake, etc. A while ago I went to the Torture Through the Ages exhibit, which displayed many of the devices used to torture those accused of witchcraft or just plain old heresy, and it was horrific. If they'd had put in half as much energy into real science as they did into how to torture people, George Washington would have crossed the Delaware on a jet boat. Seriously, there was some crazy shit happening back then, and I'd say that a good 80% of the torture involved the ass, which tells you something about the sexual repression. Obviously, Twins of Evil doesn't go there, but just hinting at it is enough to pique my interest. Oooooooooooh!

dave13, KGBRadioMoskow and indrid13 like this.
  10. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I guess just rewind her again and ya got the other one...

indrid13 likes this.
  11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Have you seen the UK TV series of 'what we do in the shadows'?

indrid13 likes this.
  12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

I ended up purging Twins of Evil, myself. Been a long while so I'm not totally sure on the why, as I rated it as 2.5 out of 4 and that is normally the cut off for "keep it". And Peter Cushing generally gets top shelf treatment on principle.

If I had to guess, it was "worth watching, not worth re-watching, so its sacrificed to the do something about the thousands of disks taking up room I don't have cause". I've had to put the "its a horror film collection, keep it just because it isn't bad" in my rear view mirror many many moons ago.

indrid13 likes this.
  13. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Not yet. I've heard plenty of good things about it so it's on my watch list for sure.

indrid13 and hots4 like this.
  14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    Day 29. ONE NIGHT IN APE CANYON: Watch a Bigfoot story.

Movie#56:
    Sasquatch, the Legend of Bigfoot (1976) (DVD)

This is a charming quasi-pseudo-documentary about some dudes looking for Sasquatch. The acting feels like it's from a stage play. Although the movie can be slow at times, it's not boring. There's a couple intense Sasquatch encounters that would have been creepy if I'd seen it as a kid. In fact this is something I would have watched on a Saturday afternoon growing up. There's also wacky animal hijinks to be had.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/29/2020

THE BEAST AND THE MAGIC SWORD (1983)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Way back in the 10th century, Irineus Daninsky (Paul Naschy) invokes the wrath of a witch after slaying an infamous outlaw for a member of royalty. Not just tough talk, the witch places a curse on the family. A little more than 600 years later we have Waldemar Daninsky (also Naschy) as the latest in the doomed bloodline dealing with his own case of lycanthropy. He's travelling in search of a cure and coming to possess a Hebrew amulet in the hopes of keeping the inner beast under control. Why stick around for more of the Spanish Inquistion? A sect recommends that Waldemar journey to Kyoto, Japan and find a certain Doctor named Kian (Sigheru Amachi). This dude specializes in alternative medicines and is quite skilled in swordsmanship thanks to his Samurai uncle. Takes some time for Waldemar to connect with him, allowing for ample werewolf carnage all over the place. A sorceress named Satomi (Junko Asahina) also claims to be able to help Daninsky. Can anyone succeed with this tall order?

If you're playing the numbers game, The Beast and the Magic Sword is the tenth film in Paul Naschy's Hombre Lobo series. It's the follow-up to Night of the Werewolf (1981), but the continuity does not exist trading the 20th century for the 16th century. This is the longest film in the series that I've seen, clocking in at nearly two hours. This Spanish-Japanese co-production is a rather ambitious one with notably improved production value, a number of subplots beyond the monster tale, frequent exhibitions of Samurai arts, and a more intense level of stunt work. The most entertaining scene finds Waldemar in werewolf mode fighting a Bengal tiger. Better realized and more exciting than the bear wrestling match in Day of the Animals (1977) to be sure. If that's not enough - there is a Geisha house rampage, Samurai & ninja battles, and black magic to spice things up. The picture as a whole can be a bit crowded, but getting Naschy's Wolf Man in a radically different setting and kicking some serious ass is great fun to this viewer at least.

It's a shame that a dub track was never made for The Beast and the Magic Sword. Having all characters speak Spanish is odd, especially for the large Japanese cast. Mondo Macabro did a fine job with this, proving once again they are the best label for handling the Paul Naschy library.

16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

lady-in-white-1988-02-g.jpeg

Lady in White

First time viewing for me. I picked up a used copy of the dvd a few months back. Decided to give it a go and I was pleasantly surprised the beginning takes place around Halloween, suburbia early 1960s.....always welcome some vintage Halloween aesthetic.

I'm glad I caught this, but ultimately it's pretty much a made for tv drama with some really outdated ghost effects, a relatively creepy sequence or two towards the end.....well made, just not going to be something I revisit very often.

17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 30

One day to go. It feels like the month went fairly quick.

137. Xtro III: Watch The Skies (1995) Prime - Managed to get this in. Definitely better than the second movie. Still not great. There was a scene with the helicopters where it looked like a toy and you could see whatever was holding it. Pretty cheesy. Did have some charm here and there.

138. Tombs Of The Blind Dead (1972) DVD - Always liked these movies. I was watching this one and was thinking how rough it looked. Then I remembered that Synapse is suppose to be working on this one, but haven't heard as much as a peep for quite a long time. Hope it gets that new transfer it so badly needs. Also thought it was kind of weird that they tried to capitalize on the Planet of the Apes by calling this one Revenge From Planet Ape. Kinda funny actually.

139. Return Of The Evil Dead (1973) DVD - Second Blind Dead movie that had the same premise with the Templar Knights. I'm sure most have seen these already so no idea what I could add.

140. The Ghost Galleon (1974) DVD - Third installment. This one revolves around a Galleon ship and once again the Templars.

141. Night Of The Seagulls (1975) Blu - Final Blind Dead movie. I switched to the blu for this one. Still like my coffin box set but would love to see all of these with much better transfers (the remaining 3 as this one has been done).

142. Pulse (2001) Blu - I hadn't seen this before. I thought I knew what I was getting into and after I finished it, it was much different than expected. This movie really makes you feel uneasy. I haven't seen the American remake yet but am betting it won't touch this one.

143. One Missed Call 2 (2005) Blu - Some similarities with the first movie, but some differences as well. I thought it was decent. One thing that kind of stuck out to me was it felt like it had an American horror movie vibe. The first movie felt J-Horror, but this one felt different. It's been fun watching these films. I never thought I would like the Japanese horror as much as I do.

I'll wrap the 3rd One missed Call movie tomorrow along with a few favorites to close down this years run.

~Rocker10

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thanks for the prime info on xtro 3. Didn't know that was available. I watched it years ago and thought it was shit but have wanted to re-visit recently, I thought about the vinegar syndrome disc but couldnt justify it as chances are I'll still hate it. Great to also then find out amazon are showing said vinegar syndrome print so that's a bonus.

fattyjoe37, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  19. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

A Quiet Place -

quiet place poster.jpg

I saw Platinum Dunes at the beginning of the movie and got worried. All those terrible remakes like Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th. But A Quiet Place is a really good movie. There are a bunch of scary moments with the creatures. And some sensitive horror moments that got to me.

I think it was this movie or another one that reminded me of the old War of the Worlds TV show. I have to finish that one. But I love the credits to that show.

There was another 80s or 90s alien invasion show I need to finish as well. I think it was called First something or other.

But back to A Quiet Place, I was thinking that I didn't really need a sequel during the movie. And also that even though good, it wasn't the sort of movie I would want to revisit. But at the end, depending on the sequel, this might be a good double feature to own. Although I have to say, I did feel a bit cheated at the end. I said to the screen, why end it here?!

I remember first seeing Emily Blunt in Wind Chill. An interesting but overall so so horror movie. But she had a good performance in that one. So it's cool to see her in another horror movie. Bring on the sequel.

Paranormal Activity -

paranormal activity.jpg

Someone posted that they watch this every October. I'm late on the Paranormal Activity series. I remember seeing a commercial with people screaming in the theater. I tend not to like ads like that. And I wasn't really looking forward to this series even though I've seen other movies of this type. I wasn't expecting a good movie. Yet Paranormal Activity is the real deal. It's on the level of the original Blair Witch Project.

Also, Paranormal Activity has perhaps one of the top 3 smartest White guys in horror movies. I put his image up for this review. He's the guy on the left. He only has a few scenes in the movie but his character is awesome. I love his final scene. I had to rewind it, I was cracking up so much.

I can't wait to see the rest of these movies now. I only have Part 2 On Demand right now. So it will wait till next year. I want to watch all of them in a week or two per day.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 30th: Hitch Hike to Hell

Like most fans of retro horror, I have a list of movies I really want on Blu-ray, and high on that list is Killer's Delight aka The Dark Ride. In the absence of that, I settled for another serial killer in a rape van indie last night. Here, the killer is a momma's boy who picks up hitch hikers. Many are runaways, and these he punishes by raping and strangling them. Well, the movie isn't exactly clear about whether or not he rapes all of them, as one victim is a young gay man and another is an 11 year old girl. I dug the 70's atmosphere but would have preferred more of a sense of climax. It's like the movie just runs out of gas at the end:

The detectives retrieve a piece of evidence from the final victim making it easy for them to identify and locate the killer. He is apprehended at work with little drama. For a movie wherein the killer's vehicle plays such an important part, I was hoping for a good car chase or something, but no such luck.