The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #17
    Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)
    Rewatch (Blu-ray)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    13. An actual FRIDAY THE 13TH in October(!) demands you watch any of the Friday The 13th franchise films. Even part 5, which is terrible.

Well this rewatch has me questioning my reality. For my entire horror loving life I’ve been saying that this was my favorite installment of the series and it’s sat pretty at a 4 1/2 out of 5 alongside the runner-up Jason Lives. So imagine my surprise when this time I found the scenes of the teenagers a little too repetitive (they couldn’t talk about one other thing besides sex?) and my rating dropped that little half a star. But what does that mean? Is VI now my favorite or do I have to rewatch it to see if it is now a 4 out of 5 and my rankings stay the same? These kind of complications happen when you don’t watch a series all together, something I try and avoid for this very reason.

2. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 13TH: Bloody Birthday, Sweet Sixteen, Happy Birthday To Me

3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 13

40. Prom Night (1980) Blu- Re-watching quite a few films today. Been getting quite a few first times in. Prom Night is a decent horror flick in my opinion. Nothing groundbreaking, just entertaining. Can't go wrong with Jamie Lee Curtis, especially in that era.

41. Night of the Living Dead (1968) Blu- Broke out the Happinet version on Blu which I think looks quite good. Have to ditch the subtitles as they drive me nuts, but the presentation is good. The movie speaks for itself. A genuine classic from one of my favorite directors of whom we lost this year. I tend to stick mostly with the trilogy as a feel the later films are a bit subpar for 'Dead' films. This one has earned its spot in history.

42. Dawn of the Dead (1978) Blu- Always liked this film. I like to think back to when I saw this for the first time. Loved the whole mall concept. The blu I have looks decent, but I would still pay for a definitive version of this film. Great stuff!

43. Day of the Dead (1985) Blu- Another decent chapter in the series. I bought the Scream version with the poster when it was new. The art was really cool on this one and eventually when I get my whole theater area sorted out, the poster will be framed and on the wall. I had actually watched the remake trilogy last year although the title that matches this one I don't remember having anything to do with this movie. This year it was a return to the original trilogy.

44. Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) Blu- The final film of the Mummy Legacy set. Light hearted way to end the evening. These guys were always fun to watch and I liked the look of the mummy in this movie.

~Rocker10

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

You just named three of my favourites there. The Manitou and Prophecy both need a Blu-ray bad.

It's pretty awesome, isn't it? As much as I enjoy seeing Jason stalking and slashing, this one is brutal! I was actually debating with myself whether to watch this or the first one to celebrate Friday the 13th, but I went with...

October 13th: Friday the 13th

[​IMG]

By now I've seen this movie so many times that it's like having an old friend over. I still enjoy the atmosphere created by Harry Manfredini's music and the excellent use of location. I absolutely dig how Betsy Palmer steps into the frame as a sweet, middle-aged lady, subtly turning up the menace. The shift in her voice and manner happens so gradually, it's like the parable of the frog in a pot of water that doesn't notice it's being cooked because the water is brought to boil slowly. Man, I wish I could see this movie again for the first time.

Rocker10, othervoice1, Natas and 3 others like this.
  5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Damn it! I missed that release. And now it's on sale for $140. I'm not sure if I should thank you for the review. Now I'm sad. :(

6. maskull

It's really nice to see that others love this one as much as I do. I never really cared about the fake Jason. It has some awesome kills, attractive ladies Reggie The Reckless, cool horror masks, crazy rednecks, and to this day I get the song Demon sings stuck in my head.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Natas, indrid13 and Kim Bruun like this.
  7. maskull

October 10:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

34) Tower of London (1962): Vincent Price is once again being haunted by ghosts, this time it's the spirits of the people that he's murdered on his way to becoming THE KING OF ENGLAND. He'll kill, kidnap, torture (whipping/the rack/rat in box around head), and pretty much do anything to achieve his goals. A real go-getter. Mr. Price spends large parts of the movie playing off of ghosts and he's quite good at it, a little hammy at times, but good. The rest of the time he's basically playing the most evil man on the planet...with a hump. So yeah a pretty great VP movie.

35) Curse, Death & Spirit (1992): An early 3 part horror anthology from Hideo Nakata (Ringu, Dark Water). One story about a cursed doll haunting a teen girl, the second about a boy who just lost his father, going camping with his mother and then being called into the river by a sad spirit who wants a child, and the third about three girls who go on vacation to a traditional inn and discover they're not alone in their room.

The effects aren't the best, it looks pretty cheap, and some will probably laugh at certain parts that are meant to be "scary" but I enjoyed this as a window into what a future horror master started out with and also because even though it's not particularly scary, or particularly original, it's core stories are interesting and well done.

8. maskull

October 11:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

36) Beaks aka Birds of Prey (1987): A lot of this movie is birds threatening to attack or building up to one with not enough pay off but when they actually happen they're pretty hilarious. People standing in a room screaming, trying to look terrified while birds randomly fly around them. Occasionally someone pecks them in a close up with a bird puppet. Good old fashioned cheese but it needed a few more actual attacks. Stars Michelle Johnson (Blame It On Rio) and her character gets naked...but it's obviously a body double.

37): Orcs! (2011): Had a good time with this one. Fantasy, comedy, and a little bit of horror that turns into a siege movie towards the end and references The Lord of the Rings a number of times. A movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, has some likable characters and a few moments that made me laugh. The orcs mostly look like guys in cheap Halloween costumes but they're still a great creature to be in a horror movie so I ain't completely complaining.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

13th - October Madness No.23 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 13 - FRIDAY THE 13TH: An actual Friday the 13th in October(!) demands you watch any of the Friday The 13th franchise films. Even part 5, which is terrible.

[​IMG]

Friday the 13th Part VII - The New Blood (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    For some reason it's the later Friday films' box art I remember most as a kid when looking through the horror section, and while Part VIII is probably the one that I looked at the most and put back too scared to rent it (I always thought the image of Jason reaching through the port hole was some terrifying reality version of the ACME dot before I ever saw the movie), it was definitely Part VII in a close second for memorable box art for me with the mask and female face split in half by the knife. And it also happens to be the only one I still own on VHS - since I had Kane Hodder sign it - and I was feeling nostalgic. I know a lot of people dislike this one and the whole psychokinetic subplot, but damn it if this one - which also happens to be Hodder's first role as the big never-dead guy - isn't big dumb fun that's never boring. While it's goofy, it doesn't stoop to the stupidity of Part VI, one of my least favourite Fridays. The New Blood is speedily paced by director/effects creator John Carl Buechler and features a kill or multiple kills nearly every 5 or so minutes, so even if you don't like the story in this one it at least delivers the goods. Now if only this one could get the full uncut restoration treatment!

13th - October Madness No.24

[​IMG]

3 Dead Trick or Treaters (2017) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    3 Dead Trick or Treaters is a new indie horror anthology that's a bit of a welcome change of pace to the tired subgenre as it completely dispenses with dialogue - a ballsy move - and is chock full of pure Halloween atmosphere and dread. The wraparound involves a paperboy who stumbles upon the graves of 3 dead trick or treaters, and each cross marker has a short story tacked to them which counts for the individual segments - which actually total 5 including the wraparound. Despite it's micro-budget, the camera work is excellent and the scenery filled with autumn colours, creepy Halloween masks, and just oozes mood and the score especially goes above and beyond anything you'd hear in the majority of indie films these days. The stories themselves are interesting and are more rooted in themes rather than A to B to C storytelling, a bold decision based around the fact that it's basically a "silent" film, which leaves room for discussion and interpretation, and it's a bit darker and more cruel than most anthologies which tend to weigh themselves down in camp. While this one will be elusive to most as it's currently only playing film festivals and the like right now, my company Videonomicon is actually releasing this on VHS this Halloween - which is the only physical release this film will have at the moment.

10. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 13th-

Spent Friday night watching my favorite two Friday the 13th films.

Rocker10, othervoice1, Natas and 3 others like this.
  11. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 13th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

27) The Houses October Built 2: Quite disappointing for what could have been an entertaining sequel. The whole first hour is nothing more than filler and does nothing to move the plot forward. Sure, a lot of the haunted attractions showcased are exciting and fun, but it did nothing more than give the director an excuse to show off one sweeping landscape shot with his drone after the other. By the time the Blue Skeleton “Cult” comes back into play, I couldn’t have cared less. Tack on an absurd ending and you have a giant waste of time and potential. (4/10)

28) Better Watch Out: A unique, yet flawed, horror comedy. I don’t know what it was about this, but just when I thought the plot was really going to take off it would lose steam. It’s frustrating because I liked the cast, a lot of the jokes were amusing, and the plot swerve during the second act was refreshing, it just never added up to something special. (6/10)

29) Friday the 13th part VI: Jason Lives

maskull, Workshed and KGBRadioMoskow like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

KGBRadioMoskow and maskull like this.
  13. maskull

indrid13 and satans-sadists like this.
  14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm back home and can finally get into my October watching, so here we go:

October 9th:

Aberration (2007) (DVD) - My options were super limited and I'd never even heard of this movie. Low budget supernatural teen murder mystery. It's not much of a horror movie, this is strictly Lifetime material. Not recommended.

October 12th:

Trip With The Teacher (1975) (blu-ray) - Not a horror movie, but definitely '70s exploitation. Wanted to watch something Vinegar Syndrome and this certainly fit the bill. Overall, a really fun movie. I've seen the same thing done many times before, but this one did it well enough.

GERALD.JPG

Gerald's Game (2017) (NetFlix) - I never finished the book because I got bored with it, so it worked much better for me as a movie. As an adaptation, it's terrific. Gugino, Greenwood, Flanigan, all great. Really liked the ending. Reminded me a lot of Coscarelli's Incident On And Off A Mountain Road, based on Joe Lansdale's short story.

October 13th:

HDD.JPG

Happy Death Day (2017) (theater) - I preferred the director's previous film Scout's Guide, but I'll happily take a good fun horror movie on the big screen. Could have used a little edge, but it's definitely aimed for the teen crowd. Try not to overthink it and you'll probably have fun. Hoping this will usher in some more theatrical slasher films!

Friday The 13th (1980) (theater) - I had never seen the original Friday on the big screen, so this was a treat. Dragged along three friends who had never seen it before (after repeatedly warning them there was no hockey mask in it). Two liked it, one didn't. Love the regional horror atmosphere, the fun characters, the setting, everything about it. It's total horror movie comfort food for me.

October 14th:

Don't Kill It (2016) (NetFlix) - This is pretty much SyFy channel fare, but with that in mind it isn't bad. Still, I do miss the Mike Mendez that gave us The Convent and The Gravedancers. It's cool premise that doesn't quite live up to its potential.

Previous entries:
    Flatliners (2017)
    Ghosted "Pilot"

15. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 14TH: Willard (1971), Ben, Willard (2003), Rats: Night of Terror, Deadly Eyes

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 13 - Friday the 13th Part V (1985) -
    Watched it late last night since some folks on here mentioned it so it was in my head - it is definitely one that has grown on me over the years - lot of kills and boobs - I mean how can you not like it? The character Tina alone makes it worthwhile! Probably just outside the top 5 of my favorite Friday the 13th movies but quite enjoyable.
    3/5
    Oct 14 - Black Water (2007)
    You can tell this was a low budget movie but it is pretty effective for what it is. Not great but enjoyable. I still like Rogue from the same year more.
    2.5/5

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    maskull, indrid13 and Rocker10 like this.
  17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

7. Hellraiser (Clive Barker, 1987)

upload_2017-10-14_23-26-43.jpeg

The whole movie is great, but the first 30 minutes are a legitimate masterpiece. The opening in the cafe, Franks's ceremony and the arrival of the cenobites are all wonderful (this was the first time I noticed that the rotating column had a pair of cocks nailed to the lower portion of it!). The scene where Julia remembers her affair with Frank and Larry cuts his hand is probably the best scene in the film. The cutting back and forth, the music, the grimy, sweaty lust of it all builds to some kind of orgasmic crescendo. Then, when you think it's over, it goes even further with the rebirth of Frank. It's just spectacular, the whole thing.

I love how this film almost takes on the nature of the puzzle box and cenobites in some weird meta way. It's revolting and erotic at the same time, and it honestly seems like you're experiencing something vaguely forbidden as you watch it. Especially during the beginning. The rest of the movie is great, but it never quite rises to the heights of that early scene.

I also like how Julia appears so innocent and genuinely in love with Larry in the flashback, before she is corrupted by Frank. That's a new layer to the character that I'd never really noticed or considered before. She wasn't born a cold-hearted bitch. It was Frank that did that.

8. Hellbound: Hellraiser II (Tony Randel, 1988)

upload_2017-10-14_23-42-13.jpeg

I've always enjoyed Hellraiser II, but I think watching it so quickly after the original this time really brought its shortcomings to the fore. When it comes down to it, it just feels very unnecessary. The cenobites in the first film didn't need an explanation. And the one that is presented here only diminishes them. There are also several leaps in logic that the film has to overcome to get to the point it wants to. Why does Kyle just decide to break-and-enter his way into Channard's house? The cenobites also seem to have weird double-standards for those who call them using the box. They won't take Tiffany because "it is not hands that call us...it is...desire." But they have no problem trying to take Kirsty? And then why does Julia seem to be so much more powerful as a revenant then Frank was? She has the power to create new cenobites? I guess she says that "they wanted souls" or something, but...who is "they"? The cenobites? They don't seem very happy to see Channard when he shows up all tricked out. Leviathan? Maybe. Not that everything needs to be explained. But this film seems pretty scattershot, rather than the original's calculated ambiguity. Still a really enjoyable film. Well made and very beautiful to look at (I love the matte paintings of hell), and it also has its fair share of iconic scenes...but it lacks the focus of the first film.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  18. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 14
    [​IMG]
    South Park ~ Pink Eye (1997)

maskull and indrid13 like this.
  19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #18
    Gerald’s Game (2017)
    First time viewing (Netflix)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    14. KING FOR A DAY: Watch anything based on a Stephen King story. Shawshank don’t count, the rules…

Enjoyed this “bottle story” from King. Plenty of suspense and layers to the story to keep it interesting, but I do have to agree with the consensus that the epilogue takes away some of the film’s power and should’ve been left on the page.

[​IMG]
    Movie #19
    Curse of Chucky (2013)
    Rewatch (Unrated Blu-ray)
    *** (out of 5)

Had only seen this once before and wanted a refresher before checking out Cult. Still stand by my assessment that the suspense and old dark house atmosphere work great, but the cracks start showing in the final stretch when it reveals how this story fits in with the rest of the franchise.

maskull, Workshed, dave13 and 2 others like this.
  20. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 14

45. The Incubus (1982) Stream- The story made this one interesting to me. It wasn't a highly active type of film but keeps you guessing in a way. First time watch for me. Didn't really have the ending figured out which was nice.

46. Hellraiser (1987) Blu- Part of the recent Scarlet Box. Going to dig in deeper to this set as a whole, but decided to just take in the first movie today. It had been a long time since I had seen this. I have bought many versions over the years, but for some reason didn't dive in to it. You get something as nice as the Scarlet Box and you feel the need to really dig in and check it all out. Great movie that really raised the bar when it came out. Love the series up to a point. Things get kind of goofy later on in the series, but this movie is a classic.

47. House of Wax (1953) Blu- You can't go wrong with Vincent Price. Always liked the story in this movie and Price delivers a great performance as always. Even though the movie was 3D, I decided to just stick with the 2D version. Kind of funny watching the gimmicky 3D stuff happening like the paddle ball in multiple scenes. The movie itself does look a bit soft in scenes, but with the age of the movie it really does look quite good.

48. Eaten Alive (1976) Blu- This was a re-watch for me. The Arrow set is really nice but man is this movie wacky as hell. In a good way, but so crazy. Tons of screaming similar to Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Quite a noisy movie. Liked it though.

I got my two Vinegar Syndrome titles today that were just shipped so those will be in my next watches. Demon Wind and The Corpse Grinders. Ordered direct due to slips and the shipping ended up being ridiculous fast. I did start on Demon Wind and am liking it so far. More on that later!

~Rocker10