The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Not that the first was flawless, but the sequels played fast, loose, and silly with the wish rule mythology. What started as requiring intentional requests diluted to off color comments qualifying as "wishes" to finally just being in the same room doing something hedonistic.

Basically the creators weren't even trying anymore, just racking up the body count as quickly and eye catchingly as possible.

Andrew Divoff, of course, is the shining star in the first two films. He makes the character, and sadly the producers try a lesser talent in the later films.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/19 Serpent's Lair (1995)(Amazon Streaming)

Deeper cut Fahey here. Fahey plays a douche-y but well-meaning businessman who moves into an apartment where the previous owner had killed himself (under an the shroud of ominous, undefined occult shenanigans). When the previous owner's sister (played by the stunning Lisa B.) shows up she begins to seduce him... and she may be more than she seems...

I saw this on cable back in the day. It's not for everyone. Long sections of the movie are the insanely hot Lisa B. dry humping Fahey but the structure of the story borrows liberally from Rosemary's Baby, The Omen and other such occult-influenced films. Fahey gives a quality performance and Lisa B. is surprisingly good in a role that could have gone really camp very easily.

It's slow, deliberate, not a lot of gore - in fact, I'd be hard pressed to call this a "horror" film, it is more a thriller in terms of tone and execution.

At any rate, it still played well for me and if it gets a Blu release I'd be happy to pick it up.

hulkyduck, maskull, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/18/17

THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (1966)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Renown London University medical professor Sir James Forbes (Andre Morell, Watson from Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles) receives a letter from one of his favorite former students, Peter Thompson (Brook Williams). Peter is now a doctor himself suffering through a hellish experience practicing medicine in a small Cornish village where residents continue to die under mysterious circumstances. Forbes goes for a visit along with daughter Sylvia (Diane Clare) to see how he might be able to help. Despite the small population (ever dwindling), the village has more than its share of undesirables: belligerent surly drunks, a group of young entitled male assholes who get their kicks bullying others (when in their full numbers), & just a lot of citizens paranoid of outsiders. Adding to the resistance is Squire Clive Hamilton (John Carson) who serves as the village magistrate, coroner, judge, & jury. Hamilton is the sort of authority figure unwilling to authorize grave exhumations & autopsies, "hands on" academic studies that could provide Sir James & Dr. Thompson some answers. Much of the nightmares are emanating from an abandoned local tin mine, currently in an advanced state of disrepair.

The Plague of the Zombies is one of my top favorite Hammer Horror films. Just because Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee are not present, doesn't mean you should write this one off. Andre Morell is more than capable of carrying the film with an air of credibility. He even pronounces Caribbean country HAITI in a way I've never heard before, but love it! As the primary antagonist, John Carson (who passed away last year) is very game. Carson was also seen in other Hammer films like Taste the Blood of Dracula & Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. Those familiar with him can vouch for the actor's voice. He sounds a lot like James Mason. Those of us who enjoy the lovely ladies of Hammer will get some disappointment as there are no scantily clad ladies onscreen. Diane Clare is very pretty but also remains very dressed. Versatile character actor Michael Ripper (too many credits to speak of) is also on board as the feisty Police Sergeant. Ripper has been in more Hammer films than just about anyone. This UK Blu-ray I revisited from Studio Canal is a great presentation that captures the detailed production design, stylish Gothic atmosphere, & creature effects very well.

It's best if you don't go in expecting flesh munching carnage. This picture was released two years before George Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Hammer's film depicts the zombies as both killers & servants put to work. All is tied together through the performance of voodoo blood rituals. If you don't require gruesome content & wish to see a British Gothic take on the subject matter, The Plague of the Zombies should work for you.

hulkyduck, maskull, Workshed and 5 others like this.
  4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 17th:

Bunk'd "Bride And Doom" & "Camp Kiki-slasher" (DVR) - This is a Disney Channel sitcom set at a summer camp. I had never seen it before, but if I stumble across a Halloween special I'm likely to watch it. Wasn't impressed by the ghost-centric "Bride And Doom" but "Camp Kiki-slasher" was a lot of fun. For Disney channel, it was surprisingly bloody in a Summer School way. Doesn't hold a candle to "Zeke The Plumber" from Salute Your Shorts, but still good fun.

BLOODBEAT.JPG

Blood Beat (1983) (blu-ray) - I love rural American horror and the whole Nightmare USA thing, but aside from the woodsy Wisconsin atmosphere and Vinegar Syndrome's gorgeous 4K transfer, this one was a bit of a slog to get through. I've read a couple plot synopsis' for it, but I'm not sure how anyone was able to decipher any plot out of it. It doesn't make any sense.

NEVERKNOCK.JPG

Neverknock (2017) (DVR) - Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through these SyFy channel original movies, and then I'll get something like Neverknock and remember why. This was a really fun little Halloween treat, even if it loses some steam in the final half. It's basically a supernatural teen slasher, with a group of teens being picked off one-by-one via their greatest fears after knocking on a haunted house on Halloween night. Perhaps SyFy's most entertaining original since Sorority Horror House.

October 18th:

The Corpse Grinders (1971) (blu-ray) - I don't think I'd ever seen a Ted. V. Mikels film before. I enjoyed it, it was quaint fun and the running time was graciously short. Reminded me of an H.G. Lewis film only with a bit more style. Loved the neon green lighting and the grave-robbing scenes. Needed more cat attacks.

Hatchet III (2013) (blu-ray) - This is a fun sequel! Not as good as the first, but a major improvement over the second. It's a brisk 80 minutes and action-packed from start to finish (save for the unnecessary Sid Haig cameo, which brings the film to a screeching halt). Zach Galligan and Caroline Williams are great in their roles. I'm all ready for Victor Crowley this weekend!

SLASHER.JPG

Slasher: Guilty Party "Six Feet Under" & "Between Good And Evil" (NetFlix) - Terrific start to the season! Hopefully it can sustain itself, because the first season fell apart about halfway through. This season tells the story of five former camp counselors who reunite at an abandoned summer camp in the middle of winter. They're there to move the body of a fellow counselor they murdered five years earlier, as the camp grounds are being developed over. But once there, they find the body is gone and a masked killer starts picking them off one by one. My only concern is that they're killing off the counselors too fast, there's 6 episodes left and there's going to be no one left!

Not horror, but also watched the Spielberg documentary on HBO and re-watched Baby Driver on blu-ray. Baby Driver is AMAZING. Seriously. Buy it! This one's a keeper!

Previous entries:
    The Sandman (2017)
    Amsterdamned (1988)
    Hatchet II (2010)
    Hatchet (2006)
    The Black Room
    (2017)
    American Horror Story: Cult "11/9"
    The Babysitter
    (2017)
    Better Watch Out
    (2016)
    Don't Kill It (2016)
    Friday The 13th (1980)
    Happy Death Day (2017)
    Gerald's Game (2017)
    Trip With The Teacher (1975)
    Aberration (2007)
    Flatliners (2017)
    Ghosted "Pilot"

hulkyduck, maskull, Colin and 6 others like this.
  5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 18th-

Had a Charlie Spradling double bill. Man, back in the early 90's I was in lust with her. I forgot how much I enjoyed the first Mirror Mirror film. I remember the 2nd one being decent. Going to watch the rest of the series next.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    X-human, hulkyduck, Workshed and 5 others like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I adore Mirror Mirror, it's a major favorite of mine! But man, are the sequels rough... good luck to you!

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

11. Warlock: The Armageddon (Anthony Hickox, 1993)

upload_2017-10-19_21-43-4.jpeg

After revisiting Anthony Hickox's Waxwork films earlier this year, I was kind of excited to view this and Hellraiser III. But unfortunately neither one is a credit to him, or to the film(s) that preceded them. This really has none of the elements that made the original such an interesting experience. The wicked streak of mean spiritedness is gone, as is the period dialogue and warlock spells and rules. He seems more like the Djinn from Wishmaster than the character from the original, especially with the "Picasso" scene. There are a few worthwhile elements, though. A few saving graces that at kept my attention at least partially. There are several great character actors like R.G Armstrong and Bruce Glover playing the town elders/druids. Zach Galligan has a cameo that may have been the most pleasantly surprising moment in the film. And Paula Marshall is as beautiful here as she was in Hellraiser III.

12. Hellraiser: Bloodline (Alan Smithee, 1996)

upload_2017-10-19_21-56-12.jpeg

And speaking of Hellraiser... Ugh. Jesus wept, indeed. I had only intended to watch the original trilogy, to finally go through my Scarlet Box. But after finishing Hell on Earth, I was curious (god help me) to revisit this, another one I hadn't seen in many, many years. While Hell on Earth was silly and lightweight, this thing is an out-and-out turd. The three stories feel like they were adapted from some Hellraiser comic book. None of them have any depth, anything worth caring about, any characters that resonate. The Pinhead/"Princess" Angelique relationship is an absolute mess. Who is she? How does she relate to Pinhead? What does she want? Why was she content to be that dude's sex slave for 200 years, only to slaughter him when he raises the slightest opposition? The fact that this was heavily re-shot is painfully evident. None of the story makes any sense. Why make an origin story for the box that doesn't explain anything ABOUT the box?! Why does it work? What does it do?

I can think of 2 things that I liked about this film:

1. Angelique punching into the wall and retrieving the box from the foundation of the building, indicating that - yes, despite the fact that the mythology in this film bares absolutely no resemblance to that of the first three, this is still a sequel to the 3rd film, and the box is where Joey left it at the end of that movie.

2. Kim Myers. Lisa, from Nightmare 2, is in this. I had a huge crush on her in Freddy's Revenge, and it was great to see her again.

That's it. I'm done with Hellraisers for the time being.

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  8. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Cat lady Lisa Barbuscia and her cat rubbing all over everything was the first, last, and arguably only reason to see that film. My Y chromosome and 90s bad movie nostalgia may tempt me to buy this if it ever escapes VHS purgatory, but I'm fairly certain I'd soon regret the decision.

9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 19TH: Cat's Eye, Pet Sematary, Children of the Corn, Rose Red

10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I love Andrew Divoff in the first two. His demeanor just makes his character so much better. I have yet to watch the other two, but finding out that Divoff wasn't the Djinn is disappointing. Thanks for the comments!

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  11. Rocker10

Day 19

Much lighter viewing day due to company, but I'm about to have a lot of days off due to vacation.

69. Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies (1999) Blu- 2nd from the Vestron set. I liked this one a lot. I mentioned above that I really liked Andrew Divoff as the Djinn. The attitude he carries without breaking the rules when it comes to the wishes is great. Had me cracking up in several scenes in this movie including the inmates lawyer part. I'll be checking out the next 2, but with much lower expectations. The first 2 I am definitely a fan of.

70. The Incredible 2 Headed Transplant (1971) Blu- I took Indrid 13's thoughts on this one as well as the other two headed movie and grabbed both. I am a fan of oddball and obscure stuff. This definitely fit that bill. It turned out a bit different in the way I envisioned it, but with it being such a bad movie, I had a lot of fun with it. When I first started collecting on DVD, I went with titles that you were expected to buy. As I moved on to Blu, my collection has evolved into something quite different. Stuff like the two headed movies or other oddball type stuff will get repeat viewings. I haven't even watched some of those bigger name titles on DVD. I had to evolve as there was no good reason to buy stuff like that. Anyway, odd, but fun. Movie looked good up to the last 10 minutes or so where there must have been some damge to the source as it was a bit rough for a few minutes. I'll catch the other movie this weekend sometime.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, maskull, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  12. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 19th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

43) Monster Squad

44) Night of the Creeps

hulkyduck likes this.
  13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

18th - October Madness No.34

[​IMG]

78/52 (2017) - Rating: 3.5/5
    78/52 is a documentary about Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho - but specifically the shower scene and it's impact and how it completely changed cinema going forward. Featuring a wide range of interview subjects such of Peter Bogdonavich, Walter Murch, Bob Murawski, Osgood Perkins, Aaron Moorhead, Justin Benson, Elijah Wood, and of course Jamie Lee Curtis (and more) who dissect everything about the scene from the planning, to the shooting, to the editing, and sound, and all the nuances of character and suspense and details that Hitchcock imbued in it. I was hesitant that this wouldn't work as a feature length doc just based on the premise as it seemed more like it might be stretched a little long dealing with the subject matter, but was pleasantly surprised at how engaging and informative it was. Highly recommended for fans of Psycho and Hitchcock in general.

18th - October Madness No.35 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 18 - RAW MEAT ON THE STREETS: A heaping helping of subdermal proteins. A "gore"geous bounty.

[​IMG]

Saw (2004) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5
    I haven't seen Saw since it first came out on DVD and thought I'd revisit it again before Jigsaw arrives next week. I remember seeing this in the theatre on opening day and being quite surprised by it as I had no expectations about it or had heard anything about it prior, but on rewatch it seems to have aged poorly and doesn't hold up nearly as well as I was hoping it would. Stylistically is where it really dates itself and the quick cuts, gimmicky speed ramps, and terrible nu-metal soundtrack really had me groaning, and the story - knowing where everything goes - really feels forced and poorly executed when you know all the secrets. Obviously it's a film designed primarily for that first initial viewing seeing as it's based around twists that you aren't supposed to see coming but then all it's magic is lost forever on any repeat viewings. I'll still check out Jigsaw, but my desire to rewatch the rest of the series has waned a bit.

19th - October Madness No.36 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 - COMEDIC CHOPS: More comedy than horror. It's okay to laugh, even in October.

[​IMG]

Microwave Massacre (1983) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5
    Microwave Massacre is either going to make you laugh until it hurts, or groan until it hurts, and luckily for me I get numerous belly laughs out of this human-shaped ham sandwich. Jackie Vernon is perfect as the blue-collar anyman who's fed up with his wife's disregard for his simplistic and fussy palette so he hacks her up and learns that the new microwave she got is the perfect thing to make all his new meals sizzle and taste extra special. Problem is she was a little old and tough, so some fresh young meat will have to do the trick the next time he's hungry! Running a short 76 minutes it's a perfect length for this horror spoof that's heavy on the cheese with just the right amount of fat but you won't feel bloated after watching.

19th - October Madness No.37 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 Part 2 - COMEDIC CHOPS: More comedy than horror. It's okay to laugh, even in October.

[​IMG]

Flesh-Eating Mothers (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    A brand new venereal disease infects all the two-timing mother's in a small town who get a taste for the flesh of their young and it's up to the surviving children to stop them. This 16mm '80s low-budget backyard flick is a bunch of fun that while delivering the laughs along with the gruesome gore also delivers some serious commentary on relationships, domestic abuse, and wrapping up your tool! While there are some sections that slog the film to a halt, there's plenty of flesh-eating and even a scene that would surely make any animal lover look away. I know 88 Films released this on Blu-ray, but the Elite DVD from 2004 still looks damn good!

19th - October Madness No.38 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 19 Part 3 - COMEDIC CHOPS: More comedy than horror. It's okay to laugh, even in October.

[​IMG]

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    It's been well over a decade since I've seen Killer Klowns, so it was about time I revisited it and what a fun carnival ride of laughs, horror, and sci-fi action this one is. While it's got some holes here and there, and a few pacing issues, you can't ignore the fact that the Chiodo Brothers' effects, props, and influences are a blast to watch come alive on screen. Plus Royal Dano AND John Vernon? And that catchy Dickies theme song? Yup. Best enjoyed with a side of popcorn or cotton candy.

Workshed, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.
  14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 19th-

Last night watched Mirror Mirror 2: Raven Dance. An okay follow up with a good cast: Roddy McDowall, William Sanderson, Veronica Cartwright, Sally Kellerman, Sarah Douglas and Mark "The Fucking Hulk" Ruffalo!?

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 2 others like this.
  15. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 20TH: Hocus Pocus, Mr. Boogedy, The Monster Squad, Halloween Is Grinch Night, Boo! A Madea Halloween, Garfield's Halloween Adventure, It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19 - Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
    OK so it is sci-fi and not horror - but putting it down anyways - awesome score and solid acting as well as outstanding visuals and a solid story- really enjoyed it
    4.5/5
    Oct 20 - The Barn (2016)
    Knowing fully that is an indie low budget effort it was a lot of fun. Good monsters, decent story , passable acting and rockin soundtrack- kind of hard to score since you have to keep in mind the budget it was shot on.
    3/5

hulkyduck, indrid13, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Well I'm really falling behind on my postings. Work is exhausting me but at least I'm finding time for actual movie watching. :)

October 15:

48) Werewolf Rising (2014): Apart from the padded conversations to reach feature length runtime and a score that consists of three bits of music played on repeat, no matter what the situation is on screen, the movie almost works as an interesting take on the werewolf story. Not original, just interesting. I like the low budget "transformation" scenes where the characters just contort their bodies, the actors do a decent job of playing humans turning into werewolves...at least they don't resort to too much cheap cgi and I actually liked the werewolves' faces, cheap rubber mask-esque but ones that can open and close their mouths and express somewhat. Maybe it's just my love of werewolf movies, but I kind of enjoyed the movie and where it went. It's an ultra cheaply made movie but I've seen much, much worse from bigger budgets.

49) Legend of the Werewolf (1975): It takes a while to get rolling but once it does it features some bloody kills, a nice monster make-up, and a wonderful performance by Peter Cushing as the man who's trying to figure out who or what is killing a bunch of people in the Streets of Paris.

50) Blood Moon (2014): So the Brits decided to make a Western...with werewolves, or skinwalkers technically. But then they spend a lot of the movie on two brothers kidnapping people from a stagecoach that never really amounts to anything except me saying "where are the werewolves? where are the werewolves?" over and over in my head. It's not a horrible Western and some of our characters have secrets of their own, but it got to be a little too much after a while of people standing around talking. Once the skinwalker shows up it definitely gets better though.

51) Love Bite (2012): It's like American Pie with the concept of Cherry Falls but with a werewolf instead of a slasher....but not as good. I'll be honest, I started fast forwarding a couple of times through the annoying montages of "humour" and really nothing much happens until the last 20-ish minutes when the werewolf starts upping it's game, but before that it's really annoying characters doing annoying things and not making me laugh....until the end and where the two main characters ended up. Maybe fast forward to the final 20 minutes?

52) Little Dead Rotting Hood (2016): I'd heard this was an Asylum film, but for most of the runtime I didn't believe it because it's actually...decent. There was no over reliance on cheap cgi, they had real wolves for most of the scenes, the story was interesting and I dunno Eric Balfour seems like he isn't low enough to appear in one of their movies. But then the big, bad evil werewolf showed up and it was total crap cgi and the bullets were bouncing off him in that way that they do in an Asylum film and the story also took a turn for the worse. I knew I was in The Asylum country. One of their better ones though.

October 16:

53) Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (1982):
    Bo Svenson plays a cop that makes Archie Bunker (look it up kids!) look like a rational human being, Julia Duffy's boobs, and Susan Tyrrell might just be the best, most over-the-top, most disturbed mom/killer in film history. What an amazing performance and I'm still shocked someone even came up with the idea for this movie, let alone got it made. A wonderful movie if you have the need to feel uncomfortable and have a blast at the same time.

54) Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1986): It's kind of slow and probably not enough happens but I've always enjoyed this movie. Actually every time I watch it, the first 15 minutes or so I wonder to myself "why did I like this movie?", but then Crazy Evelyn starts popping up from the floor and unleashing critters and death and I remember.

October 17:

55) Savage (2011):
    I think people going into this wanting a lot of bigfoot action will be pretty disappointed. Hell "bigfoot" in this movie was a lot more agile than usually portrayed, he runs faster, he climbs trees like a monkey, he jumps from branch to branch and grabs his victims from above more often than not....so not your typical bigfoot movie. It's also a pretty slow movie, but with some good action moments, but long stretches of people struggling with other problems, besides the monster in the forest. But that's where I enjoyed the movie. I liked all the characters and their backstory. Their interactions with each other were fun. There was enough monster to keep things jumping, but the rest of the time I just really sat their and had a nice time hanging out with these characters.

56) The Sand (2015): I love cheap movies with bad effects but this is one time where I kind of wish someone with some cash would take this movie and hire a great effects person and a few actors who aren't so...annoyingly awful. I would love to see that. But even with the iffy effects and bad acting this is a pretty enjoyable movie. A monster in the sand? Not wholly original but a freakin' fun concept, especially as it picks off obnoxious partygoers during a spring break FIESTA! The movie is pretty fast moving for a people trapped in a single location movie and there's some gorey (cgi ugh!!!) moments.

57) Unnatural (2015): I never realised it until I watched this movie, but I've always wanted to see a horror film with a giant, mutant polar bear (with a hint of wolf dna), attacking James Remar, Graham Greene (have I ever mentioned how much I love Graham Greene?), Sherilyn Fenn, Q’orianka Kilcher and some attractive models, in a cabin in the snowy wilds. I mean, killer polar bear would be enough.

October 18:

58) Urban Explorers (2011):
    I was excited to watch this thinking they'd actually make more use of the tunnels beneath Berlin, instead they just give you another crazy guy who likes to torture and terrorize (and eat) unsuspecting people. It's been done so many times and I'm not into the whole torture thing, I like my kills quick and bloody. Some good-ish gore moments though.

59) Slaughter Night (2006): Dutch horror about a possession/body swapping serial killer picking off a group of mostly college kids in a mine. The gore would be quite nice if there wasn't so much waggling of the camera to make it all indecipherable and there's really nothing new being done.

Workshed, hulkyduck, Colin and 5 others like this.
  18. Rocker10

Day 20

71. Wishmaster 3 (2001) Blu- I went in with low expectations and expectations were met. Probably my least favorite of the 4 in the set. It's watchable, but weak in my opinion.

72. Wishmaster 4 (2002) Blu- Slightly better than 3 in my opinion. The Djinn was slightly more likable than 3 but both films suffered from not having Divoff. The Vestron set overall is pretty well done. I did get the fixed disc for the first movie and enjoyed the set as a whole.

73. Poltergeist (1982) DVD- I don't think I had watched this movie since it was freshly released way back. Always liked it, but never went back to it. I absolutely enjoyed it. It was riveting even after all of these years. I really wanted to check this one out on BLu as I have the recent parts 2 and 3 from Scream on Blu, but wasn't able to secure one yet. Quality of the dvd wasn't very good, but it was fun to go back and watch this one again.

74. Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986) Blu- Nice to see the cast back (or most) for this sequel. I thought it took a dip and wasn't quite as enjoyable as the first, but it was still a decent watch. I do believe I had seen this one as well before so it was a re-watch.

75. Poltergeist III (1988) Blu- Weakest of the 3 easily. 2 cast remembers return and it would be the final film for Heather O'Rourke who passed away prior to its theatrical release. The movie is watchable, but I had a much harder time liking this movie. To me, the series feels worn out with this film. I don't regret the purchase as I am a completionist on some of these series, but this one won't get much time in the player.

~Rocker10

19. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 19th: Axe aka Lisa, Lisa

[​IMG]

Fleeing the police, three murderers intrude upon weird, pretty Lisa who lives with her mute, paralysed grandfather in an isolated farmhouse. When one of them forces himself upon her, she demonstrates how she can use that axe to do more than behead chickens. I like the idea of shorter than feature length horror movies. Axe takes little more than an hour to pass you by. And that's what the movie does: It passes you by. Lisa goes through the entire film with a blank expression on her face, and while one might get the impression that she is somehow traumatised, but she seems so alien that it is difficult to relate to her as a character. The three criminals are somehow more familiar. Two of them are abusive assholes, and the third is passive, with a perpetual look of guilt in his eyes. Obviously, the sympathy of the audience lies with Lisa, because of what she is subjected to, but you aren't really drawn in. At least I wasn't. This way of making the villains feel less strange to the audience than the protagonist is an interesting experiment, but not entirely successful. On the other hand, Axe is rich with quietly beautiful and sad cinematography, but those lured in by the alternative title, California Axe Massacre, will probably find it distant and lacking in visceral impact.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Workshed, Rocker10, hulkyduck and 6 others like this.
  20. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

After a week vacation in Boston, it's back to getting my October on. I wasn't able to catch any movie over the last week, but I did spend a night in the Halloween capital of the world......Salem, MA. Anyways......I got things rolling with a movie that was waiting for me in the mail box.

The Barn

[​IMG]

I really REALLY enjoyed this. Virtually every single shot had Halloween oozing out of it. It's been done before, for better or worse, but this is without a doubt one that hit it out of the park.

Very excited to find a new addition to my annual Halloween time viewing. Probably going to watch again closer to Halloween if not on the 31st.