The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

missed last years marathon due to extreme work commitments. looking to cram as much time watching classics and trying to find new favorites.

1. The Mummys Hand (1940)
    First time viewing. Recently got the blu-ray boxset for the universal mummy films and had only seen the original so i was looking forward to filling in the gaps. Very different tone from the first film as this was more of a comedy adventure. Enjoyable in its on right but not a patch on the original. 3/5

2. The Mummys Tomb (1942)
    First time viewing. Sequel to the first film , i felt the characters of Stephen Banning and Babe Hanson were great in the previous film and underused here which meant the humour was lacking from the previous film. it felt more like a frankenstein film set in America with villagers chasing the mummy with torches. 2.5/5

3. The Mummys Ghost (1944)
    First time viewing. This is a definitely better movie than the previous one. Similar plot to the other two with the high preist sent back to bring back anankas body and then falling in love with the leading lady but does not tie things up in a neat bow with the hero failing to save the heroine. Not often Films from this period ends this way which made it more enjoyable for me. 3.5/5

4. The Houses That October Built 2 (2017)
    First time viewing. Really enjoyed the first film and was looking forward to this sequel to see where they were going to take the story. To me this was just a cash in on the success on the first film and would have been better if they focused on a new set of characters and their run in with blue skeleton, instead of retconning the ending of the first film to fit the same characters in the same situation. Everybody was talking about needing money during the movie but they could still afford to drive an RV around America and buy drones for filming , which leads to a twist that did not make any sense . Best Just to watch the first film as a stand alone film and stay away from this. 1.5/5

Rocker10, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

I tend to be pretty strict through the year. Very few horror movies, then OD on it in October. Was glad to finally get started. Lots of titles that may be familiar to a lot of you, but first time viewing for me. And of course quite a few of these were bought based on discussions here in the forums. I tend to come in and read posts daily but don't interact as much as I do in October. Anyway, here we go!

Day 1

1. Dead of Winter (1987) Blu- Had not seen this one. Am a fan of Roddy McDowel. Thought the movie was decent and did enjoy the story.

2. Black Christmas (1974) Blu- Honestly, until it was announced and I read the discussions here, I was unfamiliar with this one. After viewing, I quite enjoyed this one. Solid 70's style stuff and Margot Kidder does a great job in her role. I did view the updated replacement disc and thought that it looked decent. I guess the source material was rough. but no complaints in the final fixed version. Would definitely catch this again.

3. Voodoo Island (1957) DVD- A favorite of mine as a kid. It helps to be a big fan of Karloff. This may not be one of his stronger films, but I always liked the feel of this movie. I viewed the MGM double feature with Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, although I didn't watch Drake. Have the recent Blu and will catch that one in the better format. I would love to have an upgraded Blu of Voodoo Island. Maybe in time, who knows...

I may not hit the numbers I usually hit on these marathons as work has been much more hectic in recent months, but we'll see how it goes.

~Rocker10

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #1:
    House of Wax (2005)
    First time viewing (DVD)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    1. COMING IN HOT: Cleanse the palate with scenes engulfed in flames. Carrie prom? Too easy, it’s a challenge y’all.

Picked this cause I new it had a wax house burning down and I'm gonna watch the original later in the month. I definitely shouldn't have skipped this back in the day, guess I was just sick of remakes and Paris Hilton. It isn't any great shakes, but it's one of the more enjoyable modern slashers that I've seen.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/1/17

SALEM'S LOT (1979)

[​IMG]

Have been meaning to open this Blu-ray & wanted to do a Tobe Hooper tribute double feature. Only had time for one film today, but managed to fit in the longer flick I had in mind. Had only seen this on DVD previously. The Blu-ray from Warner is cheap & represents a nice upgrade. Barlow is sure one scary badass vampire!

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Finished the 1st off with the first Omen follow up. An enjoyable sequel that upped the gore and deaths.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 01 Continued:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) XX (2017): None of the stories in this anthology exactly blew me away, instead most of them left me wanting more, and one was there just in service of a punchline at the end, but they were all engaging on some level. The best part of the movie was the interstitial scenes connecting the stories. The visuals were pretty creepy and felt Quay-esque. Probably the weakest section story-wise, "Don't Fall" ended up being my favourite because of it's straight forward horror-ness and because of my love of its subject matter....I really loved the monster's face.

3) The Devil's Candy (2015): Not quite enough meat on the bone for me to actually love (LOVE!!!) this movie but I liked the family enough to be on the edge of my seat when they were in danger and was cheering for them to escape. Loved the music, the paintings, and of course Pruitt Taylor Vince is once again a creepy dude because he does it so well. I'm not quite sure what was missing, but their was something. Maybe it felt a little rushed in the middle when they were setting up what Pruitt Taylor Vince 's character was actually doing/about?

4) Havenhurst (2016): An odd mix of The Collection (2012), Tobe Hooper's Toolbox Murders (2004), and featuring a killer that looks like a reject from a Mad Max movie...but a lot less fun that any of the movies I just mentioned. Not enough gore to be gross, not enough weird to be weird, and really the concept of a place full of secret passages and clockwork traps seems interesting, but they are all used a little too sparingly to really add anything to the movie. But it's a cool old building and there does manage to be some decent atmosphere.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I was reading an old horror video guide called Terror on Tape while on the can and saw Son of Dracula, Frankenstein, Godzilla and Kong listed and thought "hey, that might be a fun theme to start my October viewing with". I'd already seen Son of Frankenstein, so I subbed in a very poor quality copy of Son of Dr. Jekyll that I found on Dailymotion. For some reason it never had a DVD or even VHS release. It's a pretty good movie, not sure why it's so obscure.

October 1st
    Son of Dracula - I love that Lon didn't even attempt any kind of accent despite the character being Hungarian. Apparently the first movie to actually show the bat-to-man transformation of a vampire.
    Son of Godzilla
    Son of Kong
    Son of Dr. Jekyll

hulkyduck, Erick H., Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  8. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 1st: The Hitcher, The Hitcher (2007), Joy Ride, Fender Bender, Mirage

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Because of fattyjoe37's post on the other page I too decided to give the Scarecrow Video's Psychotronic Challenge a go this year as part of my annual October Madness. So while I'll be trying to cram in as much horror as I can this October, at least one movie a day will be attributed to that daily challenge. And so it begins with yesterday's viewings (all images taken by me as I watch the movies, originally posted on my Instagram account):

1st - October Madness No.1 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 1 - COMING IN HOT: Cleanse the palate with scenes engulfed in flames. Carrie prom? Too easy, it’s a challenge y’all.

[​IMG]

Mark of the Devil (1969) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    A classic British-German nasty that manages to be both shocking and gruesome in its exploitation of the witch trials while being surprisingly well-made and thought provoking.

1st - October Madness No.2

[​IMG]

The Company of Wolves (1984) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5
    Neil Jordan's take on the fairy tale of Little Red Riding Hood is a sexually charged journey into men preying on women that I've always felt is a bit sloppy in its structure and storytelling, but still presents an interesting take seldom seen in the werewolf genre.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  10. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 2ND: Fright Night, Innocent Blood, Near Dark, Vamp, Subspecies, Graveyard Shift

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 2nd-

Tonight it's an Omen double feature. The 3rd one, probably my favorite of the series. And the cheese ball made for TV fourth film.

Colin, othervoice1, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 1st - Son of Dracula (1943)
    I love Lon Chaney Jr especially as the Wolf Man - but he wasn't all that great as a vampire. Still a decent flick with great atmosphere 3/5
    Oct 2nd - Phantasm 3 Lord of the Dead (1994)
    Gets pretty silly and a step down from part 2 - but still enjoyed it 2.5/5

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I won't be able to fully partake until later in the month, as I'm currently on the road and won't have much time for movie watching, but in the meantime I was able to see:

October 1st:

Ghosted "Pilot" (TV) - Love Craig Robinson and was hoping this would be really fun, but have to say I was underwhelmed. It didn't leave much of an impression, and I honestly can't say I remember much about it at all. It's only the first episode though, so hard to judge.

October 2nd:

Flatliners (2017) (theater) - I thought it was harmless fluff, the reviews have been needlessly harsh on this one. As long as you don't mind Sony's PG-13 teen horror fare like The Covenant, The Stepfather, Prom Night, The Roommate, (not Sony, but the recent Wish Upon), etc, then you probably won't mind it. It's exactly what the trailer looks like.

hulkyduck, indrid13, Colin and 2 others like this.
  14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 02:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

05) The Killer Barbys (1996): Black comedy, weird decorations, a lot of nudity, a creepy old castle, a nonsensical story about a monk waiting to do something to somebody (I really have no idea!), bodies hanging from the ceiling dripping blood, a punk rawkin' soundtrack, people doing things then doing other things and then doing something else...and none of those things are scary or even needed for the plot, but it's all shot through a nightmarish haze with off-putting camera angles and I enjoyed it even though it's definitely more style over any sort of substance.

06) Daughter of Dracula (1972): Part police procedural but mostly erotic vampire movie. Neither of which is particularly interesting or well done. Mainly this is watchable thanks to the beautiful Euro Ladies and their constant state of undress and some pretty locations. It's kind of like a cheap Hammer vampire flick mixed with a less smutty Female Vampire.

07) Virgin Witch (1972): Slowly paced, sleazy but in a proper way, lacking any passion. The characters discuss being witches in a very dry manner, "Oh by the way, we are witches, how do you feel about that?". Lots of nudity but pretty blandly shot. Things pick up a bit when the sister joins the coven and decides she wants to take over. Some fun voodoo-y rituals happen and the sacrifices get a little more orgiastic. So it's not without it's charms.

08) The Sect (1991): Odd, odd movie involving satanic cults and the woman they're after for nefarious purposes. Interesting visuals, including a bunny watching TV and using the remote to change channels, and a stork having sex with a woman while pecking worms out of her neck. It's pretty messed up, really imaginative, shot with gobs of style, and it rarely makes any sense.

09) The Vampires' Night Orgy (1974): A bit of a slow burn about travelers stuck in a village full of vampires after their bus driver suddenly dies. There's some fun cannibalism scenes, the vampires are somewhat creepy (with a goofy edge), and the locations are perfect for this type of story. I love the ending escape attempt by the survivors with hordes of vampires chasing them.

10) The Legacy (1978): A little too much time spent on the couple trying to escape and not enough on the legacy killings/mystery but it starts to get really good towards the end when we find out exactly what is happening. There's some fun, bloody kills as well.

15. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

[​IMG]

First time viewing. I was absolutely blown away. I don't know how I missed this anthology before....but I fucking loved it. I really was expecting more of a light hearted fare, but holy fuck.....that first story is no joke. Brutal, and down right creepy. All 4 stories were really good, great practical fx....my least favorite was probably the last one from the civil war but even that segment had its moments. Overall just had a really good time.

Also went and saw Victor Crowley. Great day indeed.

hulkyduck, indrid13, Colin and 6 others like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Don't miss the Return To Oldfield documentary on Scream Factory's blu-ray. It's terrific!

17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #2:
    Inside (2007)
    Rewatch (Unrated DVD)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    2. LADY'S CHOICE: A murderess on the hunt.

This was my favorite of the mid-2000s French extreme films when I watched it a decade ago. Haven't seen it since, but after tonight's rewatch I'd say it still holds the title for me. Atmospheric, unrelenting, and oh so bleak. I don't want every movie experience to be like this, but I respect the hell out of ones that can pull it off. Still think the CGI baby is silly though. Had completely forgotten about the ridiculous dream sequence featuring that thing, almost knocked off a half star by itself.

18. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 2

Just a couple as it was a bit of a busy day today. Decided to crack open the Mummy Legacy Blu set.

4. The Mummy (1932) Blu- Good classic stuff. Happy with the quality of these legacy blu sets.

5. The Mummy's Hand (1940) Blu- Liked this one as well although I'm sure I've seen all of these before, just been a bit. Movie once again looks great.

Hopefully time for more tomorrow!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Got a jump on the October viewing with a theatrical screening of SUSPIRIA in it's new 4K release on Sept. 29th.Stunning !

FRANKENSTEIN (1931) Svengoolie
    BARON BLOOD (1972:European cut)YouTube
    THE WOLF MAN (1941) Svengoolie
    EYEBALL (1975,aka RED CAT IN A GLASS MAZE)YouTube
    THE LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES (1974)YouTube
    HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM (1959) YouTube
    RITUALS (1977,aka THE CREEPER) YouTube
    SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYE (1973) YouTube
    NIGHTMARE CITY (1980)YouTube
    PREMATURE BURIAL (1962) YouTube
    THE MASK (1961)DVD rip in anaglyph 3-D
    NIGHT EYES (1982 aka DEADLY EYES aka THE RATS) Blu Ray rip
    DEATH DORM (1981 aka THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD aka PRANKS) Blu Ray rip
    A BAY OF BLOOD (1971,aka TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE ETC.)YouTube
    BLOOD AND BLACK LACE (1964)YouTube

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM
  20. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Halloween (1978) BD
    Halloween II (1981) BD
    Halloween H20 BD

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Once again kicking off the Halloween season with these three films. I love the flow of watching these back to back. It also helps me really get into the Halloween swing of things.