The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 25th:

Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988) (blu-ray) - What I like so much about this slasher sequel is apparently what most people don't like about slasher sequels. They want mythology, backstory, PTSD, outer space. I want the same, but different. In other words, I want Michael Myers terrorizing the teenagers of Haddonfield. That's it. I'm easy like that. And Halloween 4 is the best sequel for that. It's basically the late '80s slasher remake of the original. There are several superfluous teenage characters that could have easily been written into the victim pile (Wade, Lindsay, etc), but that aside, this is exactly what I want out of my slasher movie sequels. Love it.

H5.JPG

Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989) (blu-ray) - Some day you're going to meet a horror movie sequel that makes you feel like your heart is made out of neon, and Halloween 5 is that sequel. It may be a bit on the sloppy side, but boy is it FUN! The entire Tower Farm sequence is a standout, and maybe my favorite bit of the entire franchise. Plus, it has Tina, and I LOVE TINA! Maybe my favorite character in the history of cinema. The chemistry between her and Jamie, they feel like sisters. Halloween 5 never fails to leave me grinning from ear to ear.

Slasher: Guilty Party "Drone" & "Dawn Of The Dead" & "The Past Is Never Dead" (NetFlix) - Finished out the season. Unlike the first season, I think this one stuck the landing and never went off the rails (though suspension of disbelief is required). I left satisfied, and I hope NetFlix allows for a third season. Slasher fans should really love it, but I have to say it's more for the Harper's Island audience than the Scream / Scream Queens teen crowd. Also a major improvement over the first season.

October 26th:

Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers Theatrical Cut (1995) (blu-ray) - I almost skipped this one this year, but at the last minute decided why not? I'm glad I did. It's pretty messy and feels straight-to-video, but there's a lot of really fun stuff in it. Specifically everything around the Myers house. I kind of love the grungy rock cover of the Myers score. I watched the Producer's Cut back when Scream's boxset was first released and really enjoyed it, but I always go back to the theatrical cut. Why? Kind of embarassing... but I love music moments in movies and the Producer's Cut is missing the corny '90s grunge hit "And Fools Shine On" by Brother Cane, which plays during the college scene and the end credits. Maybe next year I'll go back to the Producer's Cut?

H20.JPG

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) (blu-ray) - I sort of hate that the new Halloween sequel will be disregarding H20, because it completely disregards what a big deal this movie was at the time. And it was a big deal. But I guess their gimmick is bringing Jamie Lee back, and H20 and Resurrection kind of wrote them into a corner in those regards. They've gotta do what they've gotta do I guess. I really dig this sequel, it's a great balance of giving the fans more of the Jamie Lee story and delivering the post-Scream slasher thrills that were so popular at the time. I'll probably skip Resurrection this year, so for this October I'll consider it the end of the original Michael Myers storyline.

[​IMG]

Varsity Blood (2014) (DVD) - A group of jocks and cheerleaders with a dark secret face off against a killer dressed as their high school mascot at a remote farm party on Halloween night. I'm biased because the filmmaker is a friend, but I really love this movie. It can be pretty corny, but it's just breezy teen slasher fun with a great Halloween atmosphere. The first half is a lot of snarky teen antics, but once the killer makes their presence known, the second half is basically one long chase scene as the rather large cast of teens is picked off. It's perfect October fun for fans of the post-Scream slashers.

October 27th:

American Horror Story: Cult "Winter Of Our Discontent" (DVR) - While this season has prominently featured the babysitting houses from Halloween, this episode introduced another horror movie locale as the Judgement House. It's known as the Woodbury-Story House, and horror fans might recognize it from the "10/31/98" segment of V/H/S, as well as several Asylum films. Interiors were also used in The Unseen and Amityville: The Evil Escapes. As for the episode... more of the same. The next episode airs on Halloween night, so this will probably be my last episode for this year's October Movie Watching thread.

STRANGER.JPG

Stranger Things 2 "Chapter One: MADMAX" (NetFlix) - I'm in the minority that thought the first season of Stranger Things was highly overrated, but I was really into this season premiere. The fans should dig it. Perfectly timed, as it takes place 10/28/84 - 10/30/84. Loving the Halloween atmosphere, and the next episode should be even more Halloween-ish than this one.

Previous entries:
    The Middle "Halloween VIII: Orson Murder Mystery"
    The Walking Dead "Mercy"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Out Of The Frying Pan"
    Halloween II (1981)
    Halloween (1978)
    Creep 2 (2017)
    The Hollow (2004)
    WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    Stickman (2017)
    Tickled (2016)
    A Woman's Torment (1977)
    Cult Of Chucky (2017)
    The Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII"
    The Simpsons "Halloween Of Horror"
    The Haunting Of Sarah Hardy (1989)
    The Watcher In The Woods (2017)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Night Of Hunters"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Valerie Solanas Died For Your Sins: Scumbag"
    Demon Wind (1990)
    1922 (2017)
    Truth Or Dare (2017)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Saint Sebastian"
    Victor Crowley (2017)
    House Of The Witch (2017)
    Lurkers (1988)
    Prime Evil (1988)
    American Horror Story: Cult "Mid-Western Assassin"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Holes"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Between Good And Evil"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Six Feet Under"
    Hatchet III (2013)
    The Corpse Grinders (1971)
    Neverknock (2017)
    Blood Beat (1983)
    Bunk'd "Camp Kiki-slasher"
    Bunk'd "Bride And Doom"
    The Sandman (2017)
    Amsterdamned (1988)
    Hatchet II (2010)
    Hatchet (2006)
    The Black Room
    (2017)
    American Horror Story: Cult "11/9"
    The Babysitter
    (2017)
    Better Watch Out
    (2016)
    Don't Kill It (2016)
    Friday The 13th (1980)
    Happy Death Day (2017)
    Gerald's Game (2017)
    Trip With The Teacher (1975)
    Aberration (2007)
    Flatliners (2017)
    Ghosted "Pilot"

Workshed, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/26/17

THE INTRUDER (1975)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mickey Rooney (Silent Night, Deadly Night 5: The Toy Maker) pilots a group of people via yacht to a secluded mansion on an island off the coast of South Florida. Not a sightseeing excursion, these visitors arrive for the reading of a will. Of course their host Mr. Peterson is nowhere to be found with just a skeleton crew of hired help present. Each guest receives a personalized letter as all have some sort of connection to the deceased, whose plane crashed in Colombia. No one seems to be in mourning with some characters unable to hide their insincerity such as DePriest (Yvonne De Carlo: The Munsters, The Silent Scream) in menopausal bitch mode. Reardon (Chris Robinson: Everglades snake horror film Stanley) appears to be the only one with some semblance of conscience. Turns out that the personal assets of Old Man Axel have since been converted to gold which is very possibly hidden somewhere on the island. As the heirs settle in, someone or something begins killing them off one at a time with sudden storms crashing in to keep everyone on edge.

The Intruder was by all accounts a lost film that never even had a theatrical release despite the participation of some established Hollywood stars. Garagehouse Pictures rescued this one from obscurity about 5 years ago at a storage facility on the outskirts of the Mohave Desert. Having discovered the only film print in existence, the materials were victims of considerable neglect. The restoration is quite impressive with all of the factors involved.

Writer, director, & star Chris Robinson discusses how his brother-in-law gave him $25,000.00 to make a film. It was November & he wanted to use this as a tax write-off before the year ended. Robinson took him up on the challenge & accomplished the goal. The Intruder is a modest film that functions as a proto-slasher retelling of Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians. At times I was also reminded of Mario Bava's Twitch of the Death Nerve & Five Dolls for an August Moon. The Intruder does not come close to either Bava film. Most of the murders occur offscreen. More often than not, all we get is the aftermath. Keeping in mind the tiny budget, the casting of Rooney, De Carlo, and Ted Cassidy (Lurch from The Addams Family, Sasquatch from some of the Six Million Dollar Man episodes) bring some face credibility to the proceedings. Another person you can't miss is Warren Siciliano. During the commentary, Robinson tells us that this guy was a tenth degree red belt in Karate. Totally unassuming - this hairy dude with a huge moustache, loud sense of fashion, dark glasses looks more like a well fed mobster than anything else. All of sudden a scene arises in which he defends himself using Karate. The fight goes on a bit, whether you laugh or simply raise an eyebrow...it's your call. The creepy electronic score is pretty great mood music, painting the island with dread.

Garagehouse recovered a bunch of other lost 35mm films during this trip to California. Can't help but wonder what else will be surfacing...

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, this one gets a lot of rave reviews and I found it bloated as well. Very typical of current Korean cinema, where every film needs to be 2 1/2 hours long, even if there's 90 minutes of inspiration. And with The Wailing, "90 minutes of inspiration" is being generous. I did like The Chaser though, even if
    the intended rescue is futile

This one I enjoyed more than your rating, but I agree that it's nothing new. Still it's done right, and that's worth something.

4. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 27
    [​IMG]
    Creepshow 2 ~ 1987

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 26 - Jennifer's Body (2009)
    It definitely has its moments and some wit - but in the end falls a bit flat. Megan Fox is smokin and Amanda Seyfried is great. Overall I enjoy it.
    3/5
    Oct 27 - Motel Hell (1980)
    This is a movie I really enjoy- probably my 4th or 5th time watching it. Funny, twisted and fairly unique. Acting overall is actually pretty solid and Nina Axelrod is easy on the eyes. Even has Cliff from Cheers in a role which is kinda funny in itself.
    4/5

Workshed, hulkyduck, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 23:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

74) The Slayer (1982): The score is a little overbearing at points but otherwise this is a lovely, extreme slow burn of a slasher on a lonely island, with a woman who seems to be having premonitions of the killer. Or maybe she's just crazy. The kills are bloody but sporadic and the ending just drips with tension. Gotta say that the killer reveal is absolutely awesome, if a little too short.

75) Shocker (1989): I guess Wes Craven was trying to create another horror franchise with another killer that though doesn't have the exact same powers as Fred Kruger, does do a lot of similar things. I'm pretty sure if you've seen ANOES and then watch this without knowing who made it, you'd figure out it was Wes Craven. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The build up for the movie is pretty awesome. Horace Pinker could have been a horror icon, well to me he is, but he's evil, brutal, and has some badly amazing one-liners. The idea of Peter Berg's character's connection with Pinker through his dreams is interesting and once Pinker gets his powers and the body jumping begins...well I love body jumping. So this movie is all good.....then they introduce the necklace of power and love story from beyond the grave and seem to make up rules as they need them to keep the story moving along, even though it makes no sense. But there's also a chase scene through channels on TV to Dangerous Toys' "Demon Bell" so that makes up for a lot of the "HUH???" going on. Then there's the ending and...let's say it probably put the final nail in the coffin for any chance of this becoming a franchise. It was just mind mindbogglingly dumb. But whatever. The soundtrack is awesome!! It was/is one of my most listened to soundtracks of all time and the movie is pretty amazing for about 90% of it's runtime. So I still love this movie in spite of it's many drawbacks. I've had the poster for this on my various walls since I bought it back in the late 80's/early 90's.

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 24:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

76) Dr. Giggles (1992): First off, I was a big fan of the show Picket Fences when it was on and had a HUGE crush on Holly Marie Combs. So to be honest, the main reason I watched this movie all those years ago was for her. But once I watched it, I was a Dr. Giggles fan forever! I mean the man apparently carries around a giant Band Aid! How can you not love that?

77) The Blob (1988): Yeah it's one of those rare remakes that are...better than the original (50's Blob is great too though). The practical melted people are so gooey looking and everyone dies in such horrific ways. And no one is safe! Anyone can die! Chock full o' gelatinous pink BLOB goodness that once it get started rolling the body count just won't stop. Love it!

78) Critters 2: The Main Course (1988): Silly and over-the-top in a mostly good way but missing the horror elements from the first. I don't get why they even needed the Space Bounty Hunters or Charlie (or Scott Grimes for that matter) back for the sequel though. Still L-O-V-E the Critter Ball and the baby critters are really kinda cute.

79) Critters 3: You Are What They Eat (1991): This one really does wimp out when it comes to the kills. I think there's only 2 in the entire movie. A wee bit of blood and of course Charlie shows up again to do absolutely nothing. But it's still fun enough with the Critters infesting an apartment building and really being the most Gremlins version of Critters so far in the series.

October 25:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

80) Critters 4 (1992): There's 2 Critters on board the space station versus 4-5 humans and they're running away from them? Just kill the little turkeys and be done with it! This one rips off from more that just Gremlins this time around, specifically scenes lifted from Star Wars and Aliens and the whole thing just looks so cheap. But a decent cast manages to semi save it from being unbearable and it has some good moments. Not many though.

81) Sleepaway Camp (1983): I've seen this before a few times but I tend to re-watch Parts II & III a lot more often, like at least twice a year, so I almost went into this as a first time watch. Minus the ending. I've never actually been able to see this movie without knowing the ending beforehand. Damn spoilers. I'd forgotten how trashy and sleazy this movie is. Especially considering that it's portraying a bunch of underage kids at camp. Probably the worst camp of all time! Makes you wonder what kind of camps the filmmakers went to when they were kids. This movie is all kinds of wrong. From the pedo rapist camp cook (who everyone laughs along with when he makes a "baldy" joke) to a counselor who is just mean to poor Angela for no real reason except she won't talk, to horrible hair styles and short shorts and an owner who's a bit of a perv himself. A lot of the kids are pretty awful too but they're mostly just kids being kids so we can excuse them for their pranks and insults. Oh yeah, and there's murders! Bloody, stingy, bubbling skinned, snake slithering out the mouth, murders!! Even the love stories go wrong. A wonderful camp. But it's pretty great for setting a slasher in and there's a nice body count to this one. And no one's safe. I just really wish I could actually have watched this one time without knowing where it goes.

82) The Descent (2005): "International Cut" So I love this movie. It's in my top 5 horrors of all time. But I also rarely watch it because I want each time to feel fresh, I never want to feel jaded. There has been enough time between viewings and I've been craving another one so I popped it in, gave a prayer to the god of horror that it would still hold up, and pressed play. Terror, sadness, bad ass-ness, me covering my eyes, me getting angry, me cheering, me tearing up a bit, me jumping straight up outta my chair, me feeling extremely claustrophobic, me feeling annoyed that there's some people who've only seen the North American ending (A CRIME I TELLS YEAH!!!) and me feeling all sad but happy but sad that the movie is over. This movie puts me through the ringer and I love that it does!

83) The Pit (1981): I forgot that the kid disappears for the last half hour or so and it just turns into a monster movie. It's a little jarring going to that from the creepy, murderous kid story that is the rest of the movie.

84) Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers (1988): Angela is back at camp, as a camp counselor and she's on the prowl for anyone who does drugs, has sex, shows their boobs or swears too much. It's a slasher comedy with a ton of fun kills and one-liners. Not to mention an awesome soundtrack.

85) Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (1989): Might be even sillier this time around but with the same fun jokes and kills. Pamela Springsteen carries this movie totally on her back and she's up for the challenge.

8. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 26th-

With all the talk around here of Prom Night 2, I had to throw it in last night. Forgot how crazy the film is. After I watched part 3, which is lots of fun. It's a shame they didn't make more films with Mary Lou. She was a fun horror villain. Both films felt like A Nightmare on Elm Street meets Degrassi. Damn. That would be a great cross over. I do like the fourth Prom Night a lot though. It's a back to basics slasher.

Workshed, hulkyduck, CPT HOOK and 5 others like this.
  9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Hilarious to see John Ratzenberger (Cliff) as a travelling musician.

[​IMG]

11. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 27

110. The Black Cat (1981) Stream- Enjoyed this one. It took some work as the stream was foreign language with English subtitles. Got through it and thought it was well done. Fulci and his cats...

111. Don't Torture a Duckling (1972) Blu- First time watch. Interesting movie with a story that keeps you interested. By default the disc went foreign language which is probably the better way to watch, but I just didn't want to have to read subtitles for the entirety of the movie again. Much more interesting than I originally thought it would be.

112. Halloween (1979) Blu- Well, I hadn't entered the big franchises to this point, but figured I needed to get this movie in as it is fairly traditional to me. What else can be said? A definite classic.

113. Halloween II (1981) Blu- Great sequel that I like almost as much as the first movie. Another traditional watch for me.

114. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) Blu- Like others have mentioned in this thread, this is actually a pretty decent flick. The fact that it had the Halloween named hurt it, but on its own merits, it's very watchable and that goes for repeat viewings. Was in the mood, so it got watched tonight.

115. The Stendahl Syndrome (1996) Blu- Been catching lots of Italian stuff all week and have to say I've turned into a pretty big fan. This movie was pretty decent. I thought I had it figured out, then thought I didn't, but in the end was right all along. Enjoyable 2 hours!

~Rocker10

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/27/17

WARLOCK MOON (1973)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After her psychology class ends, college student Jenny (Laurie Walters: Eight is Enough) gets picked up by eccentric reporter John (Joe Spano: Hill Street Blues, NCIS) who asks her to go on an afternoon picnic while doing all kinds of asinine accents. Perhaps she was caught up on homework or just seeking adventure in the swinging 70's? Jenny accepts & proceeds to get lost while this new man drives them in his convertible. Together they discover the Silver Springs Spa - a sprawling health resort which as it turns out has been closed down for decades. Believing the property to be abandoned, the pair explore around only to find an elderly woman named Agnes (Edna MacAfee) living in one of the buildings. The old lady makes them tea & takes them on a guided tour going over some of the history.

Several days later, John hits up Jenny for another get together. The catch is that they return to the Silver Springs Spa. The editor of his newspaper suggested that John work on a feature covering this historical artifact. Jenny agrees again. Dismissing some old tales of murder & cannibalism as mere urban legends, both of them stick around for the night. An apparition in a white gown manifests intermittently in addition to a disembodied voice calling out. Impossible to forget the sightings of two grubby axmen too while we're at it. Are these entities really there, is Jenny crazy, or is everybody stoned?

Warlock Moon not only has a cool title, but is also a good example of regional exploitation independent filmmaking. The entire picture was shot in the San Francisco Bay Area, mostly in the East Bay. UC Berkeley served as the college campus. The old spa was shot in Livermore at a former sanatorium used to treat tuberculosis. The location works extremely well as the full extent of the property has very much a haunted house feel. Both Walters & Spano would later find great success in television. There's no denying that this is a grindhouse film all the way.

I watched this film pretty late. Certainly feels like midnight movie material. The film continues as the end credits are rolling with a freaky twist ending. Warlock Moon will probably be too "out there" for many viewers. I enjoyed this one a lot in my first viewing. It won't be the last time I watch it. This Blu-ray release from Code Red features separate interviews with the two leads as well as a commentary track which they do together. A slightly longer television edition is also on the disc. I watched the theatrical cut.

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I found Chaser worth watching, which is more than I can say for The Wailing, so I'll give it that. I'm not sure the disk will survive my next purge, though it just might get a rewatch first before a decision is made. But I do remember the hype comparing the quality to Memories of Murder and Old Boy - its not even close to those two epics.

Darling I came close to giving another half star rating, because it was indeed done well. Not great, but well. There is definitely potential in those involved, and it is work worth recognition.

But usually for me to crack that three out of four rating or above, it has to be standout quality, decidely original, or something I see myself rewatching someday. I just don't see myself rewatching Darling, precisely because it doesn't bring anything new to the table that a rewatch of other films wouldn't scratch the itch better.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 27th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

67) Trick r Treat

68) Creepshow

15. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

[​IMG]

Night of the Demons 2. One of my favorite Halloween movies. Seeing it on blu ray for the first time after years of watching it on vhs.....it was like a whole new movie to me. One of the best from the 90s if you ask me.

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 27-

Settled in with some Irving Wallace after work last night.

Rocker10, maskull, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Cool poster!

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  18. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

41. The Fog(1980)
    This has been an October watch for me for as far back as i can remember. Everything for me works in this film , the opening ghost story with John Houseman sets the tone perfectly and the music helps make this one of the spookiest atmospheres i've seen on film, nothing bad to say. 5/5

42. Suspiria (1977)

The film that started off my love for Italian horror films , was going to wait for the 4k restoration Blu-ray coming soon to watch this again but would not feel like Halloween without giving this a spin. 5/5

Rocker10, maskull, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Two timeless classics! My month long horror marathon began with watching the 4K remastered Suspiria in one of our local movie theaters. Flawless presentation.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 28 -
    Full Moon of the Virgins aka The Devil's Wedding Night (1973)
    I was actually surprised how good this was considering I had never heard of it before. Seemed like a low end Hammer Horror film of the 70s. Great setting and decent acting along with the beautiful Rosalba Neri (who I knew I recognized from somewhere - she was in Lady Frankenstein). A little out there in some scenes but overall quite enjoyable.
    3/5