The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

[​IMG]

Jeepers Creepers

All time classic. Watched it for the first time on blu ray......looks phenomenal.

2. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 28

116. Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971) Blu- First time watch. Just got this one a day or two ago. Liked this movie as I have most of Argento's others. I liked how they mention that he intended for it to be watched in the dark. I watched it with that in mind and wasn't really sure how it would be further enhanced, but cool movie nonetheless.

117. The Conjuring 2 (2016) Blu- First time for this one as well. I think I enjoyed this one even more then the first movie. Liked the Amityville part at the start and thought the story was really creepy and interesting.

118. Night of the Comet (1984) Blu- Always liked this movie and have seen it many times. Good 80's vibe throughout.

119. Jeepers Creepers (2001) Blu- Another movie I tend to go back to. Just a great flick.

Almost to the point where I finished last year. Starting to hit the wall. I'm usually really excited to get rolling and by the end of the month, ready for a break. I think I need to space things better through the year. I tend to get these movies all year long and hold off until October, then completely o.d. on them. May change my outlook a little for the next year. It's definitely a fun ride though and still will be watching through Halloween!

~Rocker10

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 27th:

[​IMG]

Jigsaw (2017) (IMAX) - Thoroughly enjoyed this return of the Saw franchise and I hope there's more to come. It successfully reboots the franchise, ditching the convoluted plot lines of its predecessors and pretty much starting from scratch. Between this and Happy Death Day, 2017 is the return of the theatrical slasher film and I couldn't be more excited about it!

MAY.JPG

May (2002) (DVD) - I was in high school when this movie was released and I didn't really get it at the time. In fact, I remember thinking it was boring. As I've gotten older, I've grown to love it and all the little nuances that make it something special. It's darkly funny and deeply personal. Ebert even gave it 4 stars!

NOEND2.JPG

Channel Zero: No-End House "This Isn't Real" & "Nice Neighborhood" & "Beware The Cannibals" & "The Exit" (DVR) - Even though I appreciate that this series isn't afraid to get weird, there's something about it that just doesn't click with me and I can't quite put my finger on it. I had the same problem with season one. I don't find the characters especially interesting, even though all the ingredients are there to make rich fleshed-out characters. I also think it's very calm and quiet, almost to the point of lulling you to sleep. It doesn't help that everyone speaks in monotone. It's sort of like the story about how John Carpenter first screened Halloween without music and everyone thought it was a bore. They should really beef up the sound design a bit.

Although having just finished Slasher: Guilty Party, it's interesting to see the actor who played Wren in this series as well. The guy must be busy, as both series premiered this October.

October 28th:

STRANGER.JPG

Stranger Things 2 "Chapter Two: Trick Or Treat, Freak" & "Chapter Three: The Pollywog" (NetFlix) - Season two still has me hooked, and so far it's better than the first season in every conceivable way. Although it could just be because it's set around Halloween, and if you litter your movie / TV show with jack-o-lanterns and autumn leaves, odds are I'm going to love it. I'm easy like that. But now that Halloween is out of the way on the show, let's see if it still keeps me engaged...

HALLOWEEN.JPG

Halloween (2007) (blu-ray) - I know a lot of people hate Zombieween, and I get it. I kind of hate the first hour myself. But I do really like the second hour with adult Michael stalking the girls. I think it's quite effective and intense, maybe even the most frightening Michael Myers has ever been. Obviously, it doesn't even come close to the original, but I like that Rob Zombie made it his own instead of trying to imitate Carpenter. Love it or hate it, this is truly Rob Zombie's Halloween. But man, is that first hour tough to sit through. Young Michael Myers' performance is one of the worst ever committed to film, and I can do without watching Ken Foree take a shit. Chop off the first hour, and this might be a decent remake.

HELLBENT.JPG

Hellbent (2004) (DVD) - A scythe-wielding maniac in a devil costume stalks five gay men at the West Hollywood Halloween Carnival. This is a really fun and colorful little slasher film with an extremely likable group of main characters. It had been a few years since I'd seen it, and I wanted to revisit because it is set on Halloween. I'm glad I did, I think I liked it a lot more this time around.

Also, I'm not going to count it because I didn't actually watch it, but let's talk Halloweentown (1998). It was on Disney Channel this morning, so I DVRed it and skimmed through it. Why? Earlier this month while traveling the Pacific Northwest, I made a quick stop to St. Helens, Oregon where the movie was filmed. Every October, they deck the entire town out for Halloween, the way it was in the movie. Being that close to the town, I had to check it out for myself, and I LOVED IT! How cool of the town to embrace it! If you're ever in the vicinity, I would highly recommend stopping by. They even have maps in the town square detailing where the movie was filmed (also Twilight, which was also filmed there). The maps even mention that the City Hall was used as the high school where Leslie Vernon is scoping out potential "survivor girls" in Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon. How cool!

As for the movie itself... it's pretty terrible. I'd seen it before, which I why I chose to fast-forward through it. But having just visited St Helens and it being fresh in my mind, very cool to see the town on my TV screen.

Previous entries:
    Stranger Things 2 "Chapter One: MADMAX"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Winter Of Our Discontent"
    Varsity Blood (2014)
    Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers (1995)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "The Past Is Never Dead"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Dawn Of The Dead"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Drone"
    Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)
    Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988)
    The Middle "Halloween VIII: Orson Murder Mystery"
    The Walking Dead "Mercy"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Out Of The Frying Pan"
    Halloween II (1981)
    Halloween (1978)
    Creep 2 (2017)
    The Hollow (2004)
    WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    Stickman (2017)
    Tickled (2016)
    A Woman's Torment (1977)
    Cult Of Chucky (2017)
    The Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII"
    The Simpsons "Halloween Of Horror"
    The Haunting Of Sarah Hardy (1989)
    The Watcher In The Woods (2017)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Night Of Hunters"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Valerie Solanas Died For Your Sins: Scumbag"
    Demon Wind (1990)
    1922 (2017)
    Truth Or Dare (2017)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Saint Sebastian"
    Victor Crowley (2017)
    House Of The Witch (2017)
    Lurkers (1988)
    Prime Evil (1988)
    American Horror Story: Cult "Mid-Western Assassin"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Holes"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Between Good And Evil"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Six Feet Under"
    Hatchet III (2013)
    The Corpse Grinders (1971)
    Neverknock (2017)
    Blood Beat (1983)
    Bunk'd "Camp Kiki-slasher"
    Bunk'd "Bride And Doom"
    The Sandman (2017)
    Amsterdamned (1988)
    Hatchet II (2010)
    Hatchet (2006)
    The Black Room (2017)
    American Horror Story: Cult "11/9"
    The Babysitter (2017)
    Better Watch Out (2016)
    Don't Kill It (2016)
    Friday The 13th (1980)
    Happy Death Day (2017)
    Gerald's Game (2017)
    Trip With The Teacher (1975)
    Aberration (2007)
    Flatliners (2017)
    Ghosted "Pilot"

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.
  4. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 28TH:

untitled.png

Rocker10, indrid13 and othervoice1 like this.
  5. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 28th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

69) Night School

70) Don’t Torture a Duckling

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/28 Corpse Grinders

Given the materials available for restoration, this is one of VS's more impressive discs. The movie itself is pretty formulaic and intentionally campy. It is entertaining. And the actors seem to get what movie they were making.

This lives in the HG Lewis, Ed Wood realm but in all the best ways.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  7. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 28th-

Two films. Same house. Both a bloody good time.

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Somehow I ended up on the goofs page for Return of the Living Dead last night, so I thought since I haven't watched it this year I'd add it to the Halloween list and watch the movie for the 30th time specifically to look for the goofs.

It's my favorite movie and I love it to death, but there are a lot mistakes I've somehow never noticed. Seeing Allan Trautman's real teeth behind the Tarman mask teeth, camera with blinking red light in a car, doors changing colors, an extra hand holding down the yellow zombie, zombie lady puppeteer visible hiding under the embalming table, several others too. I mean, that puppeteer guy is right there, how did I miss him? I might have to post about it on my site with screenshots, I'll add them here to if I do it.

Flaws and all it's a tremendously entertaining movie I never tire of, and one that I quote constantly.

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/28/17

FREEDOM OF RELIGION DOUBLE FEATURE

THE CITY OF THE DEAD (a.k.a. HORROR HOTEL) (1960)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

University history professor Alan Driscoll (Christopher Lee: Hammer's Dracula series, The Wicker Man) is intensely passionate on the subject of witchcraft. The lectures tend to spill over from the classroom into his campus office, drawing a handful of students hopeful for a good grade. One especially earnest student Nan Barlow (Venetia Stevenson) has taken enough interest in the subject that she intends to do some field research for her senior paper while on vacation in the tiny town of Whitewood, Massachusetts. This is the precise location Driscoll elaborated upon in the course as a significant locale in the history of witchcraft. The professor helps Nan plan her trip by providing driving directions & recommending accommodations at a small inn run by Mrs. Newless (Patricia Jessel). Much to the disappointment of family & friends, Nan hits the road solo & fulfills the old adage "Careful what you wish for, you just might find it."

Released under the title Horror Hotel in America, The City of the Dead was an early production by Max Rosenberg (uncredited) & Milton Subotsky, co-founders of Amicus Film Productions. Amicus would later become best known for their frequent horror anthology films of the 60's & 70's such as The House That Dripped Blood, Asylum, and Tales from the Crypt among others. The City of the Dead is an efficiently made picture with some strong performances by screen icon Lee & the ever expressive Jessel. Genre fans should recogzine character actor Valentine Dyall from the original 1963 The Haunting as Mr. Dudley the caretaker. Here he is Jethro Keane, a man who factors into the dark underbelly of the town's past. Whitewood is a very well realized set with the fog machines running on full blast, a creepy old cemetery, and church desperate for parishioners presided over by the blind Reverend Russell (Norman Macowan).

The City of the Dead is a pretty brisk moving film clocking in at just under 80 minutes. Fans of classic horror & Christopher Lee in particular should find much to enjoy. Arrow Video did stellar work on this Blu-ray, rendering previous editions relatively obsolete.

THE DEVIL'S RAIN (1975)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In the high desert country of Arizona, the Preston Family has been persistently harassed by Satanic cult high priest Jonathan Corbis (Ernest Borgnine: The Wild Bunch, Willard) who is determined to get in his possession a centuries old book. The Prestons have kept this book well hidden for a great many years over generations as it wields incredible supernatural power. After the disappearance of his father, Mark Preston (William Shatner: Star Trek, Kingdom of the Spiders) takes a more active role in defending his family & attempts to get Corbis to leave them alone forever. Meeting Corbis & his minions in the scarcely visited ghost town of Redstone deep in the desert, Mark learns that accomplishing this feat will be no small task as their cult is nothing make believe.

The Devil's Rain is a truly unique production boasting a cast that includes in addition to Borgnine & Shatner: Ida Lupino (They Drive By Night, Food of the Gods), Eddie Albert (Green Acres, The Longest Yard), Tom Skerritt (Alien, Up in Smoke), Keenan Wynn (Dr. Strangelove, The Dark), and John Travolta (Pulp Fiction, Carrie). It's a false assumption that Shatner is the lead, as the film later switches gears other characters take the spotlight. Borgnine steals the show in my opinion, delivering his dialogue with conviction & benefitting at times from some elaborate makeup appliances. More than just a curious footnote, Anton Szandor LaVey (real life founder of the Church of Satan) was hired as a technical advisor. The production played up LaVey's participation for the purpose of publicity. His primary roles were script assistance (namely the cult member dialogue) & pretty much achieving authenticity with respect to the black mass rituals. It certainly works as these scenes are some of the best in the film & create an extremely dark atmosphere. The original poster proclaimed this to have "Absolutely the most incredible ending of any motion picture ever." While it's not all that, the finale takes the special effects off the rails as the souls of the damned are exposed in all of their colorful waxy glory.

Severin Films really hits one out of the park with this first rate Blu-ray presentation. Looking & sounding much better than my old Dark Sky DVD, this brand new release is pretty jam packed with fun & interesting supplements. You get everything from interviews with Skerritt (brand new), Shatner (vintage footage), members of the Satanic Church, special effects artist, and more. We get the impression that it was a pretty fun shoot in the high elevations of Durango, Mexico with all kinds of memorable anecdotes. In the words of one interviewee, it was "Spaghetti Western" country. Lots of information about LaVey's involvement, being a well behaved gentleman, & having a friendly bond with John Travolta. Great to have a label like Severin step up & give us a definitive release of this wild cult film!

10. Rocker10

Day 29

Home stretch...

120. The Innkeepers (2011) Stream- Saw the discussion in the thread for this title. Had never heard of it as I don't keep up with the more recent stuff as some of you do. I ended up watching it via Prime. I enjoyed it quite a bit, just not sure how I feel about the ending. Thinking about grabbing a blu and checking it out again down the road a bit and see how a second viewing goes. Another reason I pay attention to the discussions here.

121. Evil Ed (1995) Blu- This one hit me all wrong. Not sure what it was, but just didn't like it. It was a blind buy and probably shouldn't have been. I may revisit due to owning it. Maybe it was just my mood.

122. Creepshow (1982) Blu- Can never go wrong here. As I cut my teeth on horror, this was one I always went back to. Had not seen it in a bit, maybe since last year, but it was fun, especially the metoer story with Stephen King.

123. Creepshow 2 (1987) Blu- Another good show. I definitely like the first one better, but this one is pretty well done as well.

Ugh, back to work tomorrow. Vacations always go way to damn fast.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, maskull, Workshed and 5 others like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Make sure you watch the extras! It might make you appreciate the movie more.

I didn't like it when I rented it as a kid (but how could it ever live up to the gruesome axe-in-the-head VHS art?), but really enjoyed revisiting it on Arrow's blu-ray and the extras are terrific.

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  12. Rocker10

I'll do that. Maybe that will put a different spin on it the second time. Thanks for the tip!

~Rocker10

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Felt the same way when I rented it growing up. Was expecting a slasher film. Watching the Arrow blu-ray I really grew to like the film.

hulkyduck and maskull like this.
  14. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I consider the film to be a keeper in my collection. Having said that...

Many horror films (and dramas) heap misery on sympathetic people who do nothing wrong, then remorselessly end by finishing them. Several such are among those I regard highly - Drag Me to Hell, The Skeleton Key, Dark Water, Funny Games, Martyrs, just to name some off the top of my head.

But I must admit a level of "that's fucked up and cold-hearted" reaction to the end of The Innkeepers that initially detracted from my regard of it. It was like watching a human preying supernatural version of a Venus flytrap - just one dumb mistake at the very end and with no warning SNAP, done for. Soon after I reconsidered my rating, but I can definitely see (along with the movie's slow pace) why it wouldn't sit well with many viewers. Its not a movie that answers its questions, and certainly doesn't end on a high note.

15. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 29TH: Nosferatu, Hideshi Hino's Theatre of Horror: The Boy From Hell, Suspiria, Shake, Rattle & Roll 2

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 27th

Stranger Things 2: Episodes 1 & 2

[​IMG]

The kids are back and the show is as good as it ever was. Interesting to think about Will as an actual character this season, as opposed to a plot device; curious how they will use him. Great start, love the arcade as a setting...but what is with the new bully? It's like he stepped in from another show altogether. Bizarre choice and performance. Seems like this season will be more focused on Dustin and Lucas, wonder if that had anything to do with Finn Wolfhard (Mike)'s schedule with IT? Whatever the reason, I'm glad, as these two characters could use a bit more screentime.

Oct. 28th

Stranger Things 2: Episodes 3-5
    [​IMG]

Aw yeah, this season hits its stride in this cluster of episodes. Everything about the Halloween episode was glorious, from the costumes to the pollywog to the budding romantic triangle. All of it! Dustin is my new favorite character--the actor's timing is really strong--and I'm also becoming a big fan of Steve. In the case of the latter, it's really interesting to see the cool guy from last season get knocked down a bit--he's not the school stud anymore, his girlfriend may not love him--but that just makes a redemption arc all the more interesting.

What I don't love is how split up the core group is. Eleven has her own story, Dustin and Lucas are off on their chase for Max, Mike is regulated to running from house to house, yelling, and Will is just tortured. Hope for a return to the group, as their shared chemistry is where these kids really shine.

Sorry, but Sean Astin and Paul Reiser just feel like...Sean Astin and Paul Reiser. Like the new mullet-bully, they seem very out of place here.

Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015)

[​IMG]

Well. Look, I love Astron-6, and this very clearly was going for an Astron-6 vibe, but what both DBPM3 and Astron-6 seem to forget is that with really funny concepts like these, brevity is key. I cannot believe DBPM3 is over an hour and a half. I couldn't believe it 30 minutes in! And I kept checking how much time was left, which is not a good sign. Of course, it was rowdy and ridiculous, and there are plenty of catch phrases and goofy bro moments, and I liked all of those, but after a while, it just grew tiresome. Fun kills, fun all around, but simply too much of a good thing.

Critters (1986)
    [​IMG]

Even back in the 80s, when I first watched this, I knew it was bad-good territory, so I looked forward to recapturing that magic. Instead, I turned this off 30 minutes in. The father character was so creepily annoying regarding his daughter's romantic interests to the point of concern. "Who is this Steve? What happened to Charlie? What do we know about Steve? Have you met Steve? What I want to know is where is Charlie?" All this after a phone call to the house? And the actor played it so...possessively. It just gave off a very creepy vibe, unintentionally. I know it's a weird complaint, but when they all sat down to the dinner table, and the dad managed to steer the conversation BACK to his daughter's love life, I decided I'd had enough. Not how I want to spend my Saturday night. PASS. So I moved on to:

Halloween II (1981)
    [​IMG]

OK, OK, back to my safe place. I last watched this back in 2006(!), and loved it. I remembered it as a back-to-basics slasher, dropping all the arty pretense of the first. Welllllllll, this time around, I found it pretty pedestrian. I mean, the kills are fun, but the scalpel scene with the nurse is ridiculous from a physics standpoint. There's no way a scalpel could be used to lift up someone like that. And Michael uses the scalpel several times; wish he'd been able to use a more terrifying weapon. But the hot tub death is gruesome. Very few scares to be found here, and Laurie and Dr. Loomis play more like caricatures. Fun but not as memorable as the previous viewing.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 29th

Stranger Things: Episodes 6-9

[​IMG]

This was a very fine follow-up to the original season.

Wish Mike had had more screentime, but he did have most of S1 devoted to him, plus I bet scheduling got in the way of his availability here. Loved Dustin, Steve--who seemed a lot like Rudy from The Monster Squad this season--the level of suspense the filmmakers kept throughout nine episodes. Impressive!

Will save spoiler discussion for the official thread: http://horrordvds.com/community/thr...movie-watching-thread-part-2017.48368/page-22

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

15. House (Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977)

[​IMG]

The reputation for this film is certainly well-deserved. Unfortunately I had to watch it over the course of a few nights, so I'm sure it lacked a little bit of punch being spread out like that. But damn, is it nuts! So many amazing camera tricks and bizarre shit, there's something fascinating going on in every scene. Go Kung Fu!

16. Warlock III: The End of Innocence (Eric Freiser, 1999)

[​IMG]

Way to make Warlock: The Armageddon look good, Warlock III. What a waste of time. This film made me hate the 90's all over again. The awful music, the lumpy fashion (seriously! what's up with the Paddington bear hat, Ashley Laurence? And the blonde girl who stomps around in a slip and military boots? Come on! These are attractive people! Somebody must have worked pretty hard to make them look so unappealing). The story is barely enough to fill a low budget half hour tv show, let alone a 90 minute film. Nothing happens. It all takes place in a single drab, barely-furnished, uninteresting mansion. I feel bad for Ashley Laurence, but I feel even worse for Bruce Payne. His warlock character (such as it is) is the only thing that keeps this movie from drifting off into a complete coma. By sheer on-screen presence alone, since his character is as underwritten as the rest. He deserves so much better than this. What a shame.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  19. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 29th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

71) The Exorcist

72) The Fog (1980)

73) Session 9

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

27th - October Madness No.54 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 27 - THREATS FROM THE OUTER RIM: Monsters in space terrorize the ship.

[​IMG]

Forbidden World (1982) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5
    While trying to solve a problem of food scarcity in the universe, a group of scientists on a distant planet inadvertently create a mutant killer life form and higher galactic bounty hunter Mike Colby to take care of it. Forbidden World is a brisk paced (ie. under 80 minutes) Roger Corman executive produced sci-fi horror cheese fest that's stuffed full of gooey effects, a hilarious looking Alien-inspired space monster, and plenty of nudity that seems pulled out of a sexploitation picture and even features a love scene with a "space sax" solo! Sure, this one ain't high art or all that original but it's a fun time waster. The longer Director's Cut is also worth the extra few minutes.

27th - October Madness No.55

[​IMG]

Faust (1926) (theatrical screening with live score by Mahogany Frog) Rating: 5/5
    Everyone is familiar with F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu, one of the great silent horror films, but I'm surprised at how many people - myself included - have never seen, or don't talk about it as often, Murnau's Faust, which is absolutely magical, mystical, terrifying, funny, and heartbreaking. We've definitely all seen images from this film - the devil looming large over the town, the riders in the sky on the skeleton steeds, and a few other choice bits but I was not prepared for how stunning, amazing, and powerful this silent film is; telling the well-known tale of selling one's soul to the devil and the consequences that brings. And to top it off, my first viewing was in a local theatre - which also happens to be the last atmospheric theatre left in Canada west of Ottawa - with an ear-shatteringly amazing new live score by Winnipeg's Mahogany Frog that was phenomenal and perfectly complimented the visuals, moods, storytelling, tension, and magic. I've seen a few live scored silent films over the years (Metropolis with live symphony score, Nosferatu with live symphony score and another time with live score by psyche rock band Shooting Guns [who also scored WolfCop], as well as Dante's Inferno with live score by Goblin's Maurizio Guarani) and I have to say this was the best of the bunch and I hope they actually record the score and release it! The whole thing was just an unreal experience!

28th - October Madness No.56 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 28 - FOREIGN AFFAIRS: Watch something made anywhere besides the U.S.

[​IMG]

The Living Dead Girl (1982) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5
    The Living Dead Girl is an emotionally gripping gore-soaked tale about a blood pact between friends. When a container of toxic chemical is spilled inside a crypt the young deceased Catherine is resurrected, upon which she immediately feasts upon the men who were trying to get rid of the chemical in a place where no one should dare look for it, and returns to the quiet castle in the French countryside - now up for sale - where she previously resided. Here she awaits for her friend Helene, whom they each promised to follow the other in death. While Rollin wasn't a fan of gore himself, The Living Dead Girl perfectly captures Rollin's dreamlike aesthetic of his more artful films and successfully marries it with that of the splatter of his earlier outing The Grapes of Death creating a juxtaposition between the beauty and horrors of both life and death. And the music box queue that rekindles memories for Catherine, as well as signifies her loss and decay, is both eerie, ethereal, and will linger in your head just like the powerful ending that still packs just as much of an emotional punch as it did on first watch.

29th - October Madness No. 57 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 29 - REMADE IN AMERICA: Foreign horror later remade in the States.

[​IMG]

Martyrs (2015) - Rating: 1.5/5
    Speaking of emotional impact, the original French film Martyrs (2008) is one of those films that will haunt you after viewing as it's such a strong, ugly, cynical, and shattering experience. And of the wave of extreme French horror of the late 2000s, Martyrs is also the only one that I think actually deserves to be discussed, viewed, and justifies it's repulsiveness. I own it yet still haven't rewatched it, and when I heard they were remaking it the other year I thought about how absolutely pointless an excursion that would be since there's no way you'd be able to replicate the emotional toll and resonance and impact of the original film, especially for the American audience. But they still made the movie, and since this was the day's challenge I decided to see just how much this didn't need to be made. The American remake of Martyrs follows the original pretty much note for note, and because of this there is no force, no impact, no connection to film from the audience. The reason the original is so powerful is because it manages to inflict the suffering the characters are experiencing on the audience, and it's brutality is not fun, is mean, is raw, and feels real. In the US remake, the torture is watered down to a PG-level compared to the French film and feels cheap and hollow, and therefore loses any of the weight needed to justify it being on screen. And that's this remake's biggest sin, it just is boring, pointless torture porn that also sloppily forces the meaning of the film in what feels like cue card points taken from the filmmakers while watching the original without understanding what makes it work. There's no light in the eyes here.

29th - October Madness No.58

[​IMG]

Evil Toons (1990) - Rating: 2/5
    I enjoy Fred Olen Ray's productions from time to time, as they are usually fun despite being dumb and abysmally cheap, but Evil Toons is even cheaper! First off, they sell you a movie about Evil Toons - plural - yet we only get one! And the live-action animation only consists of less than 2 whole minutes for the entire 82 minutes run time where you actually get to see the animated creature because for the rest of the time he's possesses one of the girls in the house. Sure you get the standard nudity, one-liners, stripteases, and B and Z movie star cameos typical of an Olen Ray movie, but this one just so happens to be about 10 minutes of worthwhile story advancement stretched out to feature length featuring an uninspired David Carradine who for some reason decides to wait until almost everyone is killed before he steps in to save the day. Sure, logic isn't something that Fred's known for, but come on! The only thing that saved this one from the absolutely dumps was that I did laugh out loud from time to time, but I likely won't ever revisit this lame attempt at a Saturday midnight cartoon.

29th - October Madness No.59

[​IMG]

Virgin Witch (1971) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5
    Christine, a young model from London, meets Sybil, a lesbian photographer, who happens to be recruiting for her witch's coven and decides to be inducted. But turns out she's actually got supernatural powers and wants to replace Sybil as the best witch. Ray Austin (House of the Living Dead) directs this rather lurid UK film cashing in on the witchcraft craze of the '60s/'70s that happens to feature quite a bit of nudity and sleaze that seems more fitting for an Italian production than a British one. It's a bit slower paced, which hurts it a bit overall, but as a British oddity dealing with witchcraft it's a bit of a fun timewaster that's colourful, moody, and would make a good double-bill with the much superior Simon, King of the Witches.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 6 others like this.