The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Weekend viewing
    [​IMG]
    Movie #34:
    It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
    First time viewing (DVD)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    27. THREATS FROM THE OUTER RIM: Monsters in space terrorize the ship.
    [​IMG]
    Movie #35:
    Happy Death Day (2017)
    First time viewing (Theatrical)
    *** (out of 5)

Heard surprisingly good things about this Blumhouse teen slasher version of Groundhog Day. Because I had recently liked the company’s Unfriended (another young skewing horror movie with a premise I thought was ridiculous on paper) I decided to check it out. It was fine, but nothing great and not nearly as much fun as I’d been hearing in reviews/podcasts on the weekend of release.
    [​IMG]
    Movie #36:
    Cronos (1993)
    Rewatch (Criterion Blu-ray)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)
    28. FOREIGN AFFAIRS: Watch something made anywhere besides the U.S.

Heard some amazing things about The Shape of Water out of TIFF, so I’m going to rewatch all of Del Toro’s filmography before it goes wide in December.
    [​IMG]
    Movie #37:
    Let the Right One In (2008)
    Rewatch (UK Blu-ray)
    ****1/2 (out of 5)
    29. REMADE IN AMERICA: Foreign horror later remade here in the states.

Such a beautiful film

Rocker10, hulkyduck, maskull and 5 others like this.
  2. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

[​IMG]

My Halloween week is never complete without my annual viewing of, in my opinion, the best horror comedy of all time. Idle Hands is damn near perfect. One of my all time favorites, regardless of the genre. I always leave this one for Halloween day or the day before.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, Colin and 6 others like this.
  3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

17. Graveyard Shift (Ralph S. Singleton, 1990)

[​IMG]

I dig this movie. A lot. For whatever reason, it really nails the vibe of the short story for me. I love the idea of forgotten buildings below other buildings, discovering these catacomb-like spaces, and the creepy things that might be there. And I love the grease and grime of the mill, how everything just feels so filthy, like it's been wallowing for decades. Brad Dourif is fun as the exterminator, but the real star is Stephen Macht. The leering, sneering, drawling, raging heart of this movie. He is the most perfect personification of a Stephen King character I can think of. I love this movie. Absolutely love it. It's a quintessential 80's horror film...from 1990? I was really surprised to see that while watching it. This thing feels like it came right out of the heart of the 1980's.

Edit: and how is it possible that Stephen Macht also played the dad in Monster Squad? That blew my mind.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Rocker10, hulkyduck, maskull and 7 others like this.
  4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 29th-

They should have stayed off the damn island double feature.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, maskull and 7 others like this.
  5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

18. Bad Biology (Frank Henenlotter, 2008)

[​IMG]

Henenlotter went 5-for-5 with the Basket Case trilogy, Brain Damage, and Frankenhooker. I think he probably should have quit while he still had a perfect record. It's not a terrible film, but it's certainly not very good either. There's a desensitizing level of nudity in it, and the subject matter is about as graphic as you can get. But it doesn't actually seem that deviant. Not nearly as fucked up as his other films. It's just more graphic.
    It's just two weird people who fuck and kill in weird ways. Eventually they meet. The end.
    Certain elements seem like a weak riff on Brain Damage, but it's not nearly as good. So a little disappointing.

19. Dracula (Dan Curtis, 1974)

[​IMG]

No matter how many different versions of Dracula you've seen, there will always be one more. It seems like there are an unending line of these films, starting with Murnau's Nosferatu, right up to Coppola's version or Argento's version (and whatever the new Dark Universe has in store for us, assuming that The Mummy didn't scuttle that franchise). It becomes interesting to look for the small differences from version to version - is Dracula in love with Mina, or Lucy? Does Harker return to England, or not? Which supporting players are left out? How is Dracula dispatched at the end? So while this didn't exactly surprise me in any way, it was still a very entertaining, very atmospheric, very efficient telling of the story. I really enjoyed the classical horror film score. The misty Transylvanian locations. The use of practical locations as exteriors (as opposed to staged). There are some really fantastic scenes as well - the one that jumps to mind is the end of the Demeter, on the beach. It's so quiet, yet so genuinely scary and gothic. Palance is very good in a Jack Palance kind of way. He has to work hard to appear as more than a brute, but he succeeds well enough. The Night Strangler, Trilogy of Terror, Burnt Offerings, and now this...I am definitely beginning to consider myself a Dan Curtis fan.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, maskull and 4 others like this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/29/17

THE PIT & THE PENDULUM (1961)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the sixteenth century, Francis Barnard (John Kerr) travels from England to coastal Spain, specifically the home of his brother-in-law Nicholas Medina (Vincent Price: House of Wax, Masque of the Red Death). Centuries before the immediacy of text messaging, Francis only recently learned that his sister Elizabeth (Barbara Steele: Black Sunday, Shivers) died about three months ago. The letter with the heavy news was rather vague with the cause of death. In person, Nicholas provides little if any additional insight which forces Francis to stay at the castle until getting some answers. Younger sister Catherine Medina (Luana Anders) along with family physician Dr. Leon (Antony Carbone) offer assistance while trying to assure their guest that no wrongdoing occurred. Some deep childhood trauma that still scars Nicholas is uncovered. Questions still remain however. Did Elizabeth die of natural causes? Was it an accident? Is her ghost roaming the castle?

The Pit and the Pendulum was the second film in American International"s Poe series, following up on the success of Fall of the House of Usher from the previous year. Both featured Vincent Price as the lead & Roger Corman in the director's chair. Their Poe films (particularly the early ones) were noted for tight shooting schedules, budget saving thriftiness, matte insert backgrounds, & the occasional stock footage recycled. More often than not, the formula worked. The Pit and the Pendulum succeeds in no small part thanks to Vincent Price. His acting goes well over the top in the last 15 minutes or so, but never fails to command your attention. Despite being dubbed by a lesser actress, Barbara Steele is excellent, making the most of her more limited yet pivotal role. Kerr is pretty bland, but who really cares?

I revisited this from the Vincent Price Collection Volume 1, released a few years back from Scream Factory. Of special interest to die hard fans, there is an introduction from Vincent Price preceding the film recorded many years later for Iowa Public Television. Running several minutes long, this is a very welcome addition. Masque of the Red Death is my favorite from this series, yet The Pit and the Pendulum still pushes the right buttons.

DEATH LINE (a.k.a. RAW MEAT) (1972)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Late one night, a well-to-do gentlemen patronizes London's sleaze district eventually heading into the tube station. Just moments after propositioning a woman while awaiting a train, the man is attacked & left at the bottom of a passenger staircase. Exiting the last train of the night, couple Alex (David Ladd) & Tricia (Sharon Gurney) stop to offer assistance. After alerting a police officer, the guy is missing just minutes later. With knowledge of the subway victim being a very prominent individual with political connections, the police department launches an investigation with Inspector Calhoun (Donald Pleasance: Halloween series, Alone in the Dark) in charge of the case. Might this disappearance have anything to do with a Victorian era tunnel collapse in which laborers were left for dead & construction never completed? Sure, why the heck not!

Distributed in the United States as Raw Meat, Death Line is the first film from director Gary Sherman. He later made such films as Dead & Buried, Vice Squad, & Poltergeist III. This tale of cannibalism, urban decay, & secret abductions is anything but glamorous. Grimy & dank, the atmosphere can be frequently suffocating. Donald Pleasance is quite the smart ass police inspector trying to piece everything together & always wanting a cup of tea. Christopher Lee gets the and billing with nothing more than a few minute cameo as an agent who tries to pull rank on Pleasance. The scene serves very little purpose to the plot itself. The gore effects are well done & unsettling.

This was a debut viewing & I got my money's worth with the impressive package from Blue Underground. Audio & video are strong which enhanced the quirky soundtrack & minimal lighting on display down below. This film & Blu-ray release get a thumbs up from me.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, maskull and 5 others like this.
  7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Nothing but quality this time, likely this will be my top line-up for the season. Granted the reputation of three of the films, with a span of almost 90 years from one extreme to the other, made this a stacked deck. Ratings are out of ****.

10/25/17 - All About Evil (2010) ***1/2
    "Won't the theater start to smell?"

After inheriting her father's run down theater, a woman accidentally films and screens the murder of her bitch queen mother. The film is a hit with the gore hound audience, so she assembles a film crew of the deranged to make more.

Gleefully over the top, dementedly gruesome comedy-melodrama. I had a grin the entire run time, and may put this one on the season's annual rewatch short list.

Every villain is delightfully wacked, ham acted film tropes chewing scenery like coked up termites. Every protagonist is grounded in pragmatic morality - decent, common-sensed people trying to do what's right without being enamored by the smell of their own farts. Even the investigating cop is genre defying fresh air - called in to put the screws to the misfit protagonist, he smells the bullshit right off and even ends up helping set things right. And the finale is literally drop dead.

There are a couple non-subtle social messages here. Like the jab at small minded school faculty who equate non-conformity with dire social threat. Or parents who don't "get" their children and think fixing that means talking more and getting directly involved in their activities, when the real problem is they never listen. But mostly this is just a solidly cast, smartly written, genre savvy without being overtly referential, entertainment driven horror comedy. Highly recommended.

10/26/17 - A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) ***1/2
    In an urban blight, where poverty and despair collide to create cruelty, a young man faces impending maturity between a junky father and a dead end future. When an undead avenging angel wastes a sadistic drug dealing pimp, the man takes his stash and after trying out the lifestyle finds himself in over his head.

A stylish, mesmerizing, even suave film. Mixing vibes from the 50s through 80s, foreign cultural aware but focused on the common plight human stories, it’s uncertain when or where the film is supposed to take place. And it doesn't matter, the story is timelessly cool, entertaining, and thoughtful.

The film does plod a bit, and sometimes closely skirts the edge of where artsy becomes pretentious but deftly avoids falling into that pit. If movie makers insist on pushing teenage vampire flicks on movie goers, this is how to do it right.

10/27/17 - Faust (1926) ****
    God and Satan wager the dominion of the world on the virtue of one man. As Faust causes tragedy for others in pursuit of his lusts, his abandonment of charitable pursuits and ultimate fall from grace seems near certain.

A monumental work of pure art, with stunning imagery such that every scene is like a painter's genre or landscape on canvas.

Beyond the visuals, the film is a deft dramatic tale. And even an effective horror - from Mephisto dreadfully casting his plague cloud shadow on the town, to Faust fleeing in terror from the summoned Mephisto only to chillingly find him waiting patiently at every turn.

Emil Jannings was gleefully fiendish as the Devil, bring such energetic villainy to the role his performance would not be out of place in modern film making (even if his politics made him box office poison).

The uplifting ending of the film is somewhat diminished by Faust blaming youth for his folly, never admitting it was his own innate selfishness that caused such misery. He never actually renounces Satan, nor asks forgiveness for what he wrought. Its arguable whether the Devil actually lost his wager at the end, but it’s a small complaint for such a landmark film.

10/28/17 - 10 Rillington Place (1971) ***
    A dramatization of the true life account of John Reginald Christie. Who gassed, raped, and strangled several women in mid-20th century England and haphazardly disposed of their bodies on the run down property of his landlord's boarding house.

A cold, dispassionately presented collision of two small minded, manipulative schemers and the misery their meeting caused. One a timid, nervous, methodical, voyeuristic creep who uses medical fraud as a means to satisfy his urges. The other a down on his luck, illiterate, abusive man whose inability to handle adversity by other than pathological lying would ultimately seal his and his family's fate.

Richard Attenborough was brilliantly unnerving as the quietly seductive predator Christie, deftly spotting his victim's weaknesses and conning his way to their trust in order to strike. A fairly young John Hurt skillfully played the braggart patsy Evans, poorly concealing his failures behind brash over confidence and a web of falsehoods. Evans becomes outclassed by Christie, in a manner that may have allowed the later to continue killing for longer than he would have.

Understated as British TV often is, particularly from the 60s and 70s, this makes for some quietly unnerving and emotionally draining viewing. A hint of compassion, positive emotion, or just a real sense of justice might have alleviated things a bit, even if it would likely have been to the detriment of the film. But the lack of something to alter the uniform morbidity of the tone slightly diminishes its effectiveness, by the end you're left just feeling numb. This is some seriously dour watching.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, Colin and 4 others like this.
  8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've had this set for more than a year, but I never got around to watching any of the films. This is one of the more compelling flicks I've seen in a while. Viewed from any type of critical perspective, it's almost completely incoherent and amateurish. So what salvages it? It has the visceral, direct quality of a nightmare--specifically the types of nightmares I had frequently as a child. I often had dreams where the line between safety and all-out terror was razor-thin. I'd be safe one moment, then sprinting for my life the next. This movie has the same type of rhythms. Innocuous scenes segue into complete insanity with no build-up or typical transitions, and the ghouls look similar to those from my nightmares. It's easy to imagine the average viewer laughing at it. My experience was different. It probably helped that I viewed it alone, late at night, and in the dark. It brought back part of my subconscious that's been gradually submerged over a lot of subsequent years.

Oddly enough, I once visited Willow Grove Park as a very young child. My personal connections to this movie are really, really odd.

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

Split -

I think too many or most of M. Night Shyamalan's movies are based on the twist. And for me if the twist is good, that makes the movie good or worth revisiting. I was looking forward to Split as it seemed to have a good plot. If you thought Michael Fassbender did a good job playing two characters in Alien Covenant, James McAvoy goes all out and plays more than I can remember in Split. The wiki says a crazy number but I counted at least a handful if not a bit more. And we see the character's medical files and records in the movie which lists all of them.

But with all that, it's still about that twist. A twist I kind of had spoiled as I saw a title of a story with an actor who commented on Split. I saved the article link for the future but just him commenting was enough. I'll put the spoiler warning from here just in case.

Since he commented I knew kind of where the movie was going. And throughout the movie I was waiting for the reveal to happen. And when it did, it was too late and kind of obvious for fans of that movie since one of James McAvoy's characters almost says the full name of that movie in Split. Although part of me thought for some crazy reason that one of James McAvoy's personalities would be a character from that movie. But in the end the twist wasn't much of a twist at all for me. That movie is Unbreakable by the way. I believe that is M. Night Shyamalan's best movie that I've seen.

I thought the hero girl in Split would have some kind of ability as well. Not just from what I gathered being the survivor of what is being talked about in Hollywood a lot these days. And living with that person which is insane.

I guess the movie was ok like all the director's other twist movies. But this isn't one I'll revisit. Perhaps if there is another Alien movie both Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy can play mulitple androids.

Rocker10, hulkyduck, maskull and 2 others like this.
  10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Okay so now I am starting to hit some of my favorite movies:

Oct 29th - Spider Baby (1968)
    I only first saw this a couple years ago and instantly loved it. Lon Chaney Jr put on a near perfect performance and Jill Banner was unforgettable. This is really overall a pretty tame movie but excellent due to a clever script and wonderful acting.
    5/5

Oct 30-
    Night of the Demons (1988)
    I first saw this shortly after it was released on vhs and have been in love with it from the first viewing. Quigley is awesome in it and there are several great one liners (run jane run - see jane run).
    It really is a must see for me at Halloween time (I mean it just oozes Halloween) and although I enjoy the second movie in the series quite a bit it still isn't as good as the first one in my opinion. And the lipstick scene....
    5/5

Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    There is no comedy movie that makes me laugh as much as this one. And yet there are a few scenes sprinkled in it that are fairly emotional. Frank steals the show but Burt and Ernie are pretty awesome too. The soundtrack is awesome as well - especially if you select the original soundtrack. And everytime I watch it I notice some small goofy thing - such as the eye test chart that says Burt is a slave driver (and I couldn't make out the rest). First time I saw this was on HBO as a kid when I wasn't supposed to see it - and love it to this day.
    5/5

hulkyduck, maskull, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  11. nightmare5fan

nightmare5fan Member

Thursday, October 26th
    The Haunted House (1929)
    Just some silly fun and wonderfully macabre imagery. Love me some vintage Mickey Mouse!

La puerta y la mujer del carnicero (1968) [The door and the butcher's wife]

A friend recommended some time go this Mexican anthology film. First part is surreal horror, where a creature appears in a coat closet, disrupting a party-a-go-go. There's jazzy/garage music and cool 60s dresses and hairdos. Second part is more like dark comedy and set during the Mexican Revolution. It's posted on youtube, if anyone's curious to see it.

Friday, October 27th
    The Fly (1986)
    Was happy to catch a theater screening. Found the first half slightly boring, since it mostly consists of Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis sporting horrible 80s hair and clothes, but the latter part gets wildly gory and existential.

Sunday, October 29th
    It (1990)
    Talk about dated! I remember when I couldn't watch this with the lights out. Hadn't watched it in more than a decade, and it was nevertheless a good watch.

The Blob (1958)
    What's not to adore, starting with the theme song? One of my favorite crature design. Loved the Criterion blu.

Cult of Chucky (2017)
    Enjoyed it a lot more than Curse, even if
    it was criminally open ended.
    The doll design was also improved, and
    yes, I'm kinda embarrassed to say that I find evil-faced-Chucky slightly hot.

Attached Files:

12. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Can't say I disagree at all with your point. Kind of what I was thinking to.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  13. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 30TH: Demons, The Evil Dead, Night of the Demons

14. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 30

I went through the whole month before I realized I hadn't taken in one of my favorite trilogies. Took care of that tonight.

124. The Evil Dead (1981) Blu- Great flick. Definitely the more serious film of the trilogy. Always liked it, always will.

125. Evil Dead II (1987) Blu- My favorite of the trilogy. This movie is so jacked up and moves so fast. Bruce Campbell let it all hang out on this one. I remember searching forever for this before studios decided releasing in about 20 times was a good idea. I started off forgetting that I had the 25th edition and put in the Anchor Bay blu. Couldn't take the shitty transfer and popped the disc out. The 25th edition looked quite a bit better, Very cool film, one of my all time favorites.

126. Army of Darkness (1992) Blu- Lots of comedy in this one. Good third film with many memorable moments. I usually check out extended cuts, so for this viewing I just went with the theatrical version.

I'm not telling anybody anything new about this trilogy, but had a lot of fun with it!

~Rocker10

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I very much agree that Malatesta's Carnival of Blood feels like it inhabits a surreal dream world. It's playful & odd. When it seems relatively harmless, just moments later you'd swear this is the stuff of inescapable nightmares. So glad you could appreciate this unique film. I imagine many people may find this too bizarre. Anyone willing & able to go along for the ride will not forget it so easily. I grew up in Pennsylvania, but never heard of Willow Grove Park until many years after it was torn down. You are lucky to have made it there.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 30th

1922 (2017)

[​IMG]

An adaptation of one of SK's stories from Full Dark, No Stars, this stars Thomas Jane as a farmer with an incredible speech impediment. Oh wait, that's just Thomas Jane acting, sorry. Thomas Jane is a terrible, dumb farmer who has a rich wife and a nice kid who loves him and none of this ever explained. Why would anyone marry this asshole? Why would any kid idolize him?

Moving at an incredibly slow pace that is supposed to be creepy or suspense-building, but is instead neither, it simply feels like a bigger budget version of The Tell-Tale Heart but without all the good stuff. There's a very dumb policeman as well who does a very dumb job of policing. Everyone is dumb in this, including the dumb neighbor who begat a dumb kid who finally has a moment of ingenuity and decides to flee the dumb ol' farm.

This would have been not-great-but-fair as a short film in an anthology. On its own, I was ready to crawl into the well with the dumb cow.

Rocker10, Colin, hulkyduck and 4 others like this.
  17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks! This is what it's all about. We've all seen an insane number of horror movies, but there's still so much undiscovered terrain to explore. It's always such a pleasure to find something new and interesting. I'll take an oddity like this over anything that's coming out now. Modern horror sensibilities very rarely connect with me.

I'm going to try to check out the other two American Horror Project flicks today. Now I feel stupid for taking so long to watch this set.

18. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

High Tension

One of my all time favorites. I need to upgrade my old Thai dvd I ordered online back in the day.

Halloween 4

I watched this late last night as the hour turned to midnight. I absolutely love part 4, one of my favorites as a kid and still holds true today. It was fantastic to watch on blu ray for the first time as well.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #38:
    Someone’s Watching Me! (1978)
    Rewatch (DVD)
    *** (out of 5)
    30. TIARAS OF BLOOD: Scream queens are the true heroines of horror.

Went with an Adrienne Barbeau flick for this pick

Rocker10, indrid13, hulkyduck and 4 others like this.
  20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 26:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

86) Lake Mungo (2008): Maybe I missed something and should go back and watch it again but I really don't think I did and I don't think I'll feel like sitting through it another time. I get the tragedy and the mystery and the supernatural elements all in a faux documentary format thing but I just never felt interested in it. I wasn't engaged in the mystery and I didn't like how it was all parceled out bit by bit....and any movie about this subject matter that doesn't make me feel sad at all is a total failure because to be honest, I'm an easy mark when it comes to that stuff.

87) We Are Still Here (2015): An old school throwback slowburn that feels akin to Ti West's House Of The Devil in mood and atmosphere...but a little quicker moving without losing any of the dread. And plenty of blood. A cast of genre favourites and other people you'll recognize, a house in the middle of snow swept fields so when get a nice feeling of isolation even though there's a town with a dark secret nearby....not to mention the angry ghosts living in the basement. It's a beautifully effective film that doesn't exactly surprise, but I didn't care about that at all because I was just so into everything that was happening on the screen.

88) We Are What We Are (2013): A nice looking movie with some great performances and plenty of horrible, bloody things happening, but I just have a hard time enjoying watching a man who abuses his family in the name of religion. The ending was very satisfying if out of nowhere.

89) Beyond The Gates (2016): Great practical effects with a rather forgettable story. Honestly I just wanted them to spend more time in the video story looking at the inventory.

90) Emelie (2015):
    Well I'm not sure you'll ever leave your kids with a babysitter again. Sarah Bolger is fantastically friendly, creepy and oh so not the person you want as a babysitter, unless you're making a movie about a psycho babysitter and then she's pretty much perfect. She does some icky things and some cruel things and some inappropriate things, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense once it's revealed why she's babysitting in the first place. The ending kind of goes in a rote direction and wastes the build up, but the build up is "UGH!" enough to make this worth a watch...if you don't have kids.

Rocker10, indrid13, hulkyduck and 5 others like this.