The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I much prefer the original Mexican film from 2010 than Mickle's Americanized remake.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

30th - October Madness No.60 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 30 - TIARAS OF BLOOD: Scream queens are the true heroines of horror.

[​IMG]
    Nightmare Sisters (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5
    Scream Queen's Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens, and Michelle Bauer player three nerdy sorority sisters who have the house to themselves so they host a party and invite some boys over, but when they stumble on a weird crystal ball the three become sex-and-blood thirsty topless succubi! Nightmare Sisters is a "4 Day Wonder" from David DeCoteau who shot the film on short ends and left over stock from his recently wrapped previous low budget production Creepozoids (which also starred Linnea). And it sure shows as there aren't a whole lot of scenes in the movie and they tend to play out longer than they should - especially the painful opening with the fortune teller. The film does get a bit repetitive because of the limited timeframe and it doesn't always hold one's attention but if you're fans of the three Scream Queens there's a lot of cheese and flesh to enjoy and all three actress look like they had a fun time making this super cheap quickie production. Also, the succubus demon at the end is nothing more than a hand puppet but damn if it doesn't look cool yet goofy and cracks me up every time.

30th - October Madness No.61 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 30 Part 2 - TIARAS OF BLOOD: Scream queens are the true heroines of horror.

[​IMG]

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    I decided to take the day's challenge a little more literally with the "tiaras of blood" and "scream queens" and since a lot of HorrorDigital'ers have been watching and discussing this one lately I too decided to give it a revisit and forgot just how much fun and whacked out Prom Night II really is. And yes, as mentioned it's definitely got an Elm Street vibe with the dreams and the outstanding and creative effects work. But while it sure owes a lot to Craven and Co., Prom Night II also riffs heavily on DePalma's Carrie, taking those familiar prom-related horror-set-pieces but here turning them up to 11! The other thing I love about this flick is it looks and feels so much like a demented R-rated alternate universe episode of Degrassi with it's Canadian TV look and feel (being shot in Edmonton and all - which is only a couple hours away from where I live, so next time I'm there I'll have to do some location scouting). I only have this in that Alliance Atlantis Prom Night DVD box set which is from a pretty shoddy and muddy tape master, and I'm sure like most of you here this one is in dire need of an HD restoration and Special Edition Blu-ray release!

Also, HAPPY HALLOWEEN from Chop Top!
    [​IMG]
    Now lick my plate, you dog dicks! This was my Halloween costume this year from this past weekend for all the Halloween festivities. Got some friends coming over tonight for a Halloween party to watch a couple of flicks to complete the SCV Psyhoctronic Challenge for the last official night and then it'll be the end of October Madness for another year...

Rocker10, indrid13, hulkyduck and 9 others like this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Well done all around, MorallySound. Enjoy your Graveyard Smash tonight.

indrid13, hulkyduck and MorallySound like this.
  4. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 30th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

74) V/H/S

75) V/H/S/2

76) House of 1000 Corpses

Rocker10, indrid13, hulkyduck and 3 others like this.
  5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I'll have to give it a try. Most times the original is better than the remake and I heard that this one is fairly different from the Mexican one.

indrid13 and hulkyduck like this.
  6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

20. The Wolf Man (George Waggner, 1941)

[​IMG]

Of all the Universal Monster films, this might be my favorite. Although Lon Chaney Jr. isn't the greatest actor in the world, he can certainly pull of the tragic and naive Larry Talbot. It seems tailor-made for him, and a little prescient - I know he didn't have a very happy life. Much like Lugosi, who was still getting the respect he deserved at this point, despite it being a very small part. He's great in it, though. And I could watch Claude Rains in anything. His character is fairly tragic as well. As a teenager I had a real crush on Evelyn Ankers as Gwen Conliffe, and watching it again did nothing to change that. Of course, it has some great and iconic makeup effects, and a wonderful score. A 10/10. What a great movie.

21. The Wolfman (Joe Johnston, 2010)

[​IMG]

I can't believe it's been 7 years since this came out. It may not have done well, but I really enjoy it. It's dark, it's violent, it's well acted, and it's absolutely beautifully to look at (and I don't just mean Emily Blunt, although damn...). About the only thing that's wrong with it is that it's a bit overlong. Although I'm not really sure what they could have cut out. Clearly they tried, which is how we got the ten-minute shorter theatrical cut, but I don't think that really worked, as I remember the director's cut being an improvement (I don't think I've watched the shorter version since it was actually in the theater, so my memory of it is a bit dim). As I was watching this, I kept wondering how you could possibly make a better remake of the Lon Chaney version? Perhaps the final werewolf vs. werewolf fight is a bit over-the-top, but at least it's done practically, and it's not too drawn out. I mean clearly the movie has already deviated from the original by that time (as it had to), so you can't really complain that it's not in the original film. The ending as it is in the original film is too simple for a modern film. And I like the idea of making Sir John the villain. It gives it a whole other layer while still being true to the elements of the original. The movie takes itself as seriously as death, and so I suppose it might be a little dour for some tastes. There's certainly no comedy or lightness in it.

It's really a shame that this didn't do better, because we might have seen more like this rather than the new Dark Universe nonsense that Universal is serving up. I think people who dismissed this should go give it another chance. People talk about IT being a welcome return to hard-R theatrical horror, but this movie really earns it's R rating too. I mean stop and think about that for a second: we got an R-rated wolf man movie. I'm not really sure how that happened. It certainly wouldn't happen today.

Rocker10, indrid13, Steel76 and 5 others like this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I greatly preferred the remake, but yeah, they're two completely different movies.

indrid13 likes this.
  8. maskull

October 27:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

91) C.H.U.D. (1984): Another movie that I really mis-remember things about. 1. I thought a character dies in the apartment building. 2. I thought Michael Moriarty was in this. I don't know why I thought these things. I must be getting old or something. Anyway I really love the look and feel of the 80's streets of New York and I love the sewers and the sewer dwellers. And the monsters are pretty cool looking as well. Actually I like most of this movie but I could kind of do without the cover up part. I know it's par for the course with this type of movie, but it kept getting in the way of seeing the C.H.U.D.'s attacking people. That's a horrible crime in my book.

92) C.H.U.D. II: Bud The CHUD (1989): Feels like they were trying to make a Return of the Living Dead movie but with C.H.U.D.s but forgot to actually make it funny or...good. The only good things about this are the zombie (CHUD) poodle's attack on the mailman, Norman Fell making a cameo, and the song. Otherwise this was hard to sit through.

93) Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (1988): Lots of fun with Elvira making boob jokes, learning her witch-ly powers, almost being burned at the stake, trying to find a job, and making even more boob jokes. You'd think I would've got sick of all the boob jokes....but I didn't because she's quite charming as she does it.

94) Elvira's Haunted Hill (2001): Maybe I shouldn't have watched this right after Mistress Of The Dark. Maybe I was burned out on boob jokes....no, that's not right. I still enjoyed those. I just didn't find this one to be as silly fun as the first one. Elvira was meaner too. She was charming and pleasant to people who were cool with her, but this time she seemed to be making fun of people more. Besides, the jokes weren't as fast and furious either. There seemed to be long stretches without anything funny happening. This was a bit of a let down after the first one.

95) Jack-O (1995): Silly kills, goofy actors, an out-of-nowhere Linnea Quigley shower scene ( a very long one), a killer with a giant pumpkin head and a scythe as his preferred weapon, nudity, kids being chased by a maniac but refusing to drop their Halloween candy, a lesson about running away from a killer (don't run with knives kids! especially near toasters!), cartoon electricity zaps....this is a bad movie. A badly entertaining movie that occasionally drags but is mostly a lot of fun.

Toaster death scene:

96) The Hollow (2004): All right it's really not a good movie. It was shown on SyFy back in the day when it was still spelled SciFi (I know because my version still has the SciFi watermark on the bottom corner during the entire runtime), and like I said, it's not good. But for a made for TV movie from 2004 with cheapie effects, it's not bad and the Headless Horseman looks pretty cool. There's a decent number of deaths, and a bunch of actors you may recognize and it's a movie about a present day Headless Horseman but based on the original story...a sequel if you will. A that's cool cause I love the Headless Horseman and there aren't enough good movies about him. This is close enough.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This might literally be the only American remake I prefer to the foreign language original.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It actually premiered on ABC Family in October 2004, not Sci-Fi Channel. It was released on DVD the following October (2005), and Sci-Fi channel started airing it sometime after.

I really love this movie for whatever reason, I watch it every year. It's to the point where I can recite most of it while the movie is playing.

If you want some fascinating behind-the-scenes info about this troubled production, be sure to check out the director's episode of The Movie Crypt. It's amazing the movie turned out as well as it did!

indrid13, hulkyduck and maskull like this.
  11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

22. The Werewolf and the Yeti (Miguel Iglesias, 1975)

[​IMG]

My Paul Naschy Collection vol. II just arrived, so I thought it made sense to continue with the werewolf theme for at least one more film. I'd been wanting to see this for a while, since it was a video nasty. As expected, it's completely nuts. For a movie called "The Werewolf and the Yeti", it has very little to do with werewolves...and even less to do with yetis.

Paul Naschy has a Himalayan orgy! Caves are lit with Bava-esque mood lighting! They made a cross for a dead Sherpa...aren't Sherpas Buddhist? Oh cool, that guys name is Larry Talbot...wink wink! Some of the snowy exteriors are really great, especially when filmed near dusk. Other snowy exteriors are...not so great. Clearly they filmed this in a few different places. There's quite a lot of nudity in this one, which you wouldn't expect from a movie set on a frozen mountain. The fact that this is a video nasty was a mystery to me...until the scene where
    several naked women are graphically skinned alive!

And seriously, I cannot emphasize just how irrelevant both the werewolf and the yeti are to this movie.

The Scream Factory print is in pretty rough shape, and a few scenes in particular look like they were taken from a VHS, but on the whole I couldn't be happier with this.

12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Didn't much like either, but I also thought the original was the better of the two. Wrote the original up in the 2015 October watch thread, and wasn't too kind in my consideration. For me the remake was worse. There is a good chance both will hit my purge pile soon.

indrid13, maskull and hulkyduck like this.
  13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

My favorite Naschy film for all the reasons you state.

indrid13, dave13, maskull and 2 others like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 31st
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I got home from work earlier and this is what I got on the agenda for the evening. Happy Halloween Y'all!

77) Phantasm

78) Evil Dead (1981)

79) Suspiria

80) Psycho (1960)

15. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

Not seen as many movies as i had hoped to see due to heavy work commitments this month but still had a great time. Thanks to everybody for the write ups , they have given me lots of ideas for what to watch over the next few months and hopefully onto the mararthon next year. As i finish this it is 10.30pm uk time , so my good friends Stateside and in Canada enjoy whats left of your day and happy Halloween

43. The Barn (2016)

First time viewing. After seeing a couple of good reviews on this thread i decided to track this down. ,The story is ,a group of kids on the way to a rock concert , stop at a small town to go trick or treating and unwittingly release 3 demons from a cursed barn on the small town. The movie made me feel like I was back in the 80's . Go check this out it's a lot of fun. 4/5

44. Trick r Treat(2007)

Watch this every year and has never started to feel dated . How many of these now popular anthologys over the last few years owe a debt to thisfilm. Captures the mood of halloween perfectly with a very clever interlocking story, lets hope the promised sequel gets made , we deserve more of Sam 5/5

45. Halloween (1978)

Not just my favorite horror film but my favorite film of all time to finish off my marathon. Nothing i can say that has not already been said. Simply perfect. 5/5

Workshed, Colin, Natas and 7 others like this.
  16. maskull

October 28:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

97) Puppet Master (1989): So after watching the 2 Elvira movies yesterday, I had a craving to check out a movie that she hosted. I didn't want to watch something I'd never seen before (first time watches must be pure!) or a movie I love, so I went with this. I was a little surprised by the long stretches with no Elvira involvement, I actually forgot I was watching one of her movies at times, and her jokes were kind of hit or miss...except for the coughing up a leech joke...but I actually enjoyed this movie a bit more this time around, even with the looong stretches of no killer puppets. Maybe Elvira helped. I'll watch more with her.

My friend came down for the day to do our yearly Halloween Horror Fest. He's not really into horror and he showed up 3/4 of the way through this movie. I didn't tell him what it was about so when the puppets showed up for the first time he was "what the f*ck???".

98) Land of the Dead (2005): My friend had never seen this one. He's seen Night, Dawn, Day and the Dawn remake, so I figured it was time to finish off watching the "good" Romero Zombie movies (I actually like Survival). He said he liked this one better than Day. I kind of get it. More action, more zombie attacks, and to be honest I didn't like Day the first time I saw it either.

99) Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988): I decided to roll the dice and throw this one on next for my friend. Unfortunately I think I chose poorly as he didn't seem to enjoy it much. A couple of laughs and he liked the inside of the circus tent/space ship but otherwise he just seemed to want it to end. Oh well. I like it and wanted to watch it again so it wasn't a total loss.

100) 30 Days of Night (2007): I wanted my 100th movie to be an actual horror film and my friend said he wanted something scary. Then he suggested this one. I didn't have the greatest memories of it but I figured "what the heck? I'll give it another go."

Great premise and I enjoyed the graphic novel this was based on and the set up was great, but my friend and I both started getting annoyed by the constant shaky cam the prevented us from actually seeing any of the kills. Not to mention the incessant need for characters to insist on doing completely stupid things. I think he enjoyed this more than I did because he was cheering for Melissa George and Josh Hartnett to survive. I just liked the snow. He wasn't happy with how it ended.

101) Halloween (1978): And then my friend made a startling revelation: He's never seen Halloween!!!! (or Friday The 13th or ANOES). We had to fix that quickly!

I loved it as usual but he started to get restless with the lack of kills and slow pace for a lot of the runtime. I honestly don't think he liked it very much. His words: "It's OK, but it takes a long time to get going". I kicked him out of my house and we're not friends any longer. Just kidding!

102) Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985): As my friend had never seen a Friday the 13Th movie (except the remake) and I'd already watched Part 1 and Part 2 earlier in the month and I wasn't about to start a newb to the Franchise with Part 3, so I went with Part 5. I've always liked (loved!!) it, it has lots of kills and as he wasn't all beholden to the mythology, I figured the final reveal wouldn't bug him much. He enjoyed it. Thought it was dumb fun, loved Reggie The Reckless and when Tommy kicked people's asses and even liked Pam and wanted her to survive. He really liked Robin...if you know what I mean. But he laughed at Violet so I punched him in the face.

And that was the end of our annual Horror fest.

Workshed, Colin, Natas and 6 others like this.
  17. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 30th-

Last night's King's killer heavy metal double feature.

18. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 31
    [​IMG]

Halloween ~ 1978
    [​IMG]
    Halloween II ~ 1981

indrid13, Natas, Kim Bruun and 3 others like this.
  19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

No offense meant to anyone but I've never understood the love for this film. I know it's a fan favorite but I've always found it extremely boring, almost bordering on tv movie cheap. Other than the two Rob Zombie abominations, this is easily my least favorite Halloween sequel. What am I missing?

MorallySound and indrid13 like this.
  20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 31st -
    The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    Was a classic as soon as it was released - music is amazing and it is a spectacle to watch. I turn this on every Halloween right about the time trick or treating starts up (partly because it is safe to have playing in the background when little kids come up to the door).
    5/5

Dracula (1931)
    Another all time classic movie - nobody beats Bela as Dracula. Movie still holds up to this day.
    5/5

Trick 'r Treat (2007)
    I am not a huge fan of anthologies - but this one works and I like how it is all interwoven together. Not a perfect movie but a great play on Halloween.
    3.5/5