The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'd respectfully argue that Halloween is the inspiration for those other films, not the template. Halloween's descendants share a lot of superficial similarities, but there are some huge tonal differences. For starters, Halloween is not a body count movie. The murders aren't that important, and they're tame and subdued compared to what came later. For Carpenter, the murders were just a means to an end--unbearable levels of suspense. By the time of Friday the 13th, The Burning, and Halloween II, the murders aren't just part of the puzzle, they're the raison d 'etre. It probably sounds like I mean that in a condescending, insulting way, but I don't. I enjoy movies where you ROOT for the killer as much as most people here, but they're not the same as Halloween. None of the characters in those later movies inspire the same level of emotional investment as Laurie Strode.

I don't deny that it's tougher to make the same argument for H4 (since Bucky and numerous others are there just to graphically expire), but I still think Jamie and Rachel are better-drawn than most slasher film heroines. For me, that elevates H4 above the more exciting but brain-dead sequels like H2 and H5. I'd rather have better characters and stories than superior scares and murders. Don't think that means I'm dissing those two. I love H2 and H5, too.

Workshed and indrid13 like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

October 29th:

Channel Zero: No-End House "The Damage" & "The Hollow Girl" (DVR) - Finished the series. Same thing I said before applies. I appreciate the weirdness, but the show itself isn’t that engaging. I wasn’t impressed. Jury is out if I’ll return next year (oh, who am I kidding. It’s horror. Of course I’ll be back).

SNL.JPG

The David S. Pumpkins Halloween Special (2017) (DVR) - I had no idea what this was, but randomly saw an ad for it and set the DVR. I’m glad I took the chance, because this was great. Just goofy Halloween fun! I hope NBC airs this animated special every year because I’ll definitely make it an annual tradition.

SNL Halloween (2017) (DVR) - I don’t watch SNL and really haven’t since the '90s. This was a mash-up of some of their Halloween skits of recent years, which is pretty much perfect for me. I LOVED it! Kellywise was a riot and Bill Hader made a great Vincent Price, but my favorite was the Merryville Brothers. I probably should have watched this before The David S. Pumpkins Halloween Special so I’d have known who the guy was.

BEFORE.JPG

Before I Wake (2016) (blu-ray) - This has been released in every other country except here, including Canada. I picked it up earlier in the month, and I’m glad I did. It might be Mike Flanagan’s best movie! I loved it! Not sure what the hold up is. There’s more drama than horror, so maybe they just don’t know how to market it? Was expecting another mediocre PG-13 ghost movie, instead got something beautiful, creative, and original. Highly recommended.

Boys In The Trees (2016) (NetFlix) - I love coming-of-age movies and I love Halloween, so this seemed like a match made in heaven for me. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. I was bored out of my mind and thought this pretentious slog of a movie would never end. If you want a great coming-of-age film set during October, check out the terrific Lightning Bug. I really wish I had watched that again instead of this turkey.

October 30th:

Pandemonium (1982) (DVR) - This aired on COMET, which airs pretty much nothing but old MGM horror movies. I had never seen it before, but had always wanted to. I thought it was a riot! And this might have had one of the greatest casts ever assembled! Of all the early '80s genre spoofs, Student Bodies, Class Reunion, Saturday The 14th, etc, this might be my new favorite. Although I still need to see Wacko.

The Crush (1993) (blu-ray) - I probably should have picked something more October-ey, but I really wanted to watch this for whatever reason. I love it. So much fun, and Vancouver gives it a really beautiful look. I checked out the filming locations while in Vancouver earlier this month, and the house in this movie is seriously my dream home. I hope there’s actually a merry-go-round in the attic, even though I know better.

TALES.JPG

Tales Of Halloween (2015) (blu-ray) - This didn’t quite hold up as well the second time around, but I still had a blast with it. They did an amazing job with the Halloween atmosphere, and the non-stop genre cameos are fun. I especially love Adrienne Barbeau unofficially reprising her Stevie Wayne role. The bonus disc on the blu-ray has a bunch of additional shorts I haven’t gotten around to yet. Looking forward to watching those soon!

The Walking Dead "The Damned" (DVR) - I should probably stop watching this show, because I don’t really know what’s going on anymore. Just a bunch of guys who all look the same running around and shooting at each other. I think some of them died, but it’s hard to tell if it’s a main character I’m supposed to care about, because again, they all look the same. I guess it’s just my obligation to watch it as a horror fan, I don’t know what’s wrong with me?

October 31st:

Phantom Of The Megaplex (2000) (DVR) - This was cute. That’s really all I’ve got to say. I played it in the background while I did stuff around the house. You could tell that whoever made it had an appreciation for movie theaters and old movies, and it’s cool they imparted that into a Disney movie for children. It was perfect background noise, but I don’t know if I’d sit down and give it my full attention.

LONESOME.JPG

Lonesome Ghosts (1937) (DVR) - 10 minute Mickey Mouse short they aired on TCM. I have vague memories of this from childhood, specifically of having a view-finder version with stills from it. Again, cute. Not much else to say.

It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) (DVR) - I got a rock.

[​IMG]

I’ve Been Waiting For You (1998) (DVD) - I remember when NBC aired this hot on the coattails of Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer. I really love it! The fall atmosphere is terrific. It’s a slasher movie that's lite on kills but heavy on plot and atmosphere. The cast is really fun, including Punky Brewster and a young Ben Foster. Plus, it's from the director of Teen Wolf Too!

DEMONS.JPG

Night Of The Demons (2009) (blu-ray) - Night Of The Demons 1 & 2 are two of my favorite horror movies of all time. I’ve seen them so many times I can recite them. I decided to shake things up this year and give the remake a spin. I hadn’t seen it since it was released. Probably a mistake, as I’d have much rather watched the original films on Halloween, but this is still a colorful fun party movie. My only gripe is that it doesn’t feel like Night Of The Demons to me, probably because the notable omission of Hull House! They used a gorgeous renovated mansion that isn’t even remotely creepy. Standing on it’s own though, it’s still a fun little Halloween movie.

The Evil Within (2017) (DVD) - After so many re-watches this year, I decided to watch something I’d never seen before. The backstory behind this is pretty fascinating. A drug-addicted millionaire self financed this movie (on a mid 7-figure budget), filmed it over 5 years from 2002 – 2007, then died of a drug overdose before the movie was ever completed. It was finally completed and released this year. The movie itself… it’s pretty out there. It’s basically about a mirror that tells a mentally handicapped boy to kill, starting with the neighborhood pets and eventually moving up to the pretty blonde who works at the ice cream parlor. Probably not something I’d revisit anytime soon, but certainly engaging and interesting.

American Horror Story: Cult "Drink The Kool-Aid" – Really liked this episode. Things are finally coming together, and this season is more focused than I initially thought. Excited to see where the final two episodes go.

So many great moves I didn't get to this year, but fortunately the first week of November is perfect for squeezing those in.

Goodbye, October 2017

Previous entries:
    Hellbent (2004)
    Halloween (2007)
    Stranger Things 2 "Chapter Three: The Pollywog"
    Stranger Things 2 "Chapter Two: Trick Or Treat, Freak"
    Channel Zero: No-End House "The Exit"
    Channel Zero: No-End House "Beware The Cannibals"
    Channel Zero: No-End House "Nice Neighborhood"
    Channel Zero: No-End House "This Isn't Real"
    May (2002)
    Jigsaw (2017)
    Stranger Things 2 "Chapter One: MADMAX"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Winter Of Our Discontent"
    Varsity Blood (2014)
    Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
    Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers (1995)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "The Past Is Never Dead"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Dawn Of The Dead"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Drone"
    Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989)
    Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988)
    The Middle "Halloween VIII: Orson Murder Mystery"
    The Walking Dead "Mercy"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Out Of The Frying Pan"
    Halloween II (1981)
    Halloween (1978)
    Creep 2 (2017)
    The Hollow (2004)
    WNUF Halloween Special (2013)
    Stickman (2017)
    Tickled (2016)
    A Woman's Torment (1977)
    Cult Of Chucky (2017)
    The Simpsons "Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII"
    The Simpsons "Halloween Of Horror"
    The Haunting Of Sarah Hardy (1989)
    The Watcher In The Woods (2017)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Night Of Hunters"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Valerie Solanas Died For Your Sins: Scumbag"
    Demon Wind (1990)
    1922 (2017)
    Truth Or Dare (2017)
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Saint Sebastian"
    Victor Crowley (2017)
    House Of The Witch (2017)
    Lurkers (1988)
    Prime Evil (1988)
    American Horror Story: Cult "Mid-Western Assassin"
    American Horror Story: Cult "Holes"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Between Good And Evil"
    Slasher: Guilty Party "Six Feet Under"
    Hatchet III (2013)
    The Corpse Grinders (1971)
    Neverknock (2017)
    Blood Beat (1983)
    Bunk'd "Camp Kiki-slasher"
    Bunk'd "Bride And Doom"
    The Sandman (2017)
    Amsterdamned (1988)
    Hatchet II (2010)
    Hatchet (2006)
    The Black Room (2017)
    American Horror Story: Cult "11/9"
    The Babysitter (2017)
    Better Watch Out (2016)
    Don't Kill It (2016)
    Friday The 13th (1980)
    Happy Death Day (2017)
    Gerald's Game (2017)
    Trip With The Teacher (1975)
    Aberration (2007)
    Flatliners (2017)
    Ghosted "Pilot"

Workshed, Rocker10, Colin and 3 others like this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I can only assume you were watching the DVD or a bootleg for Nightmare Sisters because the blu-ray was excellent quality.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

And we wrap on a down slide, but it’s still been a fun romp this year. More so with the forum community adding to the festivities. Ratings are out of ****.

10/29/17 - Bride of Re-Animator (1989) **
    "Make a note of it, Dan. Tissue rejection!"

Dan and Herbert are up to their old morbid tricks in Arkham. Some of the over the top insanity as the original film, but not fitting as smoothly with the plot. Attempts at comedy, which misfire. An ill-fitting and awkward love scene. Stilted, sometimes jarringly inconsistent dialog. Scene transitions are often klunky, like the editor didn't know what to do with the clips. And the pacing is like a car with a bad transmission, alternating between surging forward and grinding to a stop.

The finale is a wild ride, with the special effects (except for the bat-head) a splatter junkie’s treat. But everything else is half baked, as if the cast and crew had showed up on set and only then thought about what they were going to film. Brian Yuzna has definitely done worse. A lot worse. More than once. But he's done better, and this one falls too far from the original to overlook.

10/30/17 - Stoker (2013) **1/2
    The return of a long lost sibling is rarely a good thing in a horror movie. When two show up, both fixated on a coming of age daughter, blood relatives gets a new meaning.

Nichol Kidman breaks typecast by playing the shallow, haughty bitch. Okay, so she plays entirely to typecast. Mia Wasikowska plays Wednesday Addams, Matthew Goode channels Chris Sarandon, and Chan-wook Park makes us wonder what the hell happened to the man who brought us the Vengeance Trilogy.

The film deviates from predictable horror film tropes of the unexpected intrusion of a lost relative, only by taking a final swerve to the bizarre (a direction the film toyed with tepidly early on but seemed to back away from). Making the affair a stylish mix of rote with nonsensical. The result holds up if you put your brain on pause. And I have to give credit to perhaps the best pencil scene since The Dark Knight.

10/30/17 - Pieces (1982) **
    A killer with a penchant for puzzles and dressing like a noir gumshoe uses his amazing ability to hide a chainsaw behind his back to paint the campus red.

Check your brain at the door before entering. This isn't just bad acted, bad dialoged, low budget shlock, its silly ridiculous stupid. Christopher George slums it as the police detective who couldn't apprehend his own ass with both hands, and as the body count quickly racks up recruits a twit student who should be a suspect instead of locking down the campus. There's teeth grindingly surly Groundskeeper Willy. There's the slow jog in terror. The vicious Kung Fu ambush laughably excused as mistaken identity. The slasher victim who sidetracks to go snooping in a building and freaks out when she encounters a locked door. And needing to serve two cups of spiked coffee to roofie the girl.

And there's that infamous junk shot, fitting the festivities as much as would an alien abduction scene.

All making for mindless popcorn chomping fun, I'm glad I watched it but I doubt I ever will again.

10/31/17 - The Neon Demon (2016) **1/2
    An glaringly obvious allegory on the fashion industry, making for a visual and auditory feast you may choke on.

I walked into this knowing the near political debate level frothing polarization of opinion. One of the best quotes I read referencing this "Refn rehash" was "if you don't see just one film this year, please make it this one."

But I liked it. Like its subject matter, it's artsy-shallow, but it’s hard to argue it makes pretense to be otherwise. The characters do bleed together, in behavior and appearance, again by design. Its intentionally too vapid to be surreal, with a left turn ending whose execution is unexpected but direction isn't. The languid pace for me did not detract from engagement, rarely was I aware of passage of time. And sometimes style over substance works.

10/31/17 - Come Back to Me (2014) **
    An overly creepy neighbor with mommy issues takes the open house concept too literally.

If the writing credits didn't give the twist away, the opening scene does. Which is this movie's problem, everything is spelled out, in heavy handed matter. Characterizations are never subtle, nothing is left to inference, loose ends get tied and then retied. There are even explanatory flash backs just in case you weren't paying attention to the obvious staging of earlier scenes.

Tropes abound. The killer swiping the house key, the unexpected return home, the friend who stops by to die. The resolution is store bought brand name predictable. Two lone pillars stand tall, the serial killer bending concept (credit belonging to the source book) and the rather clever ending (which may or may not from the book). Things fall flat where those core ideas are expanded into movie substance.

Workshed, indrid13, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  5. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

It ended up raining here Halloween, all day-night pretty much......only got 3 trick or treaters and I wasn't able to set up my projector outside......which was a bummer, but it did provide a good atmosphere during the day watching horror....dreary, rainy, never saw the sun.

What a fun month. I ended up getting in 30 flicks (7 on Halloween day/night) not as many as I would have liked but this world series has been amazing and those games ate up a bunch of viewing hours (especially that phenomenal game 5, which was like 5 and a half hours long)

I didn't get in any Freddy or Leatherface. I didn't fit in Halloween parts 2 and 5...... but that's always the case, every year there are always some features I just can't get to. I guess that's what November is for!!!

I didn't reference any TV shows in my posts throughout the month but I watched half a dozen Treehouse of Horror Simpson episodes, a bunch of South Park halloween episodes including the new Witch episode, which was a fucking riot. Randy celebrating Halloween week dressing up like a Witch getting drunk and smoking crack. LOL

Anyways.......Id like to thank everybody again for their participation in this thread. It's been my absolute favorite thread to follow since I've been on this board. Really was a lot of fun. Cheers.

Workshed, indrid13, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/31/17

HAUNTEDWEEN (1991)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Went out to the Alamo Drafthouse. Couldn't make it early enough to attend their only screening of John Carpenter's Halloween, so instead we got to see Hauntedween for the very first time. Once a month, Alamo here does a Video Vortex night which features obscure films that have either been video only releases or films never released on physical media. First time attending a Video Vortex show. It looks like they are only $5.00 admissions.

The Burber Family is holding their annual haunted house in Kentucky as son Eddie (Craig Bitterling) is stuck working parking lot detail. At least he gets to wear a cool Halloween mask. Eager as ever, the kid ends up leaving his post. Sneaking into the house, Eddie encounters a girl who struggles a bit to find her way out. A freak occurrence happens which spells certain doom for the future of their haunt operation.

Fast forward twenty years later & we are introduced to a fraternity at the local university. Kurt their president (Brien Blakely) lets them know that the fraternity has fallen out of favor with national headquarters & unless they receive the vast sum of $3,700.00 - the fraternity is history. After contemplating a number of dumb suggestions, a number of them by member Hanks (Brad Hanks) with his outrageous accent, the decision is made to proceed with the ultimate Fall fundraiser. The frat members & their friends stage an October haunted attraction at the old Burber House after a "mysterious stranger" just gives them the keys to the property. The verdict on the haunted house is lackluster schlock until a certain madman gets in on the fun doing some brutal things to the cast that the public is gullible enough to believe is part of the act.

Hauntedween was shot on 16mm film & transferred to video. This is an entirely regional production done on a very small budget with non-actors & a whole lot of heart. The lack of technical polish is part of the appeal, no need to be a snarky asshole when watching this. Very much a product of its times, it actually looks & feels as though this could have been made in the late 80's. Check out the cardboard promotional standees within the haunt for Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) and Pumpkinhead (1988). Standees were awesome back in the VHS rental store days. The haunted house scenes are my favorites. The baseball demonstration is nuts & yes, there's more bonkers content. It's very clear this was intended to be a horror comedy. More fun to just go with it. Glad I did.

HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Eight days before Halloween, small business owner Harry Grimbridge is murdered under bizarre circumstances shortly after he is admitted into the hospital. Dr. Dan Challis (Tom Atkins: Night of the Creeps, The Fog) does not accept the turn of events, nor does the daughter of the deceased Ellie (Stacey Nelkin). The unlikely duo team up to investigate what really happened. Their search takes them to far Northern California, specifically Santa Mira. The small town is known for being home to Silver Shamrock Novelties, whose latest product line of Halloween masks is taking the nation by storm. Federal auditors may have failed, but perhaps this duo can finally learn what really goes on at the headquarters of this eccentric company?

It's not October unless I fit in a screening of Halloween III: Season of the Witch. Anyone still getting their balls in an uproar that Michael Myers is on vacation for this film, needs to get over it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the Halloween sequels, but this one is easily my favorite. It really captures the season for me at least. Always had a love of Halloween masks. Since they are a major element of the plot, I get my fill. Tom Atkins has long been one of my favorite character actors. This is one of the very few occasions where he not only is the lead, but also earns top billing. Whether fighting his way out of horrific situations, grabbing a six pack of beer or drink of whiskey, staying persistent in his quest for the truth, or just getting laid with attractive women - Tom Atkins is a cult icon. Stacey Nelkin is more than just eye candy. Despite their differences, she shares a great screen chemistry with Atkins. As the founder & president of Silver Shamrock, Dan O'Herlihy (Twin Peaks, Robocop) is very well cast as Conal Cochran. A warm & kind public face that can easily transition to a dead serious tone with icy menace. Cochran is not only a marketing genius, but truly a visionary who knows how to motivate employees & appropriately reward top salesmen. His adherence to Old World values is a change of pace in the corporate world.

Halloween III benefits from a tremendous film score by John Carpenter (also a producer). The cinematography of Dean Cundey is another huge asset. 1982 was a terrific year for horror films, even if some of my favorites were not box office hits. John Carpenter's The Thing is another example.

This wraps up my October Horror Marathon. Ended up watching some more obscure films this year & a bunch of first time viewings. Didn't fit everything in that I would have liked. Watching the World Series definitely played a part in that. The best part of being a diehard horror fan is that you can watch this stuff year round. Don't have to wait another year. Why should anyone?

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

HauntedWeen has been available on DVD since October 2012. I own it.

You can buy it here: http://hauntedween.com

othervoice1 and indrid13 like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I plan to buy it.

othervoice1 and indrid13 like this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    30 10/22 Ben Mankiewicz Presents, Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
    Over at my family's house and they bookmarked this to watch because they, "thought I'd like this." My reputation proceeds me. :D It's been such a long time since I've seen this that it was like seeing it for the first time. I liked how well Barbara Shelley played conservative and then really vamps it up. She's having more fun here than some of the other Hammer babes who ended up as bride. They played around a lot with the lighting of the castle to capture the mood purely moment to moment which is fun.

Ben made a nice crack after the film, saying the follow up Taste the Blood of Dracula is his favorite because "it's a complete sentence." o_O The family, however, did not want to watch Taste; sentences be damned. :p

[​IMG]
    31 10/23 Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    I began my Universal Classics cycle in earnest, always leaving these for the end, but then my Paul Naschy Vol. 2 set arrived and so I watched those instead (so more on that later).
    One of the things that struck me is that they correlate the channeled lime stone deposits with a live Creature still living in the Black Lagoon. But one has nothing to do with the other. Where a fossil may have drifted to because of natural erosion has no bearing on where its originating species may migrate to over the course of millions of years! It's literally a coincidence. Makes for a nice cinematic DUN DUN DUN moment, but as scientist it should not be very compelling. Also I love that they're all on deck at the end watching for the rampaging creature; three armed men on one side of the boat and an unarmed woman they've all been over protective of all movie on the other side. :confused: I mean, was she intentionally baited to draw out the creature?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    32 10/24 Salem's Lot (1979)
    I've been pushing this one back year after year. But with Tobe Hooper's death and a fresh Blu-ray I made damn sure to watch it this year. I'm not much of a Hooper fan I'll admit but this always worked well for me. The fact that not a whole lot of vampire action is in the first half of this mini-series but it remains taught with tension speaks so well of what Hooper is so great at. King can be superfluous with a lot of character "development" but Hooper made something outta nothing here. In fact once he does have something to work with in the second half it feels like something of the tension in this slow build is sadly lost. The finale is something of a comedy of errors to me, with previously rational now people acting like complete morons. And the wrap around doesn't really work for me. They could have ended it all in 'Salem's Lot and I'd be happy with it. And James Mason seems to be having a total ball in this. But he's always great in everything. It's too bad his death is rather anti-climatic (and out of character to me; why did he spontaneously turn into a :mad:MONSTER SMASH!:mad: character? He'd been calculating all film. Now suddenly he grabs a stair rail to confront a guy with a gun? Da fuq?)
    But man Bonnie Bedelia is HOT as a vampire!
    [​IMG]
    I kinda liked her before, but when she vamps she VAMPS!

10. f0t0z00m

f0t0z00m New Member

Yeah, definitely not Blu-ray.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Count me in as a PHANTOM OF THE MEGAPLEX fan. I remember seeing that in 2000 while staying at Disney World. Good times. I have it saved on my DVR thanks to Dish.
    I also watch - every Halloween Night: HALLOWEEN III Season of the Witch. The atmosphere is awesome in that flick. The last great Halloween score, too. The photography is top notch right up there with THE FOG. How I wish H2O had the same type of look and sound.
    LADY IN WHITE - never loses its appeal. I absolutely love the blue screen visuals since they add a surreal look to such a warm, nostalgic film. The subplot with the janitor is just tragic. Loved it! Excellent score, too.
    CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS - I love the obnoxious dialogue. There are some truly creepy moments and not one character is safe from danger. I also love that unsettling music. There are some funny moments, too, such as that zombie ambush or that moment when you think the caretaker *might* not be noticed by the zombies stumbling past him...but wait...:confused::eek:
    I usually watch Hell Night and Terror Train but I didn't squeeze 'em in this time out.

indrid13 and Workshed like this.
  12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I get what you're saying, Halloween is special for me too. Not least because it is more elegant - artistically and technically - than most of the movies I would lump it with. But... Halloween is a body count movie. Come on, Annie, Bob, and Lynda - they are completely static in terms of character development, and their actions have no real impact on the plot. They are strictly there to be killed, and Annie's death, in my book at least, is a pretty sharp jolt. Not because I liked her, but because it tapped into something legitimately frightening. I also agree that Laurie Strode is special in terms of emotional investment. Jamie Lee Curtis may have had better acting chops and more presence than most of the final girls that followed her. But again, my point is that most of these movies copy all the elements of Halloween - not always successfully - but the lineage is so easy to trace. It's not how gory the movie is. It's not so much if the body count consists of 5 or 10 kills. It's not whether the story takes place at a campsite, a cosy little town, or on campus. It's the basic plot structure, how the story progresses (crime/tragedy in the past tied to the killer, something activates the killer in the present, the killer works his way through a pool of victims, the final girl is confronted by the killer, either defeating him or fending him off until help arrives, but the final girl is not home free at the end of the movie). It's the archetypes - the final girl, the killer, the victim pool. And in these regards, Halloween is so obviously the archetext on which these movies were made. Heck, you'll even find a watered-down Dr. Loomis in many slasher movies, the most obvious being Crazy Ralph in Friday the 13th. Some slashers introduce minor variations, such as having the final girl die, having a boy as the final girl, or having the final girl and the killer be one and the same (no spoilers!). Of course, genre categorisation is not an exact science like math, and tone and emotional response are obviously important to you. They certainly are to me too, but I don't think you can completely disregard narrative perspective, plot structure, and archetypes when defining genre and subgenre. We might not completely agree, but if we carried on this discussion much longer, we'd probably find that that some points of disagreement to be about semantics more than anything. ;)

On a related note, it always bugs me when people call movies such as Maniac and Don't Go in the House slasher movies. These movies are so obviously different in focus from say, Halloween or Friday the 13th.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    indrid13 likes this.
  13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

We're definitely NOT London and Tokyo on this topic, Kim. No doubt about that.

I suspect the people who lump Maniac and Don't Go in the House with Friday the 13th and The Slumber Party Massacre have never seen Maniac or Don't Go in the House.

indrid13 and Kim Bruun like this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, since we're talking about what is or isn't a slasher movie, the one that really grinds my gears is when people call A Nightmare on Elm Street a slasher. What? I mean seriously, what? Freddy Krueger is DEAD and he only gets you in your dreams. Yes, he does have that glove with blades that certainly "slashes" some victims (Tina especially), but a "slasher" film is about a real killer who stalks and knifes his/her victim (although the methods may change just to keep the SFX makeup guys creative), not a supernatural-type film like ANOES.

indrid13, Workshed and Kim Bruun like this.
  15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 31st

Rocky Horror Cabaret/Burlesque at Red Rooster [Dinner Theatre]

[​IMG]

I've been traveling since last week--now in Munich for work--and I am exhausted! But before I left, my gf and I managed to work in one last Halloween event, this time a live cabaret/burlesque show over dinner, to the tunes of Rocky Horror Picture Show, my gf's favorite musical.

I had never been to a burlesque show before, and certainly not one celebrating transvestite-centric showtunes. But hey, I like RHPS and I love fried chicken, which is where Red Rooster (the theater/restaurant) specializes. As we sipped champagne and ate chicken, biscuits, greens, mac and cheese, and other delicious treats, we watched all manner of performers sing, lip-sync, and do the Pelvic Thrust on stage. Some performances were inspired, others were simply gross (no shaming there, but really, pulling a bit of chicken from a pair of panties and chomping down on them as I, myself, ate chicken was...tough to swallow--yuck, yuck! [seriously, yuck]). But it was all a riot and in good fun, and we got good and drunk before we had to board a mercifully later flight the next day.

October Totals:
    Due to a fair amount of travel this month, my numbers dipped a bit YoY: 21 films in 2017, vs 32 in 2016. Plus, I also watched Stranger Things S1 and S2, along with Mindhunter S1, all of which were great. Not all of the films, in either year, were horror, but whatever, I'm fucking tired and cannot go through them all at the moment.

2017 Highlights:

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (where have you been all my life???)
    The Babysitter (2017)
    Suspiria in 4K (and in the theater!)

2017 Lowlights:

A Cure for Wellness (a dud from start to finish, despite some fanciful shots)
    1922 (should've stayed in the past)

The real highlight was reading all the great write-ups from posters. A renaissance year for this thread and contributions. Thank you all for taking the time.

16. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm surprised this topic is still going and hasn't moved to the general comment on horror movies topic. I saw Eden Lake, Get Out, and Suspiria recently. I'm going to watch one or two more horror movies this weekend. Reviews coming soon to go where ever there is activity.

othervoice1 likes this.
  17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What the hell, I'll post some more thoughts from October:

[​IMG]
    00 10/25 Mike, Bill & Kevin Presents, a Rifftrax Live! Presentation of, Norman Gives a Speech (1989) [theater]
    Kind of an odd short to pair with a horror film, an industrial "comedy" short about the pratfalls of giving a speech, but it occurred to me that with the majority of Americans fearing giving a speech over death perhaps it's a very fitting film indeed! And it makes for a nice comparison with The Ghost and Mr. Chicken I saw earlier with Knotts giving a petrified speech with many of the same gags as Norman had here: microphone feed back (only when the comedian tries to speak), losing notes at the podium before you can even begin, and really bad winging it. The difference of course is the comic timing and skills of Knotts verses the guy playing Norman who seemingly had neither. Helps me to appreciate G&MC all the more. :D

33 10/25 Mike, Bill & Kevin Presents, a Rifftrax Live! Presentation of, Night of the Living Dead (1968) [theater]
    Mike, Bill and Kevin recorded a special opening to this replay of their 2013 live performance. They paid tribute to George A. Romero after his passing and made a point to say how good NotLD is and Kevin made an extra point of how scary it still is. This is the very first time they've ever recorded an opening to a replay and so this is clearly an earnest shout out to the man, the legend, George A. Romero. With all that said they do do a great job riffing this movie, mostly making fun of the characters for putting themselves in the spots they're in. I'm sure Romero is laughing right along side them the whole time.

With that said NotLD plays so well on the big screen. From the time Barbara's first attacked until she gets to the farm house is a brilliant use of steady cam (a decade before there ever was steady cam), sound design and the editing is so damn good which of course Romero always excels at. But the reason why that's so remarkable is that you have a sequence that moves in such a zig-zag from the graveyard to the farm house that's very difficult to conceptualize visually from one shot to the next. And he does flip the visual axis several times but always makes sure he establishes anchors points for the audience going back and forth. That Romero, whom we've seen from on set photos was the camera man for this sequence, could envision everything from start to finish so singularly speaks to his natural gift to the medium. There are Hollywood productions today that have a hard time reading well from one room to another in an action scene; and here Romero make it look so effortless even film educated audience members often overlook how well done this whole sequence is. Such a great talent. Subtle but always brilliant. It was no accident his films found the success they did.

BTW Millcreek paid to advertise their Blu-ray before the show. :p

34 10/26 Martin (1978)
    I wrestled mentally with myself whether is was "Octobery" enough for the season, but as a long ago favorite of mine that I haven't seen in over a decade I figured this was as good a time as any. Plus he's in it! I had forgotten how much this had to do with past events nearly one hundred years ago so this is very Octobery in my mind. Still a favorite of mine which showcases that understated sense of humor of Romero's. His love of toying with the characters as well as the audience is the difference maker that makes a good story teller great. There's a lot of childhood in Pennsylvania on show here and so I think a lot more of Romero on screen than any other film he ever made. That may be even more obvious if we ever get to see the original three hour cut long lost. It's a crime that Rubinstein is holding this personal film hostage just to squeeze a few more bucks outta the already well wrung Dawn of the Dead.

35 10/27 Frankenstein vs. Baragon ( Furankenshutain tai chitei kaijû Baragon ) (1965) [93 Minute International Version]
    A twist on the Frankenstein legend as only Toho can do it. As a tribute to Haruo Nakajima I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Godzilla star when Germans themselves often refer to kaiju as Frankenstein's Monsters. So why not double down on Frankenstein Friday, the last Friday of October, with Furankenshutain? While Nakajima plays second fiddle Baragon he share a parallel story throughout the film only to cross paths for the fiery finale. Gotta love Nazi's sending Frankenstein's heart to its last axis ally via sub as one final gambit. Which historically they did, with academia placing money on atomic secrets very much inline with Godzilla's stock-in-trade, this seems like a natural story line. I unabashedly love this film much like King Kong Escapes; it makes an argument for the monster even if he is unarguably on the rampage all for SCIENCE! Again it's been far too long since I've seen it and I'm glad I put it in as I enjoyed it thoroughly. Nakajima, you magnificent monster, I may not pay tribute to you in these past or Octobers to come but you were welcome among the monsters this month. And you'll only have to wait a month to be stomping around on my Turkey Days for decades to come.

00 10/27 Frankenstein (1910)
    I use to slip this in on the 31st but with my packed Halloweens I think I'll be making this a permanent Frankenstein Friday fixture instead. A cool little film and the more I consider alchemy the more I like its creation scene. I'm struck this time in how, much like in the following adaptation, The Monster makes a clear plea at empathy. For example when Frankenstein's fiance comes the first time he hides, placating Frankenstein and giving him an opportunity before finally turning completely on Frankenstein. The lesson learned from all these adaptions of the fable is that Frankenstein never learns. And that is becomes the downfall of all.

36 10/27 Frankenstein (1984)
    After Carrie Fishers death I looked up her filmography on a lark looking for any horror films and found this. So being a bit of a Frankenstein fanatic I picked up a VHS of it off eBay for a song. I'm glad I did because, while it's clearly low budget, it has a great showman ship about it that many other low end adaptations lack. Great on location interiors and exteriors; the castle they used for both was perfect. The creation scenes was one of the better I've scene and I wondered why they were holding back but then it has a nice pay off. The script had a much more direct take on the religious implications of what they've done. As well as an interesting take on the Monster, with the character being unable to separate emotional pain from physical pain. David Warner played it very childlike and was good at being subtly mentally deficient. Warner was great casting but I think he needed a lot more preparation time and more takes. But that's also the benefit of made for TV you can end up with some really raw performances.

Carrie Fisher came off the most polished, with good solid line readings and a clarity of performance. Earnest without hamming it up; which is difficult when all the other actors around you are over playing it. She was always an underrated actress if her professional attitude on this small feature is any indication. Also Fisher sings in this which is a talent of hers she always worked to showcase. I'm sure its inclusion was a big reason why she agreed to do this telemovie. A great film to watch her at her prime before she was hired to just play "Carrie Fisher."

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Workshed, Natas and othervoice1 like this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

37 10/28 Svengoolie Presents, Tarantula (1955)
    Fun little flick that's seemingly overlooked when giant bug discussions come up. The plot evolves rather realistically if a little slowly but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of grim scenes. There's a lot of the spider on display in the third act which makes up for that. Except for a few poorly masked edges on the mattes the special effects are really well done on this one. Those bad masks are especially perplexing though when you consider most of the masking is so well done. The spider must have gone off script but even still just don't use those frames! These guys know their business... but yeesh!

38 10/28 The Werewolf and the Yeti ( La Maldición de la bestia ) (1975)
    This films been on my "must see" list for a long long time. It's hard to imagine a film living up to a title like this. But surprisingly it's a pretty entertaining movie (even though the Yeti is barely in it!). The plot is basically Werewolf of London before he got back to London which is kinda cool; even using a flower as a cure. It's an under appreciated film and it's fun to see Naschy take a second look at an underutilized portion of that own film's plot which opens in the Himalayas. Even the more supernatural elements and demons in the valley is carried over. It kinda loses it way towards the end with a warlord plot that has almost zero werewolfery involved but it's still Gothic and lurid enough to get a pass. It must be admitted that the Werewolf versus Yeti rumble at the end is less than stellar. It isn't even as good as the human Naschy fighting human warlord towards the end! (Which was pretty damn good. It was so extensive I even began questioning how the Yeti fight could possibly top it). Waldemar Daninsky hasn't failed to entertain me yet!

39 10/28 Svengoolie Presents, The Brides of Dracula (1960)
    I enjoy this more than any of the other Hammer Dracula films and Dracula's not even in it! (Not to mention Christopher Lee). It took me awhile to reconcile this fact but I have to be honest with myself. This is the best vampire film they did. But Peter Cushing's all I ever need in a Hammer film anyways. While this is a cheap film, and it doesn't not look cheap, there is a pitch perfect mise en scène that I feel like Hammer built off of Curse/Horror, then nailed with Brides and then slowly declined from. Freda Jackson as the Baron's henchwoman is wonderfully nutty. So many great moments. Her monologue berating the deceased Baroness is so great and a rare moment in a Hammer film. But her coaxing a waking vampire bride in her grave is always the moment I instantly visualize when I think of this film.

But the real draw to this film has to be Yvonne Monlaur. It didn't really register with me that Monlaur passed away this year but thankfully Svengoolie paid tribute to her during this airing. Her character is so intensely stupid even Van Helsing gives a double take when she announces her engagement with The Baron. And she hasn't even been hypnotized! Sven even cuts in to show he's dumbfounded at one point. But Yvonne sells her role so well I don't think audiences ever even get frustrated with her. Speaks to how charismatic she is and how much the camera just adores her.
    [​IMG]

40 10/28 The Hunchback of the Morgue ( El Jorobado de la Morgue ) (1973)
    Whenever a Hunchback is involved you can usually guarantee that everything including the kitchen sink will get thrown in and this is no exception. (Does a hunchback in horror = kitchen sink?) So much fun and yet not much like Naschy's other films I've seen. It starts out kinda slow, almost implying a regular giallo/slasher is in the making, but then quickly descends into Gothic Horror as Naschy's character goes descends into madness as well. The script even gives a unique little shout out to the Necronomicon and The Great Old Ones before it was cool! Really goes to show how into the genre Naschy was to acquire Spanish translations of Lovecraft. It reminded me more of Castle of the Creeping Flesh but without all that rape. More than a few EFX struck me as realer than real and checking IMDb confirms that. And so much like Creeping Flesh this is not for those with triggers. :D

Workshed and othervoice1 like this.
  19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

41 10/29 Paul Naschy Presents, Exorcism ( Exorcismo ) (1975)
    I don't remember watching this before and neither did I recall a single moment of it while watching it. But afterwards I remembered Naschy did intros for the BCI discs (and is why I'll keep them) so I dusted mine off and it was opened; usually an indication that I've watched it. And Naschy's intro itself rang a little bell. But not the film. Which is strange because it was fun and very enjoy able. As are all his intros. I love that stuff, much like Vincent Price's PBS intros on the Shout sets, and it's really too bad Cliff couldn't make the deal and get these on the Shout sets. Word is they tried to keep expenses low on these Naschy boxsets. :(

Anyways, while it's universally called out as an Exorcist rip-off I'd say, except for a few visual similarities, it's not much like it at all. After questioning a lot of the plot details in The Exorcist and Blatty's sequel, it's somewhat surprising to see Exorcismo as a logical straight forward movie about Exorcism. Shall we compare? What the hell:
    The girl becomes possessed through a fairly vigorous series of black masses and is sustained by them. Although it's pointed out that these rituals are done almost entirely by drug users looking for a brand new kick and not in earnestness, the Catholic Church of course says that invocations of the devil/outside spirits is always a dangerous action. In The Exorcist Regan's use of the Ouiji board is recognized by the church as a possible channel but is not considered as "dangerous" as out and out black masses of course are. It's a very conservative approach to make this innocent game the gateway to Regan's soul while Exorcismo takes a much more traditional aversion. After that, the demon's action seems fairly logical and in keeping with a demon. All those who died probably went to Hell for example. And they also served to prolong the possession. The driver's false confession and suicide for example; even if his suicide doesn't count against him the lust of is soul would anyways. Her brother was engaging in per-marital sex but also the most vocal advocate for her exorcism. So he's in hell and no longer around to draw unwanted attention. The satanist boy friend was also a loose thread that may have led back to the satanists and was a lost soul who may otherwise be saved with Naschy's intervention; so his death sent him to death too. All murders were well timed to keep the possession going and send their souls to hell. Win:Win scenarios. Unlike Blatty's deaths which mostly sent people to heaven or killed non-players unlikely to be redeemed.

Souls jumps are also established beforehand in Exorcismo but a pure twist in The Exorcist. And with that said, which Naschy's character probably wasn't going about the exorcism in the smartest way he did not fail in terms of the challenge to his soul. It's a worthwhile distinction.

It's worth noting that a lot of plot descriptions indicate the daughter's possession here is by her dead father. It seems very clear in the movie that the demonic spirit is only impersonating her father along with others. And the Priest later confirms it is a demon when conducting the exorcism. Maybe that's a change in the English dub? Also I read that the eye movement at the end is explained elsewhere, so I'll have to check that out. I was left wondering what they intended; the girl lives and is saved or the girl dies but her possessed corpse comes back? Hard to tell. I'm curious most of all what Naschy has to say on the matter.

[​IMG]
    42 10/30 Paul Naschy Presents, Horror Rises from the Tomb ( El Espanto surge de la tumba ) (1973)
    Such a fun one. It's a lot like Black Sunday and The Thing That Couldn't Die (both favorites) mashed together but takes it in its own direction. It's great to see someone make a unique mythology for a vampire lore. Obviously regions had their own spin on the undead and so we should be so boxed in as to consider Stoker definitive. It also taps more into the core idea that vampirism is a Satanist's game that usually only hinted at in other films. I'm not a fan of Let Sleeping Corpses Lie though and the LSCL-esque sequence here isn't selling me any more on the execution either. This does oddly drag a bit. By moving from slasher to zombies to vampires it kinda loses focus for the audience. And the ending fizzles out a bit and when it just kinda trails off at the end is shot very poorly. Kinda disappointing especially when the rest of the film there's little to complain about in terms of framing/coverage. It's like the camera crew went home and left the sound guys to shoot it. It's so good up til the very end though that it's still entertaining.
    Probably the rare time Naschy dies before the final act. Sure his twin the villain is still around but it's a bit of a surprise not unlike Janet Leigh. The flip of the hero at the end is a nice twist and a nice concession from Naschy in his own script. He had to be satisfied with being only the villain and not also the hero. ;)

[​IMG]
    42 10/30 Paul Naschy Presents, Night of the Werewolf ( El Retorno del Hombre-Lobo ) (1980)
    I've always said this is my favorite, and while it still is, after watching a bunch of back to back Naschy I have to admit this ones not standing out as much as it use to. The execution is certainly the best of anything Naschy has ever been involved in. Once the vampires are loose the dream like Gothic flourishes out class virtually anything else. But it's reserved and a lot of the wacky charm we've come to love is not here. Somewhat ironic that an actor known for hammy schlock directed one of the more serious entries. Certainly Naschy wanted to do what most any self professed actor wants to do and that is drama, drama, drama. So there's a lot stronger character pieces here and actors are give the screen time to be more subtle. And so more than any other film of his I feel like some nuances were missed; like the scarred Mircaya who loved Waldemar from afar. She could have regained her beauty as a vampire and made an effective pass at Waldemar. Would have made a GREAT scene. Instead this great character they build off is virtually cast aside once undead. Naschy hardly sheds a tear before he stakes her! Still well done. Still the best. Just leaves a little bit to be desired.

[​IMG]
    43 10/31 Frank Oz Presents, Little Shop of Horrors (1986) ["Intended Version"] [theater]
    Informative intro with Oz talking more at length about shooting Audrey II in slow motion and dropped the nugget that the "The Guy Sure Looks Like Plant Food to Me" scene took some 4 weeks to shot; entire films are routinely shot in 4 weeks. And that there were four sets and it took about a week to prep a set. So Oz needed to get what he could on set and would of needed a DAMN good reason to switch back. So it brings a better appreciation for Rick Moranis's skills as an actor since you really can not tell he's walking/talking/emoting in super slow motion whenever he's in frame with the plant. It's seamless with the regular motion shots. So the fact that this all edited together so perfectly is unbelievable.

When I first saw the original "intended" ending on Blu-ray I have to admit it rubbed me the wrong way. So I was reluctant to pay like 15 bucks to see something I didn't like. But it is a fantastic EFX sequence. I don't think there's an in camera practical effects sequence that tops it in all of film history. So I went, and now prepared, found it more acceptable. I think part of the problem is that the sequence is excruciatingly long and the song is buried in the mix (and that would probably be the fault of the modern recreation and not a reflection upon the original preview screening necessarily). There's something like 15+ shots of vines bursting out of brick walls for example. 5 would probably be excessive. And they're mixed in throughout when the totality of damage is being increased you're cutting to just "another wall" being compromised. It stops the natural flow of escalation. I'm half tempted to try a fan edit of it myself.

Anyways, this is an absolute favorite of mine and I already watched it once this year after the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN! It was great seeing it in the theater. It's funny but kinda sad how people just laugh because Bill Murray's on screen. So many great visuals in framing, clever cuts, brilliant transitioning. A real smart production by Oz that must have been well thought out from the beginning. There were lots of little details that popped out at me. I could tell now one EFX shot that's always impressed me had used forced perspective rather brilliantly; I had not guessed that on my home TV. So it was great fun and I'm glad I checked this out instead of my usual Dracula/Frankenstein/Bride triple feature.

[​IMG]

Well that's it. Hope everyone enjoyed their October and had a blast on Halloween. Funny enough after posting Adams Family GIFs earlier I ended up watching a marathon of them on Cozy TV instead of my usual MST3k during Trick r' Treat hours. I fell short of the movie a day challenge, and once off the wagon it took a few more tumbles before staying back on. But my heart was in the right place, honest!

[​IMG]

01 10/01 Vampira Presents, The Thirteenth Guest (1932)
    02 10/01 Dead of Night (1945)
    03 10/02 The Queen of Spades (1949)
    04 10/03 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Devil Doll (1964/1997)
    05 10/03 Night of the Demon (1957)
    06 10/04 Paul Naschy Presents, Vengeance of the Zombies ( La Rebelión de las Muertas ) (1973)
    07 10/05 Alucarda, the daughter of darkness ( Alucarda, la hija de las tinieblas ) (1977)
    08 10/06 Tales from the Hood (1995)
    09 10/07 Svengoolie Presents, The Wolf Man (1941)
    10 10/07 William Friedkin Presents, The Exorcist (1973)
    11 10/08 Legion ( Exorcist III) (1990) [Director's Cut]
    00 10/09
    00 10/10
    12 10/11 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Soultaker (1990)
    13 10/12 One Dark Night (1982)
    14 10/13 Friday the 13th (1980) [96 Minute Uncut Version]
    15 10/13 Friday the 13th, Part 2 (1981)
    16 10/14 Svengoolie Presents, Duel (1971) [Svengoolie]
    17 10/14 Rifftrax Presents, The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
    18 10/14 Friday the 13th, Part 3 (1982)
    19 10/14 Friday the 13th, The Final Chapter (1984)
    00 10/15
    20 10/16 Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror ( Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens ) (1922) [theater w/ live organist]
    21 10/17 Michael J. Nelson Presents, a Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presentation of, Boggy Creek II: and the Legend Continues (1985)
    00 10/18
    22 10/19 Rifftrax Presents, House on Haunted Hill (1959)
    23 10/20 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Bride of the Monster (1955)
    24 10/20 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Corpse Vanishes (1942)
    25 10/20 Rifftrax Presents, Voodoo Man (1944)
    26 10/20 Rifftrax Presents, Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)
    27 10/21 Svengoolie Presents, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)
    28 10/21 Mystery Science Theater 3000 Presents, Zombie Nightmare (1987)
    29 10/21 Creepshow (1982)
    30 10/22 Ben Mankiewicz Presents, Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)
    31 10/23 Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
    32 10/24 Salem's Lot (1979)
    00 10/25 Mike, Bill & Kevin Presents, a Rifftrax Live! Presentation of, Norman Gives a Speech (1989) [theater]
    33 10/25 Mike, Bill & Kevin Presents, a Rifftrax Live! Presentation of, Night of the Living Dead (1968) [theater]
    34 10/26 Martin (1978)
    35 10/27 Frankenstein vs. Baragon ( Furankenshutain tai chitei kaijû Baragon ) (1965) [93 Minute International Version]
    00 10/27 Frankenstein (1910)
    36 10/27 Frankenstein (1984)
    37 10/28 Svengoolie Presents, Tarantula (1955)
    38 10/28 The Werewolf and the Yeti ( La Maldición de la bestia ) (1975)
    39 10/28 Svengoolie Presents, The Brides of Dracula (1960)
    40 10/28 The Hunchback of the Morgue ( El Jorobado de la Morgue ) (1973)
    41 10/29 Paul Naschy Presents, Exorcism ( Exorcismo ) (1975)
    42 10/30 Paul Naschy Presents, Horror Rises from the Tomb ( Espanto surge de la tumba, El ) (1973)
    42 10/30 Paul Naschy Presents, Night of the Werewolf ( El Retorno del Hombre-Lobo ) (1980)
    43 10/31 Frank Oz Presents, Little Shop of Horrors (1986) ["Intended Version"] [theater]

[ 44x 2007 | 56x 2008 | 63x 2009 | 33x 2010 | 42x 2011 | 77x 2012 | 47x 2013 | 47x 2014 | 56x 2015 | 48x 2016]

Workshed and othervoice1 like this.
  20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Love that screencap from Night of the Werewolf (1980)!