The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I probably won't watch movies till this weekend. But I started the Halloween month with a horror tv show.

Channel Zero No End House - Episode 2

[​IMG]

I created a topic on Channel Zero last week here:

http://horrordvds.com/community/threads/channel-zero-anthology-series-on-syfy.48370/

It's more Twilight Zone in this episode and still good. It's like that episode I mentioned in a recent post for another TV show without spoiling it here.

I like the one girl saying we should be terrified. So many times in horror movies and shows when crazy things are happening we don't see characters actually saying that when they realize that there is something really wrong no matter if on the surface things seem fine. And with the end reveal scenes we see there is something very dangerous about this world. I'm looking forward to seeing this show every week.

2. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

5. The texas chainsaw massacre (1974)
    watched the first two in the series to get me in the mood for watching leatherface. Still as effective and scary after all these years, the last twenty minutes of the movie seems to go on for an hour , its that gripping and horrifying. 5/5

6. The texas chainsaw massacre 2 (1986)
    Finally opened my arrow special edition to give this a spin. A lot more dark humour than the original and feels like a totally different film but still has a few great scares and could have just watched a movie of the sawyers bickering and cooking their prime beef chilli. 4/5

7. Leatherface (2017)
    First time viewing. Could not get into this at all, dont know if it was a mistake watching the first two films before this one. this film fealt like a poor Rob Zombie film. swap Sawyers for Fireflys and it felt like a poor take on devils rejects. Leatherface did not need a origin tale, like all good horror icons , they are far more scary when left to being a force of nature. 1.5/5

8. It (2017)
    First time viewing. Finally got round to seeing this last night at my local cinema. i was expecting a letdown since the hype levels for this film were through the roof but got to say i loved it. Definately a stranger things vibe coming from it and also great performance from the cast all round. Cant wait for the sequel. 4.5/5

a

3. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I've been wanting to check this series out. The first season is out on DVD (not sure if it's on Bluray as well). Might give it a shot.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

October 1st

Luckily, I was on flight from LA to London, so I had enough time for a triple-feature!

Colossal (2016)
    [​IMG]

I love Anne Hathaway and read good things about this. And yet. And yet. I kept waiting for it to unveil itself as something more. Instead, Anne retreads her alcoholic territory (she fared much better in Rachel Getting Married), but this time...for laughs? Tonally, this film was all over the place, and Sudeikis' portrayal was never once believable; he is a one-note actor. And the reveal was a let-down. And this was shit.

The Belko Experiment (2016)

[​IMG]

James Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy) wrote this fantasy about the excuse to fucking kill all your shitty coworkers, and for a while, it works. There's a great cast, a fun premise, gore, and a plot that clips along. But then the plot needs to start answering its own questions and it all falls down. It's a great movie to watch on a plane, as it's inconsequential and quick.

Train to Busan (2016)
    [​IMG]

Zombies on a train! This and Snowpiercer have made a great case for why trains are terrible. Living in London, you really are at the mercy of other people's hygiene when traveling on the tube, and let me tell you, people are gross. This movie did not dispel any of my beliefs and it was easily the best of the three films I watched yesterday. Here, the zombies are fast-moving and hungry and while the train setting was an excellent choice for a zombie film, I though the dread and heightened sense of terror was best realized when the cast was in the train station. The sheer number of zombies freaked me out. But back on the train, things got repetitive pretty quickly. Yet, the filmmakers threw in some new details about zombie lore that made for fun set pieces later on.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 2nd
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3) House on Willow Street: It doesn’t get much worse than this (I hope). As far as demonic possession films go, this is one of the most boring I’ve ever sat through. The first hour dwells mostly on following each individual character as they roam around aimlessly by themselves and occasionally something spooky happens. I liked how they used a lot of practical effects because the CGI that was peppered in was atrocious. By the time we get any sort if explanation as to the “what” and “why” to things are happening we are an hour into the film. Throw in one of the worst exorcisms put to film and an ending that reminded me a bit of “Night of the Demons” and you get this disaster. (3/10)

4) Demonic: I thought this was slightly better than “House on Willow Street” but not by much. I liked the pin-ponging between the past and present that added a bit of intrigue to the narrative, but everything else isn’t worth a damn. The bad acting, the underdeveloped and one-dimensional characters, the poor CGI, and a frustrating finale that all adds up to a pretty forgettable film. (4/10)

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2nd - October Madness No.3 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 2 - LADY'S CHOICE: A murderess on the hunt.

[​IMG]

Werewolf Woman (1976) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    Combining Eurosleaze with a fairly studious pathology/psychologically inclined police procedural makes Werewolf Woman a unique beast; and not just for the fact that it's one of the first movies to feature a female werewolf but the fact.

2nd - October Madness No.4 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 2 Part 2 - LADY'S CHOICE: A murderess on the hunt.

[​IMG]

Curtains (1982) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    Despite a problematic shoot with plenty of re-shoots and a story that doesn't always make sense (the first 20 mins and last 15 mins were shot without original director Richard Ciupka's involvement, hence the film being credited to John Vernon's director character Jonathan Stryker), Curtains is a fun slasher/Canadian 'giallo' playing off the tension of film production (specifically pre-production and the process of slashing out the weakest links to find the right part for a role - in itself a kind of slasher) that's got plenty of charm and memorable set-pieces.

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

October 2nd

Don't Kill It - Dolph Lundgren hunts a demon that jumps around from body to body. If you kill the person who is possessed, you become possessed. This is fairly derivative stuff, but Dolph seems to be having a hell of a time here though so this is still quite fun.

Evil In Us - This starts off with an absolutely goddamn awful song called Big Beast Eat Little Beast that was so bad I actually muted the TV until the credits were over. For some reason I thought this was a movie about demonic possession, but it's about some government created form of Super Cocaine that makes you go apeshit and kill everything. This is another pretty derivative "possession" movie, but certainly watchable enough. Sure most of the characters are obnoxious dildos, but that's expected in a "friends in a cabin" horror film like this. The gore is pretty well done, very vicious kills with faces torn up, legs snapped off and plenty of guts eaten, but it takes a weird political turn at the end that I felt came off pretty goofy opposed to the biting satire they were going for.

Silent Rage with Rifftrax commentary - Not sure this quite counts as horror, but I think it's more slasher than not, so I'm counting it. This is an odd movie, it alternates between being a slasher, a Chuck Norris karate movie, and a comedy with Flounder from Animal House eating and being an idiot in every scene because he's a fat idiot. One of those movies where a nutzoid scientist takes an already aggressive person - in this case an axe murderer - and experiments to make him invincible as well. Why? Because. How could this backfire? Oh, he gets loose immediately and kills everybody. That makes sense. Probably should've seen that coming. The Rifftrax commentary was quite funny and made this goofy movie even more fun than it already was.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  8. Workshed

9. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

9. Return of the living dead 3 (1993)
    Got my monthly haul delivered today which included these two Vestron video classics newly released in the uk. Darker and more serious than the first two films , how far will we go when we love somebody is something we can all relate too. This is where the series stops for me cheap cash ins not worthy of the name for parts 4 and 5. 3.75/5

10. Waxwork (1988)

This release only had the first film compared to both films in the u.s version. A different take on house of wax with bunch of entitled teenage twats invited to a midnight showing at a waxworks to be victims for the return of monsters to take over the world. Found it hard to relate or root for the teenage victims, the real fun came in the little homages to classic films and the crazy last twenty minutes. Genre favs David Warner , John Rhys-Davies and Patrick Macnee give this film a little touch of class. 3.5/5

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

1st October:

Zombie (2017)

It's produced by George Romero's son Cameron and stars Tony Todd, stay away, it's awful, terrible script, terrible acting, crap CGI gore, downbeat ending made me smile, but was too little too late. 1 out of 5

Wish upon - unrated edition (2017)

Was hoping the unrated version would have some good and gory death scenes, NAH! It's final destination lite, if this was the unrated cut, the pg13 version must have been death free, you know what to expect going in, it was ok, would not view it again. 2 out of 5

Jackals (2017)

A murderous cult want their member back afters he's been kidnapped by his family hoping to convert him back to his sane ways.
    It's ok, there are a few plot holes here and there, but it was nicely shot in a few scenes, seen worse 2.5 out of 5.

11. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

The Burning (blu)

Such a fun slasher. Definitely one of my favorites from the 80s. Looks fantastic in HD.

Cult of Chucky (blu)

I really liked this. The story was a little all over the place, but help my fuck did it deliver in the gore department. By far the bloodiest Chucky flick to date. I can understand some not loving it, but I had a lot of fun with it.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Gonna have to give this a re-watch this season. Oddly enough, I seem to recall the last one being my favorite. I did want to delve into all the extras based on some glowing reviews here, but never got a chance. It's been so long since I saw it, I'd better see it again before I do hit up the extras.

hulkyduck, Gore Lunatic and indrid13 like this.
  13. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 2nd-

Manged to sneak in The Omen remake before bed last night. It wasn't bad. Just unnecessary. Had a few too many cheap scare scenes. But it looked nice. And the cast was great. David Thewlis did his best David Warner impression. Mia Farrow was great as the creepy nanny. And I was pleased to see Giovanni Lombardo Radice in it.

14. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Sitting down to the 4K Night of the Living Dead restoration in less than 3 minutes.

hulkyduck, Colin, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #3:
    House of Wax (1953)
    First time viewing (Blu-ray, 2D version)
    *** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    3. THE BIG 3: Watch anything with Boris Karloff, Vincent Price or Christopher Lee. Or combo up, c’mon now.

Enjoyed this one, but I think Price's revenge pictures were perfected in the 70s with the Phibes films and Theatre of Blood.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    hulkyduck, maskull, Colin and 8 others like this.
  17. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 3

6. The Evictors (1979) Blu- Decided to crack tis one open for a rewatch. Had watched this possibly last year on the bonus DVD that I think came with 'The Town that Dreaded Sundown' (If I remember correctly), A little slow, but not too bad. Thought is worth having in the collection in the upgraded format and does star Jessica Harper from 'Suspiria'.

7. Firestarter (1984) Blu- I picked up Scream Factory's release of this a bit back. Thinking back, I'm not sure I had even watched this since back when it was a new release. Enjoyed it and it was almost like watching it for the first time again due to going so long without a viewing. I remembered the premise of the movie, just not much about the details, Good revisit.

8. The Mummy's Tomb (1942) Blu- Dove back into my Legacy blu set to finish the nights viewing. Not my favorite of the Mummy films, but decent nonetheless. The shortest so far as well clocking in at 1 hour.

Back tomorrow!

18. Workshed

Oct. 3rd

Curtains (1983)

[​IMG]

Great premise: woman fakes being insane to have herself committed to research a role. The only other person who is aware is the casting director/her lover, Stryker. This alone could have been a solid horror film, but then it goes in a different direction, only tangentially referencing the opening amidst a fairly rote slasher plot. I will give Curtains this: it has a awesome mask for its killer. And I really enjoyed the final reveal. Other than that, it was by-the-numbers, with the most boring attempts at titillation and almost no gore.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  19. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

The Mummy (2017) BD
    World War Z BD

[​IMG][​IMG]

Despite all the hate for the new Mummy movie, I decided to check it out anyway. I was expecting a mindless big budget popcorn summer Hollywood movie and well, I got exactly that. The film in my opinion wasn't all that bad, it just wanted to show too many things at once and needed to focus more on the actual Mummy. Sofia Boutella looked great as the Mummy but was too one dimensional. I think they could have done a lot more with her Mummy character emotionally. I actually like Tom Cruise as an actor and thought he did just fine in this. The film looked great visually and the effects were fine as well, the story was just lacking. Nothing really special about this Dark Universe so far.
    World War Z is another big budget Horror movie but this one is actually good. I like how the film takes place in different parts of the world, it gives it more of a global epidemic feel rather than just confined to one city or country. I also like the fact that the film isn't afraid to call them Zombies instead of using some other term. Brad Pitt does an excellent job in this as well.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.
  20. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Have you found a decent presentation of THE HITCHER (1986) or did you watch the old crappy DVD.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.