The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

You're a braver man than I. The title alone is enough to make me run shrieking in terror from the video store. Can't even anticipate this one being in the "so bad its good" category.

Tell me there was at least an underwater zombie scene, with shark.

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oct 4th-

Last night's double dose of Fulci. Both films have grown on me the more I see them. At first they really didn't do anything for me. But I've come to enjoy them both.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, Angelman and 3 others like this.
  3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

No such luck. No real interesting zombie match ups at all.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/3/17

PLEASE BE KIND & REWIND: VHS HORROR DOUBLE FEATURE

THE PREY (1980)
    SUPERSTITION (a.k.a. THE WITCH) (1982)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Both of these films were first time viewings & both from VHS to DVD copies. The Prey was filmed in 1980, but not released until 1984. A group of young people are stalked by a monster while camping in The Rockies. The film certainly felt abridged & as it turns out, I watched the 80 minute cut. Apparently there is a full 95 minute version somewhere. Pretty light on gore for a slasher - obviously due to the cuts in this edited version. Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester from the 60's Addams Family) has his final film role playing a Forest Service Ranger. Here is another Addams Family connection: Carel Struycken (Lurch from the 1990's Addams Family movies along with playing The Giant & The Fireman in Twin Peaks) is the monster in cheap makeup. Too much stock footage of nature & forest critters. The Prey also blatantly lifts a very familiar musical cue from the soundtrack to Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Still would like to see the entire film. Hoping for a legitimate Blu-ray release with the additional 15 minutes intact.

Superstition concerns a family that moves into a very creepy old house that not too many people would choose to live in. Sometimes you should judge a book by its cover as this house is haunted by a vengeful witch executed roughly 300 years earlier. Some effective locations here - said house & a pond nearby provide plenty of creepy moments. Pretty high body count with some unusual deaths. Whichever studio has the rights to this film should get this out on Blu-ray. The VHS was from Lightning Video by the way.

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 7 others like this.
  5. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

11. House of dracula (1945)
    Opened up my Wolfman blu ray collection to watch a couple of movies. Only missing the mummy to have a full house of classic universal monsters in it. This is my favorite of the two 'house of' films. Lon Chaney Jr. is my favorite actor from all the universal series as he plays Lawrence Talbot as a sympathetic tortured soul and feel he is the easiest to relate too in all their films. Dont think universal can capture the magic of these old classics with their remakes. 4/5

12. Werewolf of london (1935)
    Only the second time ive seen this and i cant remember enjoying this as much as i did on the first watch. I dont think think this is a well thought of as the wolfman because the character of Wilfred Glendon came off as a bit of a asshole and not as sympathetic and relatable as Lawrence Talbot, other than that i thought it was a good film , not great but very enjoyable. 3.75/5

maskull, Rocker10, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  6. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 5
    [​IMG]
    Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)

7. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 5th: The Sleeping Car, The Midnight Meat Train, Horror Express

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #5:
    The Mist (2007)
    Rewatch (Blu-ray, Black & White Version)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    5. DESATURATED VISIONS: A black and white version of an otherwise color movie.

Love this b&w version. Makes awkward performances feel right at home and covers up some very iffy CGI. The only way to watch the movie for me.

hulkyduck, indrid13, maskull and 3 others like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/4/17

BEYOND THE GATES (2016)

[​IMG]

After their eccentric father has been missing for several months, two brothers who are radically different personalities take up their own investigation. Dad owned an old school VHS rental store. Starting their search here, the brothers alternate between cataloging the video inventory & checking out their father's personal belongings. Among these items is an esoteric VHS board game called "Beyond the Gates." This game may have something to do with Dad's disappearance.

Viewer patience may be tested as this film starts off on the slow side. Things pick up as the characters start playing the game & some unexpectedly over-the-top gore arrives in the final third. The action does not go too far when crossing into the otherworld "Beyond the Gates" - however the budget was extremely low. Some retro flavored synth rock appears on the soundtrack. Best of all though would be the performance of Barbara Crampton. Her character is both eerie & mysterious. More screen time from her would have been appreciated. Look for a quick cameo from the 1973 film Messiah of Evil playing in the rental store.

Not for all tastes, but harmless entertainment for the season.

hulkyduck, indrid13, maskull and 5 others like this.
  10. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 5

Was able to get 3 in today.

10. Children of the Corn (1984) Blu- Been many moons since I watched this. I got in on the very cheap pre-order price at Amazon. That was a heck of a deal as this is an Arrow release. Had seen this before, but a very long time ago.

11. After Midnight (1989) Blu- Had never seen this one, but sounded interesting so I ordered. Liked the concept and found it kept my attention. I am still amazed at how many of these titles I have not scene. They keep popping up. I do remember a good video store would have a healthy sized collection on the walls of rentals of this genre. I definitely missed quite a few. Having fun discovering all of these as time goes on.

12. The Mummy's Ghost (1944) Blu- Still working my way through the recent Mummy Legacy Blu set. More Lon Chaney. This one looks good as the others did in the set as far as quality goes. Fairly short movie and typical of the Mummy films.

Excited to really dig in this weekend. Been a long week.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, indrid13, maskull and 5 others like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Good day for horror! I also got Children of the Corn at that unbelievable price. Plan to watch that later in the month. After Midnight was a blind buy for me as well. I will probably watch it next week. The trailer looked good to me. Glad to hear some more positive feedback on this movie.

hulkyduck, Rocker10 and indrid13 like this.
  12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

10/5

Popcorn (Synapse Blu)

Glad I didn't spring for the Steelbook, but glad I picked up the standard release. The movie has this not-always-successful balance of stylized performance/execution and horror that keeps it from having tension but makes for a unique vision. It's nothing if not memorable, even if the killer is ultimately pretty lame. Jill Schoelen is cute with a great voice and it was nice to see some 80s regulars pop up.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 5 others like this.
  13. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 5th

The Descent (2005)

[​IMG]

So, my gf wanted to watch a "cerebral horror film" last night, and I totally fucked up and suggested we watch The Descent. I remember Sarah's trauma playing a much larger role in the film and was convinced I was right when her pills were shown twice--especially when she left them behind before their spelunking adventure. Nope! Ha ha. This is a full-on, literal, attack-by-Gollums horror film. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. The lighting is incredible, rich with reds; the blacks are used very well in relation to the creatures, and even the shaky-cam footage works for great jump-scares. The performances are restrained and believable (why did none of these actors go on to do anything else, aside from a sequel? By the way, there is a sequel? Ha ha, will pass), the creature effects are downright nasty, and the sounds! The sounds are integral to the entire film's horror. Being in the UK, we were treated to the UK ending, which I prefer. My viewing partner was not as impressed, citing its gratuitous gore as "silly" and calling out its lack of psychological elements (which was my fault). Fine, fine. We're not gonna break up...yet.

So, I need help, please! My gf prefers horror films like The Shining, Let the Right One In, and The Others. I plan to show her The Changeling (1980), The Orphanage, and The Babadook. Any further suggestions?

14. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 5th: The Great Alligator

"The great god of the river has been aroused," Barbara Bach explains, hinting at a horny aquatic deity. Said deity has taken the form of a crocodilian (either a crocodile or an alligator), realised via unspectacular creature effects. The head itself doesn't look too bad when we see it up close during attacks, but when we see the whole animal in the underwater shots, it looks like some floatation device being pulled through the water, limbs jutting out stiffly. The attacks are mostly quick cuts, and we don't really get to see any crocodilian-inflicted damage. The beast also seems able to teleport, abandoning an attack on Bach, who is tied to a raft, only to pop up miles away in the blink of an eye and attack a party boat. Who knows? Maybe it is a god. The cast consists of faces familiar to genre fans, including an unfortunate case of gratuitous child thespianism. All this may sound like I didn't like the movie, but I actually found it to be a mostly enjoyable viewing experience. It may not be strong enough for repeat viewings, but fun enough for an October evening. Obviously, Alligator (1980) did the whole giant crocodilian better, as did the 1979 Thai horror Chorake, which Synapse announced on Blu last year.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  15. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

You know what......my wife isn't into horror, doesn't like the blood and guts, but she is a big fan of the Shining. You know what flick she really dug that I showed her a couple years ago? In the Mouth of Madness.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

thank you.

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #6:
    The Mangler (1995)
    First time viewing (Vudu)
    * (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    6. ESTATE SALE: A story about possessed possessions and other haunted furniture.

Used this opportunity to check out a Tobe Hooper film I’d never seen and it’s definitely the craziest Stephen King adaptation out there. Your enjoyment will depend entirely on if you think it’s funny and I didn’t.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  18. Colin

Colin Member

October 5th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9) Gerald’s Game: Leave it to Stephen King to take a simple premise like being chained to a bed and turning it into something so rich and rewarding. The lead actress did a fantastic job, not only carrying the film, but making you care about her wellbeing and safety. The supporting cast did a great job as well and Mike Flanagan’s approach to King’s work really came across well. I will admit there is a certain level of suspension of disbelief you have to take into account, which didn’t bother as much as some others who have seen it, and the ending is a bit too much, but I found this to be a satisfying experience from start to finish. (7/10)

10) Intruder: A safe, copy & past stalk and slash film. The story was so uninteresting and dry I couldn’t wait for it to end. You have a multitude of red herrings which don’t add up too much, a lack of tension thanks to the poor direction, and a series of never ending and boring scenes of dialogue. The banality in presentation and execution is this film’s biggest crime. This is the type of slasher movie your mom would love. (2/10)

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

5th - October Madness No.8 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 5 - DESATURATED VISIONS: A black and white version of an otherwise colour movie.

[​IMG]

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 4/5
    Wow! I don't know if I can ever watch this movie (or the first Hellraiser film) in colour ever again. For the Scarecrow challenge for this day we had to crank the saturation fully down on a colour movie and so I thought the Hellraiser films might look interesting since they tend to have good play between light and shadow and their overall vibe, atmosphere, and gruesomeness would probably translate well to a lack of colour but I was not ready for how fucking well this movie would actually work sans colour! I would have chosen the original but I had seen it fairly recently and hadn't seen this sequel in some time, plus it has the flashbacks anyway so I can still see how that film would look - but FUCKING WOW, this/these movie(s) looks absolutely AMAZING in black and white! Tony Randel's direction and Robin Vidgeon's cinematography and lighting are actually more apparent in their look and Hellbound really has a classic Universal/noir vibe in its execution and seems even more nightmarish and otherworldly. I'm a huge fan of this sequel, but the impact I had watching it again under these conditions was just jaw-dropping and as stated at the top of this post I may never watch the first two Hellraiser movies in colour ever again! I highly recommend next time you view these, give it a shot yourself and turn down the colour/saturation on your TV.

I've attached some extra photos I took on my phone while watching the movie to showcase the overall vibe and atmosphere of this unique viewing.

Attached Files:

Steel76, Rocker10, indrid13 and 6 others like this.
  20. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

13. The axe murders of villisca (2016)

First time Viewing. 3 supposed teen ghost hunters break into a haunted house to look for ghosts and end getting possessed and trying to kill each other. I Enjoyed the first half which built up the atmosphere and felt the characters were likeable and the filmmaker tried to make them more than one dimensional by giving them backstories that i found interesting. Then when the shenanighans started the film went slightly incoherent , i did not understand why the possessions were happening, there was no logic to the possessions and the teens were possessed then normal when the plot suited. Started off good with it's true crime premise but faded away to a forgetable end. 2/5