The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 04:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14) The Duplex (2015): Mainly interesting and worth watching because it's my first Nigerian horror movie, but this needed some serious editing. Dialogue is repeated ad nausea, things are told to people and then ten minutes later they're shocked when they're told the exact same thing, and there's a twist that defies any sense of logic. The basic story is pretty intriguing though, once you get down to it and there was at least one semi-creepy moment. Plus, I got a few laughs, probably unintentional, from some of the reactions to the ghost...it's Shaggy from Scooby Doo level stuff. I'm shocked no one ever uttered "It's a g-g-g-ghost!!!".

15) The Darkness (2016): The thing I learned from this is that perhaps Greg McLean should stick with non-supernatural movies. Then again, I'm not sure anyone could have made this any more exciting with such a rehashed story that ahs been done better countless times before. I guess the Autism thing was kind of new, but really it was only there for a "pay off" right at the end of the movie.

16) POD (2015): This tortures you with a lot of yelling for much of its runtime by having the characters scream and argue with each other and a supposed PTSD sufferer doing the usual grab his head/crazy laugh/repeat everything he says thang. It's pretty painful to get through. But there's a pretty nice surprise half way through and then a long, build up to a jump scare that signals a change in the movie and from then on things get better. Not great but better. The only problem is, they wasted so much time on the annoying part of the movie, it feels like the movie is just starting to ramp up when it ends. It wasn't a bad ending, just it was unexpectedly soon.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I just watched this for the first time a couple months ago myself. I love the guy but Robert Englund is so, so bad in this movie. That makeup and the accent, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

3. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 6
    [​IMG]
    Session 9 (2001)

hulkyduck, Colin, Angelman and 4 others like this.
  4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

One I watched recently that I really dug was Stoker.

hulkyduck, Workshed and maskull like this.
  5. indrid13

[​IMG]

Oct 5th-

Last night I watched King of Kong Island. An Italian film featuring no island and no Kong. Instead it features a beefy mercenary looking for revenge. A mad doctor turning apes into a mind controlled army. Because world domination. A sexy jungle girl. Some really cheesy ape costumes. And lots of jungle stock footage. It feels like one of Jess Franco's spy films, but cheesier and less arty. Not very good. But fun if you like bad movies.

Afterwards was in the mood for some TV show Halloween episodes. So put in Friday the 13th the series - Hellowe'en episode.

[​IMG]

hulkyduck, Workshed, Angelman and 6 others like this.
  6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

3. Cult of Chucky (Don Mancini, 2017)

upload_2017-10-6_22-1-49.jpeg

I didn't like Curse of Chucky very much. I don't remember much about it, just that the parts without Chucky were the highlights, and that his dialogue was awful. This one was better. Still not very good, but at least this one had some visually striking scenes. The winter setting was well used, and one death in particular was filmed in a way that was damn near beautiful. So I have to give it credit for that. The story wasn't bad, and Chucky's dialogue was a lot better, although I honestly don't know why we're supposed to care about any of what's going on. It was such a messy mash-up of old and new mythology and characters. And why the fuck can they not get Chucky to look right? He looks stupid - bloated and heavy in the cheeks - not scary. Maybe it's a sign that the craft really is dying, but the animatronics and puppetry in the original trilogy were vastly superior to what is on display here. As far as I'm concerned, the Child's Play series is three entries long. Nothing that came after the name change has been worth more than a single watch.

hulkyduck, Workshed, Angelman and 3 others like this.
  7. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 6

Just a couple today.

1. Phantasm (1979) Blu- I bought the two Well Go USA blu's a bit back and held on to them without watching until now. I always felt this was a bit of an odd movie, but well worth having due to its unique feel. I thought the transfer looked the best I had ever seen it. Will be checking out Ravager as well soon as I grabbed that one too.

2. The Mummy's Curse (1944) Blu- Okay movie and the fourth installment. I think the formula in these movies was a bit tired by this attempt. It has its place in history and I don't regret the purchase, but you could tell things had run there course. Movie looked great on Blu. Just one movie left in that set.

A few projects that have popped up that might hinder my watching this weekend, but hopefully things go smooth and I can crank out a fair number of movies. On to tomorrow!

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, Workshed, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  8. maskull

October 5:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17) We Are Not Alone (2016): A good starter film for a young Peruvian wanting to get into some real horror, but there is not a single original idea in the entire movie. It's competently made, but really generic. Honestly the only reason I even watched it after reading the synopsis is that it's a movie from Peru.

18) Honeymoon (2014): A movie that takes its time, building up, slowly giving out clues as to what the heck is happening. It would be better to watch this without spoilers to get the full effect of the reveal. You'll start to suspect eventually, and the characters don't know what's going on yet, but that's also kind of fun waiting for them to catch up.

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 4 others like this.
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

4. Evil Laugh (Dominick Brascia, 1986)

upload_2017-10-7_8-34-35.jpeg

This has been sitting unwatched on my shelf for what must be more than 5 years. I was sure it would be terrible. But in the interest in watching something completely new, I finally put it on last night and...it's actually pretty good. It has a real shot on video feel to it, even though I don't think it actually was. Maybe it's a cinematography issue, I'm not sure. It's like a group of people with absolutely no money hung out in the director's parent's house and made a movie over a single weekend. Like not only was it filmed in sequence, but it was edited in the camera. That kind of DIY type of film-making. And yet...it has this self-awareness and humour that pre-dates Scream by a decade! It plays with genre cliches and subverts them in a way that is incredibly fresh and entertaining. And you get the feeling that the entire thing was meticulously planned. Like the people who made it had a crystal clear idea of what they wanted to do. The weakest link is probably the fact that the majority of the deaths take place in the last 20 minutes. But when they happen, they are surprisingly gory. What a pleasant surprise. I will definitely be holding on to this, because I am going to want to watch it again.

Oh, and it's directed by Joey from Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning!

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Movie #7:
    Bubba Ho-Tep (2003)
    Rewatch (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    **** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    7. SHOW ME THE MUMMY: A riches to rags story.

Wanted to watch this again after reading Bruce Campbell’s latest autobiography “Hail to the Chin”. I still like it, but not as much as I used to. I enjoy the performances and the writing, but the editing drives me nuts. I guess they thought they had to spice up a slow story that takes place at an old folk’s home, but I personnally find it distracting.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 5 others like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If you like this, don't miss Hard Rock Nightmare. Same filmmakers, but I like it better!

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

6th October

Zombie flesh eaters - Not seen this for an age, it's not as good as I remember, but still an enjoyable zombie flick, great gore and great print from arrow. 3.5 out of 5

7th October

Better Watch Out (2016)

It's like an adult version of 'home alone', it's very enjoyable, it gets kind of nasty, has a satisfying conclusion. Really good. 4 out of 5

13. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 6th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11) It Stains the Sans Red: The concept of this film is better than the final product. Sure, the idea behind one person trying to out run a single threat – in this case, a zombie – has a lot of potential, and some that showed here in bursts, but I was left underwhelmed. The lead actress (Brittany Allen) did a good job playing the “Hooker with a Heart of Gold” architype, and as the plot unfolds you grow to like her once her true colors show. The film is really bogged down by the lack of budget and so-so acting from the supporting cast and the weak final act really brings this film down a few notches. (5/10)

12) Viral: A real bore for an infection film if I ever saw one. The plot takes way too long to build, and with a runtime that is under 90 minutes that is unacceptable. I enjoyed and liked the cast of characters, but the slow pace and lack of any real tension or action kills the atmosphere. At the end of the day, what you get is a cheap, sci-fi drama that is dressed up as a horror thriller. Just skip this and rewatch “28 Days Later”. (4/10)

14. indrid13

[​IMG]

Oct 6th-

Went with this double bill. Both are very enjoyable. Barbara Steele is always great and very gorgeous in Terror-Creatures. And Bloody Pit of Horror is a groovy hoot.

[​IMG]

15. maskull

October 06:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19) Horror House on Highway Five (1985):
    A movie made by some crazy kids who had no idea how to make a proper film but didn't let that stop them...or maybe they didn't care to make a proper film. This has the feeling of friends sitting around, coming up with the funniest/craziest/goofiest things they can think of and heading out to film it...only to find out they don't have the money and equipment (and perhaps skill) to do 90% of what they wanted and just changed directions midstream towards the cheaper and usually more bizarre (and fun!!!) option. I laughed a lot, I grooved to the tunes, and I had to stop and try to remember if the thing happening on screen had anything to do with the plot(???) of the movie, and then just gave up and enjoyed the ride.

20) Scream (1996): I was really tired. Too tired to watch anything new. So I went with this classic. And I enjoyed it as usual. Even after watching it at least two times every year!

hulkyduck, Workshed, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 6TH: Carrie, Carrie (2002), Carrie (2013), The Rage: Carrie 2

OCTOBER 7TH: Jackals, Friend Request

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

8th October

Rumpelstiltskin - 1995

Found it on Netflix thought I'd give it a go, it was ok, not great, cheap and cheerful, I think more bourbon would have helped! 2 out of 5

hulkyduck, Workshed, indrid13 and 4 others like this.
  18. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I own this on VHS. Movie is a riot. The scene where he's riding the motorcycle is worth your 90 minutes alone LOL I haven't seen in years, I may have to throw it in one night this month.

19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

October 7
    [​IMG]
    Gerald's Game (2017)

[​IMG]
    Cult of Chucky (2017)

hulkyduck, maskull, indrid13 and 3 others like this.
  20. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Halloween 3

[​IMG]

I normally reserve the Halloween flicks till the week of the 31st, but I've just been itching to finally see these in HD.

Season of the Witch has grown on me throughout the years........slightly. It's still not a favorite of mine but there's still a lot to enjoy here. Tom Atkins specifically, of course.