The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 7

One week in and moving much slower this year. Life is too busy. Have some time off work later in the month. Will make it count.

15. The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake (1959) Blu- Enjoying quite a bit of the black and white stuff this year. Seen this movie before, but cracked it open on the recent Blu. Decent story and quality of blu was good.

16. Island of Terror (1966) Blu- Blind buy for me a bit back. Peter Cushing was part of the reason why. Okay movie with some goofy effects. Guess it was limitations of the technology at the time. Actually thought the effects in Four Skulls above were better, but the movie was entertaining in its own way. It's the kind of movie you throw on to watch casual while multitasking.

Really enjoying the reviews everyone. I do take the time to see what people are saying about the films as I am always looking for ideas. I love the classics as well as a lot of the 80's horror stuff. Keep it coming!

~Rocker10

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Gearld's Game tonight.

That scene. Especially if you don't know it's coming, right?

hulkyduck, maskull and indrid13 like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched it this afternoon, it was ok, a bit overlong in my opinion, that scene though was fucking horrible, put me of my lunch.

hulkyduck, indrid13 and Angelman like this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 7th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13) Little Evil: I really wanted to like this one, but the inconsistent plot and lazy script are this film’s worst enemies. On one hand it wants to be an 80’s comedy centered around a stepdad trying to connect with his stepson (think “Problem Child” meets “The Omen”) and on the other hand it tries to be a film about the impending apocalypse at the hands of the antichrist. Throw in one too many disposable, supporting cast members who come and go to only service plot convenience and you get a messy film. I did like the butch lesbian character who played the designated comedy relief, and there were a number of jokes that gave me a good laugh, but the ends didn’t justify the means. (5/10)

14) Cult of Chucky: Even though I enjoyed “Curse of Chucky” for what it’s worth, I wasn’t clamoring for yet another film in the “Child’s Play” Franchise. After sitting through this I wish Don Manchini would just put this series to rest. The death scenes in “Cult of Chucky” are easily some of the most forgettable in the franchise, and features the most uninteresting characters to boot. It was cool to see the Tiffany and Andy characters return, but their presence in the story only muddled the already inconsistent story. I also wasn’t too impressed with the visual style of the film, which was dull and grayish, and only made the atmosphere boring. (5/10)

hulkyduck, maskull, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  5. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

14. Night of the living dead (1968)
    I have not seen this in about 4 years and still in awe of how lost i get lost in this world George Romero created. I always go into a little world of my own, imagining what i would do in the Farmhouse if i was trapped. If you showed this to a horror fan who had not seen this film today and told them it was a new film , they would start reeling off the countless films this had ripped off. Gets better every time i see it 5/5

15. The Crazies (1973)
    I have enjoyed this more everytime i watch this , first time i saw this was 8 years ago and it did not connect with me but as i get older , watching the world get more insane while trying to stay sane ,this time watching ,it clicked and i really enjoyed .Like most of Romero's films this has got better with age. 4/5

16. Return of the living dead (1985)
    Watching NOTLD put me in the mood for to watch this. There is not many horror films that have as many memorable scenes and quotable lines as this. Funny , scary , great soundtrack and a good companion peace to Romero's trilogy 5/5

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Last night into this morning was the All-Night Horror Marathon at the New Beverly Cinema in Los Angeles. I made note of all the trailers (which gave clues as to what kind of secret feature you’d be watching) and short films that played and will make a big Letterboxd list in the near future containing everything. But for now here are the 6 films I watched at this very fun event.

[​IMG]
    Movie #8:
    Killer Party (1986)
    Rewatch (35mm)
    *** (out of 5)

This was one I just didn’t get upon my first viewing. I hated the double fakeout opening, I hated the attempts at humor, and I hated how it kept switching genres (slasher movie one minute, possession movie the next). Well I’m glad this was scheduled as part of The all-nighter cause it forced me to reevaluate the film and this time I had a lot of fun with it. The pristine print showed me a movie that isn’t afraid to go all over (and the infamous opening does a good job of setting that up) and I found the characters likeable and genuinely funny. Probably the biggest crowd pleaser of the night.

[​IMG]
    Movie #9:
    The Manster AKA The Split (1959)
    First time viewing (35mm)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    8. “IS THAT YOUR SPLEEN?”: A body horror best enjoyed on an empty stomach.

The black and white film for the night. I’m so happy something played that fit in with the day’s Scarecrow Video Challenge theme so I didn’t have to watch something else when I got back home. This was another surprisingly great looking print, but the film itself didn’t do a ton for me. It was at its most fun before the lead character transforms into a monster and he just turns into a philandering asshole.

[​IMG]
    Movie #10:
    Alone in the Dark (1982)
    Rewatch (35mm)
    *** (out of 5)

This print was in rougher shape than the previous two, but was the only one the New Bev was able to locate in the country. I enjoyed this one the last time I saw it and still feel the same way. The overacting of its villains and Pleasance’s doctor went over particularly well with the crowd. I still think the reveal involving the character of The Bleeder is a semi-cheat that takes advantage of how thinly the character’s allegiances are drawn in the early scenes.

[​IMG]
    Movie #11:
    It’s Alive (1974)
    Rewatch (35mm)
    ***1/2 (out of 5)

The bonafide classic for the night. A strange choice for a 2 AM movie, but the crowd was into it even though it has a slower, more dramatic pace. My favorite Larry Cohen film and something interesting to see again now as I have a baby due in December.

[​IMG]
    The Craving AKA Night of the Werewolf (1981)

I’m not counting the fifth film of the night in my month’s tally or giving it a rating because I was in and out throughout. I’ve never dived into Paul Naschy’s filmography and 4 in the morning was not the right time for me to do it. The only time I slept all night was during long stretches of this film and I got the impression that went for several others in the audience too.

[​IMG]
    Movie #12:
    The Vagrant (1992)
    Rewatch (35mm)
    *1/2 (out of 5)

The last film of the night went over like gangbusters with the crowd, but it’s not a favorite of mine. It was a good environment to see such a crazy movie, I just think the humor is too broad and doesn't work for me.

All in all the marathon was awesome. Even if you don’t love all the flicks, the trailers and shorts are a lot of fun and can sometimes be just as rare as the film prints to see. For example, we got to see Disciples of the Crow on 35 for probably the only time outside of film festivals when it was made back in the early 80s. The print we saw even had the title Children of the Corn on it, which was pretty cool. I highly recommend the event to those who can make it in the future.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    hulkyduck, maskull, Workshed and 8 others like this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

8th October (evening viewing)

Xtro 2 - The second encounter (1990)

I've just sold my xtro double bill DVD, ready for second sights blu ray remastered release next year. Before posting I thought I'd give part 2 a viewing, I'd only seen it once many years ago and hated it, we'll I didn't hate it this time, it's not brilliant, but I've seen worst

1.5 out of 5

The best thing about my viewing experience was the extra - 'xtro exposed' now this was fantastic, it's an interview with director Harry Bromley Davenport, man this bloke tells it as it is, he's not a fan of the first but boy does he hate the second, and he has some pretty scathing things to say about its star Jan Michael Vincent, he does not pull any punches here, great viewing!

hulkyduck, maskull, Rocker10 and 2 others like this.
  8. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 8

Finally, got some viewing time in. A total of 4 today.

17. The Wicker Man (1973) DVD- I bought the Anchor Bay wooden box years ago and don't ever remember watching this. I would have to go with calling this a first time view although I saw the remake years ago. To me, this film was a chore to get through. I know people like it, but between the oddity of everything and the constant bad folk music, I was just wanting it to end. I'll chalk it up to having a collector box and leave it at that. Only redeeming part was Britt Ekland. Oh well.

18. The Hearse (1980) Blu- Watched the recent Vinegar Syndrome disc which looks great. People either tend to like this movie or really not like it. I tend to like it myself. It may be a bit slow but I like the atmosphere.

19. The Amityville Horror (1979) Blu- Part os Scream Factory's set. I got in the mood for this one after watching The Hearse for some reason. Always felt this had good atmosphere as well and a decent amount of creep to it. Always liked the cast and felt the story kept you interested.

20. Amityville II: The Posession (1982) Blu- Well, If this was more of a standalone horror film, to me it would fair better. As an Amityville film it feels like it goes off of the rails a bit. Part of the Amityville set so what the heck. If I had to do a standalone purchase, I probably wouldn't.

So, it turned into a 50/50 day. It's still fun to dig in and re-evaluate films you've seen before.

~Rocker10

hulkyduck, othervoice1, Colin and 6 others like this.
  9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 8TH: The Autopsy of Jane Doe, The Witch

10. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Things tick up a notch with this batch, with a lost classic from the early made for cable era and an arguable new anthology gem. Ratings are out of ****.

10/5/17 - Blood Glacier (2013) **1/2
    At a glacial melt observation outpost, a group of scientists with their heads up their academic asses react to a strange new life form by putting their careers ahead of human extinction.

A newer take on the old concept of the small group under siege by weird monsters, with creepy critters somewhat undone by low budget effects both CGI and practical.

While some still ridiculously argue about climate change science, there is no argument about the science in this film. Its pure junk, making little sense even when it doesn't ignore its own rules. Combined with the actions of several characters, this is definitely a film to turn one's brain off to enjoy, which would be easier if the film didn't take itself so seriously and sometimes pretend it’s making a profound statement. Despite this, it is an entertaining spin of something weird, with distinctive monsters.

10/6/17 - Southbound (2016) ***
    An anthology of karmic payback set in a Southwest US desert.

First up, two men running from dark apparitions find they literally can't get away. Second, three stranded women hitch a ride with Hell's version of the Cleaver family. Third, a distracted driver tries to do the right thing and finds out no good deed goes unpunished. Fourth, a man goes Charles Bronson in a dusty town trying to rescue his long lost sister and finds she has other plans. Last, a family is terrorized in their home by invaders with very personal reasons for their intrusion.

The film doesn't dwell on spelling out the why, or filling in the blanks, or tying things up cleanly. Characters are dropped into their circumstances with little lead in, and sometimes exit with only partial closure. A secure enough scaffold of backstory is made to give the viewer some footing, then the movie runs with it leaving the rest for the viewer to contemplate - and in this rare case it works. The scenery and imagery is unnerving, visceral, and sometimes stunningly eerie. Any chance to question the connections between the stories, which vary from tightly linked to barely connected, or find full explanation for the events, is left in the desert dust as the movie briskly drags the senses over off the map trails. To be objective for others' consideration I knocked the rating a half star for being too flimsy with its exposition, but personally I don't need things spelled out when the presentation is this well done.

10/7/17 - The Taking of Deborah Logan (2014) **1/2
    Documentary footage style tale of a mother and daughter coping with the elder's Alzheimer's who find something more than just the disease is stealing her mind.

Starts as a rather effective and sometimes heartbreaking view of the soul shattering effects of the disease on self and family. Then becomes a rather formulaic yarn of unveiling evil from the past to deal with evil in the present, complete with twist ending that isn't telegraphed, its arrives by ghostly pony express long after you've watched the approach of its hoof kicked dust plumes.

Enough of the film works - the establishing story, the creepy images - to grudgingly give it a decent rating. Although I'm likely to lower it as time passes. The story just became too by the numbers, climaxing with a tediously overused digicam in the dark by shaky flashlight gimmick that had me close to pushing the fast forward button. Add in not one but *two* cameraman characters whose sole cinematic purpose was to be such total douche bags that the viewers could have a tangible target for their animosity, and this film grossly misses the potential of its concept despite some redeeming qualities.

10/8/17 - Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) ***1/2
    In post war Los Angeles where slinging spells is the norm, a gumshoe who doesn't is hired to obtain a grimoire everyone seems to be after. Untrustworthy dames, cynical cops, big time crooks and small fry cons join creatures of the night to complicate what could be the big score - or the end of the world.

Steeped in noir and arcana then served up tongue in cheek, this blast from the past is evidence HBO was making quality originals long before Game of Thrones. And along with sending quality like Carnivale (and Deadwood, and...) to an early grave, evidence they similarly sin when gems like this remain buried.

The effects are low budget but quite effective, the story a skillful mix of Bogart and Karloff. The cast is near perfect for their roles, with a script that makes nods to famous authors, films, and books yet manages to do tall justice to their quality. Add in scenes ranging from subversive (the virgin hunting a unicorn in the forest - then slaying it for sport) to the wicked social satire (the SoCal desert suburban sprawl housing project built by zombie labor), and I was left thinking this would be what happened if someone had yanked John Carpenter off the set of In The Mouth of Madness and told him instead to direct The Two Jakes.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Oct. 6th

Little Evil

[​IMG]

The bummer about this Netflix Original is that there is a good joke in here. The "evil child" subgenre could use a lampooning, and for about 30 minutes, Little Evil attempts just that, riffing on The Omen, The Shining, Poltergeist, etc. And it succeeds, with several funny beats where Adam Scott feels uncomfortable, only to turn and find his evil stepson staring at him while everyone else is oblivious. But then it just keeps on going, and there really isn't a plot to support it. At one point, about an hour in, after
    Scott and his stepson reconcile
    , I thought for sure this was over and that Netflix had wisely chosen to give this a quick runtime, but no. It kept going. And going! Why? WHY.

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 07:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21) Intruder (1989): The actual story is fine for a slasher movie and the cast is giving it their all but it's the kills that make this stand out. Eye trauma, decapitation, heads sawed in half, meat cleavers, meat hook through jaw....all done with buckets of blood and plenty of pizazz!!

22) 976-Evil (1988): Why isn't Stephen Geophreys in more horror movies? The guy is pretty much a horror icon thanks to Fright Night and he's great in this as the dorky kid with an overly religious (abusive) mom who gains the power of Satan, or some demon and gets revenge. Bloody revenge. With a lot of one-liners. It makes sense that this was directed by Robert Englund because it has a similar feel and humour to the A Nightmare On Elm Street movies.

23) Santo and the Vengeance of the Mummy (1971): There's a fun Lucha match at the beginning and then at some point Santo fights a jaguar in the jungle. The rest of the movie Santo doesn't do much except show up late after someone's been murdered by "The Mummy" (who I wasn't sure if it was a man in a mummy costume in the movie or if the mummy in the movie just looked like a man in a mummy costume because of the budget. You get me?) Eventually we get what we've been waiting for: Santo Vs The Mummy and it goes on a really long time and kind of overstays its welcome but it started out cool. And a final Lucha battle at the end and we're done.

24) The House of Clocks (1989): An interesting idea for a movie that is just too padded for runtime. Not as nightmarish as Fulci's "classics" and the gore is pretty weak as well making the ability to get lost in this world a little harder. Not a single likable character, I thought we were almost supposed to feel bad for the robbers (until the end) but they stuffed a cat in a plastic bag and let it suffocate...and killed some people as well...so screw them. The old couple were pretty evil too. Though I don't really know why. I guess the servant lady was innocent. Go servant lady!!!

25) Popcorn (1991): A loving tribute to schlock movies and the people who knew how to present them in fun and interesting ways. The movie slows to a crawl once the killer is revealed and his plan is brought into the light but the ending makes up for any dragging in the second half.

26) 100 Tears (2007): I liked the chemistry between the two investigative reporters chasing after a clown serial killer with over 100 kills, but to be honest they wouldn't be enough to keep this movie interesting. What does is all the beheadings, stabbings, eviscerations, splittings, and the copious amounts of blood used for each kill.

14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 8th-

Watched the theatrical cut of Alien last night. Didn't realize it was Sigourney Weaver's birthday till afterwards. Good timing I guess.

15. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

October 8th
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15) Axe Murders of Villisca: I’m pretty sure if you google “Shitty horror film” this will show up. Everything about this screamed cliché, boring and cringeworthy. It’s only made worse that the three lead characters are unlikable, and the pitiful attempts at shoehorning back story for each one to gain sympathy from the viewer doesn’t help much. Add in some generic haunted house scares, paint-by-numbers kills and you get this hot garbage. (2/10)

16) Havenhurst: An awkward and lame attempt at modernizing the legend of H.H. Holmes. “Havenhurst” tries hard to be clever, but only succeeds at being a poor imitation of “Saw”. The cheap death scenes – which are few and far between – and the lousy acting do nothing but work against this film. Add in a nonsensical plot twist towards the finale and you get a clunky slasher film like this one. I think with a little fine tuning to the script this could have been something descent. (4/10)

17) Dig Two Graves: It’s been a while since I’ve seen a Southern Gothic horror film, and too bad this wasn’t better. I thought the parallel stories were interesting on their own, but when trying to meld both into one film it came across sloppy. It was good to see Ted Levine, who is highly underrated as an actor, but he needed something more to work with. Overall this was descent, just nothing special. (6/10)

18) A Dark Song: I can say for sure this is one of the more refreshing supernatural horror films I’ve seen. Too many films in this subgenre rely on loud noises, CGI ghosts, and jump scares to make things scary. “A Dark Song” makes a bold move by doing none of that and sticking with a somber mood, quiet atmosphere, and subtlety. The highest praise I can give it, above all else, is the fantastic musical score that creeps under your skin. On the downside, I would say the pacing is a bit slow and the tension mounting between the two principle characters lacks in certain parts. In addition, you get a bizarre and whacky ending. Minor complaints aside, I’d say you should check this one out for sure. (7/10)

hulkyduck, Rocker10, Workshed and 4 others like this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I need to play catch up on this thread, at least with my viewings.

10/5/17

THE MANITOU (1978)

[​IMG]

The final film from director William Girdler - who also gave us: Grizzly, Day of the Animals, and Abby among others. San Francisco based sham psychic Tony Curtis wears a sorcerer's robe & paste-on moustache while reading tarot cards for rich little old ladies. Ex-girlfriend Susan Strasberg reaches out to him while dealing with a horrible growth that turns out to be a 400 year old evil entity. Enlisting the aid of South Dakota medicine man Michael Ansara, these dudes try to combat the dark forces with Shaman rituals and 1970's fashions.

As a long time fan of Girdler's work, it's hard to pick a favorite film. This one is definitely a contender. The Manitou goes off the rails at times, particularly during a Star Wars influenced (it was only a year after the first film after all) climax that needs to be seen to be believed. Very entertaining nevertheless. The old Anchor Bay DVD could use a Blu-ray upgrade.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 5 others like this.
  17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

6th - October Madness No. 9 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 6: ESTATE SALE: A story about possessed possessions and other haunter furniture.

[​IMG]

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (1977) Rewatch - Rating: 5/5
    George Barry's Death Bed is a bizarre, surreal, and engrossing slice of American underground that is chock full of unforgettable imagery and a film I absolutely adore. While more arty and adventurous and out there that most of the independent output of the time, Death Bed is a cult gem that should not be overlooked merely based on the absurd premise and title and more people need to dust it off and discover it.

6th - October Madness No. 10

[​IMG]
    Sweet Home (1989) - Rating: 2.5/5
    Released at the same time as the Capcom game of the same name, no one is exactly sure which is supposed to have come first - the movie or the game, but what we do know is that Sweet Home is a precursor for survival horror games to follow such as Resident Evil. This Japanese horror film involves a mansion with a curse, and a few gruesome kills and some cool practical effects from Dick Smith(!), but the run time drags on a bit as the story of a teen girl trying to unite her father with a lady he has interest in runs a but repetitive and long around the horror elements, but the tale of loss the film centres around wraps up in a rather sad and hearthbreaking ending involving the curse which was a refreshing way to tie up the film.

7th - October Madness No. 11 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 7: SHOW ME THE MUMMY: A riches to rags story.

[​IMG]

Wrestling Women vs. the Aztec Mummy (1964) - Rating: 2.5/5
    Women luchadoras get caught up in a mystery involving a bunch of doctors and archeologists looking for clues to unlock the mystery of an ancient tomb who are being pursued by some sort of Fu Manchu bad guy who wants to control everything. The film is light on horror, but chock full of hilarious dialogue and dubbing, women kicking the shit out of men, and in the final reel a creepy looking mummy who the girls must tag-team to take care of!

8th - October Madness No. 12 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 8: "IS THAT YOUR SPLEEN?": A body horror best enjoyed on an empty stomach.

[​IMG]

Body Melt (1993) Rewatch - Rating: 3/5
    Philip Brophy's Body Melt is a gooey, goopy, gruesome good time. Clearly inspired by the early works of Peter Jackson, this Australian horror comedy about a chemically unstable vitamin supplement that causes people to go mad and melt away in all sorts of manners might not be the most coherent story; involving an assortment of characters from outback inbred hillbillies to high-pitched voiced muscle men who are all in someway connected to the central plot (the script was based upon four short stories by Brophy, hence the random assortment of characters intertwining) but it's always bonkers, entertaining, and oh so splattery for those who love a gross-out body horror extravaganza!

8th - October Madness No. 13

[​IMG]

Fright House (1988) Rewatch - Rating: 2/5
    Fright House in an incomplete feature clocking in at only 57 minutes so it's not always coherent, consistent, or well made, but it does have Al Lewis as a police chief who's actually a vampire and the head of a devil worshipping cult trying to bring their Lord and Master to their plane of existence via a gateway on the property of a mysterious mansion. Meanwhile the bumbling and newly engaged police detective who's trying to solve the case of his brother's so-called-suicide begins to suspect other motives and tie things together and that's about as much story as you're given/need to enjoy this mess. Bad acting, terrible dialogue, upsidedown pentagrams, and more inhabit this fast-moving low-budget time waster that's got some cheap thrills and bare skin but not much else. But hey, can't complain too much with that short run time.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 7 others like this.
  18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Very entertaining indeed! At times spooky, at times ridiculous, but never boring - The Manitou definitely needs a Blu-ray release.

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

[​IMG]

The Mutilator

2nd time viewing, first on blu ray. 80s cheese in every possible definition. This one delivers from start to finish. Endless laughs, great kills...... stupid plot and shit acting? Yap.

I enjoyed this one in my recommended state of mind. Lit, 6 beers deep.....minimum.

"My philosophy......let's have some beer!"

hulkyduck, Workshed, Rocker10 and 7 others like this.
  20. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 9TH: The Forest, Don't Go In The Woods, Just Before Dawn, The Intruder

hulkyduck, indrid13, Rocker10 and 3 others like this.