The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread - Part 2017!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 25, 2017.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/6/17

THE BAT PEOPLE (a.k.a. IT LIVES BY NIGHT)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Released as The Bat People many years ago on DVD by MGM (part of the Midnite Movies line) & on Blu-ray this summer from Scream Factory. "Half Man, half bat, All terror!" reads the back cover of Scream's release. Doesn't exactly have the ring to it that Joe Dante's Matinee (1993) utilized for the MANT: "Half man, half ant, All terror!"

A biologist (Stewart Moss) & his wife (Marianne McAndrew) are in New Mexico on their honeymoon while the husband tries to fit in some fieldwork & research. During a cave tour of Carlsbad Caverns, the couple decides to get naughty & breaks away from the group tour. While playing around underground, Moss is bitten by a resident bat. With their honeymoon now royally fucked up, the guy is now doomed to become a homicidal beast.

There's no getting around some rather laughable acting from Moss while he deals with rabies & physical transformations. Unfortunately you don't get to see the fully transformed "BATMAN" in action all that much. Probably a cost cutting measure. What we do get to see (have to wait until near the end) looks good thanks to the makeup effects of Stan Winston - he also did the title monsters in the made for television film Gargoyles just two years earlier. Also set in the vicinity of Carlsbad Caverns. Michael Pataki is good as the Police Sergeant on the case who also has the hots for the wife on her honeymoon. Gargoyles is the better movie, but The Bat People is a pretty fun production from American International Pictures.

hulkyduck, Colin, indrid13 and 6 others like this.
  2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Random aside, good god some of the posters I've shared in my posts are huge. I rarely check the site on my desktop, on mobile they all looked fine. The main criteria I look for are clear images (Google has a lot of blurry posters), I didn't think you'd have to scroll through some of them. Sorry about that. Is there a way to include an image here on the forum that isn't a link to elsewhere on the web? And if not, is there a way to make sure I don't post anymore pics this gigantic?

hulkyduck and indrid13 like this.
  3. Rocker10

Rocker10 Well-Known Member

Day 9

21. The Mutilator (1983) Stream- Been trying to decide whether to grab the Arrow blu of this one. This was a first time watch for me and pretty much was right up my alley. Same recipe as many other 80's slashers. Probably will dive in and buy. Caught this one via Amazon Prime.

22. Phantasm II (1988) Blu-Really liked this follow up to the strange but classic original. You really have to pay attention to these movies. Have a bit more going on than your average flick. Haven't secured the third or fourth movie yet, but do have Ravager. Think I need to track down the two I am missing even if it's a stream before I dive into Ravager.

23. Manhattan Baby (1982) Stream-Another viewing via Prime. I've seen quite a few Fulci movies, but this one I don't think I had. Not strong in plot but typical of Italian made movies of the era. Being a Fulci fan, will probably grab this to satisfy the completionist in me.

24. Amityville 3-D (1983) Blu- You know, this movie looked like shit. I actually pulled out the old MGM set I have that has the cool 4th disc with back story on Amityville and the DVD suffered the same issues. Very soft looking almost to the point of being quite blurry in areas. I'm guessing this had something to do with the process used to make the movie. I watched the 2D version as I didn't want to do the whole glasses thing this time. I founf the movie entertaining. Not great, and quite honestly didn't feel like an Amityville movie, but did have some entertainment value anyway.

25. Deadly Eyes (1982) Blu- Saw the out of print message on this one and since I had bought it when it was released, took an interest in watching it again. The effects in this movie kill me, especially the rats. Entertaining giant rat movie that will get more viewings in the future.

Pretty good day of viewing and got my highest number of movies per day watched today. Getting some good ideas from others. Always an expensive month!

~Rocker10

maskull, hulkyduck, indrid13 and 6 others like this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Oct. 9th

Theme: Ladies ain't gonna take it no more!

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

[​IMG]

No great claim: I've always loved this movie. Even, what, 80+ years (!) since its release, it still looks beautiful and spooky. The humor, the dialogue, the performances, the lighting--none of it ever gets old for me. This time around, here's what did: the first 20-30 minutes. I was surprised at how this dragged. Una O'Connor's "Minnie" is all over these first 20 or so minutes and she plays it to a full screech. It's like she is in a completely different film. But then the pacing clicks, Herr Doktor meets Pretorius, and things pick up considerably. Speaking of Pretorius, he's probably my favorite part of this film. How has there never been an origin story? Who is this guy?!

The ending, while abrupt, is still so moving. Karloff's "You go..." is a great moment captured.

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)

[​IMG]

I'm a sucker for a title that rhymes, ha ha. Yeah, so switching gears entirely. This is a first-time viewing for me, and WOW, where has Prom Night II been all my life? This is a legit, fucked-up movie, guys. I had no idea. I thought I was in for another mid-80s, slasher sequel. Nope, this is full-on supernatural, cult weirdness that earns its R-rating. I'd love to know more of the backstory here, and I expect to spiral down a dark web, Prom Night rabbit hole shortly, but making this a sequel seems like a really bad move, as it stands on its own. Like, really on its own; that weird scene with the horse in Vicki's room? Ohhhhh-kay.

Sure, sure, the opening is like a sleazy subversion of Carrie, where the town tramp (not slut-shaming her! Mary Lou is proud, and I am proud of her), who has mommy issues, is burned a-fucking-live. What an effect! I couldn't believe it, it was so impressive, and in what I expected to be such a run-of-the-mill sequel. But the women are so badass in this: Mary Lou writing her name and phone number in the confessional, ha ha; Vicki (pre-possession) telling her school rival to shut her "fucking mouth"; Vicki's friend rejecting some dork by saying, "Fuck off, asshole!" in the middle of class. And then it's revealed that Mary Sue also has daddy issues! That was a truly shocking moment. And the locker room scene? Yeesh? Who knew 80s nubile nudity could be so skeevy?

It's so great to discover lost gems like this, especially during October. I am surprised, though, that this film doesn't get more love here. Found this thread:

http://horrordvds.com/community/threads/hello-mary-lou-prom-night-2.13423/

But that's about it. Are any of the sequels this good? Worth tracking down?

If you haven't seen Prom Night II, I highly recommend remedying that! I'm glad to now know Mary Lou.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 9th-

More space bound horror. I don't think I've seen Event Horizon since the late 90's. Don't remember it doing much for me then. Enjoyed it a lot more now.

6. fattyjoe37

[​IMG]
    Movie #13:
    Hatchet (2007)
    Rewatch (Unrated Blu-ray)
    **1/2 (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    9. OFF-BRAND SLASHERS: No Jason, Freddy, Michael, Leatherface or Chucky. Blatant rip-offs preferred.

I’ve watched all the big horror franchises many times, so now I’m working my way through the lesser ones (hence my Leprechaun marathon a couple months back). I have previously only seen the first Hatchet, but the rules of the Scarecrow Challenge will make it so I can see all 3 over the course of the month. Unfortunately Hatchet was as disappointing now as it was when it came out. I’m all for throwback horror, but this comes off more as a gory comedy than something from the 80s. That’d be fine if done well, except I didn’t find half the jokes funny. The music score also stood out this time as particularly terrible and for taking place outdoors the film felt very claustrophobic. The characters were walking in and out of similarly bright swamp sets where it appears the plants had just been swapped around instead of actually moving the shooting location. That might not be the case, but the shooting style definitely gave that effect. Not terrible by any means, but I hope this is a series that improves as it goes on.

7. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 9th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19) Gantz:O: There is a descent amount of fun to be had in this over the top CGI action flick. The monsters were creative looking, and the shoot’em up, video approach was cool, but everything because repetitive by the halfway mark. I would have liked this a lot more if there was a bit more depth to the supporting characters, and a more tangible, fleshed out story, but still a good pizza & beer movie that could be a crowd pleaser. (6/10)

20) Let’s Be Evil: This film was more interesting from a visual standpoint than a storytelling one. I liked how they reinvented the concept of a found footage film by having the three lead characters wear “augmented reality glasses” instead of carrying around video cameras because it adds to the believability of why everything is being filmed. The 80’s synth score also added to the atmosphere, as did the neon color pallet for the cinematography. Unfortunately, everything else about this film is shallow. The story is particularly flat with almost nothing interesting happening until the final act and the twist finale is convoluted and confusing. (4/10)

8. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

16. Don't Torture A Duckling (1972)
    Decided to open up my Arrow haul from the begining of the month and start working through them. This is my favorite fulci flick and is also in my top 5 Giallos. This is also one of his most straightforward efforts, plot wise. Apart from some dated make up effects this film has held up well and is a great re-master from Arrow. 4.5/5

17. Kill ,baby kill (1966)
    Another great Arrow re-master. in essence a ghost story of revenge beyond the grave that we have all seen a thousand times. What sets this apart is the dreamlike and creepy atmosphere due to Mario Bava's skillful direction and cinematography thats sets this apart from other efforts and the scary little child still is one of the creepiest images ive seen on film. 4/5

18. Suspicious death of a minor (1975)
    Last Arrow blu ray of the day. This is thought to be Sergio Martino's last Giallo film but really it is a mix of Giallo and police thriller with a bit of comedy thrown in and although the plot is a little bit all over the place at times there is still a lot of fun to be had here. Not in the class of Martino's other Giallos but still enjoyed this. 3.5/5

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Re-upload all your pics via a free image hosting site like tinypic.com where you can upload your own photos or copy a pre-existing image URL and can resize them for message boards (640 x 480), etc.

maskull, indrid13 and fattyjoe37 like this.
  10. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

October 7th: It (2017)

[​IMG]

I've actually seen this twice within the span of a few weeks. The second time was at my "loan kid's" request (he's nearly thirteen and loves horror) - and with his mother's permission. My condition was that we talk about the big themes afterwards - not so much the jump scares and frightening images, but the bullying, the bad parents, and the friendships. He enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it again the second time around. I'm impressed by the child thespians and the thematic maturity, and while Bill Skarsgård's Pennywise doesn't make me appreciate Tim Curry's any less, I still think he delivers one heck of a performance. At times, the movie gets so carried away with over-the-top visual grotesqueries and action-packed confrontations that the potential for mounting dread isn't completely fulfilled, but it's a minor quibble. I'm looking forward to seeing how part 2 handles the final conflict between the adult losers and It - the weakest aspect of the television adaptation.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 5 others like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/8/17

THE FINAL TERROR (1983)

[​IMG]

I had not revisited this movie since the Scream Factory Blu-ray came out in 2014. Keep in mind the audio & video presentation is less than optimal as the original film elements were all lost. Scream used 6 film prints to piece together a composite for collectors. Maybe that was why I didn't enjoy my last viewing from three years ago? This time it was a non-issue & the film did a lot more for me.

A group of rangers choose to go deeper in the woods to relatively unfamiliar turf for their camping trip. In doing so - they provoke a highly territorial backwoods killer very highly skilled in the art of stalk, slash, and camouflage.

The Final Terror was shot in 1981 & released two years later. Three cast members saw their careers taking off at the time: Rachel Ward (Sharky's Machine, Night School, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid), Daryl Hannah (Blade Runner, Splash), and Adrian Zmed (TJ Hooker). Prolific character actor Joe Pantoliano gets an especially bizarre part here in an early role, Don't expect a high body count or a big shocking twist at the end. What sells The Final Terror for me at least would be the locations and the tension. Dense redwood forests, rugged terrain, and a requisite creepy cabin in the woods all lend itself well to a slasher film in the mountains.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 5 others like this.
  12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

9th - October Madness No.14 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 9 - OFF-BRAND SLASHERS: No Jason, Freddy, Michael, Leatherface, or Chucky. Blatant rip-offs preferred.

[​IMG]

Edge of the Axe (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 3.5/5
    Spanish horror director José Romón Larraz takes on the American slasher movie with California-shot Edge of the Axe. When a series of axe murders shock a small town the sheriff and his force originally try to cover it all up as an accident to avoid town panic meanwhile computer-whiz Gerald strikes up a romantic relationship with waitress Lillian while they try to put the pieces together of what's happening and who the mysterious killer may be. Filled with more than a few red herrings, a strong dramatic arc, and a Michael Myers-esque masked axe murder, Edge of the Axe is a cut above most off-brand outings in the slasher subgenre despite its lack of blood and guts. Although when the violence happens, it's quite strong and shocking.

9th - October Madness No.15 / SCV Psychotronic Challenge Day 9 Part 2 - OFF-BRAND SLASHERS: No Jason, Freddy, Michael, Leatherface, or Chucky. Blatant rip-offs preferred.

[​IMG]

Killer Workout (1987) Rewatch - Rating: 2.5/5
    Someone is knocking off the beautiful people of Rhonda's Workout club with an oversized safety pin, but while the body count rises everyone still seems to want to get their aerobics classes in! David A. Prior's Killer Workout (aka Aerobi-cide) is a gleefully cheap and exploitative slasher that's chock-full of slashings, overacting, muscles, and more than a handful of T&A-focused sexually suggestive aerobics montages set to 80's pop rock (these montages account for at least 15 or so minutes of the already short 82 minute runtime which are interspersed between the story arc scenes). You're definitely not watching this one for the formulaic story, but it delivers some hilarious scenes like the aforementioned montages and the over-the-top fist-fight scenes between Playgirl model Ted Prior and Fritz Matthews.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 7 others like this.
  13. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Wrong Turn 3

[​IMG]

I hadn't seen part 3 since it came out. I didn't remember much about it so I went in relatively fresh. If you take these flicks for what they're worth, they can be really enjoyable.

This one is more straightforward than part 2, which is more of a horror comedy. It has a 90s straight to video vibe throughout (which is not a bad thing in my book) There's a good blend of practical fx as well as some cgi....most of which is pretty funny. In the first 3 minutes you have a topless girl smoking a joint and 3-4 people get killed. You know what you're getting into and I really enjoyed this. Some bad acting, poor dialog, you know the drill......but it's a fun 90 minutes. Looks really good on blu ray too. Lot of beautiful mountain scenery.

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 3 others like this.
  14. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

10th October

Red Christmas - 2016

A widow and her bickering family gather at her remote estate on Christmas Eve. There she must protect them from a demented stranger who is hell bent on tearing them apart.

I was looking forward to this, but alas it was a letdown, poor execution and some major shaky cam dragged this down for me, however a couple of nice kills and the killer and their motives saved this from being a complete dud.

2 out of 5

hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 3 others like this.
  15. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

OCTOBER 10TH: Motel Hell, Lunch Meat, Splatter Farm, Blood Diner, Slaughterhouse, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oct 10th-

The Gathering an interesting supernatural thriller with a 70's horror feel. I like the concept to the supernatural threat here. Christina Ricci looked amazing in the tight jeans they had her rocking here.

17. fattyjoe37

hulkyduck, maskull, indrid13 and 2 others like this.
  18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I watched the X-Rated Cult Blu release of Lamberto Bava's Macabre (Macabro) last night. The transfer looked really good to me. Oddly I had never seen it before (I've seen all of Lamberto's others). It's not great but it is unique - it really drags (slow burns) for almost 45 minutes before all the character stuff pays off. The main reveal you see coming a mile away and the final scene is ridiculous, but it manages, despite all this, to leave a good impression.

19. fattyjoe37

[​IMG]
    Movie #14:
    X-ray AKA Hospital Massacre (1981)
    First time viewing (Scream Factory Blu-ray)
    ** (out of 5)
    Scarecrow Video Psychotronic Challenge Guideline:
    10. AFFORDABLE SCARE ACT: Hospitals, mental or medical. Horrific deeds in the big white building.

My only thought while watching this movie: hospitals don’t work like that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    hulkyduck, Rocker10, maskull and 4 others like this.
  20. Colin

Colin Active Member

October 10th
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21) Stakeland II: The Stakelander: I’m a big fan of the original “Stakeland” and this sequel is a letdown. Sure, it was cool to see the original cast return for this one, but the magic just wasn’t here. The visuals that made the original standout were lacking here, the supporting cast lacked depth, and the entire story felt like a post-apocalyptic B-movie from the 1980’s. It’s not a complete wast of time, just don’t go in expecting much. (5/10)

22) Transfiguration: A rich, lively, and complex modernization of the vampire folklore. This one really succeeds by developing its characters and establishing a cold, depressing mood perfectly. I would warn those of you planning on watching this to understand that the film plays out more like a drama with the vampire stuff woven in rather than the other way around. If I had any major complaints, it would be the subplot surrounding a murder that falls completely into the background until the final few minutes of the film. There also were a few scenes where the editing was a bit choppy, and the mumblecore esthetic kind of annoyed me, but overall, I got a real kick out of it. (7/10)