The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

October 3 [Nature films marathon]
    7. Skeeter*(1993, 95 minutes) 3.5/10: I rated this movie higher not because it's good but because it's entertainingly bad early 90s cheese and I caught it in the right mood but otherwise I'm not sure it's recommended for casual viewers. I really enjoyed the giant plastic monster mosquitoes. Am I the only one who can't watch William Sanderson without thinking of Daryl from that Bob Newhart show?
    8. Kingdom of the Spiders*(1977, 97 minutes) 7/10 : It took me some time to get use to the country atmosphere of the film but eventually found that part of the appeal. I didn't expect to enjoy it (preferring supernatural horror) but ended up having a good time. The film starts off slow but builds up.
    9. The Black Cat*(1981, 92 minutes) 5/10 : Good Poe homage that pulls from several stories with nice atmosphere using foggy settings, cat's eye camera tactics, and a few gruesome deaths. The corny way Fulci overuses eye close-ups is amusing. I've read some bad reviews about this movie but am glad I caught it.
    10. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005, 85 minutes) : Most of the humor falls into cutesy rather than funny but an enjoyable diversion for "family movie night." It was nice to take a break from more serious movies. Curse of the Were-Rabbit had several fun homages to American Werewolf in London and King Kong.
    11. Zoltan, Hound of Dracula* (1978, 87 minutes) 1/10 : Painfully boring movie; I think it could have shown some promise but the plot was too ackward and the visuals not strong enough. The coolest part of the movie seems to happen within the first 5 minutes and downhill from there. I had trouble sitting through this one. I wonder if all Albert Band directed movies are this lame.

October 4 [Satanic marathon]
    12. Black Candles *(1982, 82 minutes) 2/10: Not that I have anything against gratuitous nudity but does it really have to be justified with such a pointless plot? The bestiality scene was shocking though awkward. I hear José Ramón Larraz, who directed and later disowned this film, is hilariously profane on the Vampyres commentary so might check that out later.
    13. Satánico Pandemonium (aka La Sexorcista)*(1973, 90 minutes) 7/10 : I heard good things about this film but it was better than expected with some good imagery about a nun's temptation by the devil. Intelligently executed nunsploitation (however oxymoronic that might sound). This film my first exposure to Mondo Macabro's catalog so I'm looking forward to checking out Satan's Blood and Assault! Jack the Ripper also under their banner.
    13. Exorcism (1974, 89 minutes) 4/10 : I often find Paul Naschy's characters too smug to the detriment of his films. Exorcism is a slow paced tame Exorcist rip-off that never quite pays off. Interestingly the DVD has clothed variants of the scenes with nudity. The non-nude scenes were in the original theatrical release.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 4th: The Psychic (aka Seven Notes in Black)
    Freakshow (1989 - extremely rare Canadian horror anthology)

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Redeemer (1978)

Six classmates meet for the reunion but a stranger is killing them off one by one. Weird but fun proto-slasher with a few wtf moments.
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including creepy life-like doll, trapped in old school building setting, sink-drowning, lesbian kiss, evil altar boys, blowtorch burning, fight for gun.

Spawn of the Slithis (1978)

Organic mud enhanced with radioactivity spawns a creature killing people in Venice (California). A teacher with journalistic ambitions is doing the investigations. Neat but not very exciting monster flick with a great looking monster.
    October/Halloween score: 2.5/5 for including PG gore, PG boobs, fat boy running in slow motion, teenage news junkies, showdown on a boat.

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 5th
    [​IMG]
    Movie #21, around 4:30 AM -
    The Boogey Man (1980) - ***/5

So bad it's good? It's almost impossible to talk about it any other way. The acting is completely amateur, the writing takes a backseat to all the freakiness, some unnecessary sleaze (the opening scene is one thing, the scissors scene is another). But the pacing, editing, music, and camerawork are all superb and skillful. It's bad but it's entertaining.

[​IMG]
    Movie #22, around 6:00 AM -
    Alone in the Dark (1981) - ***/5

Really interesting, smart, and scary... A lot of good qualities. However, Martin Landau ruins almost every scene he's in. And the quirky, precocious daughter becomes an annoyance. Otherwise, it's a top-notch slasher.

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 3 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5, Alone in the Dark)
    So far watched: 7 TV episodes, 22 Movies (by 7:35 A.M., October 5th)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  5. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

Nunsploitation? :eek1: My favorite sub-sub-sub-genre! I shall seek it out immediately.

6. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Tooth Fairy
    Year: 2006
    Director: Chuck Bowman
    Rating: NR
    Length: 89 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles:

Stars:
    Lochlyn Munro
    Chandra West
    Nicole Munoz
    Peter Wong
    Peng Zhang

Plot:
    Northern California, 1949: In the woods outside of a small town, a hideous witch lured children to her crumbling home where she stole their teeth, butchered their bodies, and cursed their souls to wander the earth forever. Decades later the house has been converted into a quaint country inn, but an untold evil remains: The witch's slumber has been disturbed, and her vengeful spirit seeks the violent slaughter of all who stay there. And for one eleven-year-old girl with a loose molar and an active imagination, the ultimate horror begins with a visit from THE TOOTH FAIRY.

Chandra West (WHITE NOISE), Lochlyn Munro (FREDDY VS. JASON) and P.J. Soles (HALLOWEEN, THE DEVIL’S REJECTS) star in this grisly shocker written by Stephen J. Cannell that rips open the dark side of a not-so-innocent childhood legend.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    Not a bad story... but I definitely seen better. It is definitely worth watching... but at the same time it is not one I would spend too much money on. One thing I liked about this one is that it was more then just a movie about a witch... it was also a movie about ghosts... ghosts that needed help to get rid of the witch so their souls could finally find peace. For those that don't like gore... be warned that this one has a few scenes of gore in it. So over-all I would say this is a solid above average movie.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 14
    TV Ep. Count: 6
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 7:30am

7. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

8. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Movie #9 : "Ghoulies II" (1988)

[​IMG]

Movie #10 : Halloween 4 : The Return of Micheal Myers" (1988)

[​IMG]

2 sequels from 1988 back-to-back last night! "Ghoulies II" is a fun flick in which our titular pint-sized demons move into a traveling carnival's haunted house and wackiness ensues. Definitely just a fun flick. "Halloween 4" was the series "Return to Form", bringing back the style, formula, and most of all the atmosphere of the original. Good suspense, great setting, solid kills. Nothing special, per se, but a good film none the less.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Lost Boys: Two-Disc Special Edition
    Year: 1987
    Director: Joel Schumacher
    Rating: R
    Length: 97 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    Jason Patric
    Corey Haim
    Dianne Wiest
    Barnard Hughes
    Edward Herrmann [Ed Herrmann]
    Kiefer Sutherland

Plot:
    Sam and his older brother Michael are all-American teens with all-American interests. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Carla, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast - Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes and Edward Herrmann - stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers
    Deleted Scenes
    Featurettes
    Gallery
    Multi-angle
    Music Videos
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    Definitely one of my favorite Vampire movies... one I have seen countless times that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Keifer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

My Rating: 4.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 15
    Time Started: 10:30am

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1st: Race With the Devil (1975)
    Oct 2nd: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
    Oct 4th: Night of the Creeps (1986)

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Any / All Days
    [​IMG]
    TV Episode #1, around ?:?? ?M -
    Roseanne, Season 2; Episode 7: "Boo!" (1989) - ***1/2/5

No, I can't believe I'm trying to be critical of something like this either but bear with... If a television show could be considered flawed, the weak spot here is undoubtedly Lecy Goranson as Becky. Understandably, after her apple rant, you'll see her onscreen for maybe 3 minutes total in the Halloween episodes for seasons 3 and 4 combined.

[​IMG]
    TV Episode #2, around ?:?? ?M -
    Roseanne, Season 3; Episode 7: "Trick or Treat" (1990) - ****/5

"Badda bing, badda boom"? I should imagine that in 1990, that phrase must have been at least 3 years past its' expiration. An amusing enough commentary on bad perceived male behaviors ("what does she want with you when she's got a suitcase full of sex toys?"), though as one of the first gay-referencing progressive episodes of the show I'm not sure Dan's "mess with me" line was very flattering.

[​IMG]
    TV Episode #3, around ?:?? ?M -
    Roseanne, Season 4; Episode 6: "Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down" (1991) - *****/5

Undoubtedly, the best Halloween episode of the series. As though I had to say anything, it's the tightest. Everything works and everyone on the crew and cast is at their absolute best. The Roseanne vs. Kathy thing is perfect here (and Meagen Fay is hilarious), all bases covered (favorite moment; "Alls I've gotta do is think... If I were her, what would I do to get even? ...Uh hoah, that bitch!"). Good psycho-killer music at the beginning too.

[​IMG]
    TV Episode #4, around ?:?? ?M -
    Roseanne, Season 5; Episode 7: "Halloween IV" (1992) - ***1/2/5

There's just something inherently off about an episode where Roseanne herself is the one who needs an intervention to get her into the Halloween spirit. Ironic though it is, it's also hokey (the whole 3 Halloween ghosts thing really doesn't do that much- the past section is especially lame) and a bit of a downer. Though, Roseanne is still giving an amazing performance (almost good enough to top Season 4's Halloween episode), the lodge party scenes are great, and the scene into Roseanne's future showing her as the complete antithesis of who she is in the show is classic ("Don't leave me, Dan; I try the best I can but I am only a woman!").

[​IMG]
    TV Episode #5, around ?:?? ?M -
    Roseanne, Season 6; Episode 6: "Halloween V" (1993) - ****/5

Definitely an improvement over Season 5's Halloween episode. The return of the prank war theme is great (both of the set-ups were perfect), Dan's "the things you have no intention of doing" mini-speech is excellent, the Nancy jokes are great and it's proof of how good an actress Sandra Bernhard is that she can play that whiny little twit (I actually knew several girls frighteningly just like Nancy) without her trademark cynical-aggressive attitude.

[​IMG]
    TV Episode #6, around ?:?? ?M -
    The Jeffersons, Season 4; Episode 11: "The Costume Party" (1977) - ***/5

Historic show, yes. And the characters are a lot of fun over the course of the first 3 seasons (probably the best). But the 4th season slowed things down a lot- I never thought Marcus (absent from this episode, thankfully) or Leroy (Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning's Vernon Washington) were good additions to the cast. Then, with Zara Cully's passing (I believe her last episode, though she died in '78, was season 4's "The Last Leaf")... I'm not sure the show did enough to keep it fresh or had enough left in it to sustain an entire season. And though season 4 had its' moments (I remember "Florence's Union" being one of the highpoints), there's little going on in "The Costume Party." (Not a Halloween episode, no, but there are costumes and people playing characters all the way through it) Florence's "oh ma goooodniss!!" routine is a lot of fun and somewhat reminiscent of Marla Gibbs' tour-de-force performance in the final scenes of Season 3's exquisite "Florence in Love."

[​IMG]
    TV Episode #7, around ?:?? ?M -
    Garfield's Halloween Adventure (1985) - *****/5

Everyone who's seen this knows it's a masterpiece on the same level as It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. Garfield's always a great character but this episode (special) also goes the extra mile to deliver awesome animation (I never know how to describe it... it's like watercolors but it's extremely heady - can made-for-television animation be atmospheric?) and memorable songs (I've been hum-singing "sixty men all lost at sea..." nonstop for days now). The moment at the abandoned house with the creepy old man is the stuff of legends and I wouldn't be surprised to find its' a staple of many of our childhoods. This is just full of amazing scenes but even then, there are at least half a dozen standouts. Love "the one thing I'm not is a scaredy cat" especially (it actually still spooks me a little - and... look at that ghost at the end, looking at the camera blinking at us like he's saying; "what did I do?" - SO FREAKING ADORABLE!). And that beautiful chalk look to the ghosts... Might there be some The Fog influence here?

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 3 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5, Alone in the Dark)
    So far watched: 7 TV episodes, 22 Movies (by 7:35 A.M., October 5th)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  12. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Dinocroc: Sci-Fi Collection
    Year: 2004
    Director: Kevin O'Neill
    Rating: R
    Length: 85 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
    Costas Mandylor
    Charles Napier
    Jane Longenecker
    Matt Borlenghi
    Bruce Weitz
    Joanna Pacula

Plot:
    Imagine all the fury of a prehistoric carnivore combined with the ferocity of the largest crocodile known to man and you have the makings of nonstop terror. Run for your life as Gereco Corporation's experiment to manipulate a rapid-growth hormone gets out of control, and a ravenous monster gets out of its cage. Now the residents of the once-peaceful Grant's Lake have only the talents of a crude Australian reptile hunter, the short-handed local sheriff, his daughter the animal control expert, and her boyfriend, to save them from the insatiable jaws of a beastly feeding frenzy.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    Not to sure what to say about this one. I went in expecting a cheesy movie. And I did get that. But it definitely could have been worse. I thought the Dinocroc looked pretty cool. And I liked how they kept him mostly hidden from view for most of the movie. I would say it is basically an average movie. I went in not expecting much... so came out of it without being disappointed.

My Rating: 3/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 16
    Time Started: 12:30pm

13. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 5th:

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
    Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)
    Slumber Party Massacre III (1990)
    Sorority House Massacre (1986)
    Sorority House Massacre II (1992)

14. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 5th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10) Bad Dreams: Totally capitalizing on the success of the Nightmare On Elm Street series, but still manages to do it's own thing. Richard Lynch was amazing as always and it was funny to see Jennifer Rubin in yet another psychiatric related horror films. A fun ride all the way through! (7/10)

11) Initiation: An underrated slasher gem. A lot of emphasis on story, tension, and build up to the final climax. And the added twist at the end really took me by surprise. (7.5/10)

15. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Supernatural: The Complete Fourth Season
    RESURRECTION. AFTER ENDURING UNSPEAKABLE TORTURE, DEAN ESCAPES FROM HELL, rescued by an all-powerful creature he's never seen before: an Angel. This warrior of God who recruits Sam and Dean in Heaven's battle against Hell, amid whispers that a certain Fallen Angel will soon be freed from his prison deep in Hell: Lucifer. If Sam and Dean can't stop it – if Lucifer walks free – he'll bring on the Apocalypse. Meanwhile, the Winchester brothers reunite and hit the road, battling the supernatural wherever they go. They encounter demons, spirits, Dracula himself and even a drunk, heavily armed 7-foot-tall teddy bear. All the while, the ultimate war draws them into its horror throughout this enthralling 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season Four. Caught between Heaven and Hell, between God and the Devil, the Winchester brothers must battle for the future of humankind.

LAZARUS RISING
    Dean wakes up in his own coffin. How did he return from the dead? What caused the hand-shaped welt on his shoulder? And what happened in the four months he spent in Hell, time he can’t remember?

My Thoughts:
    This is the first episode of season 4. One I enjoyed very much. I am really Loving where they are bringing the storyline for this season.

My Rating: 4.5/5

Count:
    TV Ep. Count: 7
    Time Started: 4:15pm

16. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    RESURRECTION. AFTER ENDURING UNSPEAKABLE TORTURE, DEAN ESCAPES FROM HELL, rescued by an all-powerful creature he's never seen before: an Angel. This warrior of God who recruits Sam and Dean in Heaven's battle against Hell, amid whispers that a certain Fallen Angel will soon be freed from his prison deep in Hell: Lucifer. If Sam and Dean can't stop it – if Lucifer walks free – he'll bring on the Apocalypse. Meanwhile, the Winchester brothers reunite and hit the road, battling the supernatural wherever they go. They encounter demons, spirits, Dracula himself and even a drunk, heavily armed 7-foot-tall teddy bear. All the while, the ultimate war draws them into its horror throughout this enthralling 6-Disc, 22-Episode Season Four. Caught between Heaven and Hell, between God and the Devil, the Winchester brothers must battle for the future of humankind.

ARE YOU THERE, GOD? IT’S ME, DEAN WINCHESTER
    After Dean’s encounter with Castiel, Dean, Sam and Bobby brush up on their biblical lore when they’re attacked by the vengeful spirits of people from the Winchester’s past. They’re warned it’s a sign that someone is trying to break seals which will bring on the apocalypse.

My Thoughts:
    This is a good continuation of the last episode. I liked how they had to face the spirits of those they failed in the past. I was cool to see some of the characters again.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    TV Ep. Count: 8
    Time Started: 5:00pm

17. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 4th-

Killer Birthday marathon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

You haven't seen bad until you've seen Catholic Ghoulgirls. Holy fuck.

A few laughs, though, at least.

19. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]

IN THE BEGINNING
    Back to the future. Castiel sends Dean to 1973 Lawrence, Kansas where he meets a nice young couple named John and Mary Winchester, Dean’s parents. And Mary has a secret.

My Thoughts:
    A little time traveling for Dean in this episode. Another episode I enjoyed very much. It was good to see some background into the Winchester family.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    TV Ep. Count: 9
    Time Started: 5:45pm

20. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

SPM 1 (with commentary)

SPM 2 (about 1/3 with commentary)

SPM 3 (halfway with commentary,the other half unconscious-got up at 8a.m. today to snag the one (1) copy Fry's electronics got in,after going to sleep at 4:30a.m.The shit I do for horror. :0

The Evil/Twice Dead arrived from Amazon on my doorstep today,those will be next."Twice" sounds like good,cheesy '80s fun,and I love Jill (Night Of The Creeps) Whitlow.