The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

Kinda forgot how fun this is.

Trust me, the 9th time is a revelation!

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1st: Race With the Devil (1975)
    Oct 2nd: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
    Oct 4th: Night of the Creeps (1986)
    Oct 5th: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    Oct 6th: Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    Oct 8th: Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Evil (1978)

The devil lives in the cellar of an old mansion trapping and killing a group of people with his supernatural powers. The Evil is actually The Legend of Hell House told from a different angle. Not perfect but entertaining enough.
    October/Halloween score: 3.5/5 for including Haunted house theme, demonic possession, supernatural storm, animal attack, friendly ghost, electrocution, thick fog.

The Comeback (1978)

Retired pop singer is working on a new album but nightmares, ghastly moaning and a killer with a sickle puts him on the edge of sanity. Proto-Slasher with a few haunts. Pacing drags very though but overall a fun watch.
    October/Halloween score: 3.5/5 for including cheesy singing in a studio, cross dressing shenanigans, creepy masked killer, elevator kill, hearty british breakfast, sex in a car.

4. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

October 5
    15. Call of Cthulhu (2005, 47 minutes) 6.5/10 : Clever film based on Lovecraft mythos that's a nice homage to silent movies. Very surreal with a lot of flashbacks and dream sequences.
    16. Horror Hotel* (1960, 75 minutes) 5.5/10 : Enjoyable with a lot of fog and a creepy vibe. The style was nice but I felt the plot could have been a little more complex or the twists a little more subtle. Christopher Lee is barely in the film. The ending was really hockey.
    17. Dead Snow (aka Død snø)* (2009, 90 minutes) 4/10 : Although the film flaunts nazi zombies in it's marketing they don't really show up until over 45 minutes in so the first half is a slasher tease. ...but once the nazi zombies kick in things go for broke and the film really shines. If the pacing had picked up earlier Dead Snow would be a horror classic, as is it's a rental.

October 6 [Evil Fish Marathon]
    18. Octaman* (1971, 79 minutes) 3.5/10 : That Octaman creature is awesome! The movie is cheesy but fun and doesn't waste any time getting to the point, good bad movie with nice pacing. The night time swamp scenes were fun and effective.
    19. Piranha [2D Version]* (2010, 88 minutes) 4/10 : Piranha is a fast paced fun party video with lots of t&a and fast paced editing. Very enjoyable film but it lost points for CGI cheapness and there are a lot of weak plot points especially with the last 5 minutes going downhill. The underwater first person shots are very well done and pulled me in. The underwater skinny dipping scene is worth the price of admission alone.
    20. Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954, 79 minutes) 7/10 : I've always thought The Creature was an under-rated Universal monster and that the first film in the trilogy is gold.
    21. Salvage* (2008, 76 minutes) 6/10 : Unexpectedly good low budget release. There's a lot of mystery creating a nice tension and a good sense of ironic humor. I'm surprised I haven't heard this movie mentioned more since it's a good modern film.

October 7
    22. Black Devil Doll* (2007, 73 minutes) 1.5/10 : A one line joke that goes on too long and is not as clever as the writers seemed to think it was. It's not suppose to be good but it delivers what it promises including trashy one-liners and puppet sex. The film is briefly amusing but you could save 70 minutes and just watch the trailer.
    23. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders* (1970, 77 minutes) 5.5/10 : Interesting Czechoslovakian film about a girl coming to womanhood using vampires/witches as metaphors for lust and control. Surreal arthouse vibe with good imagery. I think this would benefit from multiple viewings.
    24. Sick Girl* (2007, 83 minutes) 3.5/10 : Gruesome film with highly stylized editing and an interesting bright quality to the film but wooden acting. Violence can be effective as a tool for creating tension but Sick Girl starts and stays violent disintegrating the plot and feeling more like a serious of gratuitous sketches than a narrative. Over the top but some scenes are enjoyably shocking. The film is lukewarm but leads up to a scorching ending. There's some interesting commentary about war and family.

October 8
    25. Sick Girl [Masters of Horror 1.10]* (2006, 60 minutes) 4.5/10 : Enjoyable segment but comes across more as a romantic comedy than a horror film at the start but has a very memorable ending (one of the bests closes yet this challenge). It's freespirited and original. Watching this made me realize how much I appreciate Angela Bettis's eccentic characters. I think Misty Mundane's talents are under utilized. Bonus points for avoiding CGI.
    26. Deer Woman [Masters of Horror 1.07]* (2005, 57 minutes) 3.5/10 : Nice police procedural elements with a good sense of humor in parts but crawls a bit in the middle and lacks suspense.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    KEY: Blu-Ray HD-DVD DVD Laserdisc Netflix Instant
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red
    10/03/2010: Inferno
    10/04/2010: The Omen (1976)
    10/05/2010: Beauty and the Beast
    10/06/2010: Hostel; Sleepy Hollow
    10/07/2010: The Exorcist- Director's Cut; Sole Survivor (1983)
    10/08/2010: Poltergeist; The Abominable Dr. Phibes; Burnt Offerings; Hatchet; House by the Cemetery
    Total: 14
    Other Notables:
    Just Couldn't Finish It: The Church; Zombiethon

6. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street
    Year: 1984
    Director: Wes Craven
    Rating: R
    Length: 91 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English

Stars:
    John Saxon
    Ronee Blakley
    Heather Langenkamp
    Amanda Wyss
    Nick Corri
    Johnny Depp

Plot:
    From modern horror master Wes Craven (Scream, Scream 2) comes a timeless shocker that remains the standard bearer for terror.

Nancy (Heather Langenkamp) is having grisly nightmares. Something monstrous wants to kill her. Meanwhile, her high-school friends, who are having the very same dream, are being slaughtered in their sleep by the hideous fiend of their shared nightmare. When the police ignore her explanation, she herself must confront the killer in his shadowy realm.

Featuring John Saxon (Enter The Dragon) and Johnny Depp in his first starring role and mind-bending special effects, this horror classic gave birth to one of the most infamous undead villains in cinematic history. Reportedly naming Freddy Krueger after a kid who had bullied him in school, writer-director Craven hatches a shock-fest from hell that "goes straight to the heart of terror" (Seattle Times).

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Production Notes
    DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
    I was going to save this movie for later in the marathon... but after watch the remake recently I jut couldn't shake the desire of watching the original. Now this is more like it... a better, more menacing Freddy. A likable Nancy... and an all around better feel of the movie. This first movie has always been my favorite in the franchise. Matter of fact... I would even say it is one of my favorite horror movies of all time! This has a couple actors in it that I am very familiar with. Of course there is a young Johnny Depp. And then there is Heather Langenkamp... who I remember well as one of the children on the sitcom Just the Ten of Us. While still sarcastic... in this one Freddy Krueger is played a bit more straight... as they didn't add as much comedy to the character as the later ones did.

My Rating: 5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 27
    TV Ep. Count: 13
    Other Count: 2
    Time Started: 7:00am

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 08:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Still not my favourite movie but each time I watch it I like it a bit more. Getting there.

A Nightmare On Elm Street: I realized I haven't watched this one in over 5 years. Still pretty effective despite some dating in spots.

Cruel Jaws: Wow. The rip off dialog and scenes directly from better shark movies (ie. Jaws and Last Jaws). Actually they rip off actual clips from other movies. I think they only actually shot half a movie and used other people's work to pad the "story". Pretty bad movie anyway. There's a dude who looks like Hulk Hogan so that's cool at least.

One Dark Night: Can't believe I haven't watched this one before. Takes a while to get going but once it does it gets quite gooey and even really creepy at times. One of my favourite first-time viewings so far this October.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 7th
    [​IMG]
    Movie #30, around 6:15 PM -
    After Midnight (1989) - ***/5

Not as much fun as it used to be, and not nearly as full-bodied as it should be (the music is very good for a long while, but every now and then they'll stick in those awful cheap drum-&-symbals sounds you hear on late 80's/early 90's TV shows). But it's definitely above average for its' type. The stories are good, plot wise, and the acting is mostly very good. Though it's got that TV-quality sheen to it (this was a decade that could get away with that), Remy Zada and Marg Helgenberger are sensational.

[​IMG]
    Movie #31, around 8:00 PM -
    The Phantom of the Opera (1989) - ***/5

Very good for the first half. Surprisingly good, actually. Much better than you'd expect- highly skilled acting (great cast and they're trying to be better than most people in a B-horror film). But the second half drags a lot. Basically, there's too much Robert Englund and the guy is best when he's so demonic, you can barely recognize him. Since the film focuses a lot on the killings it's important to note that, after awhile they get really stupid. Especially the body in the dresser scene. But the final scenes start to slowly redeem it.

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 4 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5, Alone in the Dark, Evil Clutch)
    So far watched: 9 TV episodes, 31 Movies (by 9:45 P.M., October 7th)

9. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

October 4th

04. Friday the 13th (1980)

October 5th

05. Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

October 6th

06. Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

October 7th

07. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

October 8th

08. Hatchet (2006) Blu

October 9th

09. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

10. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Child's Play: Chucky's 20th Birthday Edition
    Year: 1988
    Director: Tom Holland
    Rating: R
    Length: 87 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
    Catherine Hicks
    Chris Sarandon
    Alex Vincent
    Brad Dourif
    Dinah Manoff
    Tommy Swerdlow

Plot:
    Experience this pulse-pounding slasher-shocker as never before with this all-new 20th Anniversary Edition! Chucky's back with a new slew of "friends to the end" – including a gripping audio commentary, thrilling behind-the-scenes featurettes and more!

Six-year-old Andy is thrilled when he gets a brand-new, cheery Chucky doll for his birthday. But he quickly discovers that Chucky is possessed by the soul of a notorious serial killer who swiftly begins terrorizing Andy, his ill-fated babysitter and his disbelieving mom. And he doesn't stop there. Proving he's nobody to toy with, the demonic doll schemes to transfer his evil spirit out of its "kid-friendly" container...and into Andy!

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes
    Gallery
    Interviews
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    It has been a couple years since I seen this one... so was good to watch again. I really enjoyed it. Sure the plot is a little on the silly side... but what do you expect from a movie that is about a killer doll? Besides... it makes for a fun watch. If by any chance there is someone out there that hasn't already seen this '80s classic... I would recommend checking it out.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 28
    TV Ep. Count: 13
    Time Started: 9:30am

11. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    A group of kids (the Midnight Society) get together in the woods, and tell ghost stories.

Episode Watched:
    Tale of the Full Moon
    An aspiring pet detective investigates his mother's new boyfriend, who he suspects is a werewolf.

My Thoughts:
    Another episode Brittany wanted me to see... this time a werewolf episode. I found this one to not be as good as the vampire one I watched with her... but it was fun all the same. Also the make-up for the werewolf wasn't as good. His ears were too big and face looked a little on the weird side. Making him look a bit on the cartoon-ish side.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 28
    TV Ep. Count: 14
    Time Started: 11:45am

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

My pace slowed down for in-house visitors this week. I'll step it up next week.

10/5
    Alien--A-list casts are typically reserved for more reserved, mannered, and arty horror films. Not so here. Although the story is just a 50s B movie brought up to date, the cast, crew (Scott, Goldsmith, etc.), and ground-breaking gore distinguish this one from other big-budget Hollywood horror flicks of its era. The chestburster's first appearance hit audiences with the impact of an atomic bomb.And the xenomorph emits a palpable sense of dread in every stage of its development. A great movie that doesn't EVER need to be remade.

10/6
    Aliens--A very good sequel that doesn't seem quite as timeless as Scott's original 24 years down the line. Still an enjoyable (and for me, nostalgic) ride down the 80s action highway. I think it suffers from some overly broad supporting turns. But Weaver's believable heroine keeps it from veering too far in the direction of camp.

10/7
    Army of Darkness--Proof that it's hard to go wrong with Raimi and Campbell anchoring a loving homage to all things Harryhausen. Not all that "good" on any objective scale. But all the stupid fun any Bruce Campbell fan could ever want. I watched this one with my friend and his 11-year-old son. The little guy was really enamored. All these years later I feel pretty much the same way.

Total movies watched through 10/8: 9.

13. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolf Man
    Year: 2008
    Director:
    Rating: G
    Length: 77 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English

Plot:
    Monster-obsessed Alvin is sure that the mysterious new neighbor is a werewolf, but the fun and frights really begin when Theodore starts acting strangely, too!

Extras:
    N/A

My Thoughts:
    Once again Brittany wanted me to watch one of her DVDs with her. Though I must admit... this one was a little tough for me as I never been a fan of the Chipmunks.

My Rating: 3/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 29
    Time Started: 12:30pm

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

10/1 - Blow Out (1981) 6/10 **
    10/2 - Psycho (1960) 6/10 **
    10/3 - Trip with the Teacher (1975) 4/10 **
    10/4 - Malibu Beach (1978) 5/10 **
    10/5 - Dexter: S2 E6 Dex, Lies, and Videotape 8/10 **
    10/6 - Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 8/10
    10/7 - Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) 2/10
    10/7 - Superchick (1973) 2/10 **
    10/8 - Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009) 8/10 **
    10/8 - Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 8/10 (w/ Director and Cast Commentary 5/10**)
    10/8 - Psycho II (1983) 7/10 **

[​IMG]

Now that I’ve seen more slasher films it’s easier to see the femist slant in SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE. On my first few viewings years ago I was too enthralled with how the camera would linger on female body parts to notice that most of the on-screen violence is against men and the guys are wimps. It’s still a lot of fun and Shout Factory’s release is a nice upgrade from the OOP 2000 release.

[​IMG]

SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE II is absolute garbage. Not only is pointless and boring but it is completely lacking in sleaze. With it’s title, cover art and cast you’d expect some decent T&A, but no. The rack-tacular Playmate, Kimberly McAurthur might as well have been wearing a sweater. Heidi Kozak, who had a amazing nude scene F13 P7, stayed covered up and Crystal Bernard wears a bra in the bathtub. The killing doesn’t start until 50 minutes in, but even that doesn’t save it. This movie gets a lot of hate for the rockabilly killer, but I found him to be the lone bright spot in the film. Damn, SPMII is boring.

[​IMG]

I wasn’t surprised last week when I found the original PSYCHO still holds up to it's “classic” status, but I was shocked that I enjoyed the sequel even more. PSYCHO II was entertaining from start to finish and the ending was brilliant. It’s really refreshing to see a horror sequel treated with respect. It’s so good that Meg Tilly (an actress I can’t stand) wasn’t able to drag it down. Now sit me by the window Norman so I can watch the next installment of this great franchise.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  15. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

OCTOBER 9th

FRIGHT NIGHT (1985)
    The best vampire film of the Last 30 years, Chris Sarandons portrayal of Jerry Dandridge is one of the best performances of anybody playing a vampire committed to film... sinister, charming, dangerous,sexy , evil and cool all at the same time , not an easy task to pull off but it is Roddy Mcdowells performance that steals the show. An all time classic 5/5

16. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 9th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18) Bird With The Crystal Plumage: I'm really kicking myself for not tracking down this film sooner because I absolutely loved it! It had the perfect blend of atmosphere, story, character development and a great twist. This film sits comfortably alongside Argento's other masterpiece, Suspiria, as one of his best. (9/10)

19) Giallo: Not the greatest film in the Argento cannon, but better than most of the films he's churned out in the last decade. Adrian Brody did an impressive job as the hard boiled NY cop, but the lead female was beyond annoying. And did anyone notice the killer in the movie looked like a member of Loverboy or Men At Work? (7/10)

17. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Salem's Lot
    Year: 1979
    Director: Tobe Hooper
    Rating: NR
    Length: 183 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
    David Soul
    James Mason
    Lance Kerwin
    Bonnie Bedelia
    Lew Ayres
    Julie Cobb

Plot:
    With Salem’s Lot, a blood-curdling shocker based on the novel by Stephen King, director Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist) sends the time-honored vampire legend soaring on bat wings into the modern era.

Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house, a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac and the dealer’s mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder). The solid supporting cast of vampire victims and fighters includes Bonnie Bedelia, Lew Ayres, Elisha Cook, Ed Flanders, George Dzundza, Lance Kerwin, Geoffrey Lewis and Marie Windsor. It’s hard to keep the undead down. And so easy to be scared in Salem’s Lot.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Feature Trailers
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. For a movie that is just over 30 years old... this movie has some decent scares in it. I personally haven't been scared from it since I was a kid... but I do remember it would scare my wife every time we watched it. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him in.
    2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

I am really enjoying watching this one again. As for comparing this one to the remake... that is something I don't normally like to do... but sometimes it is just too hard not to. I really like both versions... like them both a lot! but I think I have to say I enjoy this one the most between the 2. I don't know why... but to me this one is a pure classic when it comes to vampire movies... it is one of the ones to beat!

Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies. Now... please lets see a dvd release of Return to Salem's Lot! It has been so long since I seen the sequel I can't remember anything other then it's existence.

My Rating: 4.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 30
    Time Started: 3:30pm

18. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I agree. I dont even own 2 anymore. I have the old DVDs of 1 and 3 and Im thinking about the boxset but I hate 2. Every time someone says they like it I wonder if theyre confusing it with one of the other ones. :lol:

19. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 7th and 8th

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Zontar John Agar says “A drink I could use,” well I wish I'd had one. At times hilarious and others sleep inducing. Zontar commands you sleep! And boy did I start to doze at the halfway mark of this sucker. The Eye Creatures on the other hand was just as hilarious, but not so much with the sleepy time.

Friday night after work I watched Strange Invaders. Hadn't seen it in years. Still a lot of fun, with some cool creepy alien effects.

20. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

13. The Vanishing
    -All I could manage today as college football and Strikeforce on Showtime tonight has got in the way. This is the remake, which is definitely an inferior film compared to the original. However, it was there for free on demand, and I hate to watch real horror movies in the daylight...so I went for it before the football started. Bridges is excellent as always, but Kiefer Sutherland stinks (as I think he has in almost everything except Lost Boys)....can't manage more than a 4/10 for this one, and that's only for Bridges.
    I will look to start doing some damage on Monday, as I have the day off from work!