The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Movie #5 : The Gates of Hell (aka City of The Living Dead) (1980)

[​IMG]

My first (and certainly not my last) Italian film of the season! Fulci delivers here with one of the most "Italian" films I've ever seen : Bizarre visuals? Check! Over-the-top gore? Check! A nonsensical plot (w/pointless subplot)? Check! One of the most bizarre (and awesome) endings I've ever seen? Check! This all adds up to one enjoyable horror flik.
    easily up there with "The Beyond" and "Zombie" on my list of favorite Fulci fliks.

BTW : I know that the actual title is "City of the Living Dead", but I've known it as "Gates of Hell" since I first rented it from our local video store years ago, so that's what it'll always be to me.

2. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Since it is now after midnight,my first movie of the Halloween season is officially Night Warning,A.K.A.Butcher,Baker Nightmare Maker.The paperback just came in the mail today,but I wanted to see the flick first.

3. Spit

Spit Active Member

Reserved!
    Well its almost 10:40 here on Sept 30 and I'm gonna plug Trick r' Treat in to get into the proper October mood. Its my first semester as a PhD student and I'm pretty swamped so I'm sure I wont watch as many movies as I did last year, but I'm still looking forward to a horror filled october!!! This year I'm going to try to watch ONLY horror movies this month so BRING IT ON!

OCTOBER
    Trick r' Treat - A new classic. Its got everything you could want from a halloween themed film.
    The Devils Rejects - Grows on me every time I see it. Yeah, its not a masterpiece but its got some really good bits in it. Tootie Fucking Fruitie.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  4. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

October 1
    1. Haxan*

*-first time viewing

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well, like many of you I decided to cheat a little and kick start the festivities a little bit early:

[​IMG]

Bit of an odd choice but the mood struck me, plus it's not really October yet. Not a good Batman; terrible designs with characters acting completely off the map. Joker was an entirely mindless brute, just a thug. Surprisingly this was a decent vampire tale, with Dracula having more of his origins intact compared perhaps even to Batman himself. A few vampire rules were broken but most movies invariably break one or two. It's a shame all the time and effort for this had to be spent re-imaging instead of just imagining.

Next up will be what is now an annual tradition in my house at the stroke of midnight on October 1st:
    [​IMG] hosted by [​IMG]

The only known episode of The Vampira Show existent.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 1st
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1) Basket Case 2: An impressive sequel. Does a great job of continuing the story line and focusing on the dilemma of the brothers finally tying to lead separate lives. Hennlotter clearly had a bigger budget with this film and it shows. Belial looks even more frighten and not to mention the array of imaginative freaks that run wild in this film. A must see for fans of the original! (7/10)

2) Ginger Snaps Unleashed: Despite the silly, head scratcher of an ending, Ginger Snaps 2 is a nice little follow up to it's processor. It was interesting to see Bridgette trying to cope with her new found powers in a rehab setting and the character Ghost was a nice Yin to Bridgette's Yang. But at the end of the day I have to admit this was rather unnecessary sequel. (7/10)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Trick 'r Treat
    Year: 2008
    Director: Michael Dougherty
    Rating: R
    Length: 82 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    Dylan Baker
    Rochelle Aytes
    Quinn Lord
    Lauren Lee Smith
    Moneca Delain
    Tahmoh Penikett

Plot:
    A creepy, darkly comic celebration of the scariest night of the year from producer BRYAN SINGER (director of X-Men and Superman Returns) and writer-director MICHAEL DOUGHERTY (co-scripter of X2 and Superman Returns ). Trick 'R Treat takes the Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt approach to nefarious new depths with four interwoven tales set on Halloween night: a high school principal (DYLAN BAKER) moonlights as a vicious serial killer; the quest of a young virgin (ANNA PAQUIN) for that special someone takes a gruesome turn; a group of teens carries out a cruel prank with disastrous consequences; and a cantankerous old man (BRIAN COX) battles a mischievous trick-or-treating demon.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Bonus Trailers
    Animated Short: Season's Greetings with Optional Commentary

My Thoughts:
    This is one of the ones I was really looking forward to seeing... as I always loved anthology horrors. While it is technically an anthology horror... it isn't the way I know anthologies at least. Instead of having 3 or 4 separate short stories along with a wraparound storyline... this one is done more like a regular movie with all the stories intertwined with each other. While not bad... I prefer the traditional format of an anthology. Now with that said... I did enjoy all the stories in it... even though I did have some of the stories figured out ahead of time. I liked the one with the girls finding dates. That storyline has Anna Paquin in it... who I find adorable. I have enjoyed her since I first saw her as Sookie in True Blood. I normally don't go for blondes... but in the case of Anna Paquin I think she looks better as a blonde. Over all I enjoyed it quite a bit. Think it was a good start to my marathon.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 1
    TV Ep. Count: 0
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 12am

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009)

[​IMG]

Yeah, not too sure about this one, guys. Sluggish scenes of mostly shouting dialogue and flat humor. But hey! First film of October.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: The Wolfman: Unrated Director's Cut
    Year: 2010
    Director: Joe Johnston
    Rating: Unrated
    Length: 119 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
    Simon Merrells
    Cemma Whelan
    Emily Blunt
    Benicio Del Toro
    Mario Marin-Borquez
    Asa Butterfield

Plot:
    Academy Award® winners Anthony Hopkins* (The Silence of the Lambs) and Benicio Del Toro** (Traffic) tear up the screen in this action-packed thriller. Lawrence Talbot (Del Toro) is lured back to his family estate to investigate the savage murder of his brother by a bloodthirsty beast. There, Talbot must confront his childhood demons, his estranged father (Hopkins), his brother's grieving fiancée (Emily Blunt, The Devil Wears Prada) and a suspicious Scotland Yard Inspector (Hugo Weaving, The Matrix Trilogy). When Talbot is bitten by the creature, he becomes eternally cursed and soon discovers a fate far worse than death.

Inspired by the classic Universal film that launched a legacy of horror, The Wolfman brings the myth of a cursed man back to its iconic origins.

*1991 Best Actor, The Silence of the Lambs
    **2000 Best Supporting Actor, Traffic

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Bonus Trailers
    Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
    The 1941 Wolf Man has always been one of my classic horror movies. So when I first found out they were remaking it I felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension. I always though the trick to a good remake was to change enough to give us a new take on the story... but at the same time make it similar enough to do the original version justice. Which can be very hard to get the right balance. In the case of The Wolf Man I think they did a pretty good job at achieving this balance. Even though there was some things changed in the story that I didn't care for... but there were some things that I also did care for as well. One thing I am thrilled about is they kept the classic look of the Wolf Man. Over-all I enjoyed it quite a bit and glad I finally have it in my collection.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 2
    Time Started: 3am

10. CCF

CCF New Member

11. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I take it you're watching that DVD-R that Vampira's Attic occasionally sells and not the DVD whose cover you posted? Just wondering, if the Vampira hosted one exists on an actual DVD I want to get it!

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 1st
    [​IMG]
    Movie #1, around 2:30 AM -
    Burnt Offerings (1976) - **1/2/5

Oliver Reed is terrible (that's what they paid him for), Karen Black is okay (she's mostly a freaky face), the kid is... the kid (explains itself), Bette Davis is great but they make her look like shit. The dialogue is ancient, the drama is stale, but somewhere between the music and the pretty good camerawork, it passes as watchable. Great ending. But that's the only time it's ever great.

13. gonna see what's on FearNet when i get home!!

14. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I actually picked this up on DVD about 5 years ago from Big Lots for 3 bucks....and never got around to watching it, lol. Maybe this year will finally be the season.....

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  15. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I started off October on a different note, no horror yet.

I watched Big Time, the old Tom Waits video. A real treat for anyone who's never seen it.

16. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Flight of the Living Dead: Outbreak on a Plane: Unrated
    Year: 2007
    Director: Scott Thomas
    Length: 94 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio: English: DTS ES: 6.1 (Discrete), English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
    David Chisum
    Kristen Kerr
    Kevin J. O'Connor
    Richard Tyson
    Erick Avari
    Derek Webster

Plot:
    Unholy terror is unleashed in the skies when a deadly, genetically engineered virus is released onboard a transatlantic flight to Paris in this heart-stopping thrill-ride of terror!

When a scientist on the run from the CIA manages to smuggle a contaminated body onto a commercial overseas flight, the plane becomes an incubator for a quickly growing army of the undead. With a zombie invasion spreading through the cabin, only a handful of passengers remains to fight off their fellow travelers and land the plane before it's too late.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Bonus Trailers
    Outtakes/Bloopers
    DVD-ROM Content
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    Even when I decided to get this one... I knew it would be one that I couldn't expect much from. So I went into this with very low expectations. And I think it was a pretty good idea I went into it with such low expectations. This is not what I would call a good movie. I was able to enjoy some scenes... but over-all I found it to be a bit lackluster. It really took quite a bit of time to get going. And most of the characters I just couldn't get myself to care about. Also... while I can't put my finger on it... the zombies felt a little off to me. But once this movie got going it had some decent zombie action/gore. But over all it is just an average zombie flick. I can see myself watching it again... but not as often as some in my collection.

My Rating: 2.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 3
    Time Started: 12pm

17. JBPumpkin

JBPumpkin New Member

My first fright flick for October will be Adam Green's "Frozen". I'm also hoping to catch a showing of "Hatchet II" at some point this weekend, but my boyfriend doesn't really care for extreme gore - hopefully, I can talk him into it.

18. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

OCTOBER 1ST-
    The Burning
    He Knows You're Alone

OCTOBER 2ND-
    Terminal Island

OCTOBER 3RD-
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers

OCTOBER 4TH-
    Halloween 4

OCTOBER 5TH-
    Halloween 4

OCTOBER 6TH-

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  19. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Darkness: Unrated Version
    Year: 2002
    Director: Jaume Balagueró
    Length: 102 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
    Anna Paquin
    Lena Olin
    Iain Glen
    Giancarlo Giannini
    Fele Martínez
    Stephan Enquist

Plot:
    This extended unrated version of the hit thriller Darkness teams award winner Anna Paquin (X-Men ) with Lena Olin (Hollywood Homicide, Chocolat) and Iain Glen (Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) as a family whose life forever changes when they move into a new home with an ancient secret! Not long after Regina (Paquin) begins living in her family's remote country estate, she learns that there's something horribly disturbing about the old place. Even as her parents dismiss her concerns, strange things begin to happen whenever the lights go out. Soon Regina realizes that a series of escalating supernatural events will unleash the full evil that resides in their house...and once it's released you'll experience it like never before in this scarier, more shocking unrated version!

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Feature Trailers
    Bonus Trailers
    Featurettes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    While looking through my unwatched DVDs... I spotted this movie. Another one I never seen with the adorable Anna Paquin (Sookie on True Blood). This one also has another familiar face with Lena Olin who was in a good handful of episodes of Alias. This one tries hard to make a good atmospheric movie... unfortunately it fell short for me. While not a terrible movie as it does have it's moments... I found myself watching the clock almost as much as I was watching the movie.

My Rating: 2.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 4
    Time Started: 4pm

20. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I watched The Beyond, because what better way to start off the season than one of the greatest of all time? Also checked out Zombieland, but that was in the afternoon yesterday. Great flick.