The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If you liked The Amityville Horror, my guess is you'll find this one easily inferior. But I think it's shorter (by maybe 2 minutes), so- nothing to lose? Just remember my ratin' and you can't wrong. :D

October 1st
    [​IMG]
    Movie #2, around 5:00 AM -
    The Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977) - ***/5

I don't know if there are any religious people here, but I believe the message from this movie is: science is shit, God is real, religion good, and- watch out for those spearchuckers because they're also dead-on with the rocks too. So, the message is retarded. And the historical stuff will make you move your legs a lot to make sure you're still awake and haven't fallen into a coma... However, the first 50-something minutes go by like a bullet and the ending is an absolute laugh-riot. I dare you not to crack up! I had a ball with it and it more than made up for the turkey section. The music is so terrible; this has got to be one of Morricone's saddest hours.

2. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

First!

Er, I mean, this space reserved...

Looking at a lot of films I've never seen before - some embarrassing to admit!

10.01 - Ghostbusters. Ignore what I just said. Starting off easy so the girl is desensitized for nights she has to be in bed at a reasonable time for work the next day.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

horror marathon day 1

Hi guys, just found your fantastic site recently and although i have done mini movie marathons on the run up to halloween for many years i have never attempted to cram as many in as many as the fanatics on this forum, so this will be a real test of stamina for myself for the next month

I started off today with my unholy trinity of horror movies , the universal classics of Dracula , Frankenstein and the Wolfman. These films take me back to my childhood and watching these with my old man late on a friday night on bbc2 which started my lifelong love affair with the horror genre.

movies watched 3

4. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Like many I jumped in a little early at a little after ten with Final Exam. Nothing like partying with Wildman. After a brief intermission it was officially October. I popped in House on Sorority Row. I love both of these campus slashers. Both are fun and filled with great characters.

September 30th-

[​IMG]

Final Exam (1981) ****

October 1st-

[​IMG]

The House on Sorority Row (1983) ****

5. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Starting this year off with FRIGHT NIGHT (1985)

7. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 1st

[​IMG]

8. Spit

Spit Active Member

Does anyone else think Eric Binford looks a little like Marylin Manson in that post? ^^

9. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

October 1
    01. Jaws 3-D (1983)

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 01

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2001 Maniacs: Field Of Screams:
    Crap, crap, crap. Some decent nudity but nothing much else. Pretty much painful to sit through.

Pig Hunt:If you go into this one expecting group of friends vs a giant killer boar then you'll be disappointed. But still surprisingly enjoyable despite the false advertising.

Road Kill: A big ole mess of a movie but a cool score, nice scenery, some freaky moments, and a likable performance from Sophie Lowe kept me watching...plus I just had to find out if they could salvage a story from the mess.

11. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Movie #6 : Evil Ed (1995)

[​IMG]

An amazing over-the-top Swedish horror-comedy about a normal man that, after getting a job as a film editor on the ultra-brutal "Loose Limbs" Gore fest series, is warped by the films and goes from horrid hallucinations to a murderous rampage. It's a great play on the idea of the potential evil of censorship, and is filled to the brim with great horror homages.

It's also one of the few films that can make you laugh out loud and then thoroughly creep you out in the span of a a few minutes. It's easily on par with "Dead Alive" as far as the slapstick-y, over-the-top gore and wacky action goes, but, at the the same, it's dimly lit sets and cool blue lighting bring to mind the best and creepiest scenes of the first 2 "Hellraiser" fliks.

Bill Mosely also delivers with an amazing voice only cameo that's not to be missed. Highly recommended

12. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I actually prefer the Amityville sequels to the original (I just find the original to be a bit sluggish and boring, though not a terrible flik by any stretch), but I'm still all about giving "Burnt Offerings" a go this year. I'll definitely keep your review in mind when I get around to checking it out.

13. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

flick #2 of the season: The Mutilator (Dragon uncut version).So many moments of cheesy pleasure to be had here...and maskull, the wondrous breasts of Nicole Rae (Scarlet Red) in 2001 Maniacs 2 make the movie worth enduring,even if the production does reek of cheap.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 1 - Nightmare on Elm Street on blu (the original)

15. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Corman's Humanoids From The Deep A.K.A. Monster uncut..great nudity here. ;0

On Sept 30th (which I'm technically not counting,as Oct 1st starts the Halloween season for me),I did a double feature of Code Red's Horror High ( a bit draggy,but trippy and fun with some great moments),and Slaughter High (Marty Rantzen's acid-scarred mug is always a treat,esp in widescreen).

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sssssss (1973)

Sssstill a fun 'Mad Scientist' flick even with Dirk Benedict's poor acting. I also love the educational first 30 minutes where the audience is told facts about venomous Ssssnakes. The Ending is a riot!
    October/Halloween Score: 3/5 for including Mad Scientist, Animal Attack, Creature Effects, Sinister Experiments, Carnival Scene, Sideshow Scene, Slow Motion Shower Scene, Fight Scene, Skinny Dipping.

Horror Rises from the Tomb (1973)

Paul Naschy and friends lounge at an old mansion and encounter undead bloodthirsty ancestors. Entertaining over-the-top Eurotrash with splashes of gore and flashes of boobs.
    October/Halloween Score: 5/5 for including Ghostly Vampiristic Creatures, White-eyed Zombies, Organ Music, Fog, Old Mansion, Lynchmob, Decapitation, Snowfall, Damp Autumn Atmosphere, Seance, Funny Dubbing, Robbery, Fight Scene, Sickle-Kill.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    OCTOBER 1: DRACULA, Prince of Darkness; DRACULA Has Risen from the Grave (obviously)

18. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Girls Nite Out...because I like maniacs in bear suits with masking-taped steak knives standing in for claws,and blood that looks like red paint.

Next up: Knock Knock (no,not the Mama's Family where Iola goes berserk and forces the Harpers to lock themselves in a closet while she rampages through Raytown).

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Gotta love the Theatrical poster:

[​IMG]

20. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 1st
    [​IMG]
    Movie #3, around 7:00 AM -
    Hell Night (1981) - ***/5

Really slow, but I like it that way. The killer is not scary but the mood is great, the music is good (the opening song is much better and sets a beautiful tone... too bad they didn't go for a darker, perhaps more sadistic feel because that song would have really been a good igniter for it). The dialogue is pretty good, though there are some really stupid moments (why does Seth congratulate himself in the mirror for rocking Denise's world when he never took off his shorts?). Overall, I'm willing to go on record and say this is still far better than the vast majority of the post-Halloween and Friday the 13th slashers (especially the likes of The Initiation) and exploitation killer flicks.

[​IMG]
    Movie #4, around 2:00 PM -
    House by the Cemetery (1981) - **1/2/5

The pure definition of style over substance. Would really suck if so much of it weren't so laughable ("NO! NOT THE CHILDREN!", "Why don't you take those pills your baker prescribed?"). However, it's worth sitting through at least once for the music score (Fulci's best?) and the excellent camerawork and atmosphere. As per usual with low budget horror, the women rule. Catriona MacColl and Silvia Collatina give the real performances, Ania Pieroni is gorgeous but is wasted, and the males are utterly ridiculous. I do not have the time to take Paolo Malco apart, but let's just say his serial killer closeups are beyond silly. The gore added nothing as well (notice how the knife blade wobbles after it goes through that girl's head and Mrs. Giddleson's death is stupid and tedious, as most of Fulci's protracted splatter scenes typically are). Great epilogue/coda ending, though.