The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i will be watching..

8 diagram pole fighter
    return of the five deadly venoms
    ong bak 2
    shogun assassin (blu)
    born to fight
    dynamite warrior
    king boxer

will be a nice change of pace.., although i'm watching GARGOYLES at the moment so i guess im still in October mode after all..

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Same here. November is always the time I like to watch some kung-fu films and Godzilla flicks as well.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2010 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    The Monster Squad (1987) 9/10
    Night of the Creeps (1986) 7.5/10
    Are You Afraid of the Dark S:1 - The Tale of the Twisted Claw (1992) 7/10
    The Office S:2 - Halloween (2005) 7/10
    The Dark (1979) 6.5/10
    C.H.U.D. (1984) 8/10
    REC (2007) 8.5/10
    Pieces (1982) 7.5/10
    The Being (1983) 6/10
    Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror (1980) 7/10
    One Dark Night (1983) 7/10
    Girls Nite Out (1984) 8/10
    Home Improvement S:2 - Haunting of Taylor House (1992) 8/10
    Groovie Goolies S:1 - 1-2-3 (1970) 5/10
    Howling 2: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985) 7.5/10
    The Wolfman (2010) 8/10
    Howling 3: The Marsupials (1987) 3.5/10
    An American Werewolf in London (1981) 9/10
    Harper's Island S:1 - Whap (2009) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:3 - Crazy for You (1993) 8.5/10
    Slumber Party Massacre (1982) 7.5/10
    Slumber Party Massacre 2 (1987) 7/10
    Reeker (2005) 7/10
    Village of the Damned (1960) 7.5/10
    Children of the Damned (1963) 6/10
    Village of the Damned (1995) 7/10
    It's Alive! (1974) 8/10
    Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2007) 6.5/10
    Slumber Party Massacre 3 (1990) 7/10
    It's Alive 2: It Lives Again (1978) 6/10
    Harper's Island S:1 - Crackle (2009) 7/10
    It's Alive 3: Island of the Alive (1987) 6/10
    The Horror of Dracula (1958) 8.5/10
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) 8/10
    Home Improvement S:4 - Borland Ambition (1994) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:5 - Let Them Eat Cake (1995) 6/10
    Home Improvement S:6 - I Was a Teenage Taylor (1996) 7.5/10
    Home Improvement S:8 - Bewitched (1998) 8/10
    Roseanne S:1 - Boo! (1989) 9/10
    Roseanne S:2 - Trick or Treat (1990) 8.5/10
    Roseanne S:3 - Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down (1991) 8/10
    Night of the Demons (2009) 7.5/10
    Midnight Movie (2008) 7/10
    The Mummy (1959) 7.5/10
    Roseanne S:4 - Halloween IV (1992) 7.5/10
    It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966) 6/10
    The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) 7/10
    Halloween (1978) 9.5/10
    Halloween 2 (1981) 8/10
    The Willies (1991) 6/10
    Roseanne S:5 - Halloween V (1993) 7/10
    The Walking Dead S:1 – Days Gone By (2010) 8.5/10
    The Evil Dead (1981) 9/10
    Roseanne S:6 - Skeleton in the Closet (1994) 7.5/10
    Hell Night (1981) 8.5/10
    Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982) 9/10
    Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) 7/10
    Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) 7/10
    Suspiria (1977) 9.5/10
    Phantasm (1979) 8.5/10

A little late with this, but what the hell.

The Walking Dead S:1 – Days Gone By (2010) - I already wrote my thoughts about this episode in the thread dedicated to it, but I will just literate that I was totally blown away by this. It lived up to if not surpassed all my expectations for it and I can see it being one of my favourite shows ever. Everything worked in it include the Directing, writing, acting, and zombie makeup and gore. Most importantly though it all felt real. The dialog at the beginning really worked for me as did the scene where the dad is aiming the scope at his dead wife. I was surprised to see an emotional scene like that work so well in a zombie related media. I can't wait for the second episode! And yes, I watched this episode a feel days before it aired (I downloaded it since they don't offer the channel in my city), but will make up for it by purchasing the series when it hits Blu Ray or DVD. I actually have had the episode for a week now but just didn't get around to watching it until now.

The Evil Dead (1981) - I've always liked the first two Evil Dead movies but I've always been a bigger fan of Army of Darkness. Not sure if it's because that's what I saw first or just because Ash is so badass in it, but I never loved the earlier films the same. Well i don't know what has changed. maybe it's how amazing the film looks on Blu, or maybe it's just the mood I was in, but I really loved watching Evil Dead this time. The horror elements were done quite well, especially the tree rape scene, and there's something about that audio recording that is just creepy, but what i really loved were all the make up effects and gore. I forget how crazy all the people eventually get by the end of this and it was just a lot of messy fun!

Roseanne S:6 - Skeleton in the Closet (1994) - This episode like most of the others was a lot of fun. This time about Roseanne finding out that her Mother may be bald and Jackie's husband Fred may be gay. What can I say, I love the pranks pulled in this shows.

Hell Night (1981) - Well due to a Wedding the day before, I had start early on Halloween to make up for it. I thought it would be a good idea to start with Hell Night. This has been a Halloween favourite that seems to get better and better every time I watch it. I remember the first time I saw it I liked the set up and atmosphere but was disappointed in the lack of gore. Well once you get past that (Even though the kills aren't terrible) it is such a fun movie. I love the characters and the whole idea behind it. And for the most part they don't make the stupid mistakes you see in most slasher films.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982) - One of my favourite horror films that again just gets better every time I watch it. I was like many that hated this film due to its lack of Michael Myers. Really I just don't think i gave it a chance. Well all that has changed in the last few years and now it is a yearly tradition that is as important to watch to me as the first two films in the franchise. It represents the season well and has one of the best horror movies scores ever. It also has Tom Atkins who has become a favourite of mine over the years. Oh, and can;t forget the awesome jingle for the Silver Shramrock masks! it may all be a little ridiculous, but who cares really!?

Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)- Ernest flicks have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and I think this one delivers just what you'd expect from a kids Halloween movie. It's a lot of fun, has some actually funny moments, and I really liked the troll costume designs.

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - I don't like this one as much as a lot of others seem to. It is a nice return for Michael Myers, but it doesn't deliver like the first three do. Danielle Harris is great, but the mask is terrible, and the suspense of the first two is severely lacking. It really makes you appreciate how well Carpenter delivered the first film. I'm pretty sure I even enjoy part 5 more just because I remember it offering a better seasonal atmosphere (Although don't quote me on that as I didn't get a chance to recheck that one out this year).

Suspiria (1977) - This film is another favourite and I'm glad I saved it for the final night of the month. This film has some of the best Directing, imagery, and lighting ever seen in my opinion. The kills are also awesomely gruesome, especially the opening kills! The fear and tension is also masterfully delivered right up until the end.

Phantasm (1979) - I only recently became a fan of this franchise, but I now think it is one of the best. The first film is probably the best thanks to it's nightmarish quality. It may not all totally make sense, but that doesn't matter and is what makes it work. The Tall Man is also a quality boogeyman and the music adds so much to the films atmosphere and is one of the better horror soundtracks out there.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Total Films Watched This Month: 41
    Total TV Episode Watched This Month: 17

I didn't end up watching quite as many movies as I hoped to, but considering it was a crazy month and the fact that I could barely stay up past 11 on most days, I would say I did pretty good. Most importantly though I beat last year's record of 39!

This year I made sure to get some of my favourites in as opposed to just watching movies from my unwatched pile, as I ended up not getting to a lot of them last year. Again though, there were still a few that I wanted to watch but just ran out of time. I did manage to watch quite a few flicks for the first time though, and these were the titles that really stood out for me.

The Horror of Dracula (1958)
    Girls Nite Out (1984)
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Wolfman (2010)
    One Dark Night (1983)
    Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
    The Mummy (1959)

Honorable mention since it was so damn bad but also so damn fun goes to...

Howling 2: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985)

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I picked these up too over the week, and will be giving them a spin this month

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Late update.

Third week of October:

Shaun the Sheep: Little Sheep of Horrors: My GF loves cute stuff, so she picked this up. It's six short episodes of the Aardman Studios stop-motion animated show, most of which have a spooky theme. It's not as good as Wallace & Gromit, but what is? This is obviously made for young kids, but like W&G it shows that the chaps at Aardman like their scary movies as they reference them quite a bit. Recommended for the young 'uns.

Paranormal Activity: I first saw this last year at a packed midnight show. It worked great in that context, but I was worried it might not stand up at home (despite home viewing being arguably a better setting for a "found footage" movie). No worries though. This is very well done for what it is and the intensity from subtle supernatural goings-on escalating to an all-out attack from an unseen assailant holds up very well. There are some flaws in logic (even if an "expert" advises them that leaving the house won't help, it certainly wouldn't hurt so why not try it?). The alternate ending is good, but wouldn't work with the sequel.

[​IMG]

Third weekend of October:

Paranormal Activity 2: This is both a prequel and a sequel to Paranormal Activity. It has a much slower start to it than the first film, but towards the end it gets more intense than the first. All in all, a great follow-up that maintains the style of the original, and the shock moments certainly worked on the audience I saw it with. I hope the Japanese spin-off Paranormal Activity: Tokyo Night gets released here.

Wes Craven's My Soul to Take 3-D: First of all, there was no reason for this to be in 3-D. Beyond that, it wasn't particularly good, but it had an oddness to it that I found engaging. I liked the camaraderie between the two main kids. It seemed like a riff on Nightmare 4, where both the killer and his ultimate victim benefit from each death. More could have been done with this angle though; odd that Craven missed the opportunity to show up one of his bastard Freddy stepchildren and instead just kinda borrowed from it. It didn't "feel" like a Wes Craven film anyway. Best line: "What men will do to you in prison is nothing compared to what demons will do to you in hell!"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009) *
    Catfish (2010) *** [In my defense, I thought this was going to be Horror or at least Thriller.]
    Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones (1973) **** [New Blu-Ray prerelease screening at Magnolia Theater showroom. So that was cool.]
    The Crazies (2009) ***
    The Fourth Kind (2009) [Stopped at 40 min mark, no stars awarded] Fell asleep. Couldn't help it. I love Milla. No go.
    Treehouse of Horror XVI
    Treehouse of Horror VI
    Treehouse of Horror V
    Treehouse of Horror XIV
    Treehouse of Horror IV
    Treehouse of Horror XIII
    Treehouse of Horror III
    Treehouse of Horror II

I don't know what happened. I barely watched anything! Really a poor showing this year. I did catch about 7 or 8 Treehouse of Horror episodes, which was fun, but then I ended up going to Boulder and Minneapolis and kinda lost track in between.

I didn't even watch The Monster Squad or Suspiria. What? I just...I just don't know what happened. I did dress up as a Ski Patrol guy and see Ween on Halloween, though.

8. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Late late update.

Last week of October:

The Rocky Horror Glee Show: I'm not a regular viewer, but I tuned in for this. (I even bought the soundtrack CD a few days before.) I liked it; it was fun and for the most part, very well done. At least the teacher acknowledges up front that some things will need to be changed / edited for high school presentation. The actual altered song lyrics seem odd and inconsistent, however. I imagine it was done to try and show what a HS Rocky Horror might have to be like, as opposed to any actual problems with the network (Fox shows Family Guy in prime time, after all). My GF, who is a long-time RH fan, really liked their Riff Raff and the set design. Best line: "Halloween is that time of year when we dress our little boys like little girls, and dress our little girls like tramps." Actually, the Evil Coach Lady's entire monologue about our favorite holiday was pretty good. What's up with her mini-me though?

Children of the Corn (1984): Children of the Cheese anyone? Does this have any kind of following nowadays? It has not aged well (and was probably never that good to begin with). Stupid main characters (and the man was a condescending jackass to his wife), unintentionally funny evil kids, and a laughably bad climax. Some good music and a few creepy moments, though.

Rifftrax Live: House on Haunted Hill: Another great show from the RT crew. For the uninitiated, the color version of the movie is riffed in front of a live audience in Nashville by Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett of MST3K fame. The event is beamed to theaters across the country by Fathom Events. HOHH benefits from being a good movie in its own right, but there's certainly comic potential and the Riffers nailed it. One of the highlights of these shows are the shorts they riff before the movie. Some really bizarre, obscure, and sometimes disturbing stuff. They had one about a grocery store witch criticizing shoppers for wasting money on things like real milk, when powdered condensed milk is just as good but much cheaper (yeah right), and a disturbed kid learning amazing things about paper from a talking paper bag. I highly recommend everyone get out and give these RT Live shows a try.

[​IMG]

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Final update.

HALLOWEEKEND:

Halloween II (2009): When I saw this in a theater, I loved it. It gave me that electric, spine-tingling feeling that only a good new movie starring an old favorite character (Godzilla, Jason, etc.) can. It was an improvement over Zombie's flawed H1. It felt like an especially brutal '80s slasher. I thought the ghostly visions of Michael's mom were a great and interesting way to get into the head of a hulking mute killing machine. That said, I was disappointed w/ the Director's Cut on BD. Laurie is given more "rant time," and for a character that needs to be more sympathetic, that's not a good thing.
    I thought the theatrical ending w/ Laurie killing Michael, taking the mask, and being carted away to an institution to commune w/ her dead mom was much better and more full-circle satisfying than just having both gunned down by trigger-happy cops.
    Thanks to *someone* (Sony, the Weinsteins, Rob himself?) refusing to put both cuts on the BDs, now I have to look for the superior theatrical version for cheap on DVD (like I did w/ H1) for this to become a true holiday staple. Thanks guys! :mad:

Trick 'r Treat: This, on the other hand, is most definitely a new holiday staple. It captures not just the look of Halloween, but the feel and the meaning of it as well. It's also a great anthology in that all of the stories are good, and they all interconnect in both major and subtle ways. It boggles my mind that this awesome movie was shelved for a couple years before going straight to video. This is a New Classic.

Halloween (1978): There's nothing new to say about this classic that hasn't already been said. It's quite possibly the single most influential horror film ever made. I'll just say that it looks great on Blu-ray; a very noticeable improvement over my old DVD (the 2-disc Anchor Bay LE w/ the extended TV version). I can't comment on the extras (haven't watched them yet), but the improved AV quality alone is worth the upgrade.

[​IMG]

And I'm done. Already looking forward to next year. Second Halloween in a new house: Time to get serious w/ the decor and trick-or-treat set-up.