The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 1st - LET ME IN (2010) ****

2. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Pterodactyl
    Year: 2005
    Director: Mark L. Lester
    Rating: NR
    Length: 92 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
    Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
    Cameron Daddo
    Coolio
    Amy Sloan
    George Calil
    Ivo Cutzarida
    Steve Braun

Plot:
    Deep in the heart of the Turkish Forest lies Mt. Ararat, a dormant volcano that holds within itself a deadly and prehistoric secret that has been asleep for millions of years...until now. Not knowing the threat that awaits them, tow separate expeditions make their way into the heart of the forest and closer to the volcano. Captain Bergen (Coolio) leads his military special ops unit on a manhunt for a dangerous terrorist, while Professor Lovecraft (Cameron Daddo) and his team of scientists search for clues to the past when they make a dangerous discovery — hatching Pterodactyl eggs! Faced with the threat of the flesh-eating predators, both groups come to the realization that they must rely on one another if they plan on making out of the forest alive! With non-stop action and explosive graphics, PTERODACTYL will make your fear take flight!

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Bonus Trailers
    Gallery
    Production Notes
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    I wanted to start the day with one I never seen before. When I first saw the trailer for this one it looked cheesy and low budget... yes... but for some reason it also looked like fun to me. Apparently this one originally was shown on the premium channel Showtime. The pterodactyls themselves looked pretty cool. The gore was definitely present in this one as people wore torn apart. Some of the effects here was decent... but other effects were bad... laughable even. Where this one really failed for me was the writing. The dialog desperately needed a re-write... though the basic story was just fine. I did find that the action and effects brought the picture up enough for me to enjoy the movie. So I am surprisingly glad I have this one in my collection... and can definitely see myself watching it again.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 5
    TV Ep. Count: 0
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 5:30am

3. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

october the 1st

[​IMG]

Finished off my 1st day viewing with random pick from my standby pile
    The zombie diaries is a british made low budget gem from 2006 , although high on atmosphere it is slow on zombie action. Filmed in a blair witch style, following the outbreak of a mysterious virus which turns people into zombies. The film is broken up in to 3 segments, The 1st segment follows a news crew at the outbreak of the virus and this makes sense why this would be filmed but the second and third segments continuing 1 month later defy logic of why people would be filming their daily fight for survival.
    Despite some bad acting and plot holes there is a enjoyable little flick here

Attached Files:

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  5. 3invertednines

3invertednines New Member

Nice choice!

I got through 3/4 of Amityville II before Netflix pulled it from their streaming rotation. Oh well. Started watching Shock Waves instead.

6. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    A Haunting: Season 3
    New Dominion Picture's A Haunting: Season 3, takes you inside ten real-life horror stories that originally aired on the Discovery Channel. Each eerie one-hour episode features eyewitness accounts and cinematic re-inactments of some of the most spine-tingling, ghostly hauntings ever recorded. Even the most skeptical observer will be shocked and intrigued by these spellbinding tales

Visit the centuries-old pub in northern England, haunted by a gruesome past, the dream house that turns into a nightmare, and the famously creepy haunting in Ireland. This three DVD set of the third season of A Haunting explores these and many other unexplainable, creepy and macabre tales of the paranormal. By the end of each amazing story, you will experience a lingering sense that life and death are much stranger then you could have possibly imagined!

Hidden Terror
    Mike Speranza finds the perfect fixer-upper in Corning, NY. After he and his girlfriend Lisa move in, she is plagued by an inconsolable sorrow, uncharacteristic of her. Lisa is unable to pull herself out of the dark depression that has suddenly taken hold of her. At night, Mike hears footsteps running throughout the house and is eventually visited by ghostly figures.

My Thoughts:
    I wanted to work a little on my TV episodes as well... so thought I would watch the next episode where I left off last. But it appears I forgot to mark this episode as watched... Because I have seen this one before. But it is a pretty interesting story. I enjoyed watching it.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 5
    TV Ep. Count: 1
    Time Started: 8:30am

7. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

october 2nd

THE ZOMBIE DIARIES (2006)
    Low budget independant movie from the uk, high and atmosphere but low on zombies, filmmakers try too pull off a blair witch feel but just fall short, not any where near the quality of romero or fulci, but still worth an hour and a half of anyones time.
    SCORE 3/5

8. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  9. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

What a fun film. That poster is one of my prized possessions.

10. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Webs: Sci Fi Essentials
    Year: 2003
    Director: David Wu
    Rating: R
    Length: 87 Min.
    Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio: English: :

Stars:
    Richard Grieco
    Kate Greenhouse
    Colin Fox
    Richard Yearwood
    Jeff Douglas
    David Nerman

Plot:
    When a group of electrical workers are sent to investigate a bizarre power source in an abandoned Chicago building, they find a deserted laboratory. Inside is what they suspect is a defunct nuclear power core, opening up a portal to a parallel universe.

suddenly they're trapped in a maddening mirror-world where savage, cannibalistic humans with spider appendages stalk and swarm. Here, a dwindling band of survivors fight back with primative weapons against the growing storm of spider-people and their monstrous queen. These two groups must join forces to defeat the queen and find their way through the portal and away from the terror.

Extras:
    Scene Access

My Thoughts:
    I must admit I was pretty hesitant about this one what with my arachnophobia. But thankfully there is only 1 spider looking creature in this movie (the queen) and she isn't really seen all that often.Those infected by her looks like a zombie-like mutation. Some reason while watching this movie I couldn't help but to think of the TV Series Sliders... what with the alternate Earth and all. This one has Richard Grieco in it. I know him from 21 Jump Street and his spin off series from it... Booker. I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a terrible movie. It definitely has it's moments. But not one I liked a lot either. But glad I checked it out... and have it in my collection. I can see myself watching it again.

Count:
    Movie Count: 6
    TV Ep. Count: 1
    Time Started: 9:45am

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Rare that I agree with you, but this is one of those times. In particular, your last sentence.

(Keep in mind that Denise also kept her undergarments on the whole time. Perhaps Seth simply congratulated himself on another successful dry hump?)

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

One of my all time favorites. I'm going to watch it soon.

13. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    A Haunting: Season 3
    New Dominion Picture's A Haunting: Season 3, takes you inside ten real-life horror stories that originally aired on the Discovery Channel. Each eerie one-hour episode features eyewitness accounts and cinematic re-inactments of some of the most spine-tingling, ghostly hauntings ever recorded. Even the most skeptical observer will be shocked and intrigued by these spellbinding tales

Visit the centuries-old pub in northern England, haunted by a gruesome past, the dream house that turns into a nightmare, and the famously creepy haunting in Ireland. This three DVD set of the third season of A Haunting explores these and many other unexplainable, creepy and macabre tales of the paranormal. By the end of each amazing story, you will experience a lingering sense that life and death are much stranger then you could have possibly imagined!

The Unleashed
    Some Native American tribes tell tales of supernatural creatures that haunt the living to protect the dead. When a curious young man explores ancient incarnations, he opens the door to slumbering phantoms who seek to kill him.

My Thoughts:
    This episode I found very good. They atmosphere is done well... and the storyline is very interesting. This one is not only the story of a haunting... but of a possession. I now have watched about 2 and a half seasons out of 4... so far this episode ranks up as one of my favorites.

My Rating: 4.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 6
    TV Ep. Count: 2
    Time Started: 1:00pm

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 1st
    [​IMG]
    Movie #5, around 3:45 PM -
    Slugs (1987) - **1/2/5

Some really bad ideas, none of the characters are well-developed (I know- why bother?), and you can really just pick up the dialogue wholesale and dump it out back. But, it's also a refreshingly light and breezy 89 minutes (at least until the overlong ending) with some surprisingly good gore effects and a few entertainingly bad moments. It's no Squirm, but it might just be the hit of your bad movie night (should you still be on speaking terms with your friends after suggesting it).

[​IMG]
    Movie #6, around 11:00 PM -
    (A) Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) - **/5

Obnoxious, cliched, tired, maybe even poorly cast. Nobody probably cares about acting in this one, so it's a good thing that some of the music score is decent (as for songs- didn't that Kool Moe Dee track they play at the closing win a Razzie award?) and the death scenes are interesting. That's why it's a shame that quite a bit of Greta's ultra-bizarre death wound up on the cutting room floor (why exactly does the doll's innards make her bloat up like her head is a pumpkin?). It's a dull, and sometimes painful, experience. Probably the least of the series (excluding Freddy vs. Jason, because neither series deserves to be tarnished by association with that pile of fecal matter).

October 2nd
    [​IMG]
    Movie #7, around 12:30 AM -
    Vamp (1986) - ***1/2/5

Who knew sleaze could be colorful and clever? The "I had a bad day!" scene, the unfortunate American Werewolf in London-isms they ripped off in the best-friends confrontation scene, a little repetitiveness in the 'showdown' ending, and a few of Dedee Pfeiffer's cute speed-line deliveries are the only things that drag this down. Otherwise, it's an incredibly fun time. With a lot of style (where's that been in the genre the last 5 years?!), some damn fine acting (especially from Sandy Baron, R.I.P., and excellent silent stuff from Grace), very good dialogue, and even though there's the standard stock "I can't be this way!" whining cute vamp-boy, the early death scenes are surprisingly more vicious than you get in this type of film. Great music! Smart editing. Great use of mostly top-notch special effects, all around. This project has so far resulted in a lot of yawning. Sadly. Every film so far, in fact... until this one.

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 2 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5)
    So far watched: 3 TV episodes, 7 Movies (by 2:15 A.M., October 2nd)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  15. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 2nd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3) Dark Water (2002): Your typical Japanese Supernatural flick, and I'm saying that as a compliment. Focuses a lot more on the drama rather than a lot of jump scares and ghostly shots. It's also directed beautifully! You really do get a sense of the loneliest our main protagonist gets, which adds to the creepy atmosphere. Not the best Halloween watch, but good for something out of the ordinary. (7/10)

4) Dark Water (2005): For a big budget Hollywood remake it's surprisingly tasteful. Much like the film it's based on, we spend more time focusing on the dramatic side of things rather than a bunch of cheap ghost effects. The one thing this film does better than it's counterpart is the fact we see the daughter interacting and becoming friends with the ghost girl where the original merely just hinted at it. But, like most Hollywood remakes, the message of the film is really spelt out. But they don't really beat you over the head with it like in the Pulse remake so I can't really complain. (7/10)

16. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Quicksilver Highway
    Year: 1997
    Director: Mick Garris
    Rating: NR
    Length: 90 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
    Christopher Lloyd
    Matt Frewer
    Raphael Sbarge
    Missy Crider
    Silas Weir Mitchell
    Bill Nunn

Plot:
    He is a collector of rare objects and dark tales, riding the back roads in search of the black heart of America. For him, there is no light without darkness, no life without death. His name is Aaron Quicksilver (Christopher Lloyd) and he has two horrific tales to share...

In "Chattery Teeth" by Stephen King, a traveling salesman (Raphael Sbarge of THE GUARDIAN) picks up both a psychotic hitchhiker and a strange novelty toy for a drive home that leads straight to Hell. In "The Body Politic" by Clive Barker, a plastic surgeon (Matt Frewer of DAWN OF THE DEAD) must fight back when his hands develop a homicidal mind of their own and lead a rebellion of severed extremities. Bill Nunn (SPIDER-MAN) and Veronica Cartwright (ALIEN) co-star in this gruesome double chiller from Mick Garris, the director of the Stephen King miniseries THE STAND, THE SHINING and DESPERATION.

Extras:
    Scene Access
    Audio Commentary
    Feature Trailers
    Featurettes
    Gallery
    DVD-ROM Content
    Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
    As most of you know... I love anthology horrors. This one unfortunately only had 2 stories within the movie. Other then, of course, the wraparound story. This really isn't the best anthology horror I ever seen... but it isn't that bad either. It is definitely worth seeing. One thing that this one does that I haven't seen on other anthology horrors. There is a different wrap-around story for each of the two main stories. The first story is told to a newlywed woman that is stranded on the highway while waiting for her husband to return with a new tire. The second story is told to a skeptic visitor to Aaron Quicksilver's little tent of horrors. I thought this added to the story more then telling both stories to the same person does. As for which story did I enjoy more? That is a pretty close call. But I would probably say the second one about the hands.

Count:
    Movie Count: 7
    TV Ep. Count: 2
    Time Started: 3:00pm

17. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

october 2nd

had to curtail my marathon today because of the golf then back to business with a double bill.

Ride With The Devil
    Christopher Lee playing the know it all good guy although he was more creepy in this film than the devil worshipper Charles Gray. Hammy hammer horror on the downturn from their earlier classic output. 3/5

The Blair Witch Project
    A guilty pleasure for me, love everything about this film and the myths built around it. I normally save this for the night before halloween but decided to bump this up this year.

Films Watched 6

18. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

1 - The Woods 10/01

This was sitting in my unwatched pile. I loved May, so I figured this would be good. I was going to go with a watched already flick to kick off Oct but I couldnt decide, so I grabbed this one. I enjoyed it quite a bit, its not as good as May, and it has no real gore but it was creepy in a Picnic At Hanging Rock kinda way.

2 - I Know What You Did Last Summer 10/2

I remembered hating this one when it came out. I picked it up at BigLots for $3 and it sat on the bottom of the unwatched pile since. Screw it, its been over 10 years, maybe its not as bad as I remember. No. It really was. Now I need something truely vile to wash this taste out of my mouth. Like Necromantic or something. But thats not very Halloweenie.

I have a couple more unwatched that look good, The Tripper, The Grudge 2, The Burrowers... but I think Im going with a known quanity this time. Just not sure what. Maybe HO1kC.

19. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I haven't gotten off to a lightning quick start, but I did manage to go for a rare (for me) theatrical double feature to kick off the season today. So my first horror film for October (and am I glad it wasn't the other way around) WAS:
    1. Hatchet 2
    -This one is getting some odd criticism on some horror sites, but I for one absolutely loved it. It was well acted, atmospheric, gory as all hell, and featured some of my favorites like Danielle Harris, Tony Todd, and of course Kane. Easily a 9/10!!
    2. Chain Letter
    -I probably should have just gone home. To be fair, it would be hard for any slasher to follow Hatchet 2, but this one just was not very interesting. There was a couple of decent gory moments, but Brad Dourif is wasted in his minor role, as is Nikki Reed in her main one along with Keith David. The killer is mediocre, and I have to admit that I was starting to nod off a bit during the middle. They do have the kid who played Zach on Desperate Housewives and he does a decent job, though. I will probably give it another watch when it comes out on dvd, but don't rush to this one. Around a 4/10.
    Go see Hatchet 2 if it's anywhere near you!

20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 1st part 2-

Psycho chicks triple feature

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silent Scream (1980) ***

Stylish slasher with some good performances. The opening reminded me a little of House Of The Devil. Gets a little goofy with the romantic subplot complete with funky sax. An overall good time with a couple well filmed kill scenes and some good atmosphere.

Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told (1968) ****

First time seeing this. Certainly a weird little film with lots of great shots and unique characters. Always had a soft spot for Lon Chaney Jr. and this is one of his best performances. His unconditional love for the three "children" is truly touching. I challenge you not to fall in love with Jill Banner as Virginia.

Girly (1970) ***

Another weird family and a couple of mustachioed dudes. I dug the strange fairy tale vibe of the film, though it could have been trimmed of about ten minutes. The film starts to drag a little at the middle.