The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

So far this month I've watched:

Critters 2: The New Batch
    Lost Boys: The Tribe
    In the Mouth of Madness

2. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

October 1 [Criterion Collection marathon]
    1. Häxan*(1922, 104 minutes) 6/10: Funny & whimsical "documentary" about witchcraft, exceeded my expectations with its mockery of inquisition/witchcraft. This benefits from good attention to detail and excellent special effects especially considering the age (bite me CGI). The sensationalism is cheap fun but either lacks depth or has become cliché until the last chapter (1/7th) switches suddenly to dismissive (overly simplistic) explanation. I'm curious about the commentary.
    2. Sisters*(1973, 92 minutes) 7/10: The plot structure is unique in that this is a mystery where from the beginning it's shown who the murderer is. The narrative is told either from a third party reporter who enters and exits the murder's environment or in flashbacks (both suggesting voyeurism, maybe a comment on popular news media). I enjoyed the surrealism as the move progressed with thick stylization getting more deliciously complex and there's some fun homages.
    3. Flesh for Frankenstein*(1973, 95 minutes) 3.5/10: The acting is wooden and having read the insert essay I still think the metaphor of "sex without emotions" is unrealistic and framed in messy incoherent plot (and is not visually intriguing enough to pull off style over substance). This film might benefit from further viewings though it came across as too academic and not much fun.

October 2
    4. Eyes Without a Face*(1960, 90 minutes) 5.5/10: Good visuals with a mask that supposedly influenced Carpenter's Halloween. Eyes Without a Face holds the viewer in an uncomfortable struggle with most of the tension being isolated small scale social struggle so it's more of a slow burn. Music in the film often seems more whimsical than suspensful but I understand the director did not consider this to be a horror film.
    5. The Cat and the Canary*(1927, 82 minutes) 5/10: Fun silent film that reminds me of Scooby Doo with parts Nightmare on Elm Street. Though I enjoyed it a lot of this seems to have been ripped off so much a lot of this film seemed familar.
    6. Night of the Dribbler*(1990, 87 minutes) 0.25/10: Picked the most unanticipated film I could find to crash from my Criterion spree. This film is a rancid attempt at comedy.

October 3 ["Mother Nature Runs Amok!" Theme Night]
    7. Skeeter*(1993, 95 minutes) 6/10: I rated this movie higher not because it's good but because it's entertainingly bad early 90s cheese and I caught it in the right mood but otherwise I'm not sure it's recommended for casual viewers. I really enjoyed the giant plastic monster mosquitoes. Am I the only one who can't watch William Sanderson without thinking of Daryl from that Bob Newhart show?
    8. Kingdom of the Spiders*(1977, 97 minutes) : It took me some time to get use to the country atmosphere of the film but eventually found that part of the appeal. I didn't expect to enjoy it (preferring supernatural horror) but ended up having a good time. The film starts off slow but builds up.
    9. The Black Cat*(1981, 92 minutes) :

*-First time viewing

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  3. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

October 1st

01. Horror of Dracula (1958)

October 2nd

02. Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974)

October 3rd

03. Bay of Blood (1971)

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 2nd
    [​IMG]
    Movie #10, around 5:15 PM -
    The Kiss (1988) - **1/2/5

Good music score (bad... what is it; incidental -?- music). The acting is hit or miss; mostly miss (Joanna Pacula and, especially, Mimi Kuzyk are clearly the real pros). Special effects are hit or miss as well (that corpse at the beginning is just terrible, as is the half-Critter / half-Ghoulie demon cat, and Aunt Felice as the monster-witch woman has some not very ambitious bloating torso moments - where's the alien?). The story has some good stuff in it, several good little bites of ideas. There's some good style, a little good gore (the leg moment is unforgettable, the escalater scene is slightly less impressive), but the ending goes on for-EH-ver!

[​IMG]
    Movie #11, around 9:45 PM -
    Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) - **1/2/5

Definitely better than The Dream Child. Though it has moments that are easily worse ("Free me, you idiot, I'm your fucking memory! AHHHH!"). It's not scary but it does have a lot of playfulness, some of it very lively. Yaphet Kotto tries (but the dialogue kinda sucks completely), Lisa Zane is very sophisticated (and I've always liked the against-type casting in lead roles, you rarely see this type of woman playing a lead part in a slasher film), the younger the guys the better they act (though they could re-cast Shon Greenblatt's part and it wouldn't hurt my feelings), but Lezlie Deane for me blew them all away (and like Kim Myers from Freddy's Revenge looked like a young Meryl Streep, Lezlie looks a dead ringer for a young Jodie Foster). I really liked the lazier feel of the movie but Freddy really needed to shut up. A lot of the effects look terrible (the bed-needled torso, the stupid flying sperms, maybe the really outdated look of the video game) but a lot of things looked pretty good. The amnesia theme made a change. A lot of good imagery (the 3-D glasses, the freddy teleportation, the long tracking shot following the falling single needle, the "let's trip out" shot where Freddy's in the center of the room, the shattering plate of the horizon with the road; a lot of little things). And the final scene was pretty darn good (as was the "greatest hits" coda).

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 2 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5)
    So far watched: 4 TV episodes, 11 Movies (by 11:15 P.M., October 2nd)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SAXCATZ:
    10/01/2010: Tombs of the Blind Dead
    10/02/2010: Deep Red

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I had an insane marathon yesterday, watching Dead Men Walk, Zombieland, Broken, The Killing of Satan, Keep my Grave Open, Corpse Eaters, The Devil's Hand, Drive-in Massacre and Graveyard of Horror.

It was the longest movie marathon for me ever and the last three movies were freakin' terrible. I really enjoyed Broken, Zombieland and Killing of Satan though. Corpse Eaters is ever the Canadian gore icon and Keep My Grave Open is passable.

7. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: Son of Dracula: The Legacy Collection
    Year: 1943
    Director: Robert Siodmak
    Rating: NR
    Length: 80 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    Robert Paige
    Louise Allbritton
    Evelyn Ankers
    Frank Craven
    J. Edward Bromberg

Plot:
    Lon Chaney Jr. dons a cape as Count Alucard (that’s Dracula spelled backward), the bloodthirsty son of the famous Transylvania vampire. And when a beautiful Southern girl, Katherine (Louise Allbritton), invites him to the U.S., they both set out to satisfy their unquenchable thirst for human blood with nocturnal killings of unsuspecting neighbors and relatives. Despite the heroic efforts of her fiancé, Robert Paige, Katherine falls under the spell of the evil Count in Son of Dracula, director Robert Siodmak’s excursion into the horror genre.

Extras:
    Scene Access

My Thoughts:
    I actually enjoyed this one more this time around then I did the first time I watched it. I was actually not looking forward to watching this one again going off my first viewing. Now I am glad I gave it another chance. Though I do have to say I prefer Lon Chaney, Jr. as the Wolf Man... I didn't care for him in this role nearly as much. I enjoyed the story... and the quality of this one is surprisingly good for such an old movie. I also noticed the effects are starting to get better with this release. Seeing Dracula appear from a puff of smoke... and transforming too and from his bat form.

My Rating: 4/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 10
    TV Ep. Count: 4
    Other Count: 0
    Time Started: 11:30am

8. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Dracula: The Series: Volume 1
    For centuries he has ruled the night, inspiring dozens of plays, scores of movies and millions of nightmares. His enduring legend is known and feared everywhere. Now, Dracula seeks global domination as Alexander Lucard, international billionaire power broker, who is relentlessly building a hi-tech network of white-collar vampires. Two young American brothers know his secret (and his weaknesses!) as they join their uncle – a lifelong vampire chaser – to follow the trail across Europe and the U.S. in a desperate race to expose Lucard and his undead army of corporate vampires. The hunters become the prey as Lucard seeks to eliminate their threat to his eternal conquest.

Get a Job
    Chris lands a job with a local art house, run by a lovely art dealer named Julia, who also happens to have dealings with Alexander Lucard.

My Thoughts:
    While still having it's moments... I didn't care as much for this episode as I did the previous two. I really didn't care too much for the storyline this time around. Though it did give a pretty good change with the outcome since it showed that the good guys don't always win. That is something that is a bit surprising with a series that has a majority of kids as viewers.

My Rating: 3/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 10
    TV Ep. Count: 5
    Time Started: 1:30pm

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

First weekend of October:

High Tension: This one earns its title with several truly harrowing sequences. It also earns props in the gore department. I like how the kills have that extra little something that makes them really brutal (the mom having her hand cut off after the throat slashing; stepping down on the gas station attendant with an axe in his chest). Knowing the twist ending, it's also fun picking up on the little clues sprinkled throughout.

Sleepy Hollow: Love the casting (many familiar faces in addition to leads Depp and Ricci). Great gothic atmosphere that is at once authentic-looking, but with the signature Burton style. The Headless Horseman is an awesome killing machine in this; he's like a historical Jason Voorhees with martial arts skillz. The only downside for me is some out-of-place CGI and silliness that doesn't work. All in all, I would recommend this as a quintessential Halloween movie.

Let Me In: Very good American version of the Swedish vampire story. It has a faster pace, but is not as haunting, as the Swedish movie. Some scenes came off better in this version, some not as good. I like Elias Kotea's police investigator; the character helps move things along better and in more convincing fashion than the first film. The Road and Kick-Ass kids were excellent. Some hokey CGI in the vampire attacks (which seem inspired by The Exorcist). This is not a suck-ass blasphemous remake by any stretch; I recommend all fans of the original check it out and give it a chance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Now I've just finished watching The Off Season. It wasn't good.

11. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

September 30th
    [​IMG]

October 1st
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Totally surprised New Year's evil was on Instant Watching. Haven't seen it in ages.

October 2nd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 2nd: Midnight Blue (1979)

13. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Title: House of Dracula: The Legacy Collection
    Year: 1945
    Director: Son of DraculaRobert Siodmak, House of DraculaErle C. Kenton
    Rating: NR
    Length: 67 Min.
    Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
    Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
    Lon Chaney, Jr.
    John Carradine
    Martha O'Driscoll
    Lionel Atwill
    Onslow Stevens

Plot:
    House of Dracula is one of the greatest feasts for monster-lovers ever created! They're all here – The Wolf Man, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, angry villagers, even a hunchback assistant! Ad they all have momentous plans for their own in this entertaining frightmare treat.

Extras:
    Scene Access

My Thoughts:
    Even though not a bad sequel... there is nothing really special about it... other then I did of course enjoy the fact that all 3 of my favorite classic movie monsters is in this movie. One thing I did see in this one that struck me as unusual (at least from any other classics I have seen so far)... is that in this movie the Hunchback is a woman instead of a man. I personally don't remember ever seeing that in any of the other movies before this one. Quality wise.. this movie looks/sounds great... just like the rest of the set.

My Rating: 3/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 11
    TV Ep. Count: 5
    Time Started: 2:30pm

14. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 2nd-

[​IMG]

Watched two from this collection. Been saving them for this.

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964) ** Was fairly slow till about the 50 minute mark, when the Mummy finally showed up. The first two Mummy attacks are effectively staged. Sadly the film was better when I was a kid.

The Gorgon (1964) *** Was actually better then I recalled. This film and Spider Baby so far have done the most to get me into the Halloween/Fall mood.

15. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

[​IMG]
    Dracula: The Series: Volume 1
    For centuries he has ruled the night, inspiring dozens of plays, scores of movies and millions of nightmares. His enduring legend is known and feared everywhere. Now, Dracula seeks global domination as Alexander Lucard, international billionaire power broker, who is relentlessly building a hi-tech network of white-collar vampires. Two young American brothers know his secret (and his weaknesses!) as they join their uncle – a lifelong vampire chaser – to follow the trail across Europe and the U.S. in a desperate race to expose Lucard and his undead army of corporate vampires. The hunters become the prey as Lucard seeks to eliminate their threat to his eternal conquest.

The Boffin
    While Sophie and Chris skirt around the relationship issue between them and finally end up on a date together, Max meets a clumsy, but brilliant, scientist who has made it his life's work to invent items for battling the undead.

My Thoughts:
    This one is a very silly... but fun episode. The silliness comes from the bumbling scientist. I wish they would have done the ray gun better. It looked cool enough... but I didn't like the effects of how it looked when you shoot it. But over-all an entertaining episode... though I definitely seen better.

My Rating: 3.5/5

Count:
    Movie Count: 11
    TV Ep. Count: 6
    Time Started: 5:30pm

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Great set. I saved and watched mine last year October :)

17. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

October Movie #13

[​IMG]

Walled In-2009: 3 out of 5 stars

Better than I expected, helps that the movie has some really nice atmosphere and competent actors, even Mischa Barton who I usually can't stand. It's not a great movie but a decent 90 minute time-waster that'll keep you interested.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  18. hulkyduck

hulkyduck Active Member

october 3rd

Because of the ryder cup ive only managed to sneak in one film today
    7. THE HORROR OF DRACULA (1958)

My favorite of all of hammers dracula films. Christopher Lee's first portrayal of our favorite count in a role he was born to play. Also starring another favorite of mine, Peter Cushing. A real creepy atmosphere and of course plenty buxom beautys, Hammer rarely done it better than this.5/5

TOTAL FILMS WATCHED 7

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 3rd
    [​IMG]
    Movie #12, around 1:15 AM -
    Leprechaun (1993) - ***/5

Not smart, not well-written, not in the slightest bit original (it rips off at least a dozen other movies). But it gets better as it goes along. A lot better. Until the point where it's pure fun. Just take brain out and enjoy.

[​IMG]
    Movie #13, around 3:00 AM -
    Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1993) - **1/2/5

Technically slick. That's its' best quality. It is not well written, it's horrendously acted, most of the effects are not very good. But it does have its' moments. The club massacre scene at least ends on a horrifying note (the door shot) and negates the need to ever have to suffer through a showing of Wishmaster (avoid like plague!!). But other than that, it's clueless. Barely getting by on what little pity you might feel for the ultra-vulnerable Terry character. Though I give props to the city street explosion scenes and the very crafty and disturbing imagery during the church scene.

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 2 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5)
    So far watched: 5 TV episodes, 13 Movies (by 4:45 A.M., October 3rd)

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 3rd - The Fury (1978)