The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread...SUCKAS!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 27, 2010.

1. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

oct.3rd - Trick r treat (2007), blade 1 , lost boys

2. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

3. Cropsey
    -I dvr'd this a few weeks ago off of a channel I'd never heard of ("ID") and saved it until October. Really not worth the wait. It is a little unsettling just in terms of the crimes themselves, which I wasn't aware of. However, the filmmakers don't reach any real conclusions and don't dig enough into it....4/10.
    4. Dead of Winter
    -Another one I cleared off the dvr from the MGM channel....decent, but not as skillfully done as I remembered. Mary Steenburgen is just not a good enough actress to pull off her role(s), but it's always nice to see Roddy McDowall....5/10
    5. Just Before Dawn
    -I love this one. One of the best killer in the woods movies in regards to actually showcasing the atmosphere of the woods. Absolutely gorgeous non- CGI scenery and solid acting all around as well. It's no gorefest (even more so with the slightly cut Shriek Show dvd that cuts down the one truly gory moment for some reason), but a classic 80's flick regardless....easily an 8/10.

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Oct. 2nd: PHANTASM 3 AND 4

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oct 2: Alone in the Dark ('82)

5. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

October movie #14

[​IMG]

Sorority Row-2009: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Probably went a little easy on this but considering we either get stuff like this or shit like Prom Night from the major studios, I'll take this.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oct 3rd - The Pumpkin Karver

7. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

October movie #15

[​IMG]

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism-1967: 4 out of 5 stars

Despite the pretty bad quality of the print, I really enjoyed this. Some great atmosphere and cool little set pieces (especially liked the trees with human limbs).

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/1
    Horror of Dracula--Tough to call it definitive since it veers so far from the literary source. But I'd say it's an unsurpassed adaptation in terms of forward momentum, the stupendous Dracula/Van Helsing tag team of Lee and Cushing, and the very welcome lack of romantic sentiment in the Count. The finale is truly tremendous.

Brides of Dracula--An admirable sequel except for David Peel's complete inability to generate any sort of menace. Cushing continues to prove that he is the definitive Van Helsing.

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness--I tend to forgive the sluggish start and dull protagonists because of the incredible resurrection scene (which must have really packed a wallop in 1966) and all the fun that follows. I really enjoy this one. And the TCMHD transfer was a huge upgrade over the Anchor Bay DVD.

10/2
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)--I watched this one again to see if it would change my strong preference for the 1978 remake. It didn't. Grab the new Blu-ray of the '78 version if you haven't already. It looks and sounds tremendous.

10/3
    Frankenstein Created Woman--If Cushing had more to do I probably would have enjoyed this one more. But he's off-screen way too much. Still another enjoyable Hammer horror.

The Night Stalker - Episode 5 - The Werewolf--Kolchak was a childhood favorite of mine. This episode is very indicative of the strengths (smart writing, ironic humor, and typically strong supporting guest stars) and weaknesses (no budget for makeup, special effects, or convincing action sequences) of the series.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG-Boris Karloff shines in this 1939 ''mad doctor'' film with a difference,the doctor's actually NOT crazy.The film concerns the creation of an artificial heart,a death caused by well meaning bystanders and a revenge plot.This tight,fast paced outing is well acted,nicely scripted and is about 40yrs early in predicting a genuine medical breakthrough.As always Karloff brings great sympathy to his ''bad guy'' role.One murder is much like one decades later in DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN.A good watch if you like vintage horror.Available in the ICONS OF HORROR box set from Columbia/Sony,the picture and sound quality are actually quite nice.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

watched it just to watch it. completely pointless. rob zombie doing what he does best - boring me.

11. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5) Humanoids From The Deep: A fun cheesy ride. It's like watching a 50's B-movie but with gore and tits. It's the perfect film to watch with a group of friends under the influence. (7/10)

6) C.H.U.D.: A mediocre monster film. Really found myself getting bored towards the last half hour and wanting to just get over with it. Not to mention a weak climax to add insult to injury. (5/10)

7) The Horde: Really been looking forward to this french zombie film since I first heard about it a year ago. Unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. The story telling is weak and the characters, for the most part, are completely unappealing and one dimensional. (6/10)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 3rd

[​IMG]

13. VincentPrice

VincentPrice New Member

October movie #16

[​IMG]

The Satanic Rites of Dracula-1973: 3 out of 5 stars

Eh, it was alright, don't really have much to say about it.

14. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Death Proof tonite..more to follow if I don't fall on my face first.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10/1/10: Race With the Devil (1975)
    10/2/10: Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)

16. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Movie #8 : Friday the 13th Part 3 : 3D (1982)

[​IMG]

We watched this one is 3D...for about the first 3/4, lol. When it worked, it worked really well. When it DIDN'T, however, it was completely awful looking and started causing headaches. In any case, the movie's a fun one, though not quite on par with the greatness of Part 2 or the wackiness of Part 6 (Jason Lives)

17. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 4th:

Prom Night (1980)
    Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)
    Prom Night III: The Last Kiss (1989)
    Prom Night IV: Deliver Us From Evil (1992)

18. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Horror High (1974)

Nerdy boy is harassed at school but he has his revenge by drinking a serum that turns him into a deadly human guinea pig. Fun take on 'Jeckyll & Hyde' with a groovy blaxploitation-type of Soundtrack.
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including Mad Scientist theme, Experiments gone awry theme, evil teachers, slow motion teasing, chest-jumping with spiked shoes, acid bath sizzle, corny theme song.

The Loreley's Grasp (1974)

Nerdy but hot Eurobabes at a boarding school are harassed by a reptile-like creature that turns out to be lovely Loreley going through her annual 7-night-curse. Entertaing Horror-Fantasy set at the river Rhine in Germany.
    October/Halloween score: 4/5 for including nerdy but hot eurobabes, rubber suit monster, chest ripping, pitchforks & torches, foggy river footage, local Beer & Bratwurst restaurants, swampy marsh footage, ghastly howling at night.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 3rd
    [​IMG]
    Movie #14, around 4:45 AM -
    Bones (2001) - ***/5

This movie would be a shining success if it weren't trying to be a combination of schlock and sophistication. It usually excells on the 2nd part, but then when they bring up the first, it just gets stupid. Bad CGI, lame gross-outs, and... that slime wall and the plasma interpretive dancers are so dumb. But there are many plusses here. It has style and slickness, amazing music, a compelling socio-political story angle, and does what so few horror movies to follow have: treats young people like they have a brain. Without ever coming close to the obnoxiousness of the dopes in the Scream films. A lot of people really cared about this film and were it not for the bad shock gags (none of which will get a rise out of you) and the awful ending, this would be one of the only quality products from the last miserable decade in the genre. As it stands, it's just decent. But the good slightly outweighs the weak.

[​IMG]
    Movie #15, around 8:30 AM -
    Satan's Little Helper (2003) - ***/5

Some movies leave me at a loss. And I've never been able to explain this one. The pacing is great. It doesn't pretend to be serious. It's not offensive. But- what the hell were these people thinking? No one on Earth would ever accept this game the boy plays as an actual cutting-edge 2003 video game that a lot of kids would be crazy about (it's barely, technically, any more advanced than the old computer games we used to play at school...in like 1992!). And then, this small town the movie takes place in must be on another planet. Not only does the internet not seem to exist (um, if there are no cops around and there's a riot wave of violent lootings and house-break ins taking place... I think someone would have been either calling police outside the town or sending E-Mails or something!), and the townspeople are so old-fashioned and 50's-TV-Show nice that the story isn't the slightest bit realistic, but the little boy talks about marrying his own sister... and the mother finds this cute. Not only that, but when she tells people about it, they don't bat an eye. This one somehow gets by on little-detail inventiveness. And yes, it's so stupid that it actually begins to become funny. Eventually.

[​IMG]
    Movie #16, around 3:00 PM -
    Shocker (1989) - 1/2/5

I have a list of grievances with this movie a mile long, at least. And I think I'm going to make the time to go over some of them right now. For the first 40-something minutes, this movie is a really bad male version of a Lifetime tv-movie. Heavy-handed, melodramatic, filled with a bunch of police procedural talk (accompanied by the stock "gruff cop" cliches, in spades!) and crime-scene styled sequences. The killer is set-up as super-intelligent and almost a figure of shadow. By other characters, that is. This has got to be the single hugest deviation from script to production in the history of the horror genre. Every supporting character (supporting meaning: not Horace Pinker, clearly toted as the star of the film- yeah right, this guy has all the charisma and entertainment value of a used bandaid!) is acting as though this character were Hannibal Lecter, meanwhile Mitch Pileggi is giving us a combination of football player gone insane and Mo from the Three Stooges!! How exactly does a douche like this get organized enough to methodically slaughter about 3 dozen people "under cover of night" when the second you see him, his neck is bulging like his head is about to explode?!?! This guy has the subtlety and grace of a bull in a china shop. This doesn't work! Then, back to the film's heavy, serious "sorrow and tragedy" angle. Which it uses to get self-righteous, and you accept that after 40-something minutes of waiting to see Horace get the chair. Then... they think this is an ideal time to introduce SLAPSTICK COMEDY! I'm sorry... am I missing something? I know we shouldn't take certain things too seriously, but this movie was forcing us to be very dour and sullen about the goings-on up 'til this point. Now, all of a sudden, it's a fucking free-for-all goof fest?! No. No. NO!

Anyway, the only value to this thing at all is Alison and the very cool fantasy stuff they did with her dream sequences. Other than that, this is total and utter shit. Now you know why I hold Mick Garris's Sleepwalkers in such high regard. It never got this fucked up, either way (the serious or the silly). Lots of action, yes. And yeah I usually hate that. But, at least that film's one-liners hit their mark and the killer (Alice Krige) had real internal brooding and pathos! Not like this loser here. Is he a killer or just some foul-mouthed psycho at a sporting event?! Freddy was NEVER this stupid.

Official Counters
    Almost-gags (times I almost had to cover my mouth): 1 (House by the Cemetery)
    Jumps (times I actually leapt in my chair): 2 (Hell Night, Nightmare on Elm Street 5)
    So far watched: 5 TV episodes, 16 Movies (by 5:00 P.M., October 3rd)

20. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

October 3rd:

Re-Animator
    Exorcist 2
    Exorcist 3
    Legacy of Blood - Elivira's Movie Macabre from the 80s
    Deadtime Stories
    Fear No Evil