The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Ok funboys/gals, we're almost to the most sacred month of the year for horror fans...October!!!!! (in case you couldn't guess). Every year we do this thing wherein the people here on Horror Digital watch a crap load of horror-related movies/tv shows and then come to this thread to brag, write a review, or get ideas for what to watch next. Honestly it's alot of fun...honest. It lasts all month and hopefully everyone will join in starting October 1st at 12 a.m.

Here's a link to last year's thread so you can get an idea of what's going on.
    http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=41396

My first movie of the month will, as always, be Silver Bullet, started right at midnight on the 1st. Luckily this year the first is on a Saturday so I don't have to go to work the next day. Anyway I can't wait till the 1st. I have a ton of movies to catch up on. :) So enjoy!!!

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

October already?

3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

I haven't really been around much in the past few months, but I'm going to try to make a point of posting my list and mini-reviews as the days go by on here this year

4. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I'm in - I'm curious to see how many I watch this month - it's usually about 30, but I'm going to be busier than usual...

10/2 Sucker Punch
    10/3 Crimson Rivers
    10/5 Hanna
    10/7 Kill Bill part 1
    10/12 X
    10/13 Your Highness
    10/14 The Door in the Floor
    10/15 Holy Virgin vs the Evil Dead
    10/15 The Housemaid
    10/16 Renegade
    10/19 Super
    10/20 Amer
    10/25 Attack the Block
    10/28 Atrocious
    10/29 The Green Hornet
    10/29 Mean Girls

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Pulled off 79 films last year, but now that I'm back in school that number will drop dramatically. Regardless I'm still waiting in anticipation for the 1st!!!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

10/01 The War of the Worlds (1953)
    10/01 Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama (1987)
    10/01 The Pit and the Pendulum (1991)
    10/02 Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom (2001) [Invader ZIM]
    10/02 Carnival of Souls (1962) [Rifftrax]
    10/03 Night of the Living Dead (1968) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/04 The Terror (1963) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/05 The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/06 The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/07 Embodiment of Evil (2008)
    10/08 Troll 2 (1990) [Rifftrax]
    10/09 Hold That Ghost (1941)
    10/10 Scared to Death (1947) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/11 The Werewolf of Washington (1973) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/12 Eegah! (1962) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/13 I Eat Your Skin (1964) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/14 Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of 'The War of the Worlds' (2006)
    10/14 The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    10/14 Dead Alive (1992)
    10/15 The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
    10/15 Night of the Living Dead (1990) [Workprint]
    10/16 The Cat and the Canary (1939)
    10/17 Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/18 Lady Frankenstein (1971) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/19 When Halloween Was Forever (1986) [The Real Ghost Busters]
    10/19 The Manster (1959) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/20 Tormented (1960) [Movie Macabre 2010]
    10/21 Drag Me to Hell (2009)
    10/21 My Name Is Bruce (2008)
    10/22 The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959)
    10/22 The Skull (1965)
    10/23 The Halloween Door (1989) [The Real Ghostbusters]
    10/24 The Mummy's Hand (1940)
    10/25 The Mummy's Tomb (1942)
    10/26 The Mummy's Ghost (1944)
    10/27 The Mummy's Curse (1944)
    10/28 Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955)
    10/29 Toddlers & Tiaras: Halloween Bash (2011)
    10/29 The Mummy (1932)
    10/29 The Black Cat (1934)
    10/29 Doctor X (1932)
    10/30 Halloween II ½ (1987) [The Real Ghostbusters]
    10/31 "Manos" The Hands of Fate (1966) [MST3k]
    10/31 Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) [Rifftrax]
    10/31 Monsters Crash the Pajama Party (1965)
    10/31 Frankenstein (1910)
    10/31 Dracula (1931)
    10/31 Frankenstein (1931)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Reserved!

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

64 last year. Trying to watch at least one (two when time allows it) per work day, themed double and triple features on weekends and one all afternoon and night Saturday movie marathon.
    Besides the usual suspects I'm still working on my list of possible movie candidates. Mostly stuff I haven't seen in years and especially films I haven't watched on any October yet.

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I already watched Halloween (1978), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, and The Return of the Living Dead in late September to get the ball rolling.

UPDATE 10/3

First weekend of October:

The Beast Within: I've heard this flick had great FX, and I've wanted to see it for a long time. Boy was I disappointed. A teen-aged boy transforms into a bug monster because he was conceived when his mom was raped by one. The young protagonist is severely under-developed, as he isn't introduced until he's already quite "ill," so the viewer doesn't get to know him. He just seems like a creepy prick. The family relationships in the small southern town, and the creature's origin, make no sense. As for the FX, the transformation is a step down from the '80s greats (The Thing, The Howling, American Werewolf) and we don't even get to see the whole thing! When we do get to see the final critter, it looks like a retarded grown-up It's Alive baby. Flying scenes are alluded to, but there either wasn't a budget to film them or they were cut. When it comes to cicada monsters, I'll stick with Ultraman's Baltan.

Scarecrows: This is a low-budget, low-key fave from the '80s. I discovered it on video (probably via a write-up in Fango or something) and have it on VHS, but I haven't got the DVD yet. A unit of military crooks on a cargo plane with two hostages end up in a haunted farmhouse, surrounded by miles of overgrown fields, stalked by zombie scarecrows. The frequent radio banter and night vision POV are engaging. Great atmosphere and some good gore. Very creepy, very dark; all in all a great Halloween season movie pick. Recommended.

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10/10

First week of October:

Halloween (2007, Theatrical Version): After having seen the Unrated Director's Cut several times, I decided to go back to the Theatrical Version. The main difference is Michael's escape from Smith's Grove. It plays much better in this version; the DC's escape is stupid. While I still have some serious problems with this film, I think it's kinda growing on me with each viewing. I picked up more little nods to the original and more of the dialog in between F-bombs. Scout Taylor-Compton had potential as Laurie. I still like the "young Michael" segment of the film the best. The final third (Michael in his trademark mask killing babysitters) is just a retread. And the whole thing is just too needlessly sleazy.

The Human Centipede (First Sequence): I decided to give this one a spin in anticipation of the sequel. It takes the bizarre central idea and builds a good, tension-filled horror movie around it. The two American girls start off ditzy and obnoxious, so in a slasher film, you'd root for them to get killed. But no one deserves this. Once the mad doctor (special props to the performance of Dieter Laser) explains his intentions, a dark dread descends upon what is so far a by-the-numbers scary movie exercise. The doc isn't a sex sicko; he treats his creation as a cross between a work of art and a pet. Thankfully, the movie is actually not terribly graphic, and is all the better for it.

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10/11

Second Weekend of October:

The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence): Filmed in noir-ish black and white, this sequel follows Martin, a pudgy simpleton who is obsessed with the first film, as he tries to replicate Dr. Heiter's experiment in a vacant warehouse to create his own 12-person centipede. Unlike the first film, which showed a good deal of restraint with its outlandishly repellent concept, this film is as violent and disgusting as can be. It's preposterous and has a stupid cop-out ending. But it also has shit (some of it literal) that you just won't see anywhere else. If you're in the mood for a fucked-up geek show, this is it.

Halloween II (1981): Though not quite as good as the original, this is one of my favorite slashers. It has some of the same style as the first film, but the wider color palette and the electronic version of the familiar music themes give it its own unique feel as well. It also has a mean-spiritedness to it that contrasts well with the first film and adds to its appeal (without getting really nasty like the Rob Zombie entries).

Terror in the Aisles: I was excited to hear that this would be included on the Halloween II Blu-ray. A local TV station that showed horror double features on Saturday afternoons used to play it, and I was looking forward to seeing it again. Unfortunately, it didn't really hold up. It seems padded with a lot of clips from thrillers and action movies. Some of the scenes from movies I'm not terribly familiar with also seem to be significant spoilers. All in all, I think Universal did the right thing in making this a bonus on a related title instead of an individual release.

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10/17

Second week of October:

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein: Despite these spoofs and mash-ups being the death knell of the classic Universal Monsters, I know this comedy is well-regarded for what it is. This was my first time seeing it, and I found it to be merely okay. I got some chuckles to be sure, but I think this is something where a lot of its appeal is the nostalgia factor for those who have fond memories of seeing it as kids. It's good to see Lugosi as Dracula again, but the Frankenstein monster is unfortunately neutered for most of the running time. I will revisit this in the future and maybe it will grow on me.

The Funhouse: Do they still have sleazy traveling carnivals like this? Or is this a relic of a bygone era, replaced with cleaner, brightly-lit family-friendly versions? Either way, I'm sure the Carnies themselves will always be creepy. This flick has great atmosphere and really captures the look and feel of an old-time sleazy carnival. It features a cool killer, a pretty and appealing final girl (what ever happened to that actress?), and her little brother is a monster fan. I learned elsewhere on this board that Dean Koontz wrote a novelization of this. Earlier this year, I picked up a copy at a used bookstore for cheap! I didn't have the foresight to read it before watching the movie though. Maybe next time. BTW, the funhouse in this seems awfully large and elaborate for a traveling show (presumably it has to break down for tractor-trailer transport), and the mother seems to be on the same drugs as Nancy's mom in A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Elvira's Movie Macabre: Monstroid: Ugh. As much as I like rubber monsters, I just couldn't make it through this stinker in a single sitting. I fell asleep twice. Elvira can't elevate this tedium about a lake monster aroused by pollution that snacks on locals, because there is just too small a ratio of monster action to people talking. It doesn't help that the print (with the title Monster) looks terrible. Features John Carradine as a South American priest.

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10/18

Third weekend of October:

The Walking Dead: The Complete First Season: This excellent TV show, set in the Atlanta area, follows a group of survivors as they attempt to make their way in a world overrun with flesh-eating zombies. It's very cinematic, with high production values and surprising amounts of gore for even cable TV. What really sells it though, is its attention to story and character development. I'm still making my way through the extras on this 3-disc set, and am eagerly looking forward to what's in store for Season Two. I hope it retains its high visual standards and remains grounded in reality. (I've also started getting collections of the comic this show is based on, but haven't started reading them yet.)

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10/22

Third week of October:

The Ward: Master director John Carpenter gets back into the game with this enjoyable, if unremarkable, '60s period piece. Kristen, a runaway with no memory of her life before being apprehended after setting fire to a farmhouse, is committed to a psych ward with the most lax security ever. It's also haunted by a zombie-like ghost that's picking off the young female patients one by one. Not only is security laughable, but half of the other girls in the ward don't seem crazy / disturbed at all. In all fairness, some of these things are more plausible looking back after it's over. Amber Heard isn't just beautiful, she's a good actress (in both this and Drive Angry; I haven't seen Mandy Lane yet). Though certainly not up there with Carpenter's best, this is a solid effort with an appealing main character / lead actress.

Son of Frankenstein: While Universal's original Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are favorites of mine, I haven't seen most of the other entries since I was a kid. While I didn't expect Son to hold up well to them, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is an excellent and enjoyable gothic horror as well. Amid the off-kilter German expressionist sets are good performances from Basil Rathbone as the ever-more manic Dr. Frankenstein, the slyly suspicious police inspector, and Karloff as the Monster. But the real standout is Bela Lugosi as the cunning and creepy Ygor, a grave robber who survived a hanging and commands the Monster to kill his enemies.

The Fog: This is one of John Carpenter's masterworks, one of the most atmospheric, creepiest, and scariest ghost stories ever filmed. The score, the glowing fog, and the zombie ghosts with glowing red eyes committing slasher murders give the old-fashioned ghost story a great modern makeover. One of the reasons I wanted to watch this again this October is a question I saw on IMDb: Is Jamie Lee Curtis' character really Laurie Strode? I wanted to see how that held up. It's an interesting fan theory, but I think the "old girl scout" fell into bed with Tom Atkins a bit too easily. I may re-watch the remake now, even though I have no good memories from seeing it in the theater. My question is: Since this has such a great campfire story opening, what are some of the other great campfire stories from horror movies? (Friday the 13th Part 2 comes to mind.)

Paranormal Activity: This is my third October in a row watching this, and it holds up well. It's a scary and authentic-looking found footage movie. Is PA the new Saw, with a new installment released every Halloween? I hope so, bring it on! These are a blast to see at a late show in a packed theater. Still waiting for Tokyo Night....

Paranormal Activity 2: This is a good sequel / prequel, but it doesn't hold up quite as well as the first. This is due to a lot of repetition early on. I remember the audience laughing at this, like that bit in Nightmare 4. But once it gets going, it's good.

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10/25

Fourth weekend of October:

A slow weekend movie-wise, as most of our "Halloween Time" was dedicated to decorating...

Paranormal Activity 3: First of all, I was kinda pissed at the final trailer for this. It seemed to give away too much, and for a movie that relies heavily on jump scares, that's not a good thing. But, a lot of the footage in the trailer either isn't in the movie, or plays out differently. So, no worries there. The thing that kinda does bug me, is that the events shown in this prequel don't match up with what was said in the first two. Kristi not speaking for long periods of time? Nope. House burning down? Nada. Speaking of little Kristi, she is absolutely adorable (and looks like her "adult" self as well). Young Katie doesn't resemble adult Katie so much. Their parents are fun characters (actually, it's their mom and her boyfriend / fiancée). He films weddings and such, so he has access to several cameras and A/V equipment. This has some really good scares in it, and as always it's a lot of fun in a theater packed with screaming teenyboppers. If you liked the first two, you'll probably like this one (series continuity and an ending my GF found quite silly notwithstanding). If you don't like PA, this one won't change your mind.

[​IMG]

UPDATE 11/8

Fourth week of October:

The Thing from Another World: While many old creature features suffer when the monster isn't on screen, the "people scenes" in this remain interesting and greatly entertaining by virtue of its snappy dialog, likable characters, and good performances. James Arness makes an imposing alien, kept mostly in the shadows. The full-body burn is a tremendous stunt, even for today. There is no more iconic scene in all of sci-fi than the search party forming a circle around the buried ship, or a line as well-remembered and lovingly quoted as "Keep watching the skies." This is one of, if not the best, sci-fi / monster movies of the 1950s.

The Thing (1982): This remake / re-adaptation is disappointing in most respects, except one. The amazing special effects are the top reason to see this, as Carpenter's updated alien masquerades as human until it's found out, but then watch out! The transformations of the Thing are at once gross, complex, and amazing to behold. Beyond the visual appeal of the FX and the Antarctic setting, there's not much else to this version but paper-thin characters and minimalist dialog. One reason I'm looking forward to this year's prequel is the fact that this version unwisely made the discovery of the alien and its craft (so iconic in the original) an off-screen event.

House (1986): A minor classic of the comedy / horror genre. The comedy is mostly low-key, and it's got some pretty good FX of the various creatures inhabiting the haunted house. (Some of the apparitions are quite similar to ones in Hellraiser and Evil Dead II.) The Vietnam sequences are very obviously not a real jungle, but Richard Moll's zombie vet is an impressive and imposing figure.

[​IMG]

Final weekend of October:

Dawn of the Dead (1978): It's been called "the Gone With the Wind of horror movies," a sweeping epic unrivaled in the genre. Roger Ebert gave it four stars for being a relentless parody of American consumerism, or something like that. I first saw it when I was in junior high. I was in my room, sitting on the edge of my bed, facing a 13" color TV. The movie was a fullscreen VHS rental. But it was an exhilarating experience, like I had seen it in a huge theater. That's the power of Dawn of the Dead, easily one of the greatest horror movies ever made.

Dawn of the Dead (2004): When the horror remake boom touched off in '04 with this and Platinum Dune's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I was quite skeptical that either could be successfully remade. Both still stand as two of the better horror remakes to come down the pike in the years since. The apocalyptic opening of this movie, up through the opening credits, is one of the great sequences in horror history. The rest of the movie could probably never equal it, but it remains a superior popcorn action movie up through a somewhat disappointing final act.

[​IMG]

HALLOWEEN:

Halloween II (2009, Theatrical Version): As much as I enjoyed Rob Zombie's second Myers outing in the theater, I was disappointed with the Director's Cut on BD (especially the ending). So this year I watched the pair of them in their superior Theatrical Editions (unfortunately available only separately on DVD, and NOT included on the Blu-rays). H2 has the feel of an especially brutal '80s slasher. The ghostly visions of Michael's mom are a great and interesting way to get into the head of a hulking mute killing machine. And the theatrical ending is much better and more full-circle satisfying than the DC version.

Trick 'r Treat: My new holiday staple. I love the look of the film; it's dripping with holiday atmosphere. A wonderful rogues' gallery of characters populate this great anthology. All of the stories are good, and they all interconnect in both major and subtle ways. This is easily the best Halloween movie since the original 1978 Halloween. Little Sam is a terrific Halloween mascot, and he'll be popping up in my front-yard haunt in future years.

[​IMG]

Speaking of which...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last Year

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  10. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I celebrate Halloween all year long, being the horror movie freak that I am but this will be my first "attempt" at a sustained month-long marathon of nothing but Horror/Sci-Fi. Thus, 2011 will mark the first time I take part in the fabled annual Horrordigital October movie-watching ritual. And I won't have a tough time looking for something to watch as I have a big pile of unwatched product sitting around just waiting for a spin. I gotta say, though, some of these movies feel like a chore to sit through :)

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Already started watching some genre films for the occasion: Friday The 13th Part V, Bad Moon Rising...
    Having our annual horror film watching party on Oct.29th, some good stuff this year like The Puppet Monster Massacre and Troll Hunter.

12. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

I'm going to attempt to watch 100.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I always like to include some Halloween themed tv episodes in addition to horror flicks in October. Last year was light: only 28 films and 8 tv episodes. I'm sure I can fit more in this year, but the month long horror marathon will be competing with baseball playoffs and possibly the World Series (depending on who gets in).

Looking forward to watching some of my new horror releases purchased in the past month that I still have yet to open.

14. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

You know you can count me in. This will be my 6th year participating. I've already got my scheduled planed out and I'm ready to go baby!

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm still tweaking my schedule. I always make 1 up and then weed through it to come up with the best lineup for each day. Last year, I set aside the last 3 days for the best balance between good movies and good atmosphere with the rest of the schedule pushing the better movies toward the last days of the month. Now, I'm really trying just to have the scariest ones with the best atmosphere escalating all the way to the 31st. A couple of days have special themes (which is what I did in 2009) like the more Hollywood films with traditional orchestral scores and one day will be purely dedicated to style-over-substance. My only concern is my DVD player which is kinda old (about 7 years). I think I have another one I can borrow. Nice and small and thin. But, of course, first sign of skippage or freezing and it's back to my old reliable never-skip Emerson (well- if the disc is severely damaged, it'll flicker a little).

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I have a modest plan to checkout a few titles that are new-to-me but classics, as well as a new film that looks goofy (Dylan Dog) and a few faves:

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night
    Hell of the Living Dead
    Superstition (1982)
    Taste the Blood of Dracula
    The House that Dripped Blood
    Blood Sisters
    Waxwork (1988)
    Dawn of the Dead (1978, although I'm not sure which cut I'm gonna go with just yet)
    The Sentinel (1977)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I think I've got it figured out now. I'm going to start off watching HALLOWEEN (1978) and HALLOWEEN II (1981) back-to-back on Sat Oct 1st. I'm going to watch 8 Paul Naschy flicks I haven't seen yet and in between those I going to watch the recent Katarina's Nightmare Theater (Scorpion) and the Maria's "B" Movie Mayhem (Code Red) releases. In the first week (Sunday thru Friday) I plan on only watching films that haven't been released on DVD. Here's a tentative schedule.

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Terror in the Aisles (1984)
    The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983)
    Massacre at Central High (1976)
    Demented (1980)
    The Werewolf and the Yeti (1975)
    Killer Fish (1979)
    The Prey (1984)
    Stone Cold Dead (1979)
    Count Dracula's Great Love (1972)
    Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1972)
    The Devil Within Her (1975)
    Final Exam (1981)
    Vengeance of the Zombies (1972)
    Love Me Deadly (1973)
    The Curious Case of the Campus Corpse (1977)
    Haunted - Maria's "B" Movie Mayhem (1977)
    Hunchback of the Morgue (1973)
    The Pyx (1973)
    Mardi Gras Massacre (1978)
    Lady Frankenstein (1971)
    Elvira's Movie Macabre: Lady Frankenstein (1971)
    Scream (1981)
    The Barn of the Naked Dead (1974)
    Horror Rises from the Tomb (1973)
    The Velvet Vampire (1971)
    Time Walker (1982)
    Grotesque (1988)
    The People Who Own The Dark (1975)
    Voodoo Dolls (1990)
    Madonna: A Case of Blood Ambition (1990)
    Night of the Demon (1980)
    Crimson (1973)
    Vampire at Midnight (1988)
    Halloween (2007)
    Halloween II (2009)

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Are there any October 2011 theatrical releases that posters are looking forward to?

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ghostbusters is getting a re-release. :D

20. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Can't wait! I'm in. Looking forward to it. Now what to start October with?