The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Well I'm supposed to be busy at work this week so I thought I'd get this up early so as not to forget it later on. Besides, it helps to build anticipation. :)

I've been abstaining from horror movies for the last little bit and now I am raring to go! I have a big stack of movies I've never seen before and hope to cut down that pile massively by the end of the month.

Not sure if I can surpass my total for last year 130+ but I'm aiming for 120 anyway.

2. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I want to try and see PA 3, but will see.

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

This'll be the first year that I'll really have an October horrorthon. I'll mainly be focusing on discs I've bought over the last few years, but haven't gotten around to watching. They'll include the Psycho series, Werewolf: the complete TV series, Halloween 6: Producer's Cut, MGM's Vincent Price Collection, the Fly series, and Shout! Factory's Vampires, Mummies & Monsters collection.

4. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I ended up watching 41 movies last Oct. and 17 episodes. I plan of wiping the floor with that record this year but I guess we'll have to see.

As for theaters, I will definitely be there for The Thing, not sure if there is anything else though that I want to spend my hard earned cash on.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Will be watching more, hopefully, than last year. Will be seeing The Thing next month, but also, at the Tivoli, in Kansas City, MO, I will be seeing at Midnight on October 21st, Lucio Fulci's Zombie, before Blue Underground releases it on a Ultimate 2-Disc Edition on Blu-Ray and DVD.

6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

bumping because i accidentally updated the wrong thread. :joshua:

7. rabidgoatboy

rabidgoatboy New Member

Oct. 01
    1. The Beyond (1981, blu-ray)
    Oct. 02
    2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957, DVD)
    Oct. 03
    No movies tonight. Real life was horrifying enough.
    Oct. 04
    3. Redneck Zombies (1989, DVD)
    Oct. 05
    4. Seeding of a Ghost (1983, DVD)
    Oct. 06
    No movies tonight. Life keeps getting the way of horror movies this year.
    Oct. 07
    No movies again tonight. I feel ashamed.
    Oct. 08
    5. Dead Alive (1992, blu-ray)
    Oct. 09
    6. Mimic (1997, blu-ray)
    Oct. 10
    7. Forbidden Planet (1956, blu-ray)
    Oct. 11
    No movies again...
    Oct. 12
    No movies again... I saw the Trailer Park Boys live!
    Oct. 13
    8. Demon Seed (1977, DVD)
    Oct. 14
    9. Tourist Trap (1979, DVD)
    Oct. 15
    10. Bloody Pit of Horror (1965, DVD)
    Oct. 16
    11. The Masque of the Red Death (1964, DVD)
    Oct. 17
    12. The Skull (1965, blu-ray)
    Oct. 18
    13. The Boxer's Omen (1983, DVD)
    Oct. 19
    Nothing.
    Oct. 20
    Nothing again.
    Oct. 21
    Nothing, yet again. Worked until midnight.
    Oct. 22
    14. Mark of the Vampire (1935, DVD)
    Oct. 23
    15. Frankenhooker (1990, blu-ray)
    Oct. 24
    16. Zombie (1979, blu-ray)
    Oct. 25
    17. The House by the Cemetery (1981, blu-ray)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Can't wait! I'll be starting Friday night :).

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I guess I had a change of plans this year, I'm starting off with clearing out some of my Netflix Queue:

October 1st

[​IMG]
    Movie #1, around 12:15 AM -
    Blood Hook (1986 / directed by Jim Mallon) - [​IMG]

Man, you just gotta love Troma. I don't know what I just watched. It was hilarious. At first, it seemed like a bad spoof of Just Before Dawn (a movie that's already half-Friday the 13th, half-The Hills Have Eyes) but then... what can I say? The dialogue is incredible and the characters are some of the funniest I've ever encountered in the slasher subgenre. Especially the main character's love interest acting as psych student ("If you feel comfortable killing me... well, that's fine; I'm an adult, I can live with it") and the "I was in the military!" gun fanatic ("I ain't square-dancin' with you people!"). The end was a little ridiculous, to the point where the Nic Cage lookalike deserved to get hooked. Actually, his idiotic stunts throughout almost took some of the fun out of the movie (you'd expect that bit with him using the police car microphone to be funny but it just made me want to punch the guy). And then there's... Bev D. She's no Kelly from Blades, I can assure you. Is she on heavy drugs or mentally... "special"? Whichever one she is doesn't exactly justify her acting like one of the robo-whores from Westworld. And points to whoever came up with the killer's triggering mechanism. It may be highly implausible (is it?) but it's downright genius for a movie with this limited budget. Cheesy / campy as ALL HELL, poorly shot at times, poorly acted at others but too much fun to miss. See this!

10. DVD-fanatic-9

(Sorry for the double-post. It's just that, every year this thread is usually swamped with replies and so I try to reply faster to keep up... Looks like it's going to be a quieter year than normal.)

[​IMG]
    Movie #2, around 2:15 AM -
    The Pit and the Pendulum (1991 / directed by Stuart Gordon) - [​IMG]

Okay okay okay... headache time: they already made a "horror" movie about the Spanish Inquisition (which I hated) called Witchfinder General. Apparently, we didn't feel enough pain / slid into neglecting the suffering of the victims after the 80's slasher smörgåsbord so we (apparently) needed an update from Stuart Gordon. Honestly, what's the freaking pont: religion? Was religion that out of control in 1990? Is this some kind of commentary on the sex scandals of Jim Bakker and all those other guys who played with hookers? This thing is padded with too much very out of place humor when what it really does well is fiddle on and on and on with very hard-to-watch scenes of violence- mostly against the couple you see in the pic above. But... what makes this the slightest bit relevant? I guess you could call this a revenge film, but look at the means by which this movie considers it righting the wrongs of the bad characters. The husband gets in a sword fight and spills hot water on Stephen Lee in a few fleeting seconds during an action scene which - like the humor - wasn't warranted and... that's supposed to correct these assholes burning and boiling and slicing and viciously choking people to death? Unlike the heroic husband, Frances Bay gets in a few good licks though- the gun powder scene is one of the movie's few well-earned pleasures. And the scene where she tries to teach wife Maria how to use magic to escape the torture was a good idea that they abandoned in favor of beating her face against a wall and chopping off her tongue. Nice... Glad it was there. UG!! Anyway, just like was the case with Witchfinder General, Roger Corman's The Masque of the Red Death was still a far superior film.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  11. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #3, around 5:45 AM -
    Blood and Donuts (1995 / directed by Holly Dale) - [​IMG]

I... kinda liked it. It took me awhile, but when it looked like one of them was in danger, I realized that I cared about the characters. And I appreciated the lack of cliches like the love interest being freaked out to discover he was a vampire - so here, they made her the one who just kind of knew all along - or the bad guys just somehow expecting him to be a vampire and therefore, Cronenberg's pistol would actually be a watergun rather than having normal bullets in it. And I loved the cute relationship between the vampire and the cab driver; they weren't exactly friends or like-brothers and there was no cheap homophobia or pointless weirdness. However, the movie is just too darn slow. Every scene takes forever to get where it's going and that itself takes a lot of getting used to. Oh yeah, and awful cover versions of classic songs. Absolute torture on the ears. The ending was a surprise, though. A big one.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

The War of the Worlds (1953) :troll::troll::troll::joshua::joshua:

"No one would have believed in the middle of the 20th Century that human affairs were being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than Man's. Yet, across the gulf of space on the planet Mars, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely joined their plans against us."

A lot funnier than I remember it the last time. Most of that is really just the dialog and acting. The cinematography is moody and the special effects are pretty good until the blue screen shots at the end. I still applaud its less than rose tinted look at humanity, its lack of pure American patriotism (in the cold war era) and that it the stuck so closely with the ending.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #4, around 7:45 AM -
    The Guardian (1990 / directed by William Friedkin) - [​IMG]

This one's really easy to sum up quickly: well shot. The big budget is nice. The acting from the main cast might be good but the story is not interesting. The horror scenes are decent. Fast paced camrawork. The characters are boring as hell but the death scenes and the gore are literally amazing. Worth seeing for 2 scenes alone. But it's not a good movie. The special effects are also very good and it could have been good but it needs a better story and characters who don't make you want to fall asleep. Lastly, there's an entirely pointless moment where the villain is sexually assaulted, viciously beaten, thrown on the ground, and cut up with a knife. Look: I know she's an evil baby-killer. But is the movie trying to make us feel sympathy for her in this moment? Or is it just more open misogyny from director Friedkin? Between this and his Tales from the Crypt episode, it's clear this guy had no respect for women at this time in his career.

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 1:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Movie #1: Silver Bullet (1985) - The movie I watch every year to start off the horror fest. Still absolutely love it even though the werewolf looks like an angry teddy bear rather than a monster.

Movie #2: Mother's Day (2010) - One of the better remakes that I've seen. Great performances by Rebecca De Mornay and Jaime King, characters that I actually liked and some brutal violence. Could've maybe been cut down a little in the running time department and a couple of "Oh Come On!" moments, but otherwise an enjoyable flick.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  15. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #5, around 10:00 AM -
    The Burning (1981 / directed by Tony Maylam) - [​IMG]

Very well shot, the acting is mostly top notch, and there are 2 excellent death scenes. One of which I've pic'd above, neither of which I count as being the unbelievably overrated raft sequence. Apart from that- the music score isn't anything special, the story is shit, the characters have no character (which leaves all the charisma on the actors and most of them have none), there's enough pointless sleaze to fill the grand canyon, and it's infrequently ever any fun. It's stupid yet not compellingly stupid. However, the opening did show some promise and I did laugh once during the Burn Unit scene- although, I doubt that was its' intended reaction.

16. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I recently finished watching the complete series and have to say that this was one of my favorite episodes. Great choice!

18. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Starting off the first of the month with my annual viewing of Donnie Darko! :D

19. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Indeed. This was actually my first time watching this episode and I thought it was amazing too. I really love the gothic imagery it has. Reminds me of the old universal monster films. I'm gonna be watching a bunch of other episodes from "Thriller" season 1 for the first time and I'm excited. Gotta love the oldschool horror lol.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #6, around 12:00 PM -
    Session 9 (2001 / directed by Brad Anderson) - [​IMG]

I don't know whether to judge it as a ghost film or as a "mindfuck" movie. I think as the latter, some things probably don't add up. As a ghost film, it's just about done to perfection (fuck The Blair Witch Project; this is how you do it). I thought I was going to be bored in the first 4 minutes but the deeper you get into the building, the more atmospheric it becomes. The music is good, you actually become very interested in the characters, and the ending - even being padded with awful audio flashback clips - is great too. Oh, and... the murders are basically caused by a spilt pot of water? The fetch is pretty far here. But it's well worth the 100 minutes. Love the whole "Billy" thing, pretty damn creepy.