The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 18th:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tales From The Darkside: Trick or Treat (pilot) (1983)

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Next of Kin was excellent, although i feel like I need to see it under better circumstances in order to appreciate it even more fully. the only way i could find to see it (after hearing about it from Not Quite Hollywood) was to find a broken up full frame vhs transfer on youtube. not the best way to watch any film, let alone one working to build a sense of dread and atmosphere like this was. Even through that, it was still a good film.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Lady Frankenstein (1971) :troll::troll::troll::joshua::joshua:
    A very underrated flick that's fairly well shot, has many good actors and a nice gothic atmosphere. That there's lots and lots of nudity and the occational gore are also nice big pluses.

Elvira's bumpers on this one shift between being very good to very bad, mostly because it's one joke carried out throughout the episode. They might have been better off using the best material for only have the movie. Oh well, overall it's not bad.

4. Anubis

Anubis New Member

10/17/2011:

[​IMG]

5. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

[​IMG]

Just watched this, which I had no idea they were making. It's a thousand times better than part 3, but still not great. Hot girls and some pretty good gore, but too many really silly decisions by the characters.
    They actually have the mutants trapped in a jail cell, they fill up the cell with gas, but one of the girls won't let the guy throw a lighter in the cell because it'll mess up his conscience or something. She is saying this to a guy covered in his decapitated girlfriend's blood - I think it's too late for that.

The cover is a bit misleading, there's only a few minutes of mutants actually attacking, or even stepping foot outside in the snow, it's mostly set in an old sanitorium. Not sure who that girl is either.

Now I'm off to check out Hellraiser Revelations. Looks dreadful, but it's only like 70 minutes long. Should be funny.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  6. nightmare5fan

nightmare5fan Member

Hard to update with so much work and school! It's nice to see some Scream 4/Scream loving, though; I think both are perfect for Halloween night. My list so far...

Night of the Creeps (1986) ***

The Stepford Wives (1975) ***

Stagefright (1987) ** Hate the 80s synth music but love the gory kills and whacky wardrobes, and of course, the owl mask! Nice to see some gore after the dry and suspenseful Stepford.

Night of the Living Dead (1990) *** Didn't remember this one was so action filled! And that ending is kinda thought provoking...

Baron Blood (1972?) * Gee! This movie always makes me fall asleep... Annoying music in the opening scene (isn't it supposed to be a horror movie?) and a plot that takes forever to get going. Nice and violent kills, cool villain and fog ridden nights made me think a little too much of the first Elm Street film, but still, one of my least favorite Mario Bava films.

Shivers (1975) *** Love everything about this one: the ultra modern 70s building, Lynn Lowry looking like Francesca from Mad Moster Party, Barbara Steel taking a bath (mmm... was Craven taking notes again with this scene?) and all that raping is still unconfortable.

Targets (1968) *** Another favorite of mine: excellent actings, scary/hyperrealistic violence and a moving final confrontation between the two monsters at the climax.

Psycho 2 (1983) <3 Watched on cable a few years ago and fell in love ever since Superb acting and suspense. Damn Universal for not releasing special editions of fans' favorite sequels!
    Psycho 3 (1986) *** Thought this one would be a lot worse. I liked the theme of everyone carrying their own inner hells/unresolved past, the twisted religious imagery and the progressively sleazy/violent portraits of sex in this series. Great ending, and fixes any peeves one might have with part 2's ending.
    Psycho IV (1990) * Duh... Really forgettable. Liked the editing at the beginnig, and the openly 90s tone (was that dj the only ever africanamerican character to appear in this franchise?) but it gets too boring at the end. Zero tension and clichéd story. Nice to see Olivia Hussey and Henry Thomas as young Norman.

Highlights of the week: guy drilled through a door, ultra-skinny 80s chick showing some nipple while getting stabbed, old lady raping a waiter/bell boy, mom getting shot in the kitchen, Boris Karloff giving some slaps, Barbara shooting disgusting non-zombie guy in the head, some hand-stabbing bonanza, nude dude playing the guitar, girl getting throat cut while taking a piss in the toilet, girl from Friday V getting violently thrown nude out of a motel, "breathing is sexual" line...

7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 18th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

33) Cronos: One of the most unique and original vampire films I've seen in quite a while. Del Toro's feature film debut is filled with creative characters, an interesting story line, sweet direction and Ron Pearlman in one of his best roles. High recommendation to those seeking something different. (8/10)

34) Hour Of The Wolf: Truly a bizarre trip. The film dances a fine line between reality and insanity from start to finish. Loved the dream like quality of the film, not knowing what was real and what wasn't really kept me involved the whole way through. I'm not 100% sure I understood the ending but I would love to watch this again in the future and dissect the details. (8/10)

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

[​IMG]

Just finished up Hellraiser Revelations. Not as bad as the trailer made it look, it's still pretty bad. I was hoping for something hilariously terrible like Children of the Corn 2 or 3. Hellraiser Revelations is just kind of there. It's not bad enough (or long enough) that you'll want to kill yourself, but there's not a lot going on to keep you paying full attention. The new Pinhead(s) were pretty goddamn funny looking though, the dude from the cover had way too chubby of a face to put a bunch of nails into. He looks like a pin cushion. It actually looks okay on the cover, but in the movie, nope. Doesn't work.

Right now I'm watching an Elvira MTV Halloween thing from 1986. It's got Elvira on a tour of Salem in between some great videos from Bauhaus and The Damned. I think it's like 4 hours long, complete with commercials, shit quality as it's from a 25 year old tape, but it's pretty awesome. Well, the Luis Cardenas Runaway video that just started kind ruined the streak. But now I've got a commercial with Dracula in a coffin playing with a Texas Instruments calculator and the awesome continues. Man, now a Toxic Avenger TV spot, shit this tape rules:)

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 18th

[​IMG]
    Let the Right One In (2008) Rating: 4/5

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

My Birthday always screws with my horror watching but, I'm getting back on the horse today.

October 12th

[​IMG]
    Movie #16, after 6:00 PM -
    Stephen King's The Shining (1997 / directed by Mick Garris) - [​IMG]

Kubrick's film is unquestionably and easily superior thanks to the fact that apart from perhaps Elliot Gould (who's only here for 3 minutes), not a single member of the cast gives a fully even and consistant performance. Oh, and... while they aren't used as much as they could have been (The Langoliers), bad CGI / computer effects. But this film truly shocks and even awes on occasion, especially in where this adaptation can claim undeniable superiority over Kubrick: the husband - vs - wife confrontation. In Kubrick's film, it starts and stops twice and produces only one moment I would call amazing (the freezer lock-in). Here, it starts and doesn't stop until you've been duly HORRIFIED at what Garris and company were actually able to get away with on network TV for the Scream-era, "we-hate-violence" 90's. As a matter of fact, I nearly thought the movie was sexist for the unbelievable beating Steven Weber's Jack puts on Rebecca De Mornay's Wendy. It seriously strikes a nerve- he beats the ever loving shit out of her! But, and this is where I had to pony up some respect for brutal horror (because this certainly qualifies), she eventually bests him and not without really laying some killer hits on him. Point: though this adaptation is extremely heavy on the sap and sugar-coating for awhile, that melts away when the kid (who, yes, is often if not usually annoying on an UNGODLY plane- though the movie finally finds out how to properly use him in the final 20 minutes) is offscreen. It's also stuffed with too many repeat moments from the movie. But it moves faster than you'd expect for being 4 and a half hours long and is shot brilliantly. It looks incredible! And there are several truly scary moments- the one I pic'd above being the best in my opinion. That mask, especially when nobody's wearing it, quickly takes on the same quality as the spiders from Arachnophobia- the shots cut quick to and away from it and the second you see it, the hairs on your arm shoot up.

11. Vortex

Vortex Member

You missed one. #7 is the disastrous, but amusing Howling: New Moon Rising.

12. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG]

Satan's Slave DVD
    Terror DVD

13. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 18th

[​IMG]

Pretty much a must see if you're into Asian Horror and/or Slasher Films. Great idea for a story and some really brutal and inventive kills.

A new CAT III classic! Nobody does violence like the Asians!

Solid 4/5

14. DVD-fanatic-9

October 19th

[​IMG]
    TV #12 -
    Tales from the Crypt - Season 7 (1996), Episode 1 - "Fatal Caper" (directed by Bob Hoskins) - [​IMG]

I sort of liked it. It starts off fairly badly with awful, artery-clogged "shock" humor but then I found myself liking the Justin character. I don't know why. Also, Natasha Richardson just turns in an excellent performance- you're never completely sure what she's up to. The twist was a bit of a surprise but the second I heard her say the word "surgery," I pretty much had it figured out. Clearly, this is Season 7's version of "Seance" (Season 4) but the clear edge goes to "Seance" because it's darker. This episode is way too light in every aspect.

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Sucks about the broken up full frame vhs transfer but sometimes there are not many options.
    I bought the German 16x9 DVD which comes with English audio and a tiny burned in line of text (only when you choose English audio). It's not very distracting but the very good PQ makes up for it anyway.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    TV #13 -
    Tales from the Crypt - Season 7 (1996), Episode 2 - "Last Respects" (directed by Freddie Francis) - [​IMG]

Huh. This one's a bit harder to gauge, since it's clearly supposed to be either campy and/or over-the-top. Well, it's nowhere near as outrageous as the like of Dead Alive, The Granny (worse than this), or Rabid Grannies (significantly better than this). These are what come to mind for the obvious reasons (old women, rich relatives, greedy family, zombies). The 3 sister characters are kinda fun even though they don't make any sense (they all alternate unconvincingly between nice and suspiciously conniving at the plot's convenience). The comedy is terrible but the ideas are good. Unfortunately, they don't make the episode scary or twisted enough. The episode has enough to make it passable but not enough to make it good. I say skip unless you want to see more in the vein of Granny / Rabid Grannies.

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** denotes first time viewing

10/01 - Halloween (1978) 8/10
    10/01 - Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    10/02 - Terror in the Aisles (1984) 8/10 **
    10/03 - The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983) 7/10 **
    10/04 - Massacre at Central High (1976) 7/10 **
    10/05 - Demented (1980) 4/10 **
    10/06 - Night of the Howling Beast (aka The Werewolf and the Yeti) (1975) 6/10 **
    10/07 - Killer Fish (1979) 3/10 **
    10/08 - The Prey (Uncut) (1984) 1/10 **
    10/09 - Stone Cold Dead (1979) 3/10 **
    10/10 - Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **
    10/10 - Elvira's Movie Macabre: Count Dracula's Great Love (1972) 6/10 **
    10/11 - The Haunted (1977) 5/10 **
    10/12 - Night of the Demon (1980) 6/10 **
    10/13 - Curse of the Devil (1974) **
    10/14 - Pale Blood (1990) 4/10 **
    10/14 - Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973) **
    10/15 - Vengeance of the Zombies (1972) 6/10 **
    10/16 - The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975) 2/10 **
    10/17 - Final Exam (1981) 6/10 **
    10/18 - Hanging Woman (aka Terror of the Living Dead) (1973) 5/10 **

[​IMG]

The Devil Within Her (aka Sharon's Baby) (1975) 2/10 **

A jaded dwarf possess Joan Collins' baby; murder ensues. I like bad movies but this one didn't click with me. The biggest problem is that the parents aren't likable or despicable so I had no investment in the characters when they are forced to deal with this absurd situation. The ridiculous killer baby segments aren't frequent enough to save the film either. I did enjoy seeing Donald Pleasance and Caroline Munro (she is a stunner). There is one fantastic kill and the final 10 minutes are surprisingly good, but it was a real slog getting to that point.

This is the first "Katarina's Nightmare Theater" release I've watched. I did appreciate learning few nuggets about the feature but her delivery isn't quite as enjoyable as the other horror hostess that I'm so fond of. I love the idea of bringing back the horror host, so hopefully it will improve as these releases continue.

[​IMG]

Final Exam (1981) 6/10 **

It’s the final days of the semester and a psycho is killing off the remaining students on Lanier College’s campus. IMO, the worse criticisms you can give a slasher is bloodless, takes too long for the killing to start, and generic killer. Those are all true of FINAL EXAM, but the strength of its characters and cinematography allow it transcend the genre. After a strong first kill to start off the film it goes into 50 minutes of ANIMAL HOUSE before the next one. It only works because the characters are so interesting and the drama/action is well paced. While some of the kills are lackluster there are a few good ones. In truth, the final 30 minutes of slashing are pretty satisfying. I can see why some like that the killer’s motivations were never revealed but I believe that giving the killer some kind of gimmick or identity could have elevated this good slasher film to a classic.

The commentary track on the "Katarina's Nightmare Theater" release is well worth a listen. Producer, Myron Meisel, is surprisingly candid and remembers a great deal. Much of it fascinating. Myron kinda moderates the commentary with Katarina providing someone for him to speak to.

[​IMG]

Hanging Woman (aka Terror of the Living Dead) (1973) 5/10 **

A stranger arrives in small highland village in 19th-century Scotland to claim an inheritance and is met with apocalyptic visions and other evil omens. This plays like a sleazy soap opera for the first hour. The final act is really enjoyable once the (predictable) origin of the Zombies becomes clear. Naschy is terrific in his small role as Igor the gravedigger. The English dub track was suitable for this campy romp. I suspect I may enjoy this one more on a subsequent viewings.

18. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of HorribluHalloween

Blu-ray
    DVD
    Streaming
    October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    3. My Soul to Take
    4. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    October 4, 2011:
    6. Bereavement
    October 5, 2011:
    7. The Amityville Horror (2005)
    October 7, 2011:
    8. Scream 4
    October 8, 2011:
    9. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus
    10. The Last House on the Left (1972)
    October 9, 2011:
    11. Troll Hunter
    BONUS: Frankenstein (1931)
    October 10, 2011:
    12. Friday the 13th Part 2
    October 13, 2011:
    13. Friday the 13th Part 3 (3D)
    October 15, 2011:
    14. Blood & Chocolate
    15. Splinter
    BONUS: Dracula (1931)
    October 17, 2011:
    16. Hollow Man
    October 18, 2011:
    17. A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
    The Film- 7.5/10​
    PQ- 7/10​
    AQ- 6.5/10​

Another film that is better than it is given credit for. The introductory "bus ride to hell" is creative, both in concept and execution, and really sets the right tone for the film. Sure, there are many missteps here, mainly related to the casting and portrayal of the main character. This is old territory, so I don't need to cover it again. However, Freddy is still "dark" in this film and serve up several memorable scenes, most notably the pool party massacre. Although I understand the criticism of some regarding the decision to bring Freddy into the real world, New Line must be lauded for trying to move the sequel in an original direction rather than making a carbon copy of the original. Further, this direction allows the great nightmare scenes and buildup as Freddy gets "into" Jessie's head.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/19 #28

[​IMG][​IMG]

Infestation (2009) BD

Alien insects have taken over the world and a handful of survivors are trying to stay alive. Funny Sci-Fi Horror mixing CGI with practical effects. Pretty good movie and not what I expected. Recommended 4/5

The Skeptic
    (2009) BD

Arrogant lawyer inherits house and soon the spooky stuff begins. Laid back chills and thrills with hidden humor. The German Blu-ray comes with decent PQ and "pop". 4/5

20. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

October 4th

04. Thriller: Papa Benjamin (1961)

October 5th

05. Thriller: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (1961)

October 6th

06. Thriller: The Devil's Ticket (1961)

October 7th

07. Thriller: Parasite Mansion (1961)

October 8th

08. Thriller: Mr. George (1961)

October 9th

09. Thriller: The Terror in Teakwood (1961)

October 10th

10. Thriller: The Prisoner in the Mirror (1961)

October 11th

11. Thriller: Dark Legacy (1961)

October 12th

12. The Black Cat (1934)

October 13th

13. The Raven (1935)

October 14th

14. Dracula (1931)

October 15th

15. Frankenstein (1931)

October 16th

16. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)