The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 2nd

[​IMG]
    Movie #7, around 4:00 AM -
    Santa Sangre (1989 / directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky) - [​IMG]

Hilariously campy but ridiculous and ultimately pointless art-religious horror film. Here's a thought: if he's going to be driven into the arms of a shemale due to his mother's emasculation... and it turns out his mother was dead the whole time we see him allegedly being made femme enough to go for a wrestler who is all-man except for a dress and a pair of fake-looking tits hung on for decoration... then, there's, like: no point. Except to stick on a Psalms poem quote at the end like it means something. Seriously, are we meant to believe his behavior throughout the performance-art section of the movie was inspired by his father's sole taunt of: "you're crying like a little girl"? Not nearly enough believable motivation. However... there is one amazing death scene worth sticking through the first hour for. And it is frequently funny, always outrageous, and pretty stylish. But I simply can't accept a movie this ridiculous as having any true meaning. Even as some kind of circus sideshow. It's a long damn movie.

2. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #8, around 7:00 AM -
    The Beast Within (1982 / directed by Philippe Mora) - [​IMG]

What... a... piece... of... SHIT. It's bad in almost every single way a horror film can be bad: it's barely written, barely acted (only 3 of the cast members are any good), the characters are DETESTABLE, the editing sucks, scenes go on FOREVER and nothing redeeming happens (best example, other than the rape and transformation scenes is the WHAT THE FUCK!?!?! meat delivery / hamburger-making scene), every single murder and "surprise" / shock scene is completely predictable (I've never seen this before and I knew every single thing that was going to happen), and it's literally on the verge of glorifying rape. The only slightly redeeming qualities this thing has are some good camera shots (it is a 2.35:1 movie, so, of course if they know where to shoot, what they get is going to look good) and the unintentionally funny moment I pic'd above where the dog actually brings the making-out couple a rotting severed hand like: "look what I found! You want it?" Easily one of the all-time worst pre-new millennium horror films I have ever seen in my entire life.

3. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Great. DVD-fanatic-9 gets his very own thread...

5. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I have some commitments outside of normal this month that are going to prevent my from watching one film a day. As such, I'm still going to keep a list of what I watch, but there will be unavoidable gaps...

6. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of Horriblu Halloween

October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    The Film- 8/10​
    PQ- 7.5/10​
    AQ- 7/10​
    2. The Others
    The Film- 8.5/10​
    PQ- 8/10​
    AQ- 6.5/10​

7. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 2nd:

Vacancy (2007)
    Turistas (2006)
    Frontier(s) (2007)
    Borderland (2007)
    Wolf Creek (2005)
    Hostel (2005)
    Hostel Part II (2007)

8. DVD-fanatic-9

[​IMG]
    Movie #9, around 9:45 AM -
    Demonic Toys (1992 / directed by Peter Manoogian) - [​IMG]

Obviously dumb but you expect that. It's mostly unoffensively dumb and it does have some pretty good special effects, the toys look creepy / scary enough (even if they're obviously a Ghoulies meets Puppet Master rip-off line, there isn't anything from either film as traumatizing as that clown jack-in-the-box), and most of the stuff with the little kid-demon actually works. In fact, given a little polish on the dialogue (and casting another voice actor for the ultra-annoying Oopsie Daisy), this might have been passable. Oh, and... send Tracy Scoggins back where she came from (just don't replace her with Daphne Zuniga, any brunette on the planet but her and Stacey Nelkin... or Lisa Freeman- those 3; in fact- why not Joan Severance?).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 1st
    The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
    The Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
    Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)

October 2nd
    These Are the Damned (1963)
    Paranoiac (1963)

Started off midnight Friday with some Hammer Frankenstein's. Never seen Revenge before, really enjoyed it. Evil has always been a favorite, even though most don't like it because it's too much like a Universal Frankenstein.

Got up this morning and watched a couple Oliver Reed Hammer outings. Both of which are among my favorites from them.

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

That's a great selection, wish I had those on dvd.

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

12. DVD-fanatic-9

Actually, I thought Tom Towles was the one who got the shortest end.

[​IMG]
    Movie #10, around 1:00 PM -
    Dead & Buried (1981 / directed by Gary (A.) Sherman) - [​IMG]

Well, this one ought to be fun to write about. This one was talked up quite a bit from, if you can believe it, the two pinheads over at thehorrordebate.com. And for the longest time during, I was REALLY impressed. It is a deeply dread-inducing, dark, unpredictable, atmospheric, smart, freaky, and exciting movie. The acting is excellent, the ideas are shockingly original (for as long as you don't know the twist ending), the characters are likable, the storyline and progression made you want to know what was going on, the special effects are incredible (except for the acid victim... FULCI did a better acid victim than this movie- which is something to think about), and the deaths were surprising and vicious. Does it sound like I'm really trying to sell you this movie? It should. It's that good... For the majority of the running time. The movie had a couple of weaknesses, both pretty small (until the ending). One is in general the conspiracy theory angle (we did already have The Stepford Wives there). The other is the logically questionable acid victim scene- the only moment that is truly predictable. I don't really believe in what the scene was implying- they were just trying to milk a scare which we knew was coming. Finally... the ending is bad. It's just bad. The acting doesn't falter but everything else does. The twist was cheap (not "who" the Master character turned out to be- the final twist after the first twist) and it completely deflated all the scariness of the movie. Not to mention that they screwed up the logic again (the moment where the cameras come out again- it doesn't make any sense when we discover what we do just before the credits roll).

13. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

[GLOW="Orange"]Damage's Halloween Horrors 2011[/GLOW]
    Sunday, October 2nd, 2011:
    [​IMG]
    They Came from Beyond Space (1967)
    Amicus Sci-Fi alien invasion flick directed by Freddie Francis, so you know it's got to be good, right? I mean, look at that totally boss poster! Well think again, sparky. This one moves very slowly and really doesn't get cooking at all. The only thing keeping the momentum up was that the version I watched was hosted by the always enchanting Elvira, mistress of the dark.

The count so far...
    01. Scalps (1983)
    02. They Came from Beyond Space (1967)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  14. cjg

cjg Active Member

October 1st
    Mountaintop Motel Massacre
    Incredible Melting Man

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 2:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I Saw The Devil (2010) - Pretty damn awesome flick that loses a few points because of the ending. Great performances, some brutal violence and some heartbreaking moments.

The Vineyard (1989) - Silly, silly movie. One of those movies that are so bad that they almost end up being fun anyway.

Butchered (2010) - Yet another cheapie slasher flick. Kids go to an island to party and run into an escaped serial killer. Not much gore, a little bit of nudity, some truly annoying characters and even though the movie is only 1 hour 10 minutes long, there feels like there's a lot of filler thrown in.

Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1986) - Actually better than I'd heard it was. The acting is pretty damn bad and the story is kinda silly but there's plenty of fun moments throughout this flick.

Cold Prey III (2010) - Well it's a prequel so you pretty much know how it's all going to end up but it's still a pretty well made, nice looking movie with likable characters. Not quite as enjoyable/tense as the first two, but definitely a worthy addition to the franchise. Hope they make more.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

As much as I disagree with DF Niner, I appeciate his mini reviews and comments more than just a list. I just saw Santa Sangre for the first time this summer, and really enjoyed it. No, it didn't make a damn bit of sense, but I kinda knew it wouldn't from pretty much the beginning. So I put logic and reason away, and just appreciated the amazing visuals and bizarre scenes. In other words, all of them.

The Beast Within I'm mixed on. I loved it as a teenager (see my review: http://www.horrordigital.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=364), but it hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped it would. It's pretty damn dumb. But hey, the trailer is A+ creepy!

For my own viewing, I watched the French zombie film The Horde last night. Not bad, very violent, and a fantastic zombie attack scene late in the movie. But for "apartment house zombie movies", it still pales in comparison to Cronenberg's Shivers and even Bava's Demons 2.

17. Anthropophagus

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to share these reviews with us. Great Halloween reading!!

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  18. nightmare5fan

nightmare5fan Member

October already?!?! This year has gone really fast...

Nice thread. I really want to see The Beast Within (already ordered, should arrive this week) and I'm also curious about Sorority Babes.

October 1st:
    Night of the Creeps - First time I watched it I hated those awful 80's clothes and hair styles (same happened with Friday the 13th VI), cheesy synth music and tensionless third act, but now it has grown on me with repeated viewings. It would have been awesome if they had kept the 50s setting, though, with that kick-ass rock soundtrack.

October 2nd:
    Tonight I'll watch The Stepford Wives.

19. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

One more for today:

[​IMG]

The Body Snatcher (1945) - One of the best movies that Val Lewton produced, mainly because of a truly awesome performance by Boris Karloff. The guy manages to be vile and evil but still likable. Pretty great stuff.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  20. Anthropophagus

Off to a slow start unfortunately for this year:
    Oct.1.
    The Haunting (1999)-Only watched half, it was so dreadfully boring I fell asleep.
    Oct.2.
    C.H.U.D. (1984)-I know lots of people don't like it but I still get a kick out of this rubber suit monster movie. Daniel Stern was pretty good in it too, and it's cool to see John Goodman in an early role.