The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I finally saw Sucker Punch today - I loved it. Best use of interpretive dance in a movie, ever (except maybe the Dude's landlord in the Big Lebowski).

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Invader ZIM - Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom (2001) :troll::troll::troll::joshua::joshua:

Surprisingly this has very little to do with Halloween besides the fact that it takes place on Halloween. There's some nice gags, especially with GIR at the end, but the rest of the jokes a stretched a bit thin over a 30 minutes episode. Disappointing really. Not a bad Invader ZIM but hardly special.

[​IMG]
    Rifftrax - Carnival of Souls (1962) :troll::troll::troll::troll::joshua:

Although Carnival of Souls has heaps of mood it's just as absurdly cheesy. Next to Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny this is probably the best Rifftrax on DVD. There are no stand out riffs but overall quality and frequency of them is what helps take this to the next level. Some of the better movies seem to bring this out of our boys and the more dead air the better. And this has plenty of dead air.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

seems like my viewing choices are pretty unoriginal these days. everything i see has already been watched and mentioned first in this page. first session 9, then prom night II, now this. i agree pretty much, although i didn't find the scene where the nanny is menaced by the three thugs to be quite as remarkable as you did.

a couple of things to mention. first, i've always loved the poster for this film. it seems so mysterious and atmospheric. some parts of the movie have a little bit of that atmosphere, but for the most part its lacking. i think if the story had more depth it might have been better, but as it is all the depth and explanation we get is in the opening text screens. other than that, the film has hardly any substance at all. which is a shame. secondly, i was surprised to find myself reminded of the evil dead constantly throughout the picture. the tree dragging the thugs around, the ram-o-cam'esque wolf POV shots, the man in the basement with the shotgun, and the bloodsplattered chainsaw ending. perhaps it was DP John A. Alonzo and not Friedkin, but whoever was responsible was definitely channeling evil dead. which was completely unexpected.

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of Horriblu Halloween

October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    1. My Soul to Take
    The Film- 6/10​
    PQ- 8.5/10​
    AQ- 9/10​
    2. Case 39
    The Film- 7/10​
    PQ- 8/10​
    AQ- 8/10​

Tonight, I tried a pair of films with less than stellar reputations.
    My Soul to Take is not nearly as awful as many have chatted it up to be. It also is not a good film. It really can feel like a fun throw-back to the "gimmicky" slashers of the late 80s and early 90s if you let it. Although they were dark times for the slasher genre, an occassional return to that style is enjoyable in the same cheesy way as the originals.
    Case 39 is, on the other hand, a decent film. It feels much like The Orphan, another recent favorite of mine, with a more supernatural twist. I am not sure why the studio held out on this one for so long, as the film is much better than alot of the other dreck produced during the same time frame.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Terror in the Aisles (1984)

Oct 2

Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    The Haunted Palace (1963)
    The Oblong Box (1969)

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/02 (Movies: 2)

[​IMG]

A Night To Dismember (1983)

Mentally unstable Vicky returns home after spending five years in the nuthouse. Once accused of murder Vicky herself is now the target of a murderous plot.
    Doris Wishman's inept home-made psychedelic slasher is a prime example of bad movie making, mostly because the original print was nearly destroyed in a fire. Wishman patched things up ala Ed Wood and the results are pure hilarity. 5/5

7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 2nd
    [​IMG]

4) Cold Fish: This one was bizarre to say the least. Filled to the brim with dark morbid humor and a blood soaked ending to boot. What they really could have done was flesh out the daughter's subplot a little better and tightened up the ending and it would of been perfect because the movie kind of has a premature feel to it.(7/10)

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Same here. I went back and altered my list of movies to watch this October for varieties sake ;)

9. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Driller Killer DVD
    Last House On Dead End Street DVD
    I Dismember Mama DVD
    I Drink Your Blood DVD

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

(On DVD; still October 2nd)

[​IMG]
    Movie #11, around 8:30 PM -
    The Howling IV: The Original Nightmare (1988 / directed by John Hough) - [​IMG]

Ah, that name... John Hough; he's got a piece of my childhood in his hands (now in the grave: Disney's original Witch Mountain movies). And this movie shows a bizarre kind of ineptness more than any kind of bizarre atmosphere and story. I bought the DVD because I like little bad movies and I loved what I saw in Obscuras Lupa's review of it, where thanks to her I now can't view the absurd Coca-Cola advertisements as quaint = some small town's idea of hip (or something)- which I would naturally and think it was kinda cool (in my honest dorky way where I'm impressed by very little). I liked the idea of the "city" characters getting away to a "modern" version of a small town in nowhere setting - think Troll 2 sense of isolation: nobody is right by phones, big stereos, and for the most part TV's. Of course, there's just one thing Troll 2 has that this movie's missing: the quirky supporting cast of side characters. Oh, there are plenty of side characters but they are all dull (except for blond adonis in a business suit Tom, and he's just decoration). The main heroine has a little pep and her man comes off as surprisingly supportive and resourceful- best character in the movie. But it's nowhere near enough. Meanwhile, too many ideas from the book not in the original Howling aren't given proper treatment and the only things driving this movie are what Hough & co take from the original movie (her hearing something howling at night, the forest sex scene, burning down the one place with all the werewolves in it, etc). The ending is pretty damn good thanks to excellent special effects but nothing else in rest of the movie is that good. Not as boring as it could have been but that's not much in the movie's favor. See Troll 2 instead (this movie's Marsha replacement seems to have more in common with Credence spliced together with Rita Moreno-in-heat than she does with the original movie's more Angelina Jolie-esque firecracker). Oh, and... that guy playing the cop is truly horrible. Oh how I long for the burly stuntman reject I just saw last week in Wes Craven's Invitation to Hell to be playing this role instead. Or that guy calling Lynn Shaye to flirt in Critters. Both of these guys were ridiculous, but both are far more tolerable than this idiot douche.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

(On DVD; still October 2nd)

[​IMG]
    TV #1, around 7:00 PM -
    Tales from the Crypt - Season 2 (1990), Episode 2 - "The Switch" (directed by Arnold Schwarzenegger) - [​IMG]

Goddamn, this show is FUN! Every time I watch this episode, in particular, I like it more. This time, I know I noticed more in the "Doctor" character's laboratory. I don't know what it was last night but this episode was like a thrill- loved every second of it. And, really, what's fun about the Carlton character's hopeless longing for the girl who doesn't want him? Maybe the better question is- isn't Carlton being a little superficial himself? He worries about whether she'll want him for his money but, why has he been pursuing such a much younger person in the first place? Maybe his love is a little tied up in her looks. I actually like Kelly Preston, she's a no-nonsense actress who plays vapid with intelligence and can be an entertainingly detestable bitch. In fact, I've seen 3 other slightly similar bitch roles and she was great in all of 'em. So, I wouldn't think the inevitable weak link in the episode is her. Then you've got Roy Brocksmith who's excellent and Rick Rossavich who's smoking hot. So, it's not them either. I think... the problem here is Ian Abercrombie's Fulton. If you accept him as loyal - which sort of takes a bit of effort since he doesn't seem to have that much going on through most of his scenes - then isn't he King Bastard for not only leaving him to go be the servant of what is in effect his nemesis, but also looking at him - when he shows up to discover Hans has taken both his money and the thing he gave his money up for - as though he were some kind of bum or a pathetic creature when the whole time he knew how lonely Carlton was, he couldn't have been trying to express more sympathy... I mean, without the buffer of explaining to us that this is all in Carlton's head (ala- the self invented worst-nightmare similar to the "they're all gonna laugh at you!" sequence in Carre) or that Fulton left because he thought Carlton had lost his tenderness in his obsession with being young, etc(.)... this betrayal is just too unbelievable to accept. Of course, however, when you know it's coming, you can just enjoy the piggish nature of a filmmaker with the balls to do something like that. It doesn't come off as tough but as lacking restraint, and that can be fun too if you find overindulgence has its' upside.

[​IMG]
    TV #2, around 7:30 PM -
    Tales from the Crypt - Season 2 (1990), Episode 3 - "Cutting Cards" (directed by Walter Hill) - [​IMG]

Lance Henriksen is great (as always), Kevin Tighe a little less so. By the time there are 2 bullets left and he lucks out, it makes sense that he is so full of excitement that he can't pretend to be cool anymore (coupled with the leftover fear of possibly getting the bullet that turn). Nearly every sentence of his, he just can't wait to get the words out of his mouth. This makes him an unequal match for Henriksen who is perfect at waiting for his moment. He takes every last one of his turns like it's the one that really counts. Then, Tighe blows his- I'd say every one out of 3. Which is a lot considering how dialogue-focused this episode is and how much it derives intensity from the performances. Henriksen nails 'em all and Tighe almost telegraphs the outcome of the upcoming chop poker match by making himself look kinda pathetic (older, flabbier) in comparison (perfectly molding his finger-losing "O"-face well in advance). If he was so good at cleaning the other guys out (guys... once worthy of standing toe-to-toe with Henriksen's Reno?), why does he treat the sudden re-emergence of Henriksen like it sends a chill down his spine when Henriksen seems more mildly annoyed that the guy he has to prove himself against is Tighe's Sam? Then he delivers that "there's somethin' I want from you and I want it REAL bad" as though, well, maybe Reno's return sent a chill down another part of him (don't tell me it never crossed your mind- especially when Tighe rubs the "your wife left you" line in his face as though Reno cared more about her reputation as his trophy than he ever did their marriage). (And, don't worry, the closest I believe these two guys would ever get to intimacy with another man is flirting. Which in this context is suitably masked by tons of between-the-line readable innuendo. Both in the dialogue and in their physical games.) So, yeah: episode great. But, how does one go about reading it when both the show's bragging of his many achievements and Rhett's review here treat Walter Hill like a guy who does everything intentionally?

12. cjg

cjg Active Member

Oct 2
    Deadline
    A Horrible Way To Die

13. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

October 1st:

The Wizard of Gore, Originial

October 2nd:

Laid To Rest
    Supernatural, Season 7: Season Premiere, and 2nd Episode on September 30th.

Started a day early:

Friday, September 30th:

Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore Documentary on DVD

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/03 (Movies: 5)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) BD
    Creepshow (1982) BD
    The Thing (1982) BD

My sister got to pick movies today and this is what we watched. Seen all three on my own this year already.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Shame on him for adding compelling content when a list of films watched is all that’s needed. /sarcasm

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

As with last year: the best laid plans... :( My weekend was sidetracked by beer and a mobile food-truck fair.

I did see Drive, though, and it had its bloody moments. Hoping to catch a good horror flick tonight when i finish work. Love to see all the films that posters have already watched. I'm impressed and jealous.

18. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** denotes first time viewing

10/01 - Halloween (1978) 8/10
    10/01 - Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    10/02 - Terror in the Aisles (1984) 8/10 **

[​IMG]

Halloween (1978) 8/10

I watched the entire Halloween franchise, for the first time, two years ago and really enjoyed it. It was nice to discover that Carpenter’s 1978 slasher holds up to repeated viewings. What interests me in many lesser slashers are in the inventive kills and general sleaziness. What puts Halloween above the rest is the amazing cinematography, haunting score and likeable characters. I can understand how this film became an October staple for so many horror fans.

[​IMG]

Halloween II (1981) 6/10

When I watched Halloween II (1981) for the first time two years ago I thought it was dreadful. This time I watched immediately after the original and found it to be a much better experience. Like the original, its strengths are its score and cinematography. What it lacks in engaging characters it makes up for with interesting kills. It still has a few things that annoy me, like Michael’s loss of depth perception whenever Laurie is within eye-sight, but that doesn’t keep the two films from making an enjoyable double-feature. From now on I will never watch one without the other.

[​IMG]

Terror in the Aisles (1984) 8/10 **

I’ve wanted to track this film down for some time but was never interested in seeing it on VHS. With it being a clip show I didn’t believe 4:3 would do the scenes justice. I was right to wait because the Blu-ray is fantastic. Just about all of the clips (with possible exception of Texas Chainsaw Massacre) look as good or better than you’d expect the associated films to look on DVD. The parts created just for Terror in the Aisles looks as incredibly sharp as you’d expect from a BD. Considering that the clips shown are from many excellent horror and thriller films I shouldn’t have been surprised that my heart was racing for most of the feature. They expertly mixed the different themes so well that I never found myself reaching for the remote. Terror in the Aisle might become the staple of my October viewing for years to come.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

October 3rd

[​IMG]
    Movie #12, around 8:15 AM -
    Terror Tract (2000 / directed by Lance W. Dreesen, Clint Hutchison) - [​IMG]

Well, since I just finished it about 2 minutes ago [2 minutes after writing this paragraph], I'm probably inclined to look back upon it fondly. Why? Good question; the stories all pretty much sucked. Nothing was original. Everything was predictable. The acting and special effects were good but everything else was unimpressive to an extraordinary degree. And yet there is a reason: the ending is good. The 90 minutes before it are actually building up to one of the best endings I think I may have ever seen in the entire genre. Now... why is the ending so good? I'll spoil it for you (since I doubt you'd be willing to just buy me at face value) and take it brick by brick:

1) "It's About Time!" Satisfaction. Now, all of the stories have really bad would-be ironic twists that serve as someone's comeuppance for either being too stupid or too "sinful" (for lack of a better word). And maybe you'll see this coming too but... this time, this guy really deserved it in my opinion. The movie is clearly a satire of suburban life (its' own intention, for the first 90 minutes it isn't the slightest bit successful) but none of them are clinging to their upper class neighborhood as a bastion of human decency- etc. The wraparound segment, however, features 2 smug, uptight 20-something jerks who are extremely judgmental and just totally unlikable. So, this leads to the first death scene in the movie I was actually glad to see.

2) Return of the Complimentary Pen. Well, this couple might not be buying a house from John Ridder's agent. But they have no choice now but to take the fucking complimentary pen. Do they?

3) Blink and You Missed It. This, maybe, 2 minute sequence is faster than a bullet. The first thing that came to mind before I lost it and started laughing my ass off was- even if he'd been able to sell a house in time to keep the company from killing his family (a twist surely inspired by Stephen King's Cat's Eye), he still killed the woman's husband and there's no way he would have gotten away with it. But, stop to think about that you'll miss at least the next two on this list.

4) One-Liners That Are Actually Funny. It could be the fact that John Ridder is funny or it could be that none of the jokes he tells in this scene are puns, but... his dialogue here is some fucking HILARIOUS stuff! Re-watch the scene again and take note: he's practically doing stand-up.

5) A Nice Neighborhood? Most of the observational gags here are cliches, and yet, I laughed at things here I would never have laughed at in another movie. If you can keep a straight face during the scenes outside, you could no doubt win a staring contest against a statue. I even laughed again when it was over, just because the music was so funny.

6) "You're Scaring the Straights!" As though it weren't satisfying enough to watch the husband killed, seeing the wife freaking out over everything the movie is throwing at the screen like each is the first weird thing she's seen all day is priceless.

7) The American Nightmare. The first and last thing this movie proves definitively is that believing in any kind of "American Dream" is for suckers. Did this idiot couple ever consider that you just never know what people are like behind closed doors unless someone tells you? No. And that's what makes it impossible not to at least have a devilish grin throughout this scene: they brought this on themselves. Bad karma, man.

As for the rest of the movie, the only thing worth mentioning is the actors. And they take it pretty damn seriously, which only serves to make you care less about the characters. Being an anthology, it's worth saying the 3rd segment is the least painful since it's the shortest. The 2 lead actors try pretty hard and are decent but, considering it features a killer walking around in what I can promise you is the exact same mask Joanna Lumley wore in the French & Saunders parody of Titanic... it has no camp value. Sad. Instead it just flirts with maybe making one of the two leads the one whodunit, which wouldn't have added up to much anyway. The first is the worst because there isn't a moment where you give a damn what's happening or what might happen. The second is still pretty bad but it hints at actually having something up interesting its' sleeve. Turns out it doesn't. Who didn't want to kill the daughter? Hands...

[​IMG]
    TV #3, around 7:45 AM -
    Cheers - Season 3, Episode 4 - "Fairy Tales Can Come True" (1984) - [​IMG]

I'm not a fan of this show at all, but I'm trying to find the episode Gunnar Hansen mentioned on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Ultimate Edition DVD. Suffice to say, this wasn't it (he mentioned Kirstie Alley was in the cast and I gather she didn't join 'til... later). Brent Hanley (Frailty, Masters of Horror: Family) is also a fan of the show and I guess he's half the reason I'm choosing to watch these episodes on Netflix. Cliff apparently is so bad at asking women out that people think he's gay, the cast wear costumes for awhile, I completely forgot what else happened. But, I didn't find myself endeared to any of the characters yet. Diane and Sam are stiff cliches, no Woody (hence no eye-candy), Carla's mean (hey, that's all the character they gave her), Norm is the most entertaining character, and Cliff's maybe a little too emotionally exposed for a simple sitcom. Does anyone remember John Ratzenberger was in Motel Hell? I'll bet you do.

[​IMG]
    TV #4, around 3:00 PM -
    Cheers - Season 4, Episode 5 - "Diane's Nightmare" (1985) - [​IMG]

Well, everyone's the same as last time only Woody's here and Norm's mean now too. No costumes but a little "spooky" story stuff (storm, lights out, candles in the dark, and suggestion of a prank). It's more of a "will they- won't they" between Diane and Sam, while she fears some guy who apparently tried to murder her will make another attempt. It's less sappy, until they get to the cliched "way to woo a woman" bit, then it's just dumb. I can see why I never cared for this show.

I hated that scene. Except for the gore. It was remarkably hateful and didn't feel like storytelling.

I didn't mention all the Evil Dead-ery? 'Cause I was sure thinking the same thing. The actor even practically looked like Ash with his torn shirt, neat short dark hair, good looks, (brown pants? blue shirt?) and chainsaw.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Actually I almost never agree with DVD-fanatic-9, but for some odd reason I enjoy his October viewing posts. Maybe it's because he's one of the few that writes up on a movie instead of just posting a list of titles. Even if I don't agree with him most of the time, it's still fun reading up on said film.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.