The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

^^Just listing titles seems pointless.

I'm thankful for the reminder to stay away from THE BEAST WITHIN and I plan on checking out THE GUARDIAN.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  2. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I have to admit that I am off to a poor start, but I will be getting my act together shortly here. So far since Sunday:
    1. Fright Night Part 2
    - I had only seen this one in years on the awful looking dvd, so I dvr'd it in HD a while back and saved it for the opening of my festivities this year. Not a flick that holds up all that well, I'm afraid. The villains are made too laughable to be menacing (the bowling scene is absolutely ridiculous), and the chemistry just doesn't quite click as well for Ragsdale and Roddy. Not a terrible movie, but after the brilliant first one a true disappointment.......5/10.
    2. MOH: Pick Me Up
    - Another one that didn't hold up very well for me at all. I remember liking this one quite a bit, but the acting by Michael Moriarty and the other psycho didn't work at all for me this time. The story is passable, but I felt I had definitely wasted a slot with this one.....4/10.
    I also watched one of the episodes from my Ghost Hunters Season 5, Part 2 disc, but I would feel like I was cheating if I filled a slot with that (at least until I finish a whole disc, then I could feel comfortable about sticking it in). It was entertaining as always, but that show hasn't been quite the same for me ever since they got rid of good old Brian.
    Many more to come! I'm about to crank up Children of the Corn 3 and might go on a little jag with those if the mood strikes me. I also have Part2, 4, 5, and the latest "Genesis" one ready to go. I never liked parts 6 and 7. Many more to come! Keep giving your reviews whenever possible, guys...I love reading other true fans' opinions of what you're watching!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Hey, thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. But all this "I don't agree with him most of the time" bullshit is annoying. You'll note I have never brought my problems with other members into these October viewing threads. I expect the same from everyone else. Let's just enjoy the season and watch stuff. Alright?

[​IMG]
    Movie #13, around 4:45 PM -
    Dolly Dearest (1992 / directed by Maria Lease) - [​IMG]

Surprisingly more complex than you'd expect from a killer doll flick. At least where the daughter character is concerned. There's a minor con for every pro. The title seems to recognize the camp inherent in both evil doll movies and mother-vs-daughter plotlines and makes little use of it. Mostly in the scene pic'd above where the daughter sidebars with evil Dolly after starting a fight then turns on the Perfect Little Angel routine. There's less Child's Play here and more Exorcist and Omen instead, with a little... Manhattan Baby for good measure? The acting is decent from most- the mother is a little wooden and the bookworm son is an even weaker link. But the murders are more detailed than your typical hammer to the head or throat slitting, which actually shows a better playful side to the evil dolls: they like to plot ahead. The ending falls apart entirely, with the daughter's on-off possession dropped before we can figure out how it worked exactly (at one point when Dolly goes full Linda Blair, the girl is completely lifeless like an actual doll). Rip Torn is completely wasted (no drinking, no swearing, no bug-eye). Not as good as I've heard from some. Not really bad either.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

really? it seemed fairly cliche to me. bad guy(s) show up and try to mug/assault villain, only to realize too late that they screwed with the wrong person and live (or not) to regret it. it feels like we've seen that scene in so many movies. the opening scene of The Terminator, for instance. to me that part of the scene was completely overshadowed by the awesome retribution she wreaks on them, which was probably my favorite part of the movie. for that scene to work, it seems appropriate to set the guys up as scumbags. i think it's also worth noting that although she appears naked quite a bit in the film, she doesn't in that scene. for that reason especially, along with the relative brevity of the attack on her, as well as the huge (and kind of empowering) amount of whup-ass she opens up on them, i find it hard to see that scene as misogynistic.

the beast within was one of those pictures i remember seeing in the big clamshell boxes as a kid, with the monochromatic cover. it looked awesome. then i saw it in university and dvd-fanatic is right - it sucked. i recommend checking out the guardian, though. its a decent flick, for what it is. like i said before, a very shallow film experience, but entertaining and well-made. modest expectations are key to enjoying this film.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 3:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Savage (2009) - It starts off decently enough and the actual Sasquatch is pretty well done, but they just get lazy with the story and a lack of gore.

Shark Attack 2 (2001) - I enjoyed the hell outta this one. I love shark movies anyway, but this was a lot of fun! They used a lot of what I assume was stock footage of great whites but cut it together well enough that it felt like the actors were in the water with the actual sharks...as long as you didn't think about it too much. Some great attack scenes, some fake-ass looking plastic sharks, and some likable but doofy characters made this a fun ride.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    Night of the Living Dead (1968) :troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Won't say much about this classic, but I'm always impressed by Barbra's run from the car wreck to the house. There's some great hand held camera work there, editing and awareness of axis. Great way to start off the film.

Elvira's opening episode was a real hoot and I loved the general concept for the pilot. There's some of the same jokes of course but overall it warmed my heart to see her back in action and looking as buxom as ever.

I just realized you watched Pit a day before me. All I can say is that I posted my list weeks ago and I had it scheduled on there for that day, so YOU copied ME! :joshua: I didn't even recognize Towles, I had to think really hard before I realized who he play. It reminded me a lot of Conqueror Worm too, as Henriksen is playing it very much like Vincent Price did in that film. Infact I specifically used "wound tight" in my review as that's how Price was described. Also Oliver Reed's cameo reminded me of The Devils. While I think Price was better in Conqueror Worm than Henriksen, I liked Pit and the Pendulum better overall and enjoyed it very much. I know I'm in the minority on that but I'm a sucker for Full Moon. Neither is as good as The Devils however.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

[​IMG]

Entrails of a Virgin (1986) - Wow, this is an awful movie. There is more unnecessary groping going on than anything. Some alright gore, but nothing worth sitting through. Skip it! Those wacky Asians.

And I'm not sure where all The Beast Within negativity is coming from. I liked it. I used to crack up at this movie guide's plot summary of the movie - "A woman is raped by a hairy-legged creature." :lol:

8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of Horriblu Halloween

October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    1. My Soul to Take
    2. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    The Film- 6.5/10​
    PQ- 9/10​
    AQ- 8.5/10​

The Haunting in Connecticut tries very hard to evoke better films such a Poltergeist, as seen in its chair stacking shenanigans, The Amityville Horror, with its fleeting glimpses of the supernatural in the early half of the film, and even Fulci's City of the Living Dead & House by the Cemetery, with its heavily breathing charred ghouls and notion of a basement dwelling necromancer respectively. It even tries to bring something interesting to the table with the notion that the protagonist can sense activity in the house much earlier than its other occupants thanks to his own unfortunate proximity to death. And early on, it succeeds. However, the second half of the film falls prey to that which claims so many modern horror films- the apparent necessity to show the audience everything. This leaving nothing to the imagination truly ruins a spooky haunted house film as what we can barely make out lurking in that dark corner is far more frightening then anything they can throw up on the screen. Try this- watch this film and try to identify the exact moment where it "jumps the shark." I think you will agree that it is the same moment that provides the film with its evocative poster art.

9. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

October 3

Kicked it off with Frankenstein (1931) for a couple laughs and familiarity. (On TCM, thanks to the frontpage thread.)

I followed it up with a first-time viewing of Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2011), which I imagined to be destined for cultdom. Except for the oppressive attempts at deadpan one-liners, it was a fun and weird movie. It wasn't great, but I like the idea of it expanding the Dylan Dog world, along with Dark Horse's recent comic reprints, and Dellamorte Dellamorte. Routh reminds me a lot of Zach Galligan, whom I like for no real reason other than he's likable. I hope he continues to get roles like this.

(I watched it on standard DVD, but my gf is letting me borrow her blu-ray player for October, ha ha, so I spent much of the movie imagining I could detect an "upgrade".).

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 3rd
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5) R-Point: a surprisingly delightful war related supernatural film from South Korea. Sure it does take a while for the ghost element to really show it's face, but the build makes it worth while. (7/10)

6) Kaidan: I wanted to like this movie a lot more than I did, but it moved at such a slow place I found myself getting antsy towards the last half hour. This film does feature some great directing and acting, and the Samurai era period pieces are gorgeous, especially the forest sequences. OK at best, but nothing we haven't seen before from supernatural revenge films from Japan.(6/10)

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Love reading everybody's posts, it's great to see the various things people are watching. And sometimes inspires me to add something new to my October line up.

October 2nd-
    The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)
    The Gorgon (1964)
    Scream of Fear (1961)

Rounded out the evening with three more Hammer flicks.

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is a cool take on Jekyll and Hyde. With Hyde being handsome and flamboyant. Not the usual "ugly" monster. Chris Lee turns up in a good supporting role.

I just love The Gorgon. It's loaded with great atmosphere, awesome sets and a great monster. Plus it's got Lee, Cushing and the 2nd Dr. Who in it.

Scream of Fear is great little Hammer B&W thriller. There's some stunning shots in the film and a couple effectively creepy scenes.

October 3rd-
    Nightmare (1964)
    Girly (1970)

A couple from Freddie Francis. Nightmare is a on Hammer's Hitchcock inspired thrillers and a damn good one at that. Girly isn't one of my favorite British Horror films to watch, but there's something about it brings me back to it every so often.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  12. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

October 3rd:

Beyond Dream's Door (1989)

13. cjg

cjg Active Member

Haunted

14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Oct 3rd

[​IMG]

15. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

So I decided that this year I'd try to stick primarily to some of my fav horror fliks from the golden age of make-up effects, the early 80's to the mid 90's (with a few older and modern favs thrown in for good measure). I figure it'll be nice to simply sit down with some old favorites this year. In any case, I got a chance to sit down with 5 favorites over the weekend :

[​IMG]
    1. "Night of the Demons" - One of my favorite 80's "Halloween Party" movies. Fun make-up ef-x and a great tongue-in-cheek tone. Been a favorite since I was a kid, and it gets better each time I watch it.

[​IMG]
    2. "Ghoulies II" - My personal favorite of the "Ghoulies" series. There's just something about the Carnie atmosphere that just works perfectly. A great cast, so horribly entertaining puppets (The Cat's my favorite), and Tons of fun all round.

[​IMG]
    3. "Amityville 1992 : It's About Time!" Amityville gets away from the slow, haunted house format and turns into a roller coaster special ef-x extravaganza. One of my favs from the "Amityville" series. (Off topic : Can anyone give me the shortest of short answers as to why "1992" was dropped from the DVD title and film transfer?)

[​IMG]
    4. "Fright Night" - While not the best 80's vampire flik, it's certainly a memorable one. It's as much a piss-take on Vampire cliches as it is a throwback and celebration of them, and I personally really dig that vibe. Some great prosthetic ef-x near the end and a great ensemble cast (who can hate Evil Ed?) make it one to see.

[​IMG]
    5. "Return of the Living Dead 3" - Watched the unrated VHS for this one. Brian Yuzna takes the series down a more serious road with great directing and more jaw-dropping special ef-x that anyone can count. Great "Romeo and Juliet" style love story as well. It's a shame that most people tend to skip this one....

So far, so good! Got a good start this year, let's see where the month takes us!

16. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Damn good line up there!

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Terror in the Aisles (1984)

Oct 2

Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    The Haunted Palace (1963)
    The Oblong Box (1969)

Oct 3

Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Energy Eater" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker "Horror in the Heights" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Spanish Moss Murders" (1974)

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Still October 3rd:

[​IMG]
    Movie #14, around 7:15 PM -
    Bugged (199? / directed by Ronald K. Armstrong) - [​IMG]

It's very slow to start, with a kind of greatest hits redux of David Cronenberg's The Fly. But once it gets going, and plot is thrown out the window in favor of some very funny physical gags (including, in what is probably a spoofing of Tremors, one I cannot believe hasn't been used before: the monsters throwing the humans bait on a string), I had a freaking BALL with this one! The acting is terrible, but- it's Troma, comes with the territory. The characters are still fun (although, for being such a successful writer, the lead woman is a bit on the flighty side) and alternate between smart and goofy. The energy level is high, the dialogue is well-written (I thought- characters were actually given motivations and somewhat believable personality traits), and along with the gags, the movie is shot very well. You'd be surprised how many ways it finds to show the bugs hiding in the same shots as the human characters- even eavesdropping on them while they panic and come up with a plan. A really fun bad movie. I LOVED it!

Did you see Friedkin's Tales from the Crypt episode? There's no question, in my mind, this man wanted to see a woman beat up. It became a theme in his work. He went too far. Not to mention that, if we're going to judge how that moment fit into the scene? It actually diminished her threat to them and the ability for their minds to recognize that she meant it when she said "I'm warning you." To have the tree kill them after they've already beaten her, knocked her around, terrorized and cut her with the knife means they react to the tree at first coming to life with "what the hell is going on?!" so... how does she really get a power kick here? She savored their deaths, not their fear. Isn't the thrill of power for a villain to know you can make others fear you? If anything, this was about the tree's power trip and that dipshit let her get brutally assaulted, so... Not that great an evil ally. (And I haven't seen Terminator yet. It seems like a good Thanksgiving movie, so if it's on Watch Instant next month, I'll check it out along with RoboCop.)

Hammer's film, The Devils? I'm so far behind on Hammer (I've only seen 2 of their films) that it's no use trying to catch up. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. In fact, I caught Witchfinder General (I hate the alternate title passionately) because I believed it wasn't connected to Hammer (at least I hope it isn't), Amicus (again: I hope), AIP (?), etc.

As for Pit, it's been in the top 10 of my Netflix Queue for well over a year now (laziness is the only excuse). I just thought it was time and I was doing pretty good that first day (6 movies in half a day), so I tackled the ones I wanted to see the most (and these are still all first-time watches, all 14 movies thus far and half the TV shows). And here I thought I was reminding everyone what Netflix had available that they probably wanted to check out. The more ambitious and unusual films at least.

I also thought Pit was better than Witchfinder.

19. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Curse 2: The Bite DVD
    Children Of The Corn II: The Final Sacrifice DVD
    Pumpkinhead II: Bloodwings DVD
    Phantasm II DVD

20. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

First weekend of October:

The Beast Within: I've heard this flick had great FX, and I've wanted to see it for a long time. Boy was I disappointed. A teen-aged boy transforms into a bug monster because he was conceived when his mom was raped by one. The young protagonist is severely under-developed, as he isn't introduced until he's already quite "ill," so the viewer doesn't get to know him. He just seems like a creepy prick. The family relationships in the small southern town, and the creature's origin, make no sense. As for the FX, the transformation is a step down from the '80s greats (The Thing, The Howling, American Werewolf) and we don't even get to see the whole thing! When we do get to see the final critter, it looks like a retarded grown-up It's Alive baby. Flying scenes are alluded to, but there either wasn't a budget to film them or they were cut. When it comes to cicada monsters, I'll stick with Ultraman's Baltan.

Scarecrows: This is a low-budget, low-key fave from the '80s. I discovered it on video (probably via a write-up in Fango or something) and have it on VHS, but I haven't got the DVD yet. A unit of military crooks on a cargo plane with two hostages end up in a haunted farmhouse, surrounded by miles of overgrown fields, stalked by zombie scarecrows. The frequent radio banter and night vision POV are engaging. Great atmosphere and some good gore. Very creepy, very dark; all in all a great Halloween season movie pick. Recommended.

[​IMG]