The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Terror in the Aisles (1984)

Oct 2

Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    The Haunted Palace (1963)
    The Oblong Box (1969)

Oct 3

Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Energy Eater" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker "Horror in the Heights" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Spanish Moss Murders" (1974)

Oct 4

Lady Frankenstein (1971)
    The Velvet Vampire (1971)

3. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

October 4th

Watched Hammer's Phantom of The Opera. Had never seen it before tonight. While it was a top notch production it just felt lacking. The Phantom never came across very well. He wasn't much of a threat to anyone and his "love" story just felt tacked on.

I followed it up with The Robert Englund Phantom. I've always enjoyed this one. It's quite stylish and Englund makes a decent Phantom.

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

October 4

I watched Maniac (1980) for the first time tonight, and it was a doozy. Incredibly tough to watch, Maniac was a struggle for the first 45 minutes, and then it grew even stranger with the romantic interest plot. Bizarre. Also surprisingly sweaty. The BU BR was really fun. Great extras.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm not a professional reviewer by any means. The scores just represent my overall enjoyment of said movie.

1.) Soylent Green [8/10]

Synopsis: Everyone knows this movie, right?

2.) Bloody Birthday [5.5/10]

Synopsis: A group of kids go around and kill people. I wanted to reach through the screen and punch them in their faces.

3.) I Drink Your Blood [8/10]

Synopsis: A group of goofballs stop in a small town after their truck breaks down. They're fed some special meat pies and the fun begins.

4.) The Dead Next Door [6.5/10]

Synopsis: A silly, but watchable, zombie movie that takes place in Akron, OH. A good beer flick. Can you spot Bruce Campbell?

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/04 (Movies: 6)

[​IMG]

Zombieland (2009) BD

Only seen once when I bought the Blu-ray last year so it was time for a re-visit. Very entertaining and fun zombie comedy. Perfect for October/Halloween viewing. 5/5

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 4th

[​IMG]
    Movie #15, around 3:30 AM -
    The Horror Show (1989 / directed by James Isaac, David Blyth) - [​IMG]

I guess with a title like The Horror Show, the point is to rip-off as many movies as you can (Craven's Shocker and the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, Cronenberg's Scanners and Videodrome, Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, Poltergeist, and... Cape Fear?). Where did this one go wrong? I mean, Shocker sucked hard. In fact, this film is marginally superior. You've got Lance Henriksen who proves he can't carry the protagonist role in a feature film (I don't think he did any better in Pumpkinhead) and Brion James- who at least proves he has more restraint than Mitch Pileggi. They both have the same problem, that they can't break out of TV Crime Villain Who's Just Learned How to Swear cliche. Well, James does it once in a very good moment where he dons an interesting disguise. The wife is a bit of a bore but the son and daughter are easily better supporting characters than anyone in Shocker (and thankfully they don't waste our time with any sibling bickering crap, etc). The *perfect loving family* stuff (awww..., don't you just want to pinch their cheeks?) is unbearable, especially at the beginning and end. But again to stick the final fork in Shocker, even though there's no one to like here- there's no one to hate here either. As a matter of fact, the worst part about it, other than the cop cliches (although, I did appreciate the moment where the IA guy tries to humanize / explain himself), are the living-nightmare sequences and unimpressive special effects. Hell, Henriksen's frequent shirtless scenes alone are enough to ease some of the pain/anger/bitterness left over from Shocker.

WAIT! : scratch that part about "no one to hate." Since the site crashed or something yesterday, I'd actually somehow forgotten about the Professor Dork character. Everything about this character is bad. I was thinking during the scene where he tried to warn Henriksen in the parking lot of James's return after death via electricity* - this guy's a professor? He sure as hell didn't take psychology because any idiot off the street knows that you actually have to try CONVINCING someone that they're being stalked by an undead killer! You don't just say, after they rightly look at you like you're a crackpot, "well... he'll go after your whole family!" What did he expect? Man, this movie might actually have been better if the Professor had been the killer in a copycat / James-Was-His-Idol situaiton. At least then he might have had an excuse to be so pathetic / moronic. Oh, and... if James was reborn through electricity somehow... shouldn't his body exist IN electric form? Nope. First slasher scene in the movie, he just jumps out in full-body like he was never fried. Could this movie get any lazier?

8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

October 4th

[​IMG]

9. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 4:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The first time I watched Tourist Trap (1979) I found it to be boring and could barely finish it. Then I gave it another chance and fell in love with it. Now it's on permanent rotation for my October viewing schedule.

Just Before Dawn (1981) - I'm still not sold on the mountain girl being in this movie but the final kill is awesome and this flick is one I watch at least once a year.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

10/1

1. Psycho--Totally familiar and still extremely enjoyable. Hitchcock's witty direction, Anthony Perkins's wonderfully twitchy performance, and some Argento-worthy setpieces make this one for the ages. Sense of foreboding as Vera Miles approaches the Bates house at the climax is still palpable. Tremendous.

2. Candyman--My favorite post-1990 horror film. Acting, script, score, cinematography, and direction are all top-notch. Focus on mature themes and adult characters makes it stand out from the pack. Bring on the blu-ray.

10/3

3. Frankenstein (1931)--Vastly superior to Browning's Dracula and more enjoyable for me than the overly comedic follow-up. Marred only by Frederick Kerr's buffoonish take on Baron Frankenstein. Tough to find new superlatives for Karloff and Jack Pierce. But their collaboration is still unmatched in my mind.

10/4

4. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari--Scarier than Murnau's Nosferatu. Startingly weird sets, florid over-acting, and archetypal villains combine to project a truly nightmarish vibe. Tough to decide on a definitive DVD version. Kino version has mostly superior picture quality. But Timothy Brock string score on the Image DVD is far superior to the Kino scores. Difference in music quality is so striking that I prefer the Image version.

5. 2000 Maniacs--A campy delight. Amateur night performances do nothing to detract from the fun. Inventive deaths and some decent gore scenes for the era. Extra funny for "damn yankees" living in the south. I expect this to happen to me every time I go to the grocery store. 47 years down the line anti-northern sentiment is still very real south of the Mason-Dixon line. Hampered somewhat by terrible audio recording.

6. Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979 German version)--Probably the most worthwhile remake in the history of the genre. Extremely faithful to Murnau's original but thematically more complex. Herzog's deliberate pacing may be a challenge for viewers expecting a more traditional vampire opus. But patience is rewarded with many remarkable images and otherworldly atmosphere. Kinski is a revelation. Though reportedly as manic as ever behind the scenes, his Dracula is a model of restraint. His deliberate, controlled movements suggest passivity. But the piercing intensity of his gaze is extremely unnerving--especially during his scenes with Harker at Castle Dracula. He suggests malevolence without the usual affectations associated with vampire roles. Atmospheric score also subverts genre expectations--very effectively. Music gives tremendous resonance to some extended wordless sequences--especially Harker's on foot approach to the Borgo pass. Startling opening credits sequence features eerie footage of real Mexican mummies.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched it for the first time this year as well and"tough to watch" is the first thing I think of when it comes to Maniac. It's refreshing to hear something other than gushing praise for the film. I respect it, but certainly didn't enjoy it (not saying its bad). Its a must-see for any horror fan, but I doubt I ever watch it again.

12. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of Horriblu Halloween

October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    1. My Soul to Take
    2. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    October 4, 2011:
    5. Bereavement
    The Film- 3.5/10​
    PQ- 6.5/10​
    AQ- 7/10​

Bereavement is another film that takes cues from far better films, namely Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Frailty this time. I must say that I have not seen Malevolence and I might have felt differently if I had. This is a film that spends much of its runtime attempting to develope its characters, yet completely fails to do so. By the end, I still don't care a thing about any of the main characters and the development of Martin Bristol establishes him as nothing more than a mute analgesic. "Boy abducted, forced to witness murder, become serial killer..." There really is no emotional progression visible in Martin. I'm sure there are fans of this film out there and I do understand how you could appreciate it if it resonates with you as it is slickly produced, but to me it is rubbish.

13. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

October 4th

04. Thriller: Papa Benjamin (1961)

October 5th

05. Thriller: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (1961)

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Oct.3.
    The Hearse
    Oct.4.
    The Howling

15. cjg

cjg Active Member

Oct 4th
    Nightmare On Elm Street 2010

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Agreed 100%. I am glad I watched it, but I won't revisit.

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 4th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7) Inferno

8) Don't Torture A Duckling: One of Fulci's best and most disturbing films. The story a great "Who-done-it" style crime thriller a descent amount of gore and one hell of a brutal death for the films killer. The movie does drag a bit towards the middle, but the last 30 or 40 minutes is where it's at! Oh, I also loved the use of the Italian landscape. (7.5/10)

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 1st
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Dark Bridges Film Festival: Stake Land (2010) Rating: 2.5/5 | The Millennium Bug (2011) w/ director Ken Cran in attendance Rating: 3.5/5 | Rabies (2010) Rating: 4/5

Oct. 2nd
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Dark Bridges Film Festival: The Corridor (2010) w/ actor Matthew Amyotte in attendance Rating: 4/5 | Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) Rating: 4/5

Oct. 3rd
    [​IMG]
    Attack the Block (2011) Rating: 4.5/5

Oct. 4th
    [​IMG]
    Slashed Dreams (aka Sunburst) (1975) Rating: 0.5/5

19. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I'd personally like a more detailed review of Slashed Dreams. I've never heard of it, but jeez, that cover is intriguing.

20. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing