The Annual October Horror Movie Watching Thread!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by maskull, Sep 26, 2011.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Avoid it. At all costs. Most deceiving cover art and back cover description in the history of horror VHS. It's barely a horror film. Originally titled Sunburst, it was re-titled and marketed as Slashed Dreams after A Nightmare on Elm Street was released because Robert Englund is in it.

Here's the Oh-The-Horror review: http://www.oh-the-horror.com/page.php?id=294

2. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Night Of The Sorcerers DVD
    Vengeance Of The Zombies DVD
    The Dracula Saga DVD

3. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

This is what I've watched so far, in October:

Pandorum (2009) - 5.9/10
    Doom (2005) - 4.8/10
    Acolytes (2008) - 3.7/10
    A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) - 5.0/10
    Scream 4 (2011) - 6.1/10
    Rituals (1977) - 4.3/10
    Wrong Turn (2003) - 6.3/10
    Wolf Creek (2005) - 6.9/10

Wrong Turn and Wolf Creek were both movies I've seen before, but they still hold up better than anything else I've seen in the last few days.

4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

How in the world do you rate things down to a decimal like that? What makes one film "6.1" over another with "6.3"? Legitimately curious.

5. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 05:

[​IMG][​IMG]

A good night of over-the-top silliness and hammy performances.

Doctor Death (1973) is the better made of the two movies with an awesome villain and some excellent lines. Definitely a movie more people should check out.

Flesh Eating Mothers (1988) features really bad acting, fx and script but has it's charms and some truly funny moments...and a few that would be disturbing if they were in a better made film.

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

October 5th
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9) Scream

10) Scream 4: I had a lot of anxiety about seeing this film since the original is one of my favorites of all time. And I have to say Scream 4 is a ton of fun! The opening sequence is hilarious, the kills are the goriest and most brutal in the franchise, and the ending sequence is a giant middle finger to Hollywood remakes. (7.5/10)

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]
    The Terror (1963) :troll::troll::joshua::joshua::joshua:

Its plot twist will make your head explode. Seriously. Whatever you may think it is, you're way off. Karloff, the constant professional, gave a great performance. Nicholson on the other hand was wooded and gave quite probably his worst performance. Corman laid on the Gothic atmosphere real thick but no amount of spooky layers could save this.

Elvira's really hard on this one, while going rather soft on the following Brain That Wouldn't Die. I never really noticed Karloff's lisp until Elvira poked fun at it, and it even took me a moment to realize that's what she was doing when she did. By the numbers effort.

[​IMG]
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962) :troll::joshua::joshua::joshua::joshua:

Fills too much time with endless TV soap opera drama (1958 style), along with a moral saying that organ transplants are the devil's work and just let people die. Some of the sleaze is laid on pretty thick though and it's unfortunate that the nudie footage is reportedly lost.

Elvira spends the episode boning up on game shows, with lackluster results to be sure. Made a good gag comparing her fans to dope addicts though. Had to admit she got me there.

Her new theme song's really stuck in my head now.

Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) staring Oliver Reed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

SaxCatz's

31 Days of Horriblu Halloween

October 1, 2011:
    1. Torso
    2. The Others
    October 2, 2011:
    1. My Soul to Take
    2. Case 39
    October 3, 2011:
    5. The Haunting in Connecticut
    October 4, 2011:
    5. Bereavement
    October 5, 2011:
    5. The Amityville Horror (2005)
    The Film- 7/10​
    PQ- 9/10​
    AQ- 8.5/10​

Going into this film again, and for the first time on Blu-ray, I suspected that I would rate it "8.5/10." However, I just did not enjoy it this much on this viewing. I still think this is superior film to the original in many ways, but a few of the films missteps seemed particulary bothersome this time. Gone is the eerie introduction bolstered by a children's choir and in its place is a spastically edited "clip show" that could be the poster-child for what is wrong with modern horror. Ryan Reynolds performance is subtle and his growing anger is presented convincing though the jump from tired, sick and angry to homicidal isn't convincing. However, the film is slickly produced and well shot. This is especially evident in the rooftop "chase." And there are several excellently timed jump scares and a properly ominous atmosphere. In the end, its just as hard to identify what works so well in this movie as it is to identify what doesn't work. A bit of an enigma, really; but almost certainly the best of the Platinum Dunes remakes.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I didn't want to just throw up a list, so it took em a little longer then I thought to get my first post in here going. So without further ado...

SPAWNINGBLUE'S 2011 OCTOBER HORROR MOVIE WATCHING

Bold = first time viewing. Rating out of 10.

October
    Terror in the Aisles (1984) 6/10
    Black Demons (1991) 5.5/10
    Leprechaun 2 (1994) 6/10
    Halloween...The Happy Haunting of America (1997) 7/10
    Halloween...The Happy Haunting of America 10th Anniversary Edition (2007) 6/10
    The Troll Hunter (2010) 8/10
    House of the Damned (1963) 6.5/10
    The Other (1972) 6.5/10
    Stake Land (2010) 8.5/10
    Torso (1973) 7.5/10
    Superstition (1982) 7.5/10
    Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) 6.5/10
    Halloween 2 (2009) 5.5/10

Movie Total = 11
    TV Episode/ Documentary Total = 2

Terror in the Aisles (1984) -This was an okay clips show movie, although some of the crime films shown, although violent, didn't really fit with the overall tone of the film. I already knew most of the films shown as well, so other then a few crime flicks which peaked my interests, there weren't too many surprises or films afterward that I was dying to check out.

Black Demons (1991) - I don't know if I would call this film racist, but... It's about a group of black slave zombies that return for revenge, needing to kill and I quote "6 white people", that's right, black murders will not count towards their quota. If eye gouging is your thing you may enjoy a few of the kills, but overall it was a little slow for my tastes with not much of a pay off.

Leprechaun 2 (1994) - I didn't love the fist Leprechaun movie but at the same time I didn't feel that I wasted an hour an half watching it either. This one is more of the same. Terrible acting help move along the awful story that is made up for with its' quirky moments and creative kills. And honestly, who doesn't enjoy a drunken Leprechaun tryign to attack someone with a levitating ashtray? I was also surprised by the tone of this film. At times you are embarrassed to be watching this kiddy nonsense, then there will be a crazy gore filled kill that reminds you are watching an R rated horror film. The highlight in this one being a snarly waitress' face blistering and boiling off from the hot steam spewing out from his coffee maker.

Halloween...The Happy Haunting of America (1997) - This is a fun little doc. on the best haunted house tours throughout America. Not only is it entertaining seeing all the wax statues and sculptures based on all your favourtie horror icons, but in between the houses are little segments where they interview horror related icons such as Robert Englund, Alice Cooper, Doug Bradley, Angus Scrimm, Tom Savini, ect. who talk about various Halloween related topics covering such things as the history of the ghoulish holiday, their childhood memories, and how they celebrate now. It's all a lot of fun, and makes me long to go check out out some of the horror destinations covered. My only gripe is that I wish they actually took you through the tours with the camera, aka. a first person view, instead of just using a lot of quick cuts and close ups of some of the sculptures . I guess that would have increased the running time to over an hour, but personally I would have been fine with that. At the least, they could have included that in the bonus features as it would have been a great to have in the background at a Halloween party.

Halloween...The Happy Haunting of America 10th Anniversary Edition (2007) - After the success of the first doc., the makers decided to return and do another special ten years later on the some of the current haunted house tours out there. This one wasn't as good for numerous reasons, the main two being that; the tours weren't as interesting, this time being more dedicated to people in generic masks and costumes instead of cool sculptures based on famed movie characters, and the celebrity interviews in between are now missing. The footage is shot a little better this time around though, and gives you more a sense of actually walking through the tours, but since they weren't as interesting, it just makes you wish they went back and re-shot the old tours properly.

The Troll Hunter (2010) - This movie was a lot of fun! I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, and how intelligently and creatively it was all put together. Melding all the myths, rules, and creature types as if they were fact. The special effects were also decent for their low budget, and never felt obtrusive or took you out of the disbelief that they have set up as factual accounts. The only fault I found is that it did lose a bit of steam by the end and could have probably been edited a little tighter. That being said, I was constantly looking forward to see what troll type they would be hunting for next. Even if you don't enjoy found footage films, I heartily recommend that you give this one a shot!

House of the Damned (1963) - This has got to be the shortest movie I have ever seen. I am sure there are shorter flicks out there, but at a brisk 62 min., it was the shortest I've ever watched. That's not a bad thing though if they do a good job at fitting in the story they need to tell in the allotted time. These days movie makers tend to pad everything out with unneeded history and bad character development that it was nice to see a change. Unfortunately in this movies case I think an extra 20 min. could have added a lot as this film just felt too rushed at times. Overall though it was a decent haunted house flick, and a great way to waste an hour. I don't want to give too much of the plot away since haunted house movies usually dwell on the surprises, but I will add that everything isn't all it seems to be in this house of tricks.

The Other (1972) - This didn't really feel like a horror film, and until the end I was questioning whether it was one. For much of the film it felt like a classic novel adaptation, something you would be forced to watch in school. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though as it is all very well done, from the Directing and writing to the acting including the main child actor. The story revolves around a family that seems to be cursed due to all the accidents that continue to happen all around them. A young child believes his twin brother is responsible for all the mishaps, except or one thing, his brother died years ago. I was surprised at how dark this film went and like I said, the ending has a great payoff!

Stake Land (2010) - Wow, this movie blew me away! I don't know if another horror film this month will be able to surpass this one, or for the rest of the year to be honest. Amazing, though very bleak and depressing post apocalyptic vampire film. I have seen many comparing this film to the ultra bleak and depressing film The Road, and I would say that is a fair comparison, just add some vampires to the mix. This film was very well done in its realistic portrayal of what it would probably be like if there was a vampire outbreak, and what struggles there would be for survival. The acting was superb by all involved, the vampires were ferocious and thankfully after the Twilight films frightening again, the action scenes, gore, direction, were also all very well done. I recommend this movie to everyone, just make sure you are in the right mood, as its hopelessness will definitely bring you down a few notches.

Torso (1973) - This started out as your standard giallo/ slasher with egregious amounts of nudity. Halfway through though it went from average to outstanding thanks to the Directors' tension filled last act as the survivor girl watches alone in a mansion as the murderer disembowels her friends bodies for disposal. The scene is expertly Directed and edited, piling on the intensity with each frame as the girl tries to calculate a way of escape without being detected by the killer. The music or lack of, also adds a lot to the ambiance of the scene as each sound could be the giveaway. This suspense continues until the exciting climax, which unexpectedly ends in an action packed stand off complete with a jump kick through some furniture that would make Bruce Lee proud.

Superstition (1982) - This is a hard film to classify, as it is equals parts slasher, haunted house and witchery. I'm disappointed with myself for owning this film for years but only now getting around to watching it. It probably had to do with the fact that the cover makes it look like a religious horror movie which you have to be in the right mood to watch. I was surprised when I started it then to see that it is more an 80s slasher flick then anything, although I guess witches and religion do play an important part to the plot as well. The story is your run of the mill witch swearing revenge on those who killed her years before. It was all pretty generic, but made up for it with its' creative gore soaked deaths. Like its genre, the tone was also all over the place, at times feeling like a fun slasher and then becoming very very dark.
    I was surprised to see every member including the children of the main family of the story die horrible deaths, as well as the main character at the end. This was a film where the evil truly won!
    . Overall though I really enjoyed it and will probably add it to my October staples.

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010) - I really enjoyed the first movie when I watched it alone in the dark one night. It went up on the list as one of he few movies to truly creep me out. This sequel/ prequel didn't start out so strong. The first half was just bad and not the least bit scary. I wondered if the fear that came with series had been impacted by its own success? Thankfully this movie picked itself up halfway though and started to frighten me once again. That being said, the movie as a whole isn't great by any means, and the ending was just awful. I thought we were dealing with ghosts not the terminator?

Halloween 2 (2009) - Rob Zombie has got to be the most hotly debated Director in the horror genre right now. He has a lot of devoted fans that will defend whatever he puts out no matter how awful it is. At the same time he has a lot of haters that will insult him and his work every opportunity they get, whether there is reasoning behind it or not. I would say I fit somewhere in the middle. I have become a huge fan of House of 1000 Corpses over the years, and The Devil's Rejects I have always really enjoyed. Halloween on the other hand seems to get worse and worse with each viewing. What started as an okay remake that sat somewhere in the middle of the series for me, has skyrocketed down near the bottom. Because of this I was in no rush to see this sequel, and the negative publicity before its release didn't help much either. I will say this, as much as I hate other aspects of Zombie's films which I will get into shortly, I will say the man knows how to stage an intense and frightening murder scene. The opening to this film set in a hospital had me on the edge of my seat, allowing me to look past and forget all the other faults I had with the last film. I was hopeful with this starting out on such a positive note and knowing that the origin story and his white trash family had been all played out. Unfortunately when the opening ends you realize that the trashy aspects are in full force as Laurie Strode has become everything her family was in the last film, if not worse. Zombie really needs to stop creating every character to look and act like him and his friends, and needs to just stop writing in general. His dialog and characters were the worst part of the last film and this film is no different. Laurie is annoying with her constant "f this" and "f that" dialog. Zombie's profanity driven diatribe is not as witty and creative as he thinks it is. It just shows what a bad and unimaginative writer he is. And really, what is up with the Charles Manson poster over her bed, and the graffiti spray painted all over the walls? Do people actually live like this? Well yes, I'm sure they do, but why does Laurie have to? For that matter why does every character in a Zombie film have to? Why can't people shower in his films? Does soap and shampoo not exist in this 70s/ modern day alternate universe he has created? And another thing that Zombie needs to quit doing is putting his damn wife in every movie. She died in the last film, why is she the hell is she here? And why would he think it's a good idea to have Michael walking around the town in broad daylight without his mask on looking like a hillbilly hobo? Why is Loomis such a dick? Why? Why? That's the problem with this film, there are so many bad decisions and head shaking questions throughout that it's almost impossible to find any enjoyment in it. Like I said, some of the kill scenes are well Directed, but that's about the only reason this film is worth your time. And at two hours, I don't know if it's really the best way to spend your precious time. I will fully admit that I think Zombie is a talented man, it's just unfortunate that he thinks he is a talented writer. I would love to see him Direct a film he didn't write or cast and see what he could do with it.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Oct. 5th

[​IMG]
    Red State (2011) Rating: 3.5/5

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Oh? Wait 'til you hear what I have to say about it.

I'm actually thinking of re-watching it in a couple days. And, to be delicate, I did not think highly of it the first time.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Oct 1

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II (1981)
    Terror in the Aisles (1984)

Oct 2

Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    The Haunted Palace (1963)
    The Oblong Box (1969)

Oct 3

Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Energy Eater" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker "Horror in the Heights" (1974)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker "The Spanish Moss Murders" (1974)

Oct 4

Lady Frankenstein (1971)
    The Velvet Vampire (1971)

Oct 5

The Invisible Man (1933)
    Frankenstein (1931)

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

10/05 (Movies: 7)

[​IMG]

Lost Highway (1997) BD

Twisted, creepy and may I say scary? This is pretty much a horror movie in my book even though it takes turns into film noir, drama, love story, crime and what not.
    The German Blu-ray presents the movie with solid quality and fine detail, very good HD audio in my opinion as well. 5/5

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

October 6th

[​IMG]
    Movie #16, around 1:30 AM -
    The Resurrected (1992 / directed by Dan O'Bannon) - [​IMG]

Extremely boring! Chris Sarandon is the clear Jeffrey Combs replacement here and you'll feel the lack of Combs' presence. It's way too long, the "mystery" and "experiment" are given to us in great depth and the characters are made to look fascinated by it. Too bad they're all boring. And I couldn't care less about the details of this mystery, their lives, etc. The acting's okay but the story and characters are too damn boring. The dialogue tries to coast along with cleverness but none of it srikes anything. The movie has no visual flair (just a LOT of rain and dreary grey skies), the score is a snooze, I didn't budge an inch when the monsters were onscreen, and for the hell of it- the movie throws in some condescendingly pointless socio-political commentary where it clearly doesn't belong. It livened up slightly before the "big" climax where they indulged in some almost stiflingly potent claustrophobia. Maybe, if it had just given us what we needed instead of padding itself to make it feel like a sweeping dark epic (which it has no hope of being), it could have been salvageable.

15. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

[​IMG][​IMG]

Indestructible Man
    The Amazing Transparent Man
    The Bat
    House On Haunted Hill

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

** denotes first time viewing

10/01 - Halloween (1978) 8/10
    10/01 - Halloween II (1981) 6/10
    10/02 - Terror in the Aisles (1984) 8/10 **
    10/03 - The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983) 7/10 **
    10/04 - Massacre at Central High (1976) 7/10 **
    10/05 - Demented (1980) 4/10 **

[​IMG]

The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983) 7/10 **

Waldemar Daninsky flees to Japan in search of the man that can cure his silver allergy. This is the 4th Paul Naschy film I've seen and I have no doubt it will stand as my favorite by the time I've exhausted his filmography. Seeing Naschy's Wolfman tear through dozens in a Japanese brothel and slaughter squads of samurai in the forest is a real treat. There are some nice sleazy moments like the topless ninja that takes a shuriken to the boob, as well. The "must see" scene is a showdown between the Wolfman and a Bengal Tiger. It's jaw-dropping how aggressively those two go at it. That stuntman was f&@%ing nuts. At times the plot does slow down but I enjoyed seeing Mac Daddy Daninsky weave his spell on another damsel.

[​IMG]

Massacre at Central High (1976) 7/10 **

The new kid at Central High kills off the bullies that have been ruling over the student body with an iron fist. The first thing that stands out is that the acting and thought-provoking script offer far more than the standard revenge flick. Then the third act brings a compelling twist and completely changes the tone. This shift could have been a negative but the batshit craziness that ensues is very entertaining. This film may not cut it for gore-hounds but will certainly please fans of sleaze. I went in expecting a paint-by-numbers slasher and I ended watching one of the best Exploitation films I've seen this year.

[​IMG]

Demented (1980) 4/10 **

Demented starts of with a very graphic rape without any setup. The next 60 minutes is a boring Lifetime TV storyline with the look and feel of 70's porn filler(without the sex and nudity). The last 30 minutes it finally gets to the revenge part and it is well worth the wait. Once the lead, Salle Young, goes over the deep end she is just delightful. I enjoyed watching her go through her tormenters all the while speaking with a soft-spoken, nurturing voice. Demented never received a DVD release but can be found on Netflix Streaming until Oct 15th.

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This scene is even crazier than you think. That's not a stuntman. It's Naschy! He covered this production and scene in detail in his autobiography.

"Then came the day of the fight between Wolfman and tiger. After numerous inquiries circus lion tamers and animal trainers told me that the fight could be filmed with the realism I wanted using panthers, leopards, or lions but with a tiger it would be impossible. I was about to give in when I heard that the tigress from the TV show Sandokan was in Holland and it might be possible to use her. Her trainer arrived with three big cats in a huge cage. It was strange to see that the fierce beasts were kept under control by an intelligent dog of uncertain breed whose intervention was on occasion decisive. Before shooting the tiger has to be fed 25 chickens. If she'd been hungry the critter would have eaten me and the trainer for breakfast."

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

5.) The Driller Killer [4.5/10]

Synopsis: It says to play this movie loud. Now I know why the main guy is so pissed off. The parts with the band piss me off. And I like some loud and noisy shit. I do like the synth work and whatnot for the rest of the movie, but overall, the movie as a whole didn't do much for me.

19. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Sadly, that's often the case I guess. On the plus side I liked the review you linked.

20. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

[​IMG]

October 1st

01. Thriller: Well of Doom (1961)

October 2nd

02. Thriller: The Ordeal of Dr. Cordell (1961)

October 3rd

03. Thriller: Trio for Terror (1961)

October 4th

04. Thriller: Papa Benjamin (1961)

October 5th

05. Thriller: Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper (1961)

October 6th

06. Thriller: The Devil's Ticket (1961)