The Babadook (2014)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 1, 2014.

1. p.nibzz

p.nibzz New Member

Meeeehhhhhhhhhh it was okay. Wish the ending was the same as in the book.

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Going to BestBuy today and noticed they have the fancy packaging for $14.99 like Amazon. Think I'll give it a try.

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

After THE BABADOOKIE and IT SWALLOWS, I'm really beginning to wonder if maybe I'm worn out. I honestly don't seem to be able to connect with the most recent horror offerings. I got about 40 minutes into both and the stories just fell apart and the endings felt lazy and uninspired. But I keep hearing how great they are and can't help but wonder if it's me.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. Sometimes I think I've just watched too many movies (I'm 48) or maybe I'm judging too harshly but most films tend to fall into the just average to below average range. I try to watch films based on reviews either here, or on Amazon, or IMDB yet generally give the films a lower rating.

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I tend to like some of the newer stuff like Sinister, Conjuring, InnKeepers, Orphanage, etc. so there's probably hope I'll enjoy this. The kids in Burial Ground and House by the
    Cemetery are pretty damn annoying too, but those flicks are awesome :)

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

As mentioned in the original post, I would advise approaching it as a drama instead of a horror film.

As for the current state of the horror genre... yeah, I have to say I'm extremely burned out on all the unoriginal snoreworthy ghost movies we've been bombarded with over the past few years. I loved It Follows though, at least that one was creative, playful, and fun. I did enjoy The Babadook as well, but I was lucky enough to see it before all the hype took off.

I'm just ready for the slasher genre to make a comeback, please and thank you. It feels like it's been a while since I've seen just a fun R-rated slasher flick on the big screen (unless The Guest counts?).

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I just like older movies. More rough edges, more inspired. I do occasionally get surprised by newer films, but very few pack the punch of, say, let the right one in. Not condemning newer films, but I do find it harder to emotionally connect to them.

8. Christy

Christy Member

Boring found it a complete snooze fest.

9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Tried really hard to like this, but it just did not work at all for me. In fact on second viewing I like it a lot less.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, it fell flat for me as well. I liked it enough at the start, especially with the introduction of the book (let's face it, some stories aimed at kids are just plain weird), but it really slowed to a crawl for the middle hour of the film and by the end it just wasn't worth it.

I liked some of the ideas, like
    the book was actually being written by the mom, who's revealed to be a former childrens' book author, and it's all about her resentment over losing her husband due to giving birth to Sam
    , but I thought the same sort of ground was covered in the harrowing We Need To Talk About Kevin, easily one of the most terrifying non-horror movies ever made.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm one of those who is often sceptical of hyped recent horror (recent = anything 90's and beyond in my book). I don't have many favourite non-retro titles (exceptions include Haute Tension and the first two Cold Prey films). The Conjuring did not get under my skin as much as word of mouth had promised, and the entire second half of Sinister is badly deflated by misjudged scares. But The Babadook works for me - partly because of the subtext, partly because it succeeds in stacking the cards so well against the mother and her son, and not least because the title creature is such a creepy figure (and one that is never over-exposed). But... horror is such a subjective thing. And what we expect to take from it is subjective as well. :)

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I've decided to give it a second viewing before shipping it back to Netflix. We'll see if my opinion of it improves.

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

This one really worked for me - scary, tense, and unnerving. The Mom did a great job acting, and I think this is definitely one of the better horror films of recent years.

I don't know if it will have much replay value for me (I think not knowing how it will play out is part of why it works)*, but I'm really glad I watched it.

Even though the book tells us almost exactly what will happen - I just didn't want to believe it