The Barn (2016) - 80's Inspired Slasher Film

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

No. Simply me speculating.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have also been debating getting the DVD, but hoping that a Blu-ray would come out. It's curious that they released a ton of merchandise for the film, but no Blu-ray.

DiabolikDVD did have some of the DVD in stock last week, which have since sold out.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Saw this yesterday, as it showed up on a torrent site.

This was one hell of a fun throwback movie :)
    Except for a few things, this looked and felt like the kind of trashy fun, I rented back in the late 80:s, and at times I kinda forgot that I was watching a 2016 production.
    The creature and gore FX was great, considering the small budget, and the body count was way bigger than expected :)
    And it also featured those old school, hand animated lightning effects, that was so common in those days.
    Compared to most cheaply made throwback movies, this never slowed down or got boring. Instead it got better and better, and had one hell of a fun climax.
    When the credits rolled, I wanted more!

The only flaw, was some of the acting. Some of the leads was okey, but some reached the level of The Mutilator or Witchtrap :D
    Sadly Linnea Quigley was one of the worst, but she only had a small role in the beginning.
    She's never really been a good actor, but god damn was she terrible in this one.
    Or maybe, it was intentionally bad? ;)

They did a damn fine job with making it look like it was shot on 35mm, and covering up the digital production, without going overboard with the "grindhouse" look.
    It kinda looked like those early widescreen transfers on Laserdisc.

I'm gonna support these guys and buy the DVD.
    It has some flaws, but the good outweigh the bad.

Natas and Harry Warden like this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Nice recommendation. Yeah, Linnea Quigley was always pretty shitty. She was more eye candy for those into her, but she was never really that good, IMO.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Excellent write up, appreciate the input. Going to be checking this out stat!

Steel76 likes this.
  6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Quigly was definitely never that good of an actress but man she was passionate about the genre and I highly appreciate that.

Harry Warden and Steel76 like this.
  7. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yes sir. I have to agree. Although I didn't care for her acting skills, she has always pushed the horror genre and never put herself center stage. She always seems to be a good sport about her roles and involvement and promotion of films she was in, and for that, she definitely deserves respect. I did really like her in Night of the Demons.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I received mine today, can't wait to check it out.

[​IMG]

Workshed and Steel76 like this.
  9. CPT HOOK

I watched it last weekend and loved it. A lot of care did go into it, not just the retro feel but in creating a damn fun horror film. The hootenanny massacre was a riot. The movie is a real charmer.

I wish there was more about the making of on the DVD, but there's still some fun stuff on there, deleted scenes, promos, etc. I especially liked the retro video game trailer. There's also an intro from Quigley before the DVD menu.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. MisterTwister

Finally watched it.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I loved the old school look and feel to it and the movie had a pretty big body count with lots of gory goods. Also loved the trio of killers. My favorite thing? The original score and songs. Awesome stuff.

What didn't I like? Yeah the acting stunk big time. I come to expect this from most indie productions but still. Also the CGI stood out due to the old school feel of everything. If you're going to go the old school horror route, truly do it.

But yeah a fun time and definitely something I plan on revisiting in October.

Trick 'r Treat bitch!

maskull and fceurich39 like this.
  11. Katatonia

I finally got a chance to watch this one, after ordering the disc recently from Diabolik. I really enjoyed it being a throwback to the late 80's, and not just simply made to look "retro trendy" like some of these are. The director wrote the core story when he was just 8 years old, and it took him 20+ years to finally imagine his dream to shoot it as a film.

Really? I thought the acting was mostly solid overall for an indie film. I found all of the major roles to be above normal for a film like this... even the little girl at the beginning was great. There were maybe a couple of minor actors that weren't the greatest, but no more than any other low-budget 80's horror film actor.

The CGI used was quite minimal and I really didn't find that noticeable. At least all of the blood and gore was practical. Really the only thing...

...was the glowing fire eyes of Hallowed Jack did look a little like CGI at times, but according to the director he looked "not scary" and with girly cheeks without them. They probably would have looked woefully worse if done as opticals or hand-drawn animation flames.

This is one that I'll pull out again come late October!

Steel76 and satans-sadists like this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The Barn was a blind buy for me & I wound up watching it last month. The F/X didn't bother me, nor did some unpolished acting. I wasn't expecting some instant classic indie film. For me , The Barn was a fun little throwback style film with ample Halloween atmosphere. I imagine The Barn will have good replay value for me personally. Definitely happy with this purchase.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. MisterTwister

I thought the acting sucked and the CGI stood out among the retro feel. I'm sorry you guys feel differently but I'd like to point out I LOVE THE MOVIE.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  14. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I had a ton of fun with this one. I found that the acting fit the feel and worked due to that. A great throwback to my childhood and one that will be watched again during the holiday season!!

satans-sadists likes this.
  15. CPT HOOK

There's a single-disc DVD edition available for pre-order on Amazon. Street date is May 2nd.

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Just an FYI, though, it's apparently not the same version of the film that is available on the two-disc set. The single disc set is being advertised as an 80 minute "Theatrical Version," while the two-disc version is described as a 90 minute "Extended Cut Version." I have no idea what the differences are between the two cuts, but 10 minutes would seem to be substantial.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

That single disc is currently available to rent at Family Video stores. I seen that about the theatrical version on it so I haven't picked it up yet. Not sure I want that version to be my first viewing of the film.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

A Blu-Ray release is apparently scheduled for 10/10/2017: https://www.amazon.com/The-Barn-Blu...98569&linkCode=ur1&adid=1JASYHTB1G7P9X73DC47&

[​IMG]

https://thebarnmerch.com/collections/dvd-vhs-bluray/products/the-barn-blu-ray

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  19. Katatonia

Damnit, I wish they would have just released it on Blu-ray to begin with! :mad:

20. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Fuck it, I put in my pre-order for the Blu-ray. I started this thread and it seems I'm the only one who has yet to see it! :eek:

It's been a dogs age since I did a blind buy on anything and I'm going off all the positive feedback I've seen from you guys.

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.