The Barn (2016) - 80's Inspired Slasher Film

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Jan 27, 2016.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Agreed that this is frustrating. I just bought the DVD all of 6 months ago. That said, I really enjoyed it & am on board for the Blu-ray.

Katatonia likes this.
  2. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

The Barn definitely had a really nice "Halloween-y" vibe to it that I enjoyed, especially in the scenes at the barn dance. My biggest gripe was the aspect ratio. Low budget movies of this ilk were never shot in 2.35:1 so I can't understand the aesthetic choice. Plus the framing seemed cramped to me, which opening up the frame would have helped a great deal with. The same after effect looking repeated speck of print damage that kept popping up in the right hand corner was a bit annoying, as was a few of the lesser actors. The three villains were quite cool - especially the pumpkin! I had no issue with the CG flames as the effect looked really cool! Some of the 'action' shots and gore were quite pedestrianly set up and shot too but there was definitely a low-fi charm to the whole thing. I doubt I'll pick this up on BD, unless I see it on sale, but it's a rather charming 90 minutes regardless of my gripes.

3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I just placed my preorder for the blu ray! Pretty excited about this one.........even if it arrives early October, I still might wait and include this in the Halloween day viewing lineup. It's got early afternoon-first couple of pumpkin beers on Halloween afternoon written all over it.

It's also probably worth mentioning, it's currently 35 bucks on amazon for preorder. I got it directly from the film's site and was 25 total with shipping.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The back cover artwork is now up on their website listing and the full bonus features listed for the Blu-ray:

[​IMG]

Bonus Content Info- Over 90 minutes of Extras:

• Audio Commentary by Justin M. Seaman (Writer/Director), Mitchell Musolino (Actor - "Sam") and Zane Hershberger (Director of Photography)
    • “The Making of a Nightmare” Documentary - Cast and Crew Interviews (Including Ari Lehman, Linnea Quigley and Rocky Gray)
    • Gag Reel
    • Deleted and Extended Scenes
    - "Mr. Daniels' Arrival"
    - "The Rock Block"
    - "Wheary Farms"
    - "I Don't Believe"
    - "Trick or Treat Montage"
    - "Razor Blades and Candy Bars"
    - "The Legend is Real"
    - "Grave Danger"
    • Alternate Ending
    • “Harvest” Music Video by Rebel Flesh
    • “All Hallow’s Eve” short film
    • “World Wide Weird” London premiere reactions
    • Trailers
    • Commercials
    • Original storybook
    • Reversible cover artwork by Marc Schoenbach and Graham Humphreys

The main new extra details are:

"THE MAKING OF A NIGHTMARE" is nearly an hour long documentary that tells the story of how the film began as a childhood dream and what it took for a group of dedicated individuals to create the finished project. Interviews from the cast and crew as well as Linnea Quigley, Ari Lehman and Rocky Gray.

5. Katatonia

The Barn Blu-ray pre-orders are now shipping... if you pre-ordered direct from thebarnmerch.com that is.

This is also now listed on their website:

Steel76, Colin, Natas and 1 other person like this.
  6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I got my shipping confirmation email earlier today!!!!

7. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Hoping to get shipping confirmation too, I preordered it awhile ago. As long as it comes before Halloween...

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I finally caved and ordered it tonight - hopefully I enjoy it

Steel76 and fceurich39 like this.
  9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

This looks cool but I have money and sights set on Rawhead Rex lol.

10. Katatonia

You might want to check your Spam folder, or log into your account on the website and check the order status.

I'm pretty sure mine arrived in the Spam folder for some reason...

Steel76 likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I got a shipping confirmation on Wednesday. The Barn is a fun film with a lot of Halloween flavor. I look forward to watching this again before the end of the month.

Steel76 likes this.
  12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

13. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I don't think I set up an account on their website and I don't have anything from them in my spam folder. I checked paypal and I preordered it August 18, so maybe I am just down on the list and they haven't shipped it yet. Hopefully soon....

14. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I emailed them last week via their website and still have not heard back from them. It shows it as in stock on their website and shipping the next business day. I was hoping to have a shipping confirmation by now.

15. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Cool they just responded to my email and said the tracking should have been autosent but it wasn't. After checking on it, it is being delivered Today! Pretty sweet.

othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.
  16. Katatonia

I received mine in the mail earlier today... just the Blu-ray in a rigid cardboard mailer, no extra swag or anything.

It has reversible cover artwork, comes in a non-eco standard Elite blue case, and the actual disc is pressed (not a BD-R or anything). MPEG-2 encode (not AVC MPEG-4). Lossless PCM audio track.

Now... for the BAD NEWS. It is the 88-MINUTE cut of the film on the Blu-ray. The old 2-Disc DVD had the longer 98-MINUTE cut of the film, which is 10 minutes longer. I even pulled out the old DVD and checked the running time to be certain, and it indeed runs 10 minutes longer than the Blu-ray. So if you have the old 2-disc DVD you'll want to keep it.

The disc is a single-layer BD-25, and the film itself only takes up around 12gb of that. Since both audio tracks (main + commentary) are lossless PCM, and it also being an MPEG-2 encode the compression isn't the greatest. The transfer is sharper than the DVD however.

There are various deleted and alternate scenes on the Blu-ray bonus features...more than appeared on the old DVD's bonus features. So, the excised footage may be those but I have not had a chance to compare them with the old DVD's longer cut of the film.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    zbinks likes this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

That really sucks! This was billed as a SPECIAL EDITION Blu-ray release. You would think it would be the longer cut.

Mine arrived in the mail today as well. I'm especially annoyed since I already sold the DVD this summer in anticipation of a definitive release on Blu.

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Katatonia

Yeah, it makes little sense. Although I am pretty sure all the scenes that are cut out of the longer cut are on the disc separately in the Deleted/Alternate bonus features.

I haven't watched the shorter cut yet, so I don't know how well it works compared to the longer version on the old 2-DVD. It might not even be that big of a deal...although 10 minutes of footage is quite a bit to cut out. o_O

19. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I have only seen the original cut.
    It said on their website, that the extended was exclusive to the 2-disc DVD.

Personally I felt the original cut, could used a little bit of trimming in a few spots.

othervoice1 and Katatonia like this.
  20. Katatonia

Interesting. Now looking at the OOP 2-DVD listing on their website it does indeed say "Extended Cut Version only available in this edition"

They should probably make that a little more clear on the Blu-ray product page, since both show "NR" as the rating on their respective back covers.