The Barn (2016) - 80's Inspired Slasher Film

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Jan 27, 2016.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

They never got any of the cuts officially rated so the NR rating has no impact on differentiating between the cuts. Since they stated the DVD contains the Extended Cut that seems pretty clear, and since it's not on the Blu-ray they wouldn't have to state it because it's the normal final cut of the film and not an extended version. An extended cut also doesn't mean it's the preferred or best cut of a film - it simply means it contains extended or alternate footage which can add more info (or just more running time) to a film but as Steel76 mentioned can also hinder pace and overall impact, which would make sense why the deleted and alternate scenes on the Blu-ray appears to accommodate that missing run time.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

In other words... they should have been more clear about which cut was actually going to be included on the Blu-ray. o_O

zbinks likes this.
  3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It doesn't help that the running times listed on the cases are short by 8 minutes for each release (80 minutes listed on the Blu-Ray, 90 minutes listed on the Extended Cut DVD) .

One thing I did notice was that the Blu-Ray is authored at a somewhat atypical 24 frames per second, flat, rather than 23.976, and there seems to be a slight twitch periodically throughout the movie. I need to pull out the DVD, which I haven't watched since January, to see if that's how it's presented, too. I know this film was shot digitally, but I don't recall any such anomalies from my previous viewing.

Issues or no issues, the film really doesn't seem to benefit a great deal in high definition, and there's no upgrade in the audio since the DVD also featured a 16 bit, 48 khz LPCM soundtrack.

Katatonia likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The documentary on the Blu-ray was quite good, running at 50+ minutes. All of the old bonus features are in 1080p also.

The audio commentary is new to the Blu-ray, and different than the old one on the 2-DVD release. They reveal that the "Extended Cut" was actually the Original cut of the film, and they trimmed it and changed some scenes later on after reviewers complained of pacing issues, etc.

I did notice a couple of scenes missing that I recalled from before, albeit they were in the Deleted Scenes section of the disc. I don't think the film really suffers much from the trims and changes, but I need to pop in the old DVD and watch that version again to really judge...which I shall indeed do before Halloween. ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Promo code: $4OffBluray

Valid thru 10/28

6. Yeah the pacing of the shorter cut is much better. Still a great film either way but the 88 minute cut is my preferred cut.

othervoice1 likes this.
  7. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Not really interested in revisiting this again, so anyone interested in a viewed once The Barn Blu for $20 (which includes shipping) hit me up. US shipping only.