The Bat Whispers

Discussion in 'Classic' started by dwatts, Jan 17, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, DVD Delirium strikes again. It reminded me of yet another title I'd forgotten about - The Bat Whispers. Having just ordered it, I truly look forward to having this puppy in my hands!

I've read various comments about the film - usually along the lines of "Creaky", meaning it's dated badly. However, I just love films from this period, so don't think I'll be at all bothered by that.

The DVD comes with both the Standard framed version and the 65mm version made at the same time - which is what really drew me in. The camera work is supposed to terrific - and to top it all off the use of minatures is reported as being awesome. Sounds like a winner!

Thanks DVD Delirium!

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

When you get and view this movie, give us a review. I'd like to know how it compares to the original Bat and the vincent price remake.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

What's the best version of Price's "The Bat"? I have a PD release that is very very poor.

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I have a version by Goodtimes that is double featured with House on Haunted Hill (Dual sided disc, with a film on each side). The Bat looks very good and is letterbox. House looks EXCELLENT. I've attached a screenshot from The Bat.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Wow, that looks great. I kid you not - in the PD version I have, the contrast is so cranked up that there are scenes where no-one has a face - the features are all whited out. It's like watching a sock-puppet version. Crying shame I tell ya.

I'll report back on The Bat Whispers once it arrives.... and thanks for the info.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I wonder why it took me so long to watch this one?

Tonight we went in for the 65mm version. Why? Well, come on, a widescreen ratio in 1930, it's just got to be done.

It would be easy to pick holes in a somewhat confusing plot, with very theatrical performances and sets that didn't quite make sense. But I'm not going to because this era is so great, and if you're fan of such things it won't matter one bit.

The highlights are many. The minature work is somewhat crude by todays standards, but for the time they're awesome allowing for swooping cameras in situations where it simply couldn't have been done any other way. However, the best moments of the film by far are the shots of the shadowy Bat, crawling, climbing, transforming.... my God it's absoltuely outstanding. There's even a "creep" scene that brought my forward decades and reminded me of the Ring! Damn!

I won't tell you the identity of the Bat, because the brilliantly staged climax requests I don't. But you really should check this one out. Played alongside James Whales The Old Dark House this would be most excellent.

Yowza - we have another winner!

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

There were several versions of the old stage play THE BAT,one from the 50's starred Vincent Price,but the one you screened is a real treat visually,good fun .