The best and worst of Blu-Ray quality

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bigdaddyhorse, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Damn that is some bullshit about the lack of menus. At least put a still menu with the cover art or something. Hell, every custom dvd I make has at least a static menu, it's not hard to do. Very weak of AB/Starz.

What also makes no sense is why some of their blus have all the features and menus. Just watched Grace, and that even has a lossless PCM audio track. Who decided what got features and what got not even a menu?

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The Lost and The Girl Next Door are indeed the same way, and I also read that the transfers for both weren't anything special. I was really looking forward to getting both, especially since I hadn't picked up the DVDs yet, but now I'm just going to order the (more expensive) DVD versions.

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I'll post my thoughts on these after I watch them.

4. bigdaddyhorse

So I just checked out a little bit of Red Mist, and it has no menu either. Hit menu and the film just re-starts. No extras, no audio options, no subtitles, just the movie and nothing else. Weak, at least it looked good video-quality-wise.

I was wanting to upgrade some of these films, but will hold onto the dvds now for the extras.
    Look around for the dvds, they can be found cheap online. I picked up Lost and Girl Next Door at Best Buy last year for $4.99 each (and I'm in no hurry to watch either again, good but fucking sad and/or anger-inducing), then after seeing Alphabet Killer on cable I got that dvd from amazon for $5 shipped from a seller (I'm not prime or anything, just anyguy ordering). It's silly the dvds cost more in stores, but in these cases they just might be better.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I was thinking about picking up the new Clash of the Titans BD, but the reviews on Amazon are pretty bad.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I picked up the Girl Next Store and it bugs me that they didn't put a menu on the thing, but overall, the quality is good. Better than a DVD, but not impressive enough to show people as an example of Blu Ray (not that you'd want to show anyone that film!! :) ).

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't really see why. It looks pretty damned good in HD and the DTS Master Audio has some kick to it. Sure it's grainy, but this is probably as good as it's going to look, and a big improvement over the old DVD.

The Digibook package is really nice, and you get a free ticket (up to $7.50 at least) to see the remake.

The only thing that sucks though is...WHY THE HELL DIDN'T WARNER PORT OVER THE TRAILER?! They ported over everything else worthwhile, but the damned trailer!! Poltergeist redoux!

8. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

The reviews on DVD websites seem to be pretty solid actually. I'm not sure what's up with those Amazon reviews.

9. Shannafey

You just sold me with the free ticket. That makes it all the more worthwhile, since I'll see the remake anyway.

10. bigdaddyhorse

There's a handfull of blu-rays at Best Buy right now, on sale for $14.99 which include a ticket for Clash reduex. The good news is there's really a ticket inside the case, no need to print it like most have been lately. The bad news is while the movie opens 4/2, the tickets aren't good until 4/9. Even worse, the website that tells you what theaters are participating won't tell me until 4/9, saying the code doesn't start until then.

But with this and Road Warrior on Blu all for $14.99 I'm happy.:)
    Other titles I recall for sure:

Domino
    Wyatt Earp
    Alexander: Final Cut
    Troy: Director's Cut

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

I don't think this film was meant to look shiny, bursting with colors. Nonetheless, the German blu-ray presents The Reflecting Skin with a solid transfer. It is grainy at times though and the English 5.1 audio isn't the strongest. Still, I'm glad to own this little gem on blu.

12. Shannafey

I watched Red Dawn on DVD last night and I'm hoping they put out the Blu Ray when the remake comes out. That DVD is horrendous in video and sound!!!

13. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I ordered the TOOLBOX MURDERS Blu.It looks great and I dont own it yet.So its a no brainer.

sean

14. BrokeNads

BrokeNads New Member

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links - I am glad that my blu version of The Descent is the AVC and not the MPEG-2 version.Weird the slightly better one was actually the one initially released and then discontinued.

16. Stige

Stige Active Member

hmm i thought the fog BR optimim looked stunning bare the opening

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here, I got the AVC Blu of The Descent thankfully...and the grain is beautiful.

My Young Guns Blu-ray is also the newer AVC version...which actually looks pretty good in HD. Apparently the older release was also MPEG-2 and looked like utter crap.

And I'll throw in a comment and say that the Dawn of the Dead (original) Blu-ray from Anchor Bay looks fantastic in HD. Day of the Dead doesn't look quite as good...but at least the Mono audio track flubs got fixed!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  18. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Where can I order this blu ray movie? A reasonable price would be a plus too! Will this work on my USA B-R player?

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It says "Regioncode Free" on the disc so I assume it will play on US BR players. I will test it on my Region A player later to confirm though.
    I got my copy from Amazon.de but shipping to the US is quite expensive.

20. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

How lucky you are to have both region players. OK keep me posted on the region code. Seems impossible to find other region Blu Rays at reasonable prices. Your right the shipping is extremely expensive. You would think I lived on mars!