The best and worst of Blu-Ray quality

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bigdaddyhorse, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

This may go without saying, but Avatar looks absolutely stunning on Blu-Ray. The sound is superb too. No 3D options though. Regardless, this Blu-Ray has seriously just raised the bar.

2. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

its been said before but CREEPSHOW looks amazing.So far this format has done nothing but impress me.its funny that Leslie Nielsen says 'look at tha quality of that picture'

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    That's one title I refuse to buy, because they should have included the UK extras on it. The release of this blu ray made me order the UK DVD and I'm more than happy with it.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The UK release was through Universal, but the US rights are held by Warner. They most likely don't hold any legal claim to those extras and that's probably why they weren't included.

5. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Can any of you guys pull my leg and make me buy the blu of the original TCM for 10 bucks? I own the 3 disc UK dvd.I heard the Dark Sky,SS dvd(R2) and the Blu are all sourced from the same HD transfer.Is 10 bucks worth it? for the blu

sean

6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

$10 is totally worth it. The colors are fantastic. Also the increased resolution reveals even more of the grainy texture of the film so it has even more of grindhouse feel now. That release is fully loaded with everything, so you could sell off your $DVD and then you will have spent even less money on it!

7. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

The UK Blu of this is the same transfer of the Dark Sky release and I got that new & sealed off Ebay for £4 which is about $6. Yes I was very pleased with how this improved over my special edition DVD. Lets face it , this was never going to look like a demo disk but the detail colour and the lossless stereo soundtrack all made it a worthwhile upgrade. Good extras too.

8. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

I just read this entire thread front to back and man, all I have to say is that it really doesn't take a super stellar setup to enjoy Blu-Ray. I'm running on a 32" Toshiba 1080p, Magnovox BD player, and Polk surround sound and holy shit, what a difference.

Some great looking Blus: The Pirates movies. Disney did a tremendous job on the transfer. All 3 films look borderline 3D.

Ghost Rider. Again, holy shit. The detail! There's an overhead shot where you can clearly see every individual rock on the ground in high graphic detail.

Sin City - totally cream worthy. I swear I could smell Alba's cheap perfume.

and quite honestly, I, like baggio, was very skeptical about BD as well. However, now that I noticed that when it comes to most of the new releases, the DVD version gets SHAFTED on extras, (I'm looking at you Clash of the Titans) I figured it was now or never for upgrade. And I'm glad I did. I never thought I'd say this, but I don't think I will be buying many DVDs anymore.

9. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i have recently upgraded to BluRay too and the quality is indeed great

i also didn't say i would double dip, but so far half of my BluRays (about 8) are of movies that i already own

now, that doesn't mean that i won't buy DVD's anymore, some obscure movies that keep getting releases on DVD are highly unlikely to appear on BluRay and DVD's are still cheaper

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

"Ladies and gentlemen the golden shit award goes too:"

War Of The Worlds [2005] is the mother of worse transfers of all time. Wait it gets better I have read the movie was intended to look grainy! To me it honestly just look's flat out like shit. There is absolutely nothing about this film that looks high definition. Yeah I know some of you will defend the film. Like I said it looks pretty darn bad intentional or not.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I haven't watched it yet, but I picked up 2001 for $10. Never really liked the movie, but I'm going to give it another chance on Blu. It is raved about and said to be reference quality.

12. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Guys the TCM original blu ray is 10 bucks at Best Buy stores and online.Get it while you can.

Sean

13. Chet Desmond Jr

Chet Desmond Jr New Member

Michael Felsher, who produced the extras for Universal said he offered everything to Warner for a small fee. They told him they weren't interested.