The Beyond

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by kyouki, Dec 27, 2004.

1. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Hi folks,

I got a few DVDs for Christmas, one of which was The Beyond. I had always been interested in this film but negative reviews citing the weak plot and acting turned me off. I figured I'd wait for Christmas because if I hated it, at least I wouldn't have paid for it!

I was able to watch it over the weekend and I was surprised to find myself really enjoying it!

This was the Anchor Bay release which has very good image quality and a great 5.1 soundtrack.

As for the movie, I don't know what to say. Yes, the script and acting are both pretty weak, and yes, it just seems like a bunch of random events one after another until the finale. But it's fun. And that ending is great.

*SPOILERS*
    The plot is pretty straight-forward and involves a woman inheriting an old hotel that sits on one of the 7 gates of hell. Chaos ensues, the dead rise from their graves, many zombies are shot twice in the chest and then once in the face for dramatic impact.

The set pieces are all impressive, with the themes this time around seeming to be falling from great heights, the usual Fulci eye gore, and acid deaths.
    *END SPOILERS*

I was pretty impressed that there were no "flashback" scenes of earlier scenes in the film trying to explain to the audience what's going on. This is a personal pet peeve of mine and nothing pulls me out of a movie more than having to watch a scene I watched 30 minutes ago because the director/script writer/whoever either thinks the audience is not clever enough to remember something that happened a few minutes ago or wants to pad the length of the movie.

So in sum, the script was somewhat weak, the plot was all over the place, and the acting (with a few exceptions... for example that final scene!) was medicore. So I don't know why I liked it, but I really did. I liked it so much, in fact, that I went out the next day and bought Zombie on DVD!

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

this is fulci's masterpiece

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

As I have said countless times before, this is indeed Fulci's masterpiece. The plot issue is mostly a lack of appreciation for the way Italian films were made, and what they represent (which unlike American movies, was a linked set of spectacle rather than a narrative - Argento does this too).

It's easy to pick holes in the film, but to me, I sometimes like to approach the film in the manner in which it was meant to be seen. When you do that with The Beyond, the bounty is huge.

Still a favorite of mine.

4. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Unlike a lot of his other films, THE BEYOND is more than a few fun gore sequences patched together. I've always enjoyed Fulci but I've never had a problem using the fast-forward button on his films. This is the sole exception...the whole thing works.
    I agree, view in in the spirit with which it was made--I think Fulci really nailed the dreamlike quality he was going for here.

5. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Well, I think we're all in agreement here. :)

I watched Zombie since then. While it was pretty good, The Beyond was far and away more enjoyable. So where do I go from here? I was thinking "City of the Living Dead" and "The House by the Cemetery." Good choices?

6. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Yes.

7. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I prefer CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD to HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. Love the gore scenes.

I like NEW YORK RIPPER better than either CITY or HOUSE, but it's a different type of movie.

8. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

House By The Cemetery is a masterpiece, so is City of the Living Dead. Fulci was on an amazing roll from the late 70's through early 80's.

City of the Living Dead has so many fantastic gore scenes, drill, guts, and many others. I don't want to ruin it for you, so go check it out and let us know what you think.

9. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The
    gut puker
    is such an awesome scene.

10. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I thought the Beyond was weaker than City of the Living Dead and Zombi 2. The Beyond has a few good gore scenes, but for the most part, they looked really fake. Did anybody really think the spider scene looked realistic?

City of the Living Dead had a bunch of good gags (pun intended). I still have no idea how they did the blood running from the eye scenes...

11. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

u can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned fulci titles, and jason25 has it right by sayin he was on a roll....... some refer to the the beyond as an "unoffical" sequel to "city".... and every horror and cult film fanatic needs new york ripper in the collection, and the anchorbay disc of that film is fantastic.....

12. Criswell

Criswell New Member

City made no sense!!!!!!!!

Were the Zombies real????????...........how did they disappear?????

Who screams and why at the end????????

13. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I don't know. I couldn't argue for the "dreamlike" angle, nor for the logical, realistic narrative side of the house (where the previously mentioned plot "holes" are actually more like craters).

My assessment: The Beyond is junk food cinema. Good and tasty for the grade z trash that it is but, after that, nothing more, nothing less.

14. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I often pondered the end of this movie myself.It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense but COTLD is often one of my first choices when I have nothing new to watch.

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Due to the ultra low budget of these films, there is a lot of unintended humor that results and of course most people that watch these films seem to only like them for the gore.

However, there are a lot more to these movies than many of you are giving it credit for having.

The whole point for many of these films was the capture a nightmare on film. The Beyond does this better than most surreal films, as a matter of fact it's one of the very best examples. This is why I like it so much.

16. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

the beyond single handly turned me into a fulci whore. i watched zombie many years back but didnt have the impact on me that beyond did. the other 2 of my favs are city of the living dead and house by the cemetary.

17. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Who cares? I've always thought that not knowing what the fuck was going on was half of the fun of watching Italian horror flicks.

18. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Fulci is a mixed bag. He can make some damn good films like : The Beyond, House By The Cemetary, and Zombie. He can make average films like : House Of Clocks. And than can make some that are kind of bad : Demonia.

19. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

fulci definetly turned me into a fan of eurohorror

20. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Most of my favourite movies are like that!