The Beyond

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by kyouki, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE BEYOND is my favorite Fulci.Yes,it is pretty nutty,but it has a great mood and some terrific set pieces.It's a film about atmosphere rather than plot,very dreamlike.While low budgets and ill health dogged him in later years,at his best,Fulci was a real stylist.

2. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Well, I just ordered City of the Living Dead and House by the Cemetery. I'm looking forward to both of these.

The more I think about The Beyond the more I like it. It does have sort of a nightmarish quality to it but I think the plot makes sense and is pretty coherent.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I agree actually. The Plot on The Beyond is actually pretty good. I can only guess that some people mistake the complexities of it for incompetence. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think there's a lot more going on there than meets the eye. Of course, its surreal elements make it difficlut for us to grasp. The narrative is broken up, yet it bookended by scenes we can easily interpret.

Brilliant film.

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Discussing the "complexities" of the plot (or "Plot" if you want) for The Beyond is akin to a group of NASA engineers sitting roundtable one morning, plastered out of their skulls, and admiring the structural integrity of a Cheerios cereal loop.

:p

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I've heard about a forthcoming MB release of City of the Living Dead, an 25th Anniveresy Edition.

6. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I've heard that as well but I couldn't find any information on a possible release date and I wanted to see the movie so badly. ;)

7. Vasilis

Vasilis New Member

The Beyond and house by the cemetery, are my favorite Fulci films. Oddly enough house by the cemetery was one of the first horror movies i ever saw at the age of 8. I didn't know who Fulci was by that time. Now i'm 28 and still hooked :)

8. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I watched House by the Cemetery last night and while it was good I would so far rank it behind The Beyond and Zombie. I did enjoy it however... some great scenes in that one.

City of the Living Dead should be on the way! I'm very excited to see this one.

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

City of the Living Dead kicks serious ass!

Those Zombies have superpowers!

They are special zombies that are actually demons using corpses as hosts.

10. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Beyond was alright, but I find a lot of Fulci's stuff isn't as great as everyone says it is. I can't remember much about Beyond other than..
    the dude at the end's learning curve must have been fucked. Either that or his aim was atrocious. SHOOT THEM IN THE HEAD!!! Hell even Fly-boy caught on to that one and we all know how much of a dink he was.
    My general theory on Fulci is that he's one of those status-defining directors where if you are a fan, it proves your so called love/knowledge of horror beyond a North American exposure. Argento on the other hand deserves that sort of reverance, but he's become too mainstream and too tollerable to the lay-person. Therefore Fulci, being more obscure, gets you a higher status. That said, I think House by the Cemetary is probably the one I like best. :D

Just wanted to add that if you truely are a fan, then what I said obviously doesn't apply to you. However I think we all know that saying you're a Fulci fan is like saying "look how cultured and devoted to horror I am!"

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hm, Fulci means your cultured? :D

I'm a Fulci fan, but I'd be the frist to admit I'm a "DVD" Fulci man, meaning, if it's on DVD I've seen it, if not, then I probably have not. Let's face it, if you really want exposure to Fulci, you've gotta have that old-fangled tape stuff. The set of films I can get then concentrates largely on his horror output - from Zombi to the end. And man, did FUlci have a long death-rattle or what? He really petered out.

But overall, from what I've read, what we have just isn't really representative. Any fans who want to know more ought to head off and buy "Beyond Terror", an excellent guide that'll leave you furstrated at the dirth of Fulci on the silver platter.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well, you know what I mean ;)

13. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

to Mok:

For newbies maybe you are right, how knows, but I am thinking you are making too much of this.

as far what you said as a spoiler, just remember that the movie plays out using pure dream logic, and that kind of stuff happens all the time in dreams.

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

It's just what I've come to believe about the Fulci phenom, not really a said truth.

I guess by dream logic, you could say Beyond is a masterpiece. ;)

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Yes it is!

If you took it literally which you are not suppose to do, then it makes no sense whatsoever.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Zombies Are GOD(s)????!!!

17. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

sure is.................

18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I gave this one another look last night, and yes it is quite good. Masterpiece? Well, from Fulci's selection I guess it is. I stand corrected.

19. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Personally, I prefer Fulci to Argento. His films are more fun.

20. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

i personally would pick fulci, bava, deodato , and d'amato over argento..............argento is like the cronenberg of italy..........