The Beyond

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by kyouki, Dec 27, 2004.

1. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Of what I've seen of Fulci (The Beyond, Zombie, House by the Cemetery) and Argento (only Suspiria), I prefer Fulci's films. They're a lot more enjoyable to me.

I just got City of the Living Dead so I'll be watching that this weekend. Can't wait!!

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

That one is a lot of fun...anyone remember the old "Terrorvision" big box VHS?

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i still think zombie is better

4. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I got a chance to watch City of the Living dead last weekend, which was pretty good! Some good effects and some creepy moments.

Of what I've seen I'd rank the Fulci films as follows:

1) The Beyond (by far)
    2) Zombie (great although it takes too long to get started imo)
    3) City of the Living Dead (very good but again takes too long to get started)
    4) House by the Cemetery (quite a bit different from the other films)

These are all the Fulci films that really interest me, although I do have Conquest and will be watching that soon. I realize it's supposed to be pretty bad but I'm looking forward to it (in a way) nonetheless.

5. Korngold

Korngold New Member

You know I thought the AB dvd was oop. Yet today I walked into best buy and sitting on the shelf (oddly in the sci-fi section) was the beyond!

UPDATE: watched it yesterday and without a doubt it was my favorite of the three fulci movies I've seen (the beyond, zombie 2, and house by the cementary). Everything in this film lends to fulci's style. It was a visual nightmare and I enjoyed every minute of it.

My favorite scene was when Liza Merril drove down that highway and met emily (I think it was emily... the blind blond girl) and the final shot in hell. I enjoy any film that doesn't do the "fire and brimstone" hell as we often envision it. Both this and Hellraiser (although not considered hell) accomplish this and more so.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005