"The Blood-Stained Shadow" worth a look!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Joel Groce, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

Broke out the Giallo Collection and decided to try this one first since I read it was prob. the weaker of the 4. Well I was pleasantly surprised - and enjoyed the fact that I couldn't figure out the killer in the flick. Also another great score by Goblin - if this is the worst, I can't wait to see the others. I was reading that Bido also directed "Watch Me When I Kill" - anyone enjoy this flick?

2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I loved this one, probably my 2nd fav out of the set. I don't know why everyone thinks it is the lesser one of the set but i enjoyed it. The only one i didn't like was Short Night Of The Glass Dolls, other than that the set was great. I bought the DVD of Watch Me When I Kill and the movie was ok, kinda dull giallo and the picture quality on the DVD was crap, must have mastered from a VHS becuase it was very dark and just plain bad.

3. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

My personal fav in the box was probably WHO SAW HER DIE?, followed by BLOODSTAINED SHADOW, CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS and SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS bringin' up the rear (which is strange, as most folks rave about it). WATCH ME WHEN I KILL is an ok flick, but "hell ya!" is right, the DVD is ass.

4. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I have a Thorn/EMI copy of "Watch Me When I Kill," surely the DVD looks better than a beat up 20 yr old vhs. The movie is dull and boring as hell. Took me multiple viewings to finally finish it.

I haven't gotten the Giallo box set, yet, I'm not up with the times.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Short Night of Glass Dolls has pacing problems, but its concept and finale make it very deserving of all the praise it receives IMO.

6. bruce h

Street Trash – VCI’s disc does indeed look pretty much like videotape. Blurry, dark and smeary – maybe they were going for a VHS nostalgia angle?

Rhett – the concept of debauchery among the opulent is quite common in gialli, check out Paolo Cavara’s PLOT OF FEAR and Luigi Bazzoni’s THE FIFTH CORD, to name just two. To me, SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS was instead just a slow-moving, predictable and not-very-violent mystery, eschewing all the flourishes and idiosyncrasies that make other gialli so memorable.

But we’re all entitled to our own opinions – and I’m sure as hell not gonna argue with someone for liking an Italian exploitation flick.

7. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

This is the only movie out of the boxed set that I haven't watched. Time to fire it up I guess.:p

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Bruce, I wasn't talking about debauchery, what I found ingenious was the fact that the lead character was physically paralyzed and mute. As you said though, to each his own.

9. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

Looks like I'm out of step with the other posters here again. I thought SHORT NIGHT was terrific! It's actually more of a film noir than a Giallo, but the main conceit of the story is very clever. And the ending is a classic.

I haven't watched Blood-Stained Shadow, as yet, so can't comment there...

10. newt

newt Guest

I thought Bloostained Shadow was the worst of the set. I had to fast forward to finish it, which I rarely do:sleepy:

11. Ahh - Bloodstained Shadow is okay - the beginning is a bit odd though!
    Who Saw Her Die is up there with Profondo Rosso, Blood & Black Lace & What Have They Done To Your Daughters! Awesome.

12. bruce h

I actually found that to be the most predictable aspect. As soon as the paralysis plot device was introduced you knew how the whole thing would end. It's right out of EC comics and, later, Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Ah man, I really loved the giallo set. I'll probably go through it again soon. I remember people saying they were disappointed in it, but man was I happy as hell.

BLOODSTAINED SHADOW rocked! I loved the whole thing. Won't be specific as it's been quite a while, but I was thoroughly impressed.

14. newt

newt Guest

Just finished Short Night of the Glass Dolls. I thought it was pretty good. The first half was slow figuring out where the movie was going but the second half picked up. The cinematography was excellent! Loved the ending.:eek: and the score. Now only Who Saw Her Die to go:banana:

15. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

I agree. I loved the set. I thought that Short Night Of Glass Dolls was the weakest entry of the four. However, I still thought that it was a good film. My personal favorite was The Case of The Bloody Iris. Who Saw Her Die was a close second. I eagerly await a Giallo Collection 2.

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I don't know about ranking them. IMO they're all great. GLASS DOLLS was good, but I'm hesistant to say it was the least-best (still an awesome movie) of the four. WHO SAW HER DIE? was fucking amazing. Well done, drawn out, but still interesting - just the way I like giallos. BLOODY IRIS was cool, it had a somewhat trashy/sleazy tone throughout the whole thing, and as I've said before, if I didn't know any better I'd guess it was shot on location in NYC. Very cool in that respect, although I love when rural locations are utilized (GRAPES OF DEATH anyone?). And, as I said, I surprisingly loved BLOODSTAINED SHADOW. Everyone had said it was the worst, but I quite disagree. And tell me the poster art (the insert) isn't one of the coolest fucking things EVER!

17. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

I liked the use of Venice and an island village nearby as locales. This made The Bloodstained Shadow unique. I thought it had a good plot as well. It certainly had some good killings.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I just watched the first film from this set - and The Bloodstained Shadow was it!

I watched it with my wife, and while it missed out on the "sleaze" often found in the genre, it was quite a bit of fun to watch.

If this is indeed the worst, then I'm in for a real treat with the rest! In short, this film was great. At $36, this box set is a steal.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2003
  19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yep, as I've said before I really enjoyed this film. Watched it again not too long ago and it holds up pretty well upon repeat viewing. Like I said above, I don't think any of them are at all bad. All of them are very well done.

20. R. I. P.

R. I. P. New Member

I feel the entire Giallo Collection is a true treasure. Yes, I have my favorites just like the rest of you. My personal favorite from this excellent collection is "The Bloodstained Shadow". Here, the atmosphere of Venice is as thick as what was felt in another classic, "Don't Look Now". "Who Saw Her Die" is another absolute gem. :)

Again, atmosphere is what I treasure most when experiencing giallo movies, and this collection delivers in a big way. ;)

R. I. P. :glasses: