The Boy (2016), Starring Lauren Cohan (Walking Dead)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Oct 14, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The same writer and director are teaming up for The Boy 2, with filming to begin in British Columbia on January 14th. Katie Holmes has signed on to star as the lead.

Plot details so far: Unaware of the terrifying history of Heelshire Mansion, a young family moves into the estate, where their young son soon makes an unsettling new friend, an eerily life-like doll he calls Brahms.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I didn't care for the first. It was OK till the twist that just made it feel more generic to me. Potential spoilers for anyone's who hasn't seen it yet but I was more intrigued in the beginning when it felt like it was something supernatural.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Same here. I think I reviewed the movie somewhere around here. I thought it was in this topic but apparently not. The twist I thought was like a bunch of recent at the time horror movies.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. CPT HOOK

Trailer for Brahms: The Boy II premieres tomorrow. Movie hits theaters on February 21st.

hots4 and fceurich39 like this.
  5. CPT HOOK

6. ImmortalSlasher

This really didn't seem like the sort of movie that needs a sequel. I don't think I need to see this one.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I thought the first film was pretty shitty to be honest. I certainly have no desire to see its sequel unless it's one of those rare times where the sequel actually turns out to be far better than the original.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I enjoyed the first, I didn't think it warranted a sequel, but if they can do something interesting with it and no just re-hash the first, I'm up for watching.

9. Zombie Dude

Wow, that trailer was hilariously bad. There was a music cue for literally everything. It was just pummeling me with noise. That being said I did like that it looks like there's definitely a supernatural aspect this time. Makes me wonder why they put a "2" at the end of it though. If the movies full of unnecessary "reaction" noise I probably won't see it. At this stage I'm hoping that's just a poor choice made for this trailer.

10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I watched the original when it was on cable last year and I didn't hate it but I also don't remember much about it. I'm a sucker for doll/mannequin movies and Brahms is creepy looking so I'll probably see this one as well.

11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Gonna catch a matinee this Friday. Fuck it......low expectations, we'll see.....

12. CPT HOOK

Revisited the first movie on blu-ray last night, and caught a matinee of the sequel this afternoon. The first movie still worked for me due to the chemistry between Cohan and Evans, however the horror element does lose a little something when you watch it with the ending confirmed. Still enjoyed it though.

As for Brahms: The Boy II, I thought it was pretty mediocre. The family is uninteresting and the movie doesn't go anywhere. There aren't really any good scares or jolts, aside from a Cathy's Curse-ish scene with a bratty cousin (which looking back just now is spoiled in the trailer). It kind of just goes through the motions, wraps up without any sort of pay-off, then tacks on a little sequel tease.

Even though there is continuity with the first movie, it also contradicts the logic of the first movie. It feels like it should have been a direct-to-video sequel, I can't imagine it was an expensive movie to make. As completely underwhelming as this movie is, it's easily better than those awful Annabelle movies. That's a low bar though.

I will say that I enjoyed having the entire theater to myself, and I appreciated the 80 minute running time. Otherwise, not recommended.

Natas likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

Hey, Annabelle Creation isn't too bad. I'd say it's better than the other two of those films by a long shot. It's the only expanded Conjuring universe movie I think is worth watching.

Steel76 and othervoice1 like this.
  14. ImmortalSlasher

This is probably more entertaining than the sequel.