The Brothers Grimm

Discussion in 'General' started by Grim, Sep 9, 2003.

1. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I went and saw it on Friday an it was just ok. I was really into it for the first 15 minutes or so and then it just kinda lost me. Some of the cg effects were atrocious while others were pretty decent, but the film as a whole looked quite beautiful which is to be expected noting on who worked on it. However, I damn near walked out after one scene in particular and I'm still a little confused over what type of a movie this is. It really doesn't feel like it has it all together if you know what I mean. Some of the dialogue is funny in a dry British sense, while the story goes between a lighthearted fairytale and dark comedy or something. I just don't know what to make of it.

2. Luna

Luna Guest

I love Terry Gilliam, so I'd really love to see this movie, the sooner the better. :)

3. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

This is the exact reason why I skipped this movie even though I'm a Gilliam admirer. I'm so sorry he never got The Man Who Killed Don Quixote finished. Now that would have been a great film if Lost in La Mancha is any indication.

My DVD Collection

4. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Remember the wolf transformation scene? I had serious flashbacks of An American Werewolf in Paris. It's baaad! I did like a certain CGI effect involving the Mirror Queen towards the end. This movie had much potential, but it's squandered on annoying characters (Stormare's "performance" grates on the nerves!) and a muddled storyline. Still, Gilliam's least efforts are more entertaining than half the Hollywood crap out there.

5. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I'm curious about which scene you are talking about.

I saw it and I enjoyed it. It was pretty funny and had a dark atmosphere. I like pretty much everythiing that Gilliam has done. As for "The Pan Labyrinth"... that news made my day! Del Toro is great.

6. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

No one should be subjected to this film. AWFUL. I walked out halfway through. See Grizzly Man or The Constant Gardener instead.

7. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Just went to see this afternoon (premiered this weekend).
    No classic but still very enjoyable.A real "Baroque Horror" fairytale.
    The visuals overall were beautiful,though some scenes were spoiled by CGI.
    I didn't hate all CGI here though and luckily Gilliam has kept it to a minimum.
    I even might buy it when it comes out on shiny silver disc.

8. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I rented this the other day since I've been meaning to revisit it ever since I'd seen it in the theatre. I still have pretty much the same feelings over it as I had before. It's a good movie, just not all that interesting to me. I think it would appeal to me a lot more if I was a kid again.