The Bruce Lee Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Agent Z, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I just started revisiting Bruce Lee's movies.....and I wonder why I took such a long hiatus from one of the greatest action film stars of all time.

If I had to rank Lee's films from best-to-worst, I would go.......

(NOTE:I'm using the USA titles here.....I know that it could get confusing, if not noted otherwise)

1.THE CHINESE CONNECTION- the top spot could have gone to ENTER THE DRAGON, which is more polished and better-produced......but I just prefer THE CHINESE CONNECTION because the fight scenes seem to be more aggressive here....and there seems to be an oppressive mood throughout the film......you just know that something bad is on the way. And how can you top the final frame?

2.ENTER THE DRAGON- Not only do you get Bruce (which is more than enough), but you also get Jim Kelly (No, not the retired Buffalo Bills QB! Get some 70's culture in ya already!) AND John Saxon (who holds his own in those tournament scenes!) in a martial arts classic! How many times has this classic been ripped-off and parodied!?

3.FISTS OF FURY- Ice factory mayhem! This is one of my all-time favorite Hong Kong low-low-low budget kung fu spectaculars! It's cheesy, predictable, violent, and cartoonish, all at once.......but it works! It's an action-revenge flick sent to entertain....nothing more, nothing less......

4.RETURN OF THE DRAGON- Written and directed by Lee. The film's finale features Bruce squaring off against Chuck Norris in a Roman Coliseum.........nuff said......

5.GAME OF DEATH- Bruce Lee's final film started filming only to have Lee's tragic death occur after a few completed scenes. The result: Bruce Lee doubles (in incognito poses with shades and motorcyle helmets) were called-in to help finish the film out and milk the final cash cow. It probably would have been a better idea to have left this unfinished.....it's just a total mess. There are even scenes where a cardboard cutout of Bruce Lee's face is put on a mirror with an actor standing motionless behind it! Modern audiences should note that Uma Thurman's yellow jumpsuit in KILL BILL is a direct nod to Bruce Lee's attire in his final showdown with
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar....one of the few scenes that were actually completed before Lee's death.

Now, in terms of R1 dvd releases, I think the best available, in terms of audio and video, are the Fox Home Video versions. However, I have been looking into some of the R2 releases, which also come with commentaries and deleted scenes(?)....

Here is a great link that I found which details some of the R2 Bruce Lee dvds...and actually has some of the clips...including a cool clip missing from the U.S. FISTS OF FURY where
    Bruce crushes the ribcage of the final Boss with his bare fingers
    !

http://www.bruceleedivinewind.com

I will stop here for now and will post some more links later. And, as I delve into the R2 releases, I will report back with more definitive reviews at later dates.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I haven't watched a Bruce Lee flick in ages, even though I own Enter The Dragon :( I should give it a spin again one of these days.
    I grew up watching Bruce Lee flicks though - I even saw The Chinese Connection in a theater once :cool:
    Damn, I so wanted to be like Bruce Lee, made my own nunchaks and all. I'm surprised I never poked out my eyes with those things heh.

Thanks for the link codez :banana:

3. Agent Z

Anytime Hellbilly..... :)

:banana: (Hey, how can I get this banana some nunchaku?)

BTW, where did you see THE CHINESE CONNECTION at on the big screen? That is pretty cool! :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2003
  4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

They used to show all sorts of "oldies" Saturday afternoons at our local entertainment center/theater on base, when I was nothing but a wee lad back in the late late 70s :)

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:lol:
    A banana smiley with nunchakus would be awesome :D

6. Great movies.

I managed to see all of the Bruce Lee movies in the theater, although the Return Of The Dragon was not on a good screen, it was with a great crowd.

I still have my old Laser's of the Bruce Lee movies, and have been thinking about upgrading to DVD, but since I have not watched them in a long time I have pretty much left the upgrade in limbo.

I have read that the R2 DVD's from Hong Kong Legends are the best ones out there. Looking forward to your review once you get your new discs.

7. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

I have all of the HKL DVDs:

In order of release:
    Big Boss (aka Fist of Fury in America)
    Fist of Fury (aka Chinese Connection)
    Way of the Dragon (aka Return of the Dragon)
    Game of Death

All these DVDs have been remastered with all the touch ups through some seriously meticulous process as shown in one of their restoration featurettes. HKLs are definitely the definitive versions of the films.

It contains the original Cantonese soundtracks, with remastered subtitles for a better translation. Game of Death is in English, not Cantonese, but that was as intended because Bruce died before the completion of the final film. Therefore the producers took some of the pagoda action footage and used a Bruce double to finish the film.

These are DVDs are far better than when I first had the opportunity to see them way back during their initial releases on VHS. Nothing like watching it remastered with the original soundtrack!!!!

8. Thanks for the info, these sound great Sinister Ash. Exactly what I will want to get when I finally upgrade from my Lasers to DVD on these movies.

So does anyone know what the best version is of Enter The Dragon?

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Are the HKL's uncut? I know the R1 of The Big Boss is cut.

10. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Best versions of Bruce Lee films came out of HKL. All of them are UNCUT (these are the longest existing prints available). With prestine transfer, and the original Cantonese soundtrack, who could go wrong?!

Game of Death even has like 40mins worth or original Bruce Lee footage, which most of it wasn't even included in the theatrical cut. Talk about digging up some of the rarest footage. The footage included of GoD is probably the most complete set I've seen from anywhere.

As for Enter the Dragon, the R1 WB version is the best. It even includes footage originally taken out of the Theatrical Version. It's about 2mins more footage where Bruce discusses his philosopy with Kiu-Wang (the monk) in the beginning of the film.

I'd recommended getting all the HKL versions and WB's ETD.

11. Thanks again Sinister Ash. I figured that the R1 version of Enter The Dragon might be the best, but I wanted to make sure that there was not a better one out there before I made the purchase.

12. Agent Z

Sinister Ash has me seriously psyched now. Great info! I knew the HKL versions were more complete....but I have suspected that the Fox Video R1 releases would have the best video quality.....and, maybe that's not the case after all. I am awaiting my shipment even more now...........

13. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

http://hkl.f2t.org.uk/dvdreviews/dvdtbb.htm

Check this site out for the picture quality.... it should make you even more psyched. Well, I hope you guys enjoy the discs as much as I did. These are some of my favorite DVDs, and when you get them, you'll see why! Must have for any Bruce Lee fan.

Always glad to help people looking for the definitive versions of Bruce Lee's films.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  14. etale

etale Guest

We ran ENTER THE DRAGON with DRAGON: THE BRUCE LEE STORY and the "Fistful of Yen" segment of KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE.

15. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Enter the Dragon: 2-disc Special edition
    [​IMG]
    Special Features:

Disc 1
    Commentary by producer Paul Heller
    Blood and Steel: The Making of Enter the Dragon (new)
    Bruce Lee: In His Own Words (vintage)
    Linda Lee Cadwell Interview Gallery
    Lair of the Dragon - Includes 1973 featurette and "Backyard Workout with Bruce Lee" (selection only)

Disc 2
    Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey (vintage)
    Curse of the Dragon (vintage)
    Theatrical trailers
    Television spots

Might be old news, but I just found out about it. :banana:

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

check this out :

http://www.kungfucinema.com/news/2004-04-06-02.htm

"
    VideoAsia's 'Ultimate Edition' Bruce Lee DVDs

Ventura Distribution has announced three upcoming Bruce Lee DVDs from client VideoAsia including a documentary packed with rare extras and two compilations of 'Brucexploitation' films containing four movies each. Each disc is set for release on July 20th."

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bruce Lee's original Game of Death footage is really impressive, it's a crime that such a movie was never finished because it would have revolutionized the way martial arts films would be done. Instead it was reshoot as the cliche crap we always get.

18. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

The footage is included on Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey. I have heard that a special cut of the movie was being made that would include the "lost" footage. That was last year and I have not heard anything else lately.

I have some footage of Bob Wall (Oharra) working out with Bruce on the Enter the Dragon set. It's bootleg footage and Wall has vowed to sue anybody that ever releases it for profit...I wish it would make it on the new dvd. It's some really good footage.

19. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

I've got a the R4 WB snapper case release (i'm sure its the same as the R1) and the R1 masters collection containing the other 4 films + a bonus disc.. can anyone tell me what i'm missing out on?

20. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Well, you have all of Bruce's official releases. You need the "The Warrior's Journey" with the unreleased GoD footage. It looks like it will be included in the new Enter the Dragon release.