The Bruce Lee Resource Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Agent Z, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Got a nice surprise when I woke up this morning, my Bruce Lee boxset had arrived. Not the HKL one, which I nearly bought a few weeks ago, but the brand new HK boxset.

Bruce Lee Ultimate DVD Collection (R3 - IVL/Fortune Star):

The Big Boss (1971)
    Fist Of Fury (1972)
    Way Of The Dragon (1972)
    Enter The Dragon (1973)
    Game of Death (1978)
    Game of Death II (1981)

Fully re-mastered using advanced HD technology, Dolby 5.1 and DTS sound, this Bruce Lee boxset is the ultimate version for any kung-fu fanatic! Enjoy all these movies subtitled in English, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. The superb collection comes with a 32 page booklet and a bonus disc containing photo galleries, trailers, celebrity interviews, "Game of Death" collector's footage, NG shots and the alternate "Enter The Dragon" opening credits.

Seriously, the transfers on this release make the HKL discs look almost VHS-like in comparison. Here's a quick comparison:

The Big Boss (HKL DVD)
    [​IMG]

The Big Boss (IVL/Fortune Star DVD)
    [​IMG]

The only real downside is that Enter The Dragon doesn't feature the original English track, due to Warner. Game Of Death II doesn't have the Cantonese track but that isn't too bad as it uses the International print which runs longer, hence there being no Cantonese track, and features the fantastic Casanova Wong fight scene missing from the shorter Cantonese version.

But at least The Big Boss, Fist Of Fury and Way Of The Dragon include the original Mandarin soundtracks unlike the HKL releases which only had the re-release Cantonese tracks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2004
  2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

check out the cover :

[​IMG]

A special limited edition version of the box set was release with a t-shirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ian

ian Member

It is. I've got a copy and there's roughly 33 minutes of Bruce's Game Of Death footage compiled according to his notes in the Warriors Journey documentary. It's really interesting stuff. Add to the pile all the extras from the first release as well as a bunch of new stuff and an improved transfer and this movie is a Lee fan's dream come true.

4. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I can't freakin' wait to get my hands on this. Bruce is my idol, he deserves the best dvd treatment.

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I'd love to have this LE time capsule!!! :eek1: Oh, how I wish I could be without region limitations. :(

6. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I got the 2-Disc SE of Enter the Dragon today, haven't got a chance to look at the extras, but on my friends Phillips Flat-Screen TV, it looked beautiful. Spotless, with good audio as well. One of the best DVD releases of 2004.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I said "What the hell" and ordered the Ultimate DVD Collection, since I don't own any Bruce Lee movies and that's a damn shame. I was looking at the HKL but for some reason they left me flat, but these look fantastic.

I also sprung for the T-Shirt, it was 10 bucks more which is fair enough.

8. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I picked up the 2 disc of Enter the Dragon yesterday and the extras are kick ass! They discovered some more footage from Game of Death and have edited it together the way Bruce had wanted it and it looks very good. If I ever need a Game of Death fix I will only need to pop in this disc. The version contained in the Bruce Lee Collection will collect dust for eternity, what a stinker!

On a side note, since the discovery of Bruce's story notes written for game of death, I think it would be very cool if Jet Li or Donnie Yen would film a new version of Game of Death the way Bruce intended it to be. Shaq could play Kareem's character. I think it would be a damn good idea.