The Burning, From Beyond, & ROTLD announced

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, May 25, 2007.

1. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Usually the cover sheet is shifted up, rather than tilted or otherwise skewed. There isn't much tolerance in height between the sheet and the dvd case insert plastic, doesn't take much to screw it up.

But for those cover sheets that are skewed towards the bottom, theft paranoid manufacturers are ready and willing to screw you there, too. Never seems to fail those DVDs that you don't rip the top of the cover sheet off when you pull the seal sticker off are those few with a *bottom* (and, often, side) sticker that rips the bottom of the cover sheet off. The irony is the DVDs that most often get the Fort Knox sticker treatment are those cheap ass budget DVDs that wouldn't be worth risking jail time to shoplift.

But the seal sticker games don't end there. For a while it seemed every DVD had these superglue stickers, you know the type - those you actually end up ripping the insert plastic off the DVD case trying to get them off. When you finally do get the sticker off (usually in pieces), it leaves its snail trail of glue residue behind (easy enough to remove I learned, just use the sticker to pull up the residue). Now I say "for a while", because it seemed like they switched to using easier to remove stickers. But I've noticed recently that the glue trap stickers seem to be back. Sometimes I feel I spend more time opening and cleaning off my DVD purchases than I do watching them.

Right up there with seal stickers ripping the cover sheet is theft prevention bars sticking right on the inner liner of DVD box sets. You get that multi-disk tv season set, and stuck over the main characters face under the disk tray plastic is that magnetic strip. Not attached to the plastic where you can remove it, not on a separate paper which you can discard (that good idea didn't seem to last long). But attached to the disk set illustration liner itself, so if you do manage to pry up the dvd plastic to get at it and remove it, it will surely rip part of the picture off with it.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It happened on my copy of From Beyond too, although only with the cover. The disc itself was intact and fine. I was able to minimize the damage the security stickers did to the cover, so it was barely noticable.

I use this method when I do see the nasty security stickers stuck to the tops of the covers:

Keep the security sticker intact with the covers, but pull the other halves (or near-halves depending) of the security sticker off of the actual keepcase. With the keepcase open spread-eagle, lay it flat down.

Now grab the opposite ends of the covers that aren't stuck with the security stickers.

Gently and slowly pull the opposite ends of the covers out of the case, but be sure that you also hold and watch the security stickers on the other end (to minimize tearing) which are still stubbornly attached to the covers.

It seems that the stickers then will usually come loose without actually tearing or removing the top part of the cover where the sticker was...or at least minimize the damage.

That's the best description I could sum up of for my method, which might be a little difficult to fathom without an actual demonstration...but it seems to work extremely well in my experience. Often it won't even do any damage, which removing the security stickers in the normal way would. :)

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Usually in a case like this, I'd just use a razor or exacto to cut the sticker along where the case opens and leave it. Since the hub was broken I knew I'd need a new case, and wanted to get the loose disc sercured first off so the cover paid. I was going to print a custom for this anyway, but it still annoys me to have the real cover ripped for no reason other than the companies using sweat-shop labor to put them together. Even better, it didn't have the other security stickers on the bottom and side. Why can't the cover hang low where there's nothing to ruin it?
    I just felt this happening when I placed the order, knew it would since 90% or more of new discs I see in stores have sticker touching cover. If DVD wasn't a market that HD is trying to get rid of, I'd open my own fucking store just to not worry about this shit!
    Fuck it, I'm printing a custom tonight and am done with this. The disc looks fine and the featurettes played. Now my ex-roommate, she may have to fucking die. Think I'll start by ripping out her hair, kinda as a symbolic nod to the dvd pissing me off even more.:evil:

4. legz

legz Member

I was checking out the new ROTLD Collectors edition and was disappointed to see that the running time was 91 minutes. What happened to the 114 minutes that I was hearing about? I won't be double dipping on this one unless someone tells me a reason that the additional special features are worth double dipping for.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

IGN has a review of the ROTLD DVD where they give the film a 10 out of 10! I completely agree with them, but am surprised that a non-horror website would give the movie the props it deserves.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/822/822455p1.html

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

For those interested in seeing some deleted scenes from ROTLD, I will be adding some to my "Deleted Horror Scenes" site in the next few weeks. I'm currently uploading an extended version of Frank's cremation scene. More to come soon! (I'm really surprised MGM didn't include this stuff on their new dvd....)

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Fox responds to the Vault of Horror rating:

8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Good enough. I've never seen the film...this'll be a first.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

The censored bits are a bit distracting, but doesn't hurt the film overall IMO. At least Fox was smart enough to pair it up with Tales.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, I have to say I'd disagree with that. It does hurt the film. A couple of the missing scenes are iconic having appeared in monster movie books throughout the years. While you get the jist of what's going on, it's a really subpar release of the film. A properly remastered version with the bits and pieces put back in would be a must-have. The delivery is poor here.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Having never seen the film before, It didn't hurt my enjoyment of the film.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm sure it would help to have never seen the cut bits. I have the Vipco release in R2. It's a horrid print, but it IS uncut. So for me it's a step backward. Missing those scenes is quite sad.

13. Shinya

Shinya New Member

Having never seen the film before, the only thing that bothered me about this censored version was where they freeze framed the picture. It didn't look right at all. It's just obvious something was taken out there.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Gotcha - yes, you're right those sequences have been readily revealed for years...now we can't see them (like the Friday the 13th parts 1 and 2 cut scenes).
    I'll be the completist and seek out the R2.